Our formula for winning the next 4 games!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Our formula for winning the next 4 games!

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

We need to score 50+ points per game (12-14 points per quarter) since our defense is struggling.
We can do this if our run and shoot is operating on all cylinders!

Start Chevan and see if he can continue the momentum from the Fresno St game--if the offense stalls, bring in Cole.

This game is all about momentum swings; just like any sport!
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

BigWave96744

Re: Our formula for winning the next 4 games!

Post by BigWave96744 »

No more than going for it on 4th down unless it's the 4th Qtr and down by 2 scores or past midfield and over a 45 yard FG attempt. Otherwise punt or kick a FG.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Minimize the turnovers. Minimize the drops. Minimize the boneheaded penalties.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

In the other thread, someone said UH Defense looked slow.

I think the formula is rotation. Keep guys fresh. They are human too, and get tired.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Better bring it. SJSU has the best QB in the conference.

tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

yes SJSU QB Josh Love is very good but don't know if he is the best in the MW.
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

"Kind of sad" to think we past the mid point mark and it's almost over.

History has repeated itself where UH start out hot, GOAT, OMG, better than P12, then things seem to fall off at the middle, and had to scrap to the finish line.

UH Football really have not improved.

I'm not going to say it, because I never liked the Bob Wagner treatment. And I'm "OK" with a B minus program. I never expect Sugar Bowl 2.0. And with all the changes in $$ and recruiting, the odds are against UH, before even playing the game.

Using UA as an example since is this season. Kevin Sumlin was fired for still having 6 straight winning season at Texas AM.

What is UH or fan's expectations?

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:58 pm In the other thread, someone said UH Defense looked slow.

I think the formula is rotation. Keep guys fresh. They are human too, and get tired.
They are just slow. That's why they can't protect the edge. That's why QBs can break contain for big plays. That's why they can't get in position to make tackles.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

tom-WarriorNation wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:38 am yes SJSU QB Josh Love is very good but don't know if he is the best in the MW.
2nd in the conference in passing yards (in a non-R&S offense). 2nd in touchdown passes, only four interceptions. He's the best. Cole has too many INTs (and might not even start this week), and Jordan Love is having a horrendous season.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Either Demote Batoon and see what someone else can do or promote someone to be CO DC, something needs to change on the defensive side of the ball, it can’t hurt to try, I don’t think we can be much worse then we are now

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

UNLV, SDSU and Army will run, run, run it down our throats. UNLV also has a really good WR.

The only way we win at least 2 of the next 4 is to outscore them and hope for some defensive or ST score.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Many of you have said Defense is the weakness as UH just does not seem to be able to stop them. Offense numbers may look good - enough. So D is the problem no?

But Rolo is a QB, so he see things his way. Cole McDonald, forget the numbers, completed about 50% of his passes. That's failed in Rolo's book. Forget the other stats or the score. Rolo's view is probably this. So what if the other team scored 40 points. That means we need 42 points. So what if they scored 50 points, we need 56 points. Putting up 38 points = failed. The key to winning is to have more points than the other guy. True. But what about stopping the other team? UH's plan is to just score more points. We can do it in less than 2 minutes, so get chance. That's what the playbook said.

I don't think Rolo pays enough attention on the D side.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The D is what it is. You can't change it much at this point in the season. You aren't going to get more speed which is the problem. We cannot protect the edges. We cannot get pressure on the QBs and when we do our linemen and LBs cannot contain and catch QBs that can run.

To win we have to out score the remaining opponents which means 40+ points per game.

To win we need better game planning and better play calling. We have to have a game plan to beat aggressive man press on our smaller receivers and 8 deep. If we don't get a game plan to beat 8 deep coverage our receivers won't get separation, they will be pressed aggressively, you will see more drops, they won't be where they need to be, the passing windows will be smaller thus a lower passing completion percentage, possibly more INTs and less YAC.

SJSU has DBs with good size. They will press our receivers. I don't know what kind of speed they have. Our coaches have not come up with a good game plan to beat 8 deep since the last half of last year. I don't see how that will change. They had all season to break things down and have failed.

We will have to score 40+ or hope for turnovers by SJSU and the ball to bounce our way.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Great reply and details. Agree and true.

But that almost seems not fair. How come the "success" is pressure on the Offense to outscore?

It's like D gets the free pass. Yes, this is the personnel D has to work with. Why can't the Office be status quo? Or just be "good." It's like if the Offense is short of perfect, the team will loose.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

It is simple. Our offense is good when Cole runs. Tell him to go all out and use Chevan when he tires. It seems our offense can score with both quarterbacks. Turn them loose and use their strengths. I still think Victor would be a really good option lining up in the backfield as a runninback. Use him as a receiver. Linebackers will struggle trying to cover him. And he can throw. We need to find new ways to confuse defenses. Coming out in the 3rd quarter with the same O same O is not working. As for our defense. It is what it is. We can just hope that they make plays.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: