2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by Markeke »

Some schools are known for playing dirty? Wow. Maybe back in the 70's, but I see today's hs athletes as more mature, more advance. Plus the fact being that refs are really on it. But sometimes players do get testy . Just saying.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm There is one major concern about Kahuku this week—will they suffer the same fate that our 2008 team suffered? We went on a mainland trip and won by 20+ points before taking on St. Louis the week after. We lost, 40-19. Of course, it was our only loss of the season.😄
Lol, we'll take it if it means the same finish as your 2008 team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:13 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 pm
Regardless, the fact that St. Louis beat Kamehameha by much more than Kahuku did means nothing.
@gopunahou: OK, I don't know how you got there. St Louis is obviously a much better team than Kahuku. I don't like saying that, because I'd rather have Kahuku High than St Louis School. But, things are what they are. It does mean everything that Kahuku beat Kamehameha by 8, while St Louis beat Kamehameha by 35.
Um, no. If that WERE the case, Leilehua would beat us since they beat Farrington by more than we did. And Dan Marino would have a ring. Common opponents mean NOTHING.
@gopunahou:
Umm, again: If we're talking about St Louis, all comparisons/analogies are out the window. We can post anything we want here, but in the end you can be 95% certain that Punahou will not be St Louis. That's just how it is this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:19 pm Some schools are known for playing dirty? Wow. Maybe back in the 70's, but I see today's hs athletes as more mature, more advance. Plus the fact being that refs are really on it. But sometimes players do get testy . Just saying.
@Markeke: Oh no. Some schools were still playing dirty as recently as a year or two ago. Again, I'm not wanting to mention their names, as that might tick-off their alumni who might be reading here.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm There is one major concern about Kahuku this week—will they suffer the same fate that our 2008 team suffered? We went on a mainland trip and won by 20+ points before taking on St. Louis the week after. We lost, 40-19. Of course, it was our only loss of the season.😄
Lol, we'll take it if it means the same finish as your 2008 team.
@Markeke: I'd love for that to happen. I would much rather have Kahuku High than St Louis School. But, I think you and I know that it's almost certainly not going to happen.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 am
gopunahou wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:13 pm

@gopunahou: OK, I don't know how you got there. St Louis is obviously a much better team than Kahuku. I don't like saying that, because I'd rather have Kahuku High than St Louis School. But, things are what they are. It does mean everything that Kahuku beat Kamehameha by 8, while St Louis beat Kamehameha by 35.
Um, no. If that WERE the case, Leilehua would beat us since they beat Farrington by more than we did. And Dan Marino would have a ring. Common opponents mean NOTHING.
@gopunahou:
Umm, again: If we're talking about St Louis, all comparisons/analogies are out the window. We can post anything we want here, but in the end you can be 95% certain that Punahou will not beat St Louis. That's just how it is this year. (Sorry, this is a repeat of an earlier post; just wanted to correct a typo. System wouldn't let me delete the earlier post.)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

You guys saw Farrington's #75, the O-lineman? He's 6'6", 422 lbs. I'd hate to have to block him; he'd pancake my butt. Farrington plays Kamehameha next, right? Good luck to whoever has to block him. I don't think any school has any D-lineman fat enough to block him. Guess you double-team and block low. Heck, that guy can injure you just by dropping on you or falling on you. You could get internal injuries despite all your pads. Obviously, Kapolei couldn't stop him. Earlier today, I was talking to a guy who said you can't win with just a run game, you need passing. Someone needs to tell Farrington that; they simply ran the ball down Kapolei's throat for the W. Someone also needs to tell Kahuku that; they simply ran the ball down Campbell's throat for the W. Not only that; both games weren't even close. Both Farrington and Kahuku played good old-fashioned smashmouth ball; nothing fancy, everything physical.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 pm You guys saw Farrington's #75, the O-lineman? He's 6'6", 422 lbs. I'd hate to have to block him; he'd pancake my butt. Farrington plays Kamehameha next, right? Good luck to whoever has to block him. I don't think any school has any D-lineman fat enough to block him. Guess you double-team and block low. Heck, that guy can injure you just by dropping on you or falling on you. You could get internal injuries despite all your pads. Obviously, Kapolei couldn't stop him. Earlier today, I was talking to a guy who said you can't win with just a run game, you need passing. Someone needs to tell Farrington that; they simply ran the ball down Kapolei's throat for the W. Someone also needs to tell Kahuku that; they simply ran the ball down Campbell's throat for the W. Not only that; both games weren't even close. Both Farrington and Kahuku played good old-fashioned smashmouth ball; nothing fancy, everything physical.
You can get away with being one dimensional in highschool. Look at Castle vs Moanalua last year. Wildcat all night long.

Having the defense to play field position and position time is also critical. Kahuku used to be able to lean on their defense. 3 and out is inevitable when you are run centered. 1 false start or holding and you are probably looking at punting. The defense needs to get the ball back.

I don’t think the Govs are there. Somehow they have Kapolei’s number. It’s really weird but Kapolei just can’t beat Farrington.

But there’s levels to everything, the higher the level the harder is it to succeed being one dimensional

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:52 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 pm You guys saw Farrington's #75, the O-lineman? He's 6'6", 422 lbs. I'd hate to have to block him; he'd pancake my butt. Farrington plays Kamehameha next, right? Good luck to whoever has to block him. I don't think any school has any D-lineman fat enough to block him. Guess you double-team and block low. Heck, that guy can injure you just by dropping on you or falling on you. You could get internal injuries despite all your pads. Obviously, Kapolei couldn't stop him. Earlier today, I was talking to a guy who said you can't win with just a run game, you need passing. Someone needs to tell Farrington that; they simply ran the ball down Kapolei's throat for the W. Someone also needs to tell Kahuku that; they simply ran the ball down Campbell's throat for the W. Not only that; both games weren't even close. Both Farrington and Kahuku played good old-fashioned smashmouth ball; nothing fancy, everything physical.
You can get away with being one dimensional in highschool. Look at Castle vs Moanalua last year. Wildcat all night long.

Having the defense to play field position and position time is also critical. Kahuku used to be able to lean on their defense. 3 and out is inevitable when you are run centered. 1 false start or holding and you are probably looking at punting. The defense needs to get the ball back.

I don’t think the Govs are there. Somehow they have Kapolei’s number. It’s really weird but Kapolei just can’t beat Farrington.

But there’s levels to everything, the higher the level the harder is it to succeed being one dimensional
@genks: Yes, I remember that Castle v Moanalua game. Moanalua's D was vaunted going into that game, but Castle's O-line just went smashmouth, keeping some of their fattest guys in, and they were pushing Moanalua's D-line all over the field, wearing 'em out.

The thing about Kahuku is that their D is pretty good overall, but their secondary as an individual unit is somewhat iffy. And that's the worst thing when your toughest opponents in Open are pass-oriented schools like St Louis and Punahou.

Sometimes it seems that Kapolei is under some kind of curse when they play Farrington, but this year there was nothing mystical or mysterious about it. Farrington tried to incorporate a pass-game against Mililani, but lost badly (35-0? Something like that.) Farrington's OC apparently woke-up one day and said, "Hey, to heck with trying to pass. We've got a thick O-line, we're going to play smashmouth against Kapolei." And, that's exactly what they did. Kapolei's D-line simply got steamrolled. I'm wondering how Farrington will do against Kamehameha; I think they have a chance. Kamehameha's O sucks; they use two QBs, but neither one seems to be very good. If Farrington keeps all their fat guys on the O-line and tries to run the ball down Kamehameha's throat, I just don't see how Kamehameha's defensive front-seven can stand-up to that. I think their defensive down-linemen will just get worn-out. They're tough, but getting constantly run-blocked by Farrington's fat O-line takes a toll.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm

@genks: Yes, I remember that Castle v Moanalua game. Moanalua's D was vaunted going into that game, but Castle's O-line just went smashmouth, keeping some of their fattest guys in, and they were pushing Moanalua's D-line all over the field, wearing 'em out.

The thing about Kahuku is that their D is pretty good overall, but their secondary as an individual unit is somewhat iffy. And that's the worst thing when your toughest opponents in Open are pass-oriented schools like St Louis and Punahou.

Sometimes it seems that Kapolei is under some kind of curse when they play Farrington, but this year there was nothing mystical or mysterious about it. Farrington tried to incorporate a pass-game against Mililani, but lost badly (35-0? Something like that.) Farrington's OC apparently woke-up one day and said, "Hey, to heck with trying to pass. We've got a thick O-line, we're going to play smashmouth against Kapolei." And, that's exactly what they did. Kapolei's D-line simply got steamrolled. I'm wondering how Farrington will do against Kamehameha; I think they have a chance. Kamehameha's O sucks; they use two QBs, but neither one seems to be very good. If Farrington keeps all their fat guys on the O-line and tries to run the ball down Kamehameha's throat, I just don't see how Kamehameha's defensive front-seven can stand-up to that. I think their defensive down-linemen will just get worn-out. They're tough, but getting constantly run-blocked by Farrington's fat O-line takes a toll.
Well one way the Kam defense doesn’t get worn down is if Kam is able to run on Farrington. Kam would also love to grind out yards and pound the ball. We’ll see how it goes. Kam again has smaller backs. Tough guys but not big power RBs like Kahuku. I’m not 100% sure who will be better running the ball but I do know that Kam has the better defense. Interesting match up.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Well one way the Kam defense doesn’t get worn down is if Kam is able to run on Farrington. Kam would also love to grind out yards and pound the ball. We’ll see how it goes. Kam again has smaller backs. Tough guys but not big power RBs like Kahuku. I’m not 100% sure who will be better running the ball but I do know that Kam has the better defense. Interesting match up.
@genks: Well, Kamehameha's run game has sucked, the past several games. Kamehameha does have a very decent O-line; perhaps they could run the ball on Farrington. Their RB is Clemente, and like you said, he's not a power back, but he is fast. I think this might be one game that Kamehameha's D is actually looking forward to. Their D might be thinking, "For once we're playing someone that our sucky O can actually move the ball on, and score on. This takes some pressure off of us." Yet, how bad is Farrington's D? They held Kapolei to just 8 points, right? What I'm also interested in is how Kamehameha's D-line deals with Farrington's #75, the 6'6" 422-lb O-lineman. Double-team? Take-out his legs? The kid is huge.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

As the Castle Moanalua game went, the total game plan by Hao was the same as when he implemented it at Kahuku 2015 State run. It's uses a versitle runner with a stout line and big blocking backs. It's a Stanford play sets. The runner chose the hole to run thru. 4 yard minimum keeps the ball going. Eventually yardage gets bigger or a short pass incoporated.
As for Farrington, they will give Kahuku the hardest challenge. Hey have the bulk to make a stand. On offense, the line is massive and will give Kahuku a dose of their medicine. Kahuku by 7. As for St.Louis, a learning experience. I really look for a rematch with Mililani. Neutral Aloha stadium. Remember it's a chess match at the end of season. Kahuku can lose both to StL.and Punahou and be in the States. With OIA Kapolei and Farrington left, I see them as #2 in the start of OIA championship. Key words, stay healthy. Fight another day.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 pm
genks wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm

@genks: Well, Kamehameha's run game has sucked, the past several games. Kamehameha does have a very decent O-line; perhaps they could run the ball on Farrington. Their RB is Clemente, and like you said, he's not a power back, but he is fast. I think this might be one game that Kamehameha's D is actually looking forward to. Their D might be thinking, "For once we're playing someone that our sucky O can actually move the ball on, and score on. This takes some pressure off of us." Yet, how bad is Farrington's D? They held Kapolei to just 8 points, right? What I'm also interested in is how Kamehameha's D-line deals with Farrington's #75, the 6'6" 422-lb O-lineman. Double-team? Take-out his legs? The kid is huge.
Kam’s run game has been poop down but they played Kahuku, Punahou, St Louis, and put points up against Fagaitua. I don’t think Farrington’s defense is anywhere near those 4 teams

I almost want to throw stats from the Kapolei game out the window because somehow Farrington just has Kapolei’s number. It’s so strange. Even when Kapolei had that super team with Taulia, those receivers, all those LBs with D1 offers, Myron Tagovailoa Amosa, etc. Farrington beat them mainly with Faamatau. Even Waianae was able to shut down Faamatau with less talent than Kapolei. But Farrington did look good against Kapolei.

That giant Lineman at Farrington? I guess gotta scheme for that guy. Can’t let him go hat on a hat

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 pm As the Castle Moanalua game went, the total game plan by Hao was the same as when he implemented it at Kahuku 2015 State run. It's uses a versitle runner with a stout line and big blocking backs. It's a Stanford play sets. The runner chose the hole to run thru. 4 yard minimum keeps the ball going. Eventually yardage gets bigger or a short pass incoporated.
As for Farrington, they will give Kahuku the hardest challenge. Hey have the bulk to make a stand. On offense, the line is massive and will give Kahuku a dose of their medicine. Kahuku by 7. As for St.Louis, a learning experience. I really look for a rematch with Mililani. Neutral Aloha stadium. Remember it's a chess match at the end of season. Kahuku can lose both to StL.and Punahou and be in the States. With OIA Kapolei and Farrington left, I see them as #2 in the start of OIA championship. Key words, stay healthy. Fight another day.
Kahuku is always very dangerous and very tough. I always get excited when my boys line up against Kahuku because it’s such an exciting match up. Can’t ever count Kahuku out against anyone.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Each game is a different animal.

Crusaders smash Farrington, I think allowing less than 5 yards of actual offense. Only a screwed up kick return allowed them to score.

Crusaders struggle with Kapolei, eventually bringing starters back in to put the game away.

Farrington beats Kapolei 13-0 lol