Post game thoughts vs Oregon State!!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Post game thoughts vs Oregon State!!!!

Post by WarriorTyme »

Irse wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:47 am
cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 am Two more points.

- Recall when UH was video game awesome last year, and then Cole McDonald had that "mystery" injury and was not the same the rest of the season. OSU got a big boy sack on Cole. Full body 345lb sack. Look more like 375 to me. I hope Cole is ok. That's too much man that would crush the bones of anyone.

- OSU play reminds me of Chow Ball. Or how Chow wish UH could have played, Pac-12 Style. Ok, they loss the game. Honestly, when you see them lined up, UH does look smaller, like a high school team. Back in the 80s, guys like Al Noga, Joe Seumalo, Mark Odom, etc look just as big as "mainland" teams. Today, UH players just look smaller. Despite the downfall of Chow (we can blame that on coaching), I think he did get bigger guys on UH's team.
Unfortunately, bigger and slower. JJ also had smaller but quicker players. Rolo has to bring in guys that will fit the offensive and defensive schemes they want to play. I remember Mac saying he wanted speed more than anything else.
I agree that recruiting speed at WR and CB matters but height matters with the jump ball. I remember UNLV kept beating Hawaii by throwing jump balls to its tall WR. Glad to see Rolo and his staff are recruiting tall than 5'8" recruits in the secondary. Speed doesn't always translate in the O-Line and D-Line, athletic lineman with good size (not Fat over size pot belly lineman that Oregon State had). The BYU and LA Tech games last year was grown-man football time and Hawaii got man-handled in the trenches.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

several times during the arizona and oregon state game, the opponent's defense substituted when hawaii did not. stragglers jogging off the field were slow and could have been caught on field if hawaii had prepared a quick snap response whenever this occurred.

hawaii was on the line each time this happened and just allowed the opponent time to get off before snapping the ball.

a couple of times hawaii was on the line, in position and the opponents' defense was still mulling around, not set and was ripe for a quick snap.

hope someone watching the film at the u.h. sees this too and makes preparations for future occurrences.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

st808 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 am several times during the arizona and oregon state game, the opponent's defense substituted when hawaii did not. stragglers jogging off the field were slow and could have been caught on field if hawaii had prepared a quick snap response whenever this occurred.

hawaii was on the line each time this happened and just allowed the opponent time to get off before snapping the ball.

a couple of times hawaii was on the line, in position and the opponents' defense was still mulling around, not set and was ripe for a quick snap.

hope someone watching the film at the u.h. sees this too and makes preparations for future occurrences.
I noticed the same thing. There was a 3 and short (around 3 or4) and the defensive guy jumped, could have snapped it and gotten the first down. We need to take advantage of these types of situations.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Gus Lavaka and Kaleb Hayes get suspended half a game against Cal-Poly. Weak discipline.
https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2019 ... right.html

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yup, weak. 1/2 game is a good rest. And when you factor rotation and possession, that's nothing.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 pm Gus Lavaka and Kaleb Hayes get suspended half a game against Cal-Poly. Weak discipline.
the writer of the article starts lavaka's punches as a reaction from being pushed from behind. many o.state fans also neglect to include lavaka stiking sunia with a forearm as sunia jogged back to the bench after the last play. one o.state fan says the o.state team was warned about hawaii's reputation, what?

however, deep in the continuing stories or links is a story on lavaka and how devastated he was just seconds after throwing the forearm and punches. lavaka expressed remorse and says he apologized to every member of the team, coaches and staff. lavaka also tried to text sunia to apologize but sunia has no social media account. lavaka texted a mutual friend on the team who passed on lavaka's apology.

lavaka seems to have learned. a half game might be appropriate for him. his tears may show real remorse and commitment to improve.

hayes is in a different spectrum as he has a history of fists of fury for his own teammates. half a season suspension might not be enough to teach him respect and discipline. hayes showed no tears of remorse when he was informed of his half game suspension.
Last edited by st808 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Thanks for the insight.

Now regarding O-State’s discipline ... it’s probably one of the reasons they’re bottom dwellers of the PAC-12.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

st808 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 pm
shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 pm Gus Lavaka and Kaleb Hayes get suspended half a game against Cal-Poly. Weak discipline.
the writer of the article starts lavaka's punches as a reaction from being pushed from behind. many o.state fans also neglect to include lavaka stiking tuulima with a forearm as tuulima jogged back to the bench after the last play. one o.state fan says the o.state team was warned about hawaii's reputation, what?

however, deep in the continuing stories or links is a story on lavaka and how devastated he was just seconds after throwing the forearm and punches. lavaka expressed remorse and says he apologized to every member of the team, coaches and staff. lavaka also tried to text sunia to apologize but tuulima has no social media account. lavaka texted a mutual friend on the team who passed on lavaka's apology.

lavaka seems to have learned. a half game might be appropriate for him. his tears may show real remorse and commitment to improve.

hayes is in a different spectrum as he has a history of fists of fury for his own teammates. half a season suspension might not be enough to teach him respect and discipline. hayes showed no tears of remorse when he was informed of his half game suspension.
There were a lot of Oregon State fans watching the game via Facebook so they know for themselves which team had the undisciplined players. With both Hayes and Lavaka it was a quick reaction when they felt angry. It could happen in road rage, crowded situations or for that matter if their spouses or partners started getting on their case. There was no thinking before the punches or apparently before the punches. Sooo…., in my mind, great coaching Jonathan Smith (facetious). Way to build boys into kids not men. It's taking a punch that makes a man not throwing one. Congrats to the Bows for not responding in the same childish fashion that OSU did.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

There were a lot of Oregon State fans watching the game via Facebook so they know for themselves which team had the undisciplined players. With both Hayes and Lavaka it was a quick reaction when they felt angry. It could happen in road rage, crowded situations or for that matter if their spouses or partners started getting on their case. There was no thinking before the punches or apparently before the punches. Sooo…., in my mind, great coaching Jonathan Smith (facetious). Way to build boys into kids not men. It's taking a punch that makes a man not throwing one. Congrats to the Bows for not responding in the same childish fashion that OSU did.
went to the doctor's recently, the doctor is from oregon and told me that oregon state fans are upset at the lack of discipline on their team. they are totally embarrassed by hayes and lavaka.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

If the Oregon State football team can't beat other teams, they will beat other players and even their own players. Loss of control by the coaching staff, or poor recruiting of character.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

A half game suspension's not enough for throwing multiple punches after the game. That could have escalated into something ugly. I don't care if Lavaca apologized, he should have gotten at least a game, at the very least.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

Kalikus808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kalikus808 »

shrek2 wrote:
> [quote=uhwarriors post_id=599979 time=1567972772 user_id=111]
> [quote=shrek2 post_id=599978 time=1567970828 user_id=9078]
> Did you guys see the OSU player punch another OSU player in the head on the
> sideline after being called for offsetting personal fouls? The guy that
> got hit was wearing his helmet but I'm surprised by the uncontrollable
> behavior. Also, there was an altercation at the end of the game by OSU
> supposedly throwing some punches after the play was over. Anybody catch
> what happened? Glad UH had the win with class attitude.
> [/quote]
> Matautia ran into #63 on the last play. #63 put a forearm up into
> Matautia. Matautia pushes #63 from behind. #63 takes three swings at
> Matautia. The sequence starts at 0:13 of this video:
>
> https://twitter.com/CodyWKrupp/status/1 ... 0600486917
> [/quote]
> In the NFL, players get fined. The NCAA does nothing? NCAA is a great
> teacher, not to mention Jonathan Smith. OSU builds character. Thanks for
> the video uhwarriors.

The two players were suspended by the coach. Since the swings were after the game, the NCAA cannot do anything about it, and I don't think they would in general, that is a team issue.