*** Official 2019 UH vs Arizona Preview ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

*** Official 2019 UH vs Arizona Preview ***

Post by BigWave96744 »

- Arizona lead the series 5-0
- 1 home game was played in Honolulu Stadium (1951), 2 games were played at Aloha Stadium (77, 98) and 2 in Arizona Stadium (1952, 2016)
- 1977 Dick Tomey was the HC for Hawaii then 1998 he was the HC at Arizona
- We are scheduled for 2 more future games 2020 in Tucson, 2025 in Hawaii
- Arizona was one of the original 6 members of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) along with Arizona St, BYU, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming. Hawaii was the 10th original member of the WAC, joining after Colorado St, UTEP and San Diego St.
- OLine Michael Eletise is set to transfer to Hawaii from Arizona
Other Arizona -> Hawaii transfers in the past were:
DT Kaniela Tuipulotu
LB Makani Kema-Kaleiwahea

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 UH vs Arizona Preview

Post by J-Rod »

Tough team to figure out. Underwhelmed in year #1 under Sumlin. Star quarterback Khalil Tate regressed quite a bit. Lost to a dreadful UCLA team one week, smoked Oregon the next. This is a winnable game for UH, but hard to tell which Wildcats team shows up.

..and yes, you could say the same about UH.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UA is still messed up and still recovering from the sexual scandal of HC Rich Rodriguez. Back in the Anu Solomon days, they were awesome and started to inch up to Tomey's legacy.

Then everything seems to fall apart (along with Solomon.)

Current HC is still working through with guys he did not recruit and don't play in his system.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Why Arizona Football needs throwback unis for the Hawaii game

by Eric Townsend
3 days ago

As we all know, we’re just 68 days from the kick-off to the 2019 season against Hawaii. What makes this game even more ironic and significant, is that recently deceased head coach Dick Tomey came from Hawaii before coaching at Arizona.

Apparently, the two schools are currently in talks to honor the late Tomey, when they kick-off their seasons on August 24 to begin the year.

While we can’t definitively say if Arizona will indeed try to incorporate throwback unis this season, and if so, when it’ll even happen, however, we can’t help but think the timing couldn’t be any better than for that first game against Hawaii!

It certainly wouldn’t be a bad gesture for the Cats to wear unis that are similar to the ones worn during the infamous Tomey years. I for one wouldn’t mind seeing something like these.
https://zonazealots.com/2019/06/16/why- ... waii-game/

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Would be cool if both teams wore retros

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

No comments made on that article from three days ago. I guess no Arizona fan is interested.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 am No comments made on that article from three days ago. I guess no Arizona fan is interested.
That's a basketball school. They made their first major bowl in ages in 2014. Played Boise in the Fiesta Bowl and had fewer fans in the stands than the Broncos. In a bowl game that was in Arizona...

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

J-Rod wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm
My3Cats wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 am No comments made on that article from three days ago. I guess no Arizona fan is interested.
That's a basketball school. They made their first major bowl in ages in 2014. Played Boise in the Fiesta Bowl and had fewer fans in the stands than the Broncos. In a bowl game that was in Arizona...
J-Rod is right. To add to his statements, UA's last conference championship in football was a shared one in 1993 when the PAC-12 was still the PAC-10 (minus Utah and Colorado). Aside from both the Utes and Buffaloes, Arizona has NEVER made it to the Rose Bowl aka THE big game for all PAC-8/10/12 schools.

Also, the main reason they were able to go to the Fiesta Bowl in 2014 as J-Rod as said was due to the fact they won the PAC-12 South Division title but lost in the conference title game vs. Oregon, 51-14. Major Ouch!

Arizona's last outright conference championship was in 1936 when they were in the Border Conference (the actual name was Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association).

They did share 2 WAC titles in 1964 and in 1973. :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_W ... mpionships

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

The stability of the coaching staff, O & D schemes staying the same, tons of returning 1s and 2s and the incoming/redshirts/transfers, makes the game absolutely winnable. UH needs to strike fast and put doubt in the minds of the Wildcats who have had a rough time the last few years.

UH's defense will need to make plays and at a minimum reduce chuck plays. If the O is clicking, look for a bunch of points. I think the team will be motivated to take the next leap by beating a Pac12 school in national tv. #canwinem
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

uhwarriors

Arizona Game Media Notes

Post by uhwarriors »

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: *** Official 2019 UH vs Arizona Preview ***

Post by ubercow »

Dug into the PDF and came up with this quick info:
Kickoff is at 4:30pm HST
Stadium Parking $8
Upper & Lower Halawa parking (Gates 3 & 4) open 5 hours to kickoff (11:30am)
All other gates 4 hours to kickoff (12:30pm)
TV: CBS Sports Network (Spectrum Ch. 2475/HD 1247 Hawaiian Telcom Ch. 83/HD 1083)
Video Stream: cbssports.com

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

I guess I haven’t been to a game in a while but ticket prices start at $37??? And go as high as $97???? Man no wonder no one goes that’s craaaazy!!!!

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

whirlygig5 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:35 pm I guess I haven’t been to a game in a while but ticket prices start at $37??? And go as high as $97???? Man no wonder no one goes that’s craaaazy!!!!
I got my season tickets for $99 :P. individual game prices are always pretty nutty