Post game thoughts vs Oregon State!!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post game thoughts vs Oregon State!!!!

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm
uhwarriors wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am Did you guys see the OSU player punch another OSU player in the head on the sideline after being called for offsetting personal fouls? The guy that got hit was wearing his helmet but I'm surprised by the uncontrollable behavior. Also, there was an altercation at the end of the game by OSU supposedly throwing some punches after the play was over. Anybody catch what happened? Glad UH had the win with class attitude.
Matautia ran into #63 on the last play. #63 put a forearm up into Matautia. Matautia pushes #63 from behind. #63 takes three swings at Matautia. The sequence starts at 0:13 of this video:
https://twitter.com/CodyWKrupp/status/1170633310600486917
If he throws punches after the game, does he get suspended for the next game?
Not unless somebody makes it a big deal and makes national news. It usually falls on the school but then that's Oregon State who's struggling after a 2-10 season. My advice to kids is don't go to Oregon State where boys stay boys. As a fan, who really wants to watch a college team with a bunch of punks.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

We have a good team with good size, especially with Levao at center and on the right side of our O-line. The O-line overall is very solid in both pass and run plays. We have good/great skill position players with speed at WR and slot positions. Skilled RBs in Fu, Holly and my fav, Reed. The receivers need to focus, we can't have 4 drops in games. Cole has to take what the D gives him, he looks for the long ball too much and forces it.

Also, Cole needs to work on his technique, many balls are thrown too high for his receivers—Cole has the tools to be very good. M. Stovall is a special kind of talent, needs more touches, the opposing defense are aware and scared of his skills. Rolo can be creative and use him as decoy or had off on reverses, shovel pass, screens etc....GET HIM THE BALL IN OPEN SPACE——HE WILL CREATE!

The defense gotta get back to fundamentals and tackle better. They played a great 2nd half by not letting OSU score again. Kudos to the coaches and players for adjusting and stepping up their game. Against Washington we cannot afford a half game by the D.

Special teams play is good, but FG kicker gotta get back to fundamentals, I think he's "aiming" his FG attempts, and it's throwing off his whole rhythm. Those 3 missed FG's and that squib kick that went out of bounds, OH MY!

The team has good character, they never got down and fought back from 14 points down. Team discipline is a whole lot better than in past years, 4/40 in penalties. Nice job, Warriors!

Clean up the fundamentals and we will be hard to beat!
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Irse wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am Did you guys see the OSU player punch another OSU player in the head on the sideline after being called for offsetting personal fouls? The guy that got hit was wearing his helmet but I'm surprised by the uncontrollable behavior. Also, there was an altercation at the end of the game by OSU supposedly throwing some punches after the play was over. Anybody catch what happened? Glad UH had the win with class attitude.
Matautia ran into #63 on the last play. #63 put a forearm up into Matautia. Matautia pushes #63 from behind. #63 takes three swings at Matautia. The sequence starts at 0:13 of this video:
If he throws punches after the game, does he get suspended for the next game?
Rolo needs to send the tape to the MWC, the dude can't get away with throwing punches.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Rolo needs to send the tape to the MWC, the dude can't get away with throwing punches.
Yup, send it to MWC. You can let one side punch go, but not when he got 2-3 full big boy swings.

I'm not a teacher, so I don't need to "teach" the right thing. But whatever was said to him or not, good.

Local boys will protect each other. Like Rolo said post-game conference. Does not matter your color, race, haole, mainland, etc, you are Hawaii.

When you are not playing for Hawaii, you are on the other side. Don't matter if you are Poly or not. You are not one of us.

Sign with UH, then left. You are not part of Hawaii.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

They sure were sore losers. Hope they have another suck okole season.
ImageImage

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Defense played a hell of a second half, great adjustments was made at the half by Batoon and company.

We really need to improve our 3rd down efficiency 2 of 12 is not good and won’t win a lot of games with that kind of lack of efficiency on 3rd down

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

#63 is Gus Lavaka, former Hawaii commit back in 2012

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Thank God Gus did not come to UH. He's 25yo and still a kid. Hope he has a bright future back in Salt Lake City where he came from.

OSU's got some serious problems when you see a player hit one of their own teammates on the sidelines in the head in anger. This was seen by all Corvallis fans watching their team on Facebook.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:01 pm We have a good team with good size, especially with Levao at center and on the right side of our O-line. The O-line overall is very solid in both pass and run plays. We have good/great skill position players with speed at WR and slot positions. Skilled RBs in Fu, Holly and my fav, Reed. The receivers need to focus, we can't have 4 drops in games. Cole has to take what the D gives him, he looks for the long ball too much and forces it.

Also, Cole needs to work on his technique, many balls are thrown too high for his receivers—Cole has the tools to be very good. M. Stovall is a special kind of talent, needs more touches, the opposing defense are aware and scared of his skills. Rolo can be creative and use him as decoy or had off on reverses, shovel pass, screens etc....GET HIM THE BALL IN OPEN SPACE——HE WILL CREATE!

The defense gotta get back to fundamentals and tackle better. They played a great 2nd half by not letting OSU score again. Kudos to the coaches and players for adjusting and stepping up their game. Against Washington we cannot afford a half game by the D.

Special teams play is good, but FG kicker gotta get back to fundamentals, I think he's "aiming" his FG attempts, and it's throwing off his whole rhythm. Those 3 missed FG's and that squib kick that went out of bounds, OH MY!

The team has good character, they never got down and fought back from 14 points down. Team discipline is a whole lot better than in past years, 4/40 in penalties. Nice job, Warriors!

Clean up the fundamentals and we will be hard to beat!
Agreed this OL has played very well against two PAC10 Ds. I am very pleased with how they are playing. Protection of Cole has been very good and run blocking will only get better as the season progresses.

Drops do hurt our possession passing game. I don't mind going long every now and then. It depends on the game situation. You have to show the D that you can go long even if it isn't completed. You have to keep the DBs honest. If the DBs know you can run by them they have to respect you and play off of you. If you can't run pass a DB they will press you and take you out of your routes, clutter the passing lanes and shrink the field which will also affect the running game. You have to stretch the field. We have had QBs who couldn't go deep and that created a lot of problems for the R&S. JJ used to call a deep pass just to get the DBs to play deeper.

Yes Stovall needs to get more touches. Didn't think of the reverse or a jet sweep. Get him open in space.

There were a few plays where Cole and the WRs weren't on the same page.

We still don't have the speed we need on the DL and LB positions. Arm tackles won't be effective against good running backs. They will run through them. Lots of missed tackles. You called it.

Well this team knows how to toughen up when the going gets tough, they stick together, they make adjustments and they know how to win and that is a great sign.

Take what the D gives you, take care of the ball, minimize the drops and this team could be special.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A great 2-0 start for the season. Meskell will rebound. McDonald's INT may have been a result of him getting hit as he was throwing. His fumble was also unfortunate but he needed to make a faster decision because he was holding onto the ball for way too long. Everything is correctable. Hope that the injured players heal up. Big game looming at UDub. Go Warriors!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:42 pm 2-0. More wins vs. the P5 in the last few weeks than the 5+ years prior. Curious to see how this offense looks against a defense that isn't horrible.

Not getting carried away though. This week's contest will reveal a lot about UH.
I agree. Washington will be a different animal. I think our offense will have to play better.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

UH Athletics just posted an almost 'NFL Films' type recap of the game. pretty nice

Link

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:27 am A great 2-0 start for the season. Meskell will rebound. McDonald's INT may have been a result of him getting hit as he was throwing. His fumble was also unfortunate but he needed to make a faster decision because he was holding onto the ball for way too long. Everything is correctable. Hope that the injured players heal up. Big game looming at UDub. Go Warriors!
Yes, he was hit. If he wasn't hit JoJo would have had TD 5.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Two more points.

- Recall when UH was video game awesome last year, and then Cole McDonald had that "mystery" injury and was not the same the rest of the season. OSU got a big boy sack on Cole. Full body 345lb sack. Look more like 375 to me. I hope Cole is ok. That's too much man that would crush the bones of anyone.

- OSU play reminds me of Chow Ball. Or how Chow wish UH could have played, Pac-12 Style. Ok, they loss the game. Honestly, when you see them lined up, UH does look smaller, like a high school team. Back in the 80s, guys like Al Noga, Joe Seumalo, Mark Odom, etc look just as big as "mainland" teams. Today, UH players just look smaller. Despite the downfall of Chow (we can blame that on coaching), I think he did get bigger guys on UH's team.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 am Two more points.

- Recall when UH was video game awesome last year, and then Cole McDonald had that "mystery" injury and was not the same the rest of the season. OSU got a big boy sack on Cole. Full body 345lb sack. Look more like 375 to me. I hope Cole is ok. That's too much man that would crush the bones of anyone.

- OSU play reminds me of Chow Ball. Or how Chow wish UH could have played, Pac-12 Style. Ok, they loss the game. Honestly, when you see them lined up, UH does look smaller, like a high school team. Back in the 80s, guys like Al Noga, Joe Seumalo, Mark Odom, etc look just as big as "mainland" teams. Today, UH players just look smaller. Despite the downfall of Chow (we can blame that on coaching), I think he did get bigger guys on UH's team.
Unfortunately, bigger and slower. JJ also had smaller but quicker players. Rolo has to bring in guys that will fit the offensive and defensive schemes they want to play. I remember Mac saying he wanted speed more than anything else.
ImageImage