2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by Markeke »

So after the OIA Open championship, the teams have a month off before States? Nice.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

teamhawaii wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:16 am In regards of the Open Division

Assuming the ILH team will be the #1 seed. Who will they play?

Guessing it would be the OIA runner up?

Than the OIA champ will play the #4 OIA seed which likely will be Campbell.

Doesn’t make sense the #1 seed will play the #3 seed but I can’t see them replaying the OIA final matchup again for states back to back.
The Crusaders have been ranked #1 and seeded #2 for a couple of years now. OIA wants us to go through both Kahuku and Mililani.

So this year, for arguments sake, let’s say.....
Mililani OIA #1 (#3 in the state)
Kahuku OIA #2 (#4 in the state)
Campbell OIA #3 (#4 in the state)

If St Louis goes to states, the #1 team in the state will be seeded BEHIND the #3 in the state.

Mililani has no transfer rules and have players from everywhere including Hoohuli the best player on their team. They will play the #4 team in the state and treated as a #1 seed. Sheesh

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:59 am Campbell? Can't figure them out. Maybe it's reality setting in on two way players or Johnson figured "I'll save it for Farrington"?? I hope they heal and finish strong. I also hope unpaid puts Kahuku above Hilo this week. Lol.
That Ceruti WR can get open but can’t catch. He drops very often. Hipa didn’t have his #1 target to throw to. Not having Bubba or Lactaoan was big also. The guy they had at RB was struggling

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:35 pm Kahuku clobbered Campbell, a team likely to make the Open state tournament. I’d love it if we (or St. Louis) could play Campbell as a play-in game (to see who is more deserving of a spot in the state tournament). I know we didn’t beat them by much (nor did Mililani) but I doubt that they’d give us much of a challenge as they did the 1st time (that is, if they played like they did against Kamehameha and Kahuku both times). I also doubt that they’d give Mililani (if they were to play them again) as much of challenge as they did the 1st time. They WOULD make people wonder how they came so close to beating Mililani at the beginning of the season.
@gopunahou: Well, Kahuku HC Carvalho said Campbell was missing a lot of their starters.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:59 am Campbell? Can't figure them out. Maybe it's reality setting in on two way players or Johnson figured "I'll save it for Farrington"?? I hope they heal and finish strong. I also hope unpaid puts Kahuku above Hilo this week. Lol.
@Markeke: Well, Campbell was missing a lot of starters. Having said that, Johnson had every reason to save his starters for Farrington, if that's what he did. Campbell was missing their #1 RB, Aina-Chaves, because he was stung by a bee before the game. I mean, of all things. One of their best receivers was out due to a knee injury. Having said that, it would have been good strategy for Campbell to save most of its guns for Farrington: It's almost certain Campbell wouldn't beat Kahuku, even if all of Campbell's players were healthy. So, lose to Kahuku, but Campbell can still go to States if they (Campbell) beat Farrington. And, Farrington is easier to beat. So, play Kahuku, but keep your powder dry for Farrington. Then, against Farrington, go all-out. Not only is Farrington easier to beat, but I suspect Campbell is favored. Beat Farrington, and you can still go to States. For Campbell, it really should have been all about getting to States, and not about advancing to the OIA Open title game. Schools have to be smart: Assess the probabilities, prioritize, and strategize based on those probabilities and priorities.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:25 am

Doesn’t make sense the #1 seed will play the #3 seed but I can’t see them replaying the OIA final matchup again for states back to back.
The Crusaders have been ranked #1 and seeded #2 for a couple of years now. OIA wants us to go through both Kahuku and Mililani.

If St Louis goes to states, the #1 team in the state will be seeded BEHIND the #3 in the state.

Mililani has no transfer rules and have players from everywhere including Hoohuli the best player on their team. They will play the #4 team in the state and treated as a #1 seed. Sheesh
@genks: Umm, St Louis is almost certain to win the state Open title. Let the seeding committee seed however they want; it almost certainly won't change the final outcome.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:16 pm

@genks: Umm, St Louis is almost certain to win the state Open title. Let the seeding committee seed however they want; it almost certainly won't change the final outcome.
Almost everybody said that in 2000.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Almost everybody said that in 2000.
@gopunahou: Was that the year Kahuku upset St Louis? Well, 1.) St Louis wasn't as good then as they are now. 2.) I'm guessing Kahuku was more balanced (run v pass) than they are now.
Looking at this year, St Louis' pass game is like a well-oiled machine; looks as good as any they've had. As good as Kahuku and Mililani are, I really find it hard to imagine either school beating St Louis. The problem for them is that, as good as St Louis' pass-game is, their D is also good, especially the LB corps. For the record, I would love to see Kahuku or Mililani beat St Louis, but it really probably isn't going to happen. Not this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

That 2000 St. Louis team entered with a 45-point average margin of victory, beat its stiffest competition (a Kamehameha team that only lost two games--as much as Kahuku that year) by 25 and 34 points, and had it all. Pesefea Fiaseu, the Rivers brothers, Kainoa Fernandez, Ikaika Curnan, Vaka Manapuna, Enoch McKeague, and Lyle Maiava graced that team. That's probably the greatest team that's never won a state championship.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:04 pm That 2000 St. Louis team entered with a 45-point average margin of victory, beat its stiffest competition (a Kamehameha team that only lost two games--as much as Kahuku that year) by 25 and 34 points, and had it all. Pesefea Fiaseu, the Rivers brothers, Kainoa Fernandez, Ikaika Curnan, Vaka Manapuna, Enoch McKeague, and Lyle Maiava graced that team. That's probably the greatest team that's never won a state championship.
@gopunahou: OK, is that the game St Louis lost by missing a FG late in the game? Or, was that a year or two afterwards? Anyway, we know that it's possible for St Louis to lose; even favored NFL teams lose. But, what are the odds? If they can get past Punahou to move-on to States, how likely is it, really, that Mililani or Kahuku will beat them? Guys have been saying that Punahou is #2, right behind St Louis. But, Punahou beat Mililani by only 3. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes-out, but I can't imagine anyone betting on any school besides St Louis.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:12 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:04 pm That 2000 St. Louis team entered with a 45-point average margin of victory, beat its stiffest competition (a Kamehameha team that only lost two games--as much as Kahuku that year) by 25 and 34 points, and had it all. Pesefea Fiaseu, the Rivers brothers, Kainoa Fernandez, Ikaika Curnan, Vaka Manapuna, Enoch McKeague, and Lyle Maiava graced that team. That's probably the greatest team that's never won a state championship.
@gopunahou: OK, is that the game St Louis lost by missing a FG late in the game? Or, was that a year or two afterwards? Anyway, we know that it's possible for St Louis to lose; even favored NFL teams lose. But, what are the odds? If they can get past Punahou to move-on to States, how likely is it, really, that Mililani or Kahuku will beat them? Guys have been saying that Punahou is #2, right behind St Louis. But, Punahou beat Mililani by only 3. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes-out, but I can't imagine anyone betting on any school besides St Louis.
No, the game you are thinking of was 2003. But also in 2000, St. Louis destroyed Waianae by 53 points (when Waianae won 10 games and hadn't declined).

Besides, common opponents mean nothing. If they did, we would've lost to Kahuku because we only beat Campbell by 10, when Campbell lost by 28 and 46 to Kahuku.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

at beginning of the season, I thought all three state champs had a chance to repeat. Waipahu is done. I still think St Louis and Lahainaluna will repeat. For D1, I think it's Iolani, but it's a close race. Leilehua and Moanalua look like they could get it done and it's yet to be seen about Hilo. Just sucks the tournament will probably be Hilo vs. Baldwin and ILH vs. OIA on the other side

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:49 am at beginning of the season, I thought all three state champs had a chance to repeat. Waipahu is done. I still think St Louis and Lahainaluna will repeat. For D1, I think it's Iolani, but it's a close race. Leilehua and Moanalua look like they could get it done and it's yet to be seen about Hilo. Just sucks the tournament will probably be Hilo vs. Baldwin and ILH vs. OIA on the other side
@Neighbor: Yeah, the Iolani v Damien game will probably be close. But, I think Damien has the edge because of their massive O-line. I know Iolani beat them the last time, but I'm thinking (and hoping) that there'll be a different outcome this time. It's not like Iolani blew them out the last time. And, for what it's worth, scoringlive has Hilo at #5. I think that's the highest ranking that school has ever had in football. They seem to have a very good O. Can Lahainaluna beat them? We'll see. If scoringlive's rankings are right, they can't. And of course, those two schools might not even meet in the state tourney.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The Hilo situation regarding seeding reminds me of the 2005 season, when there was controversy over Baldwin receiving a higher seed than we. Baldwin hadn’t lost a game (and feasted on weak teams) while we entered the state tournament with two losses and tied for first in the ILH with St. Louis and Kamehameha. Of course, we took Baldwin down, 30-7.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

That’s definitely true. St. Louis probably doesn’t care what seed they get.

With the resurgence of Hilo, I would like to see an at Large Bid in the Open perhaps for an outer island team. Schedule them vs. the OIA #3 or better yet ILH #2