2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by Markeke »

Only problem I would have with Hilo having a at large bid for the Open, is they basically play D2 teams in their league. The ILH/OIA Open is a brutal schedule that will deplete you of prize players via injuies. Kahuku had that bug last year with 3 All Staters and 2 other starters bagged up. Pokii Atkins,Atimalala boys,Aina Chaves,MalosI Sam, Hoohuli,Kady, Tanner Moku,Soliai Howlett,Millare,many others got injured. Part of the game in the big boys.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Markeke wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 am Only problem I would have with Hilo having a at large bid for the Open, is they basically play D2 teams in their league. The ILH/OIA Open is a brutal schedule that will deplete you of prize players via injuies. Kahuku had that bug last year with 3 All Staters and 2 other starters bagged up. Pokii Atkins,Atimalala boys,Aina Chaves,MalosI Sam, Hoohuli,Kady, Tanner Moku,Soliai Howlett,Millare,many others got injured. Part of the game in the big boys.
That's true in regards of Hilo.

Open teams are just getting beat up this year. Kahuku went through it last year and Campbell is going through it this year. Fortunately, for St. Louis and Punahou they have a lot of depth so they can use the next man up strategy. Especially with Hugh Brady getting hurt. I thought their season was done but that Freshman QB John-Keawe Sagapolutele has really stepped up.

One thing for sure is that the state playoff football tournament for the Open Division is flawed.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kamehameha will try to play us tough, but will that be enough for them to even get within 3 TDs of us? This is a team that came within inches of losing to Farrington and Waianae and lost by 24 to Kapolei. Not to mention the fact that JK is connecting much better with our WRs than he did in the first KSK game. I think KSK will need a lot of things to go their way to make this a close game, much less win.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kamehameha has not improved on offense enough this year.Scoring points is still a problem.It would take a major light bulb going off in the Warrior's heads to suddenly say " I get it!",and then go out and score 40 against Punahou. I think theILH title game is going to be St.Louis -Punahou. Kamehameha has work to do in the off-season trying to find an offense that their players can execute and win with.

Open state playoff is flawed as long as they don't take the best four teams by head to head record. The regular season is over and the top four teams head to head are St.Louis,Punahou,Mililani,and Kahuku in that order. These are the teams that have earned the right to play each other in the Open state tournament. Just like last year, we are going to get a watered down version of a state playoff where one of the bottom four teams from the OIA is going to take a spot from either Punahou or St.Louis. Politics.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The KSK-Punahou game is before the Iolani-Damien game. I guess they think that one will be a better game than ours. Can’t blame them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

dahitman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dahitman »

I agree with unpaid and team hawaii that the State Open division format is flawed. However, ILH open teams knew the format at the beginning of the season. Bottom line, just win games. The ILH needs to have games and playing against the top OIA/ILH teams every week is good for players. Player are able to judge where they are every week against top competition on the other side of the scrimmage line. I hope this OIA/ILH format continues as its good for the boys.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:42 am Kamehameha has not improved on offense enough this year.Scoring points is still a problem.It would take a major light bulb going off in the Warrior's heads to suddenly say " I get it!",and then go out and score 40 against Punahou. I think theILH title game is going to be St.Louis -Punahou. Kamehameha has work to do in the off-season trying to find an offense that their players can execute and win with.

Open state playoff is flawed as long as they don't take the best four teams by head to head record. The regular season is over and the top four teams head to head are St.Louis,Punahou,Mililani,and Kahuku in that order. These are the teams that have earned the right to play each other in the Open state tournament. Just like last year, we are going to get a watered down version of a state playoff where one of the bottom four teams from the OIA is going to take a spot from either Punahou or St.Louis. Politics.
I remember last year, KSK made us sweat for over 40 minutes and played a respectable game against us the 1st time. The second time they played us, they got hammered and had nothing go their way.

As for your second point, I’ve always been a proponent of letting us play Campbell or Farrington for an opportunity to play the OIA champ. But if we can’t win the ILH, it is what it is.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I wonder what would be more embarrassing losing to Kamehameha or losing 42-7 to St Louis.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Forget about the threat of KSK beating us, lol!

As for D1, I hope the HHSAA puts Iolani on the side of the OIA runner-up and makes them face the daunting task of going through the OIA runner-up (of whom they didn't beat earlier) and, should they win, the OIA champ (of whom they didn't beat earlier) or Hilo.

And on another note, Mater Dei beat St. John Bosco, 38-24. This news is relevant to Mililani fans as Mililani likely didn't face the best team California's got to offer, but maybe the 2nd best.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Wow incredible games by Kaimuki and Moanalua!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Oh my god is kahuku seriously going to win with zero points scored by the offense

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Sweet revenge. After losing 32-0 at Mililani, winning 7-3 against Mililani for the OIA chanpionship. Don't ever count Kahuku out. I actually was counting on the defense to score. The last time Mililani murdered us on special teams. This time we flipped the table. Great game boys.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Thirteen,

1.St.Louis 9-0 DNP No.2 Punahou next.
2.Punahou 10-1 Beat Kamehameha.
3.Kahuku 8-3 OIA Open champs. Beat Mililani 7-3.Move up one place.
4.Mililani 8-4 Drop one spot with a loss.
5.Hilo 11-0 Beat Konawaena.Hold at five.
6.Campbell 6-5 Beat Farrington and go to states next month. Move up one spot.
7.Leilehua 9-2 Lost to Moanalua. Drop one spot.
8.Iolani 8-2 DNP. Hold at eight.
9.Moanalua 10-1 OIA D-I champs. Move up one spot.
10.Damien 8-2 Season over. Drop one spot.

Gotta stop these triple headers.Really messes up my sleep schedule. Good football,though. :)
Last edited by unpaid on Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I gotta wonder--have Kahuku and Punahou exposed Mililani's offense? Their passing game looked lackluster against Kamehameha of all teams (shocking since teams have been passing all over KSK's defense since September).

Speaking of pass defenses--is this a weakness for Kahuku (that'll come back to haunt them)? De Laura needed only one half to throw for 150 yards while JK threw for a season high 271.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

So does Kahuku have a 2 qb system? I'm favoring Materangi because his faster and more confident. Plus he does not fumble. When he gets under center, there is a better exchange. Plus his hand off under center hesitates the lbs. resulting in extra yards. His last drive against Mililani got them 2 first downs ,used up 3 Mil time outs, and ran the clock out.