2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:05 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:40 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:31 pm Kahuku crushed Timpview, 34-7. My hope is that the reserves played during all or most of the 4th quarter.
@gopunahou:
I gotta hand it you: You're very gracious for showing concern for Kahuku's starters, even though they'll pose a physical challenge for Punahou. genks thinks Punahou will beat Kahuku, and he might be right. All I know is that Kahuku has a good run game, with a big and physical O. The only player on their O who isn't big and physical is their QB. Other than him, even their blocking backs are big and physical. Kahuku also has a good D. All that's missing is a pass game. Apparently, genks thinks Punahou will pass and D their way to a win over Kahuku. I don't know if Punahou can run the ball on Kahuku.
Yes very gracious. It probably has ZERO to do with the fact that Kahuku faces the Crusaders next week lol.

Kahuku is big and physical but execution beats that. We are big in some positions but not like last year. If we execute, we score. If our defense executes, they don’t score. Looking forward to that game.

What works well in Punahou’s favor is that they don’t see STL till pretty late in the season, giving their new qb lot of time to gain experience.
@genks: Well, of course, St Louis will beat Kahuku. The only thing St Louis has to worry about is injuries. Kahuku is big, strong, and physical. Knowing that they can't win, they have an incentive to at least make St Louis pay a physical price. And, as Kahuku's frustration mounts during the game, their players might get even more physically aggressive. You figure Kahuku's players will be physically aggressive even from the get-go, borne of the frustration and resentment of knowing they can't win. They might very well be thinking throughout the game, "Make St Louis pay."

Doesn't matter when Punahou plays St Louis; St Louis will win. Sure, Sagapolutele will have time to improve. But that also gives him more time to get injured. Don't forget what happened to Brady.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 am Week Six,

1.St.Louis 4-0 beat Kamehameha. No.4 Kahuku next.
2.Punahou 5-0 DNP. Waianae next.
3.Mililani 5-0 beat Waianae. Kamehameha next.
4.Kahuku 4-1 beat Timpview,UT. Crusaders next.
5.Campbell 2-3 beat O'Connor,AZ. No.8 Kapolei next.
6.Hilo 4-0 beat Waiakea 104-0 Move up one place.
7.Iolani 4-1 beat Kailua. Waipahu next. Move up two spots.
8.Kapolei 3-3 lost to unranked Farrington. Sabers next. Drop down two spots.
9.Damien 5-0 beat Castle. Leilehua next. Move up one.
10.Moanalua 4-0 beat Sierra Vista,NV. Aiea next. Debuts at ten.

Kamehameha drops out of the Top Ten for now.All three mainland schools fell to Hawaii teams as the win streak against out of state opponents continues.

Open head to head standing,

Mililani 4-0
St.Louis 3-0
Punahou 3-0
Kahuku 3-1
Campbell 1-3
Farrington 1-3
Kapolei 1-3
Kamehameha 0-3
Waianae 0-3
That Hilo score is so crazy, unless the back ups kept scoring, there’s no need for that
@genks: You can bet Hilo High is now on Waiakea High's doo-doo list. In Hawaii, you just don't do what Hilo did. Hilo's HC will likely get on other coaches' doo-doo lists, too. This may take years for Hilo High to live-down.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:40 pm

@gopunahou:
I gotta hand it you: You're very gracious for showing concern for Kahuku's starters, even though they'll pose a physical challenge for Punahou. genks thinks Punahou will beat Kahuku, and he might be right. All I know is that Kahuku has a good run game, with a big and physical O. The only player on their O who isn't big and physical is their QB. Other than him, even their blocking backs are big and physical. Kahuku also has a good D. All that's missing is a pass game. Apparently, genks thinks Punahou will pass and D their way to a win over Kahuku. I don't know if Punahou can run the ball on Kahuku.
Yes very gracious. It probably has ZERO to do with the fact that Kahuku faces the Crusaders next week lol.

Kahuku is big and physical but execution beats that. We are big in some positions but not like last year. If we execute, we score. If our defense executes, they don’t score. Looking forward to that game.

What works well in Punahou’s favor is that they don’t see STL till pretty late in the season, giving their new qb lot of time to gain experience.
@genks: Well, of course, St Louis will beat Kahuku. The only thing St Louis has to worry about is injuries. Kahuku is big, strong, and physical. Knowing that they can't win, they have an incentive to at least make St Louis pay a physical price. And, as Kahuku's frustration mounts during the game, their players might get even more physically aggressive. You figure Kahuku's players will be physically aggressive even from the get-go, borne of the frustration and resentment of knowing they can't win. They might very well be thinking throughout the game, "Make St Louis pay."

Doesn't matter when Punahou plays St Louis; St Louis will win. Sure, Sagapolutele will have time to improve. But that also gives him more time to get injured. Don't forget what happened to Brady.
I think I heard that Farrington took Malosi Sam out, how crazy is it that they’ve now taken Mililani and Punahou’s important players.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 pm

@genks: Well, of course, St Louis will beat Kahuku. The only thing St Louis has to worry about is injuries. Kahuku is big, strong, and physical. Knowing that they can't win, they have an incentive to at least make St Louis pay a physical price. And, as Kahuku's frustration mounts during the game, their players might get even more physically aggressive. You figure Kahuku' players will be physically aggressive even from the get-go, borne of the frustration and resentment of knowing they can't win. They might very well be thinking throughout the game, "Make St Louis pay."

I think I heard that Farrington took Malosi Sam out, how crazy is it that they’ve now taken Mililani and Punahou’s important players.
@genks: No wonder Sam didn't play the last two games. I can't even remember Farrington playing Mililani. Anyway, Farrington has been big and physical--especially on the O-line--for at least 30 years. Interestingly, both Brady and Sam are on offense, so Farrington's D took them out. Well, as far as I know, Farrington doesn't have a reputation for playing dirty. So, it might have simply been physical play in both cases. Even without Sam, though, Mililani was able to kick Waianae's butts last night, 50-something to 7, I think. Didn't Mililani QB Agbayani have 200+ yards passing? Looks like Mililani has a pass game now. Now, what about Sam? Is he out for the season?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:23 pm
genks wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 pm

@genks: Well, of course, St Louis will beat Kahuku. The only thing St Louis has to worry about is injuries. Kahuku is big, strong, and physical. Knowing that they can't win, they have an incentive to at least make St Louis pay a physical price. And, as Kahuku's frustration mounts during the game, their players might get even more physically aggressive. You figure Kahuku' players will be physically aggressive even from the get-go, borne of the frustration and resentment of knowing they can't win. They might very well be thinking throughout the game, "Make St Louis pay."

@genks: No wonder Sam didn't play the last two games. I can't even remember Farrington playing Mililani. Anyway, Farrington has been big and physical--especially on the O-line--for at least 30 years. Interestingly, both Brady and Sam are on offense, so Farrington's D took them out. Well, as far as I know, Farrington doesn't have a reputation for playing dirty. So, it might have simply been physical play in both cases. Even without Sam, though, Mililani was able to kick Waianae's butts last night, 50-something to 7, I think. Didn't Mililani QB Agbayani have 200+ yards passing? Looks like Mililani has a pass game now. Now, what about Sam? Is he out for the season?
I haven’t seen either play, can’t comment on how the 2 injuries happened and I’m not saying Farrington is playing dirty.

I swear I heard on the tv yesterday that Sam was injured against the Govs, ankle or something.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

There is one major concern about Kahuku this week—will they suffer the same fate that our 2008 team suffered? We went on a mainland trip and won by 20+ points before taking on St. Louis the week after. We lost, 40-19. Of course, it was our only loss of the season.😄
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm There is one major concern about Kahuku this week—will they suffer the same fate that our 2008 team suffered? We went on a mainland trip and won by 20+ points before taking on St. Louis the week after. We lost, 40-19. Of course, it was our only loss of the season.😄
@gopunahou: I really don't know what Kahuku is gonna do. Like Kamehameha, Kahuku has a big, physical O-line. But Kamehameha's big, physical O-line apparently couldn't do squat against St Louis' defensive front-seven. The only advantage Kahuku seems to have on O is that they have big, physical blocking-backs; at least one big, physical RB, and a QB who seems to be better than both of the QBs Kamehameha used against St Louis. On D, I think Kahuku is about even with Kamehameha, though Kamehameha might have a better secondary. Unlike the '08 Punahou team, this year's Kahuku team has no illusions about beating St Louis. The only thing Kahuku can hope to do is to make St Louis pay a physical price, particulary St Louis' D. That's because Kahuku is big and physical on O. Kahuku's O needs to physically pound St Louis' defensive front-seven; make 'em pay.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm There is one major concern about Kahuku this week—will they suffer the same fate that our 2008 team suffered? We went on a mainland trip and won by 20+ points before taking on St. Louis the week after. We lost, 40-19. Of course, it was our only loss of the season.😄
@gopunahou: I really don't know what Kahuku is gonna do. Like Kamehameha, Kahuku has a big, physical O-line. But Kamehameha's big, physical O-line apparently couldn't do squat against St Louis' defensive front-seven. The only advantage Kahuku seems to have on O is that they have big, physical blocking-backs; at least one big, physical RB, and a QB who seems to be better than both of the QBs Kamehameha used against St Louis. On D, I think Kahuku is about even with Kamehameha, though Kamehameha might have a better secondary. Unlike the '08 Punahou team, this year's Kahuku team has no illusions about beating St Louis. The only thing Kahuku can hope to do is to make St Louis pay a physical price, particulary St Louis' D. That's because Kahuku is big and physical on O. Kahuku's O needs to physically pound St Louis' defensive front-seven; make 'em pay.
Regardless, the fact that St. Louis beat Kamehameha by much more than Kahuku did means nothing.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Re Kahuku vs St Louis - Regardless of what happens (I'll admit, more than likely will be a loss), there still will alot of football left to play.

Couple of things for Big Red:
1) Coach sterling is learning you can't change the DNA over night or even over the course of a season. I like that he has allowed the O to get back to it's roots and the basics.
2) Even w/o our top O lineman, it looks like the Oline is coming along as a unit and improving.
3) Matagi and Kaluna are beasts and are typical Big Red Thunder and lightning combo; Matagi isn't as fast or flashy as rb's past, but he's a good one.
4) Tiger is maturing as a qb
5) We have some pretty decent receivers and te's
6) The D is nasty, BUT, the secondary is the weakest part. For the most part, Kaniho can cover pretty much every receiver in the state, but the St Lulu receivers will win a good chunk of the battles because Kaniho doesn't have much help. Not saying the rest of the secondary sucks, but athletically, they just don't compare to db's of years past.

Side not: A rematch with Mililani will be a much better game for Big Red (win or lose).

St Louis is St Louis. Just a very well oiled machine.

RRFL!!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I can’t imagine our game against Waianae being competitive. I say put them away early and let our starters rest.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

The Open is a very physical league. I believe All teams play with respect. All teams have big physical players. Players get rolled up on all the time. It's part if the game. Most injuries are knee ,ankle and hamstrings. Lots of occur by players making awkward cuts without any contacts. So I don't believe any team takes out key players.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 pm
Regardless, the fact that St. Louis beat Kamehameha by much more than Kahuku did means nothing.
@gopunahou: OK, I don't know how you got there. St Louis is obviously a much better team than Kahuku. I don't like saying that, because I'd rather have Kahuku High than St Louis School. But, things are what they are. It does mean everything that Kahuku beat Kamehameha by 8, while St Louis beat Kamehameha by 35.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:12 pm I can’t imagine our game against Waianae being competitive. I say put them away early and let our starters rest.
@gopunahou: That's probably exactly what Punahou will do.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:25 pm The Open is a very physical league. I believe All teams play with respect. All teams have big physical players. Players get rolled up on all the time. It's part if the game. Most injuries are knee ,ankle and hamstrings. Lots of occur by players making awkward cuts without any contacts. So I don't believe any team takes out key players.
@Markeke: Well, I'd say it's a mixed bag. Some schools are known for playing dirty; I have a few in mind, but I'm not going to mention them. Having said that, it's of course true that not all football injuries are due to dirty play. For example, lots of receivers get injured by the way their foot lands on the field, after they jump-up to make a catch. Sometimes the other school's DB isn't even that close to the play. Also, lots of injuries occur during practice. But, I will say that some schools are known for dirty play. But, that doesn't mean they play dirty on every play. Some schools tend to play dirty, but they don't necessarily play dirty all the time. It's kind of like that. Again, I say all that with a few schools in mind.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:13 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 pm

@gopunahou: OK, I don't know how you got there. St Louis is obviously a much better team than Kahuku. I don't like saying that, because I'd rather have Kahuku High than St Louis School. But, things are what they are. It does mean everything that Kahuku beat Kamehameha by 8, while St Louis beat Kamehameha by 35.
Um, no. If that WERE the case, Leilehua would beat us since they beat Farrington by more than we did. And Dan Marino would have a ring. Common opponents mean NOTHING.