2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by Neighbor »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:31 pm unpaid, Cooke Field might work as a place to play ILH games. They've done it before.
I don't understand that whole ordeal. I'm sure the goal was moreso for the offices they built inside of it, as well as fleshing out the sand volleyball courts, but like what was the point of building a huge grandstands? They've played like TWO high school games there. They can't play soccer games there since the field isn't big enough because of the track, so what was the point? Just to be able to host spring games there?

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm It's really unfortunate to hear about Hugh Brady. He was going to kill it his senior season. Wishing him nothing but the best and health recovery.

Would of been nice if they had Kobe Muasau still on the team. The freshman QB (John Keawe-Sagapolutele) is good but definitely would rather see him slowly transition into the Starting role instead of getting thrown in there. He'll do well vs. the lower tier of Open teams but once he plays the Big 4 (St. Louis, Mililani, Campbell & Kahuku) it's going to be a rude awakening.

This Punahou team will remind me of Kahuku's team last year, a very good team that was hit with the injury bug. Is Alaka'i Gilman ok from his injury he sustained on Friday Night?
@teamhawaii: Well, I don't know if we can count Kahuku among the "Big Four." They barely got past Kamehameha this past weekend, and Kamehameha's O sucks.
lol. I don't think Kahuku is the best team in the OIA. But there First Team Defense is SOLID! Kamehameha got that 50 yard catch from Ramos to lead to a score on the 2nd team defense and Clemente scored his 80 yard TD on the 2nd team defense.

Why they put their 2nd team defense in so early? I really don't know. Coaching will be Kahuku's downfall this season. The boy's are ballers, hopefully they can stay healthy.

We hold Kahuku to such a high regard bc they have been not good but GREAT for the past years. Our judgement is somewhat swayed. They'll make it to states for the Top 3 OIA teams if they can remain healthy.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

teamhawaii wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:26 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm It's really unfortunate to hear about Hugh Brady. He was going to kill it his senior season. Wishing him nothing but the best and health recovery.

Would of been nice if they had Kobe Muasau still on the team. The freshman QB (John Keawe-Sagapolutele) is good but definitely would rather see him slowly transition into the Starting role instead of getting thrown in there. He'll do well vs. the lower tier of Open teams but once he plays the Big 4 (St. Louis, Mililani, Campbell & Kahuku) it's going to be a rude awakening.

This Punahou team will remind me of Kahuku's team last year, a very good team that was hit with the injury bug. Is Alaka'i Gilman ok from his injury he sustained on Friday Night?
@teamhawaii: Well, I don't know if we can count Kahuku among the "Big Four." They barely got past Kamehameha this past weekend, and Kamehameha's O sucks.
lol. I don't think Kahuku is the best team in the OIA. But there First Team Defense is SOLID! Kamehameha got that 50 yard catch from Ramos to lead to a score on the 2nd team defense and Clemente scored his 80 yard TD on the 2nd team defense.

Why they put their 2nd team defense in so early? I really don't know. Coaching will be Kahuku's downfall this season. The boy's are ballers, hopefully they can stay healthy.

We hold Kahuku to such a high regard bc they have been not good but GREAT for the past years. Our judgement is somewhat swayed. They'll make it to states for the Top 3 OIA teams if they can remain healthy.
I was REALLY skeptical of this years squad, like many people I know. There were so many kids leaving, and unlike prior years, not much "news" coming from anywhere for most of us "outsiders". But after the Kamehameha game, like many people I know, am less skeptical. I think if there is improvement this week (even if we lose), this is the one team you'd better not sleep on. Last year, there was not much improvement after the Punahou game, so we'll see what we really have after friday nights against the Trojans.

RRFL!!!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:06 pm
genks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Oh snap I had no idea this was at Punahou. I just assumed it was at the Aloha Stadium
@genks: This was a stupid decision. Punahou School's stadium sucks. It has no lights, and that's why the game is at 3:15, or something like that. This is plain stupid. Here we are in August, the hottest month of the summer. (Yes, it's still officially summer, even though many schools have already begun classes.) And, the game is scheduled at what may be the hottest time of the day, mid-afternoon. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for the players? Even the spectators will have to scramble for shade. Arrangements should have been made to play the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium. That stadium has lights, so the game can be played at night, when it's much cooler. Not only that, that gives people more time to get to the game. Heck, at 3:15, most people are still at work.
That’s a good point, Kam’s stadium is great. The view is stunning and you get a nice breeze up there
@genks: Well, nighttime at any stadium beats a day game in mid-afternoon.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 pm Kamehameha's offense may have looked bad against Kahuku, but does anyone think it'll be an upgrade over Kailua and Farrington? The latter two haven't scored a point in the two games they've played (although they've played the same two teams). Having Alaka'i (who can guard Ramos) would be a big plus.
@gopunahou: Oh, Kamehameha's O is better than Kailua's and Farrington's. I guess everything is relative. Kamehameha's O sucks compared to, say, St Louis and Punahou, but it's not bad compared to Kailua and Farrington.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@teamhawaii: I agree. Much of Kamehameha's yardage and scoring came against Kahuku's subs. Kahuku's first-string D poses a threat to Punahou, Mililani, and Campbell. Against St Louis, it probably doesn't matter, unfortunately. St Louis seems to be too tough all-around.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 pm

I was REALLY skeptical of this years squad, like many people I know. There were so many kids leaving, and unlike prior years, not much "news" coming from anywhere for most of us "outsiders". But after the Kamehameha game, like many people I know, am less skeptical. I think if there is improvement this week (even if we lose), this is the one team you'd better not sleep on. Last year, there was not much improvement after the Punahou game, so we'll see what we really have after friday nights against the Trojans.

RRFL!!!!
@rrforlifebaby: Well, the Mililani game might very well be a preview of the OIA Open title game. Mililani beat Campbell, so if Kahuku can beat Mililani, Kahuku would (unofficially) be the best school in OIA Open. I think Mililani has to be concerned about Kahuku's D, for two reasons: 1.) The defense seems to be Kahuku's strength, and, 2.) Mililani apparently is trying to be run-oriented. Unless Mililani has a big, kick-butt O-line, good luck trying to push Kahuku's D-linemen around.

Kamehameha has a big, kick-butt O-line, but they still lost to Kahuku. Another crucial indicator: How good are Mililani's RBs, compared to Kamehameha's? Having a good O-line is one thing, but if you ain't got a good RB...

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Kamehameha went to Kahuku and kept it close. Kahuku''s D was just overwhelming. Too bad about Brady. One good thing, Keawe Sagaputele has the best 4 as the last games. My question is who the back-up to the back up?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 am Kamehameha went to Kahuku and kept it close. Kahuku''s D was just overwhelming. Too bad about Brady. One good thing, Keawe Sagaputele has the best 4 as the last games. My question is who the back-up to the back up?
I heard some other Kahuku fans say that Kamehameha’s offense scored on your second-teamers. In any case, turnovers will be the key to our game against them. If Kamehameha can force a slew of turnovers (i.e. defensive TDs or turnovers near our red zone) and avoid turnovers of their own, that’ll give them a chance to win. But that’s a tall order.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani has two three star OL to block for Malosi Sam ,who put up around 250 rush yards on an insane 42 carries. Kahuku has one 3 star OL to block for Zeeland Matagi who didn't quite put up the numbers that Sam did,but still is a force to be accounted for. Kahuku's strength is on defense,and against the norm,Mililani's strength is also on defense this year. I would still have to give the advantage to Mililani because I can see York getting Agbayani in sync as a passer sooner than Carvalho can get Mana in sync as a passer for Kahuku.

Thursday games. St.Louis over Kapolei.Campbell over Farrington.Damien over Radford.Pearl City over McKinley.Kaiser over Pac-5. Why so many Thursday games? Just guessing,but I would say that fewer people are willing to put up with the abuse that comes with being a ref these days. So they have to spread fewer refs over more days.Think about it.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 pm Mililani has two three star OL to block for Malosi Sam ,who put up around 250 rush yards on an insane 42 carries. Kahuku has one 3 star OL to block for Zeeland Matagi who didn't quite put up the numbers that Sam did,but still is a force to be accounted for. Kahuku's strength is on defense,and against the norm,Mililani's strength is also on defense this year. I would still have to give the advantage to Mililani because I can see York getting Agbayani in sync as a passer sooner than Carvalho can get Mana in sync as a passer for Kahuku.

Thursday games. St.Louis over Kapolei.Campbell over Farrington.Damien over Radford.Pearl City over McKinley.Kaiser over Pac-5. Why so many Thursday games? Just guessing,but I would say that fewer people are willing to put up with the abuse that comes with being a ref these days. So they have to spread fewer refs over more days.Think about it.
Regarding the Thursday games—I don’t think that’s the only reason. Friday is a holiday.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:25 pm
Markeke wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 am Kamehameha went to Kahuku and kept it close. Kahuku''s D was just overwhelming. Too bad about Brady. One good thing, Keawe Sagaputele has the best 4 as the last games. My question is who the back-up to the back up?
I heard some other Kahuku fans say that Kamehameha’s offense scored on your second-teamers. In any case, turnovers will be the key to our game against them. If Kamehameha can force a slew of turnovers (i.e. defensive TDs or turnovers near our red zone) and avoid turnovers of their own, that’ll give them a chance to win. But that’s a tall order.
@gopunahou: Well, precisely the same can be said for Punahou's D. Kamehameha's pass game sucks. They had 5 passes picked-off by Kahuku. You hear that, and immediately you think their QB sucks. Yet, wasn't St Louis QB De Laura picked-off 5 times by Punahou, in their first head-to-head game? Can't recall if that's accurate. Both Kamehameha and Punahou absorbed a sucky situation at QB. Punahou lost starter Brady for the season due to injury, and Kamehameha lost starter Togiai for the season because he elected to concentrate on basketball. What can you say to stuff like that? Doo-doo happens.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Tru dat,but there are still games on Friday and Saturday, so if you could cover all the games on Thursday and Saturday in a normal two day weekend, why do you still have games on Friday holiday? I have to think the people who schedule the games knew that this coming Friday was a holiday...and still there are games that have to be reffed on Friday this coming weekend.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 pm Mililani has two three star OL to block for Malosi Sam ,who put up around 250 rush yards on an insane 42 carries. Kahuku has one 3 star OL to block for Zeeland Matagi who didn't quite put up the numbers that Sam did,but still is a force to be accounted for. Kahuku's strength is on defense,and against the norm,Mililani's strength is also on defense this year. I would still have to give the advantage to Mililani because I can see York getting Agbayani in sync as a passer sooner than Carvalho can get Mana in sync as a passer for Kahuku.

@unpaid: So you're saying that Mililani is going heavily to the run only because Agbayani can't get a pass game on? 42 carries are insane, but so are 250 yards. That's something you imagine Waipahu RB Failauga doing. Question is, can Mililani's O-line push Kahuku's D-linemen around, the way they pushed Campbell's D-linemen around? Something tells me, no. This past weekend, Kamehameha's O-linemen told Kahuku's D-linemen, "Here we come. What are you going to do about it?" Kahuku's D-linemen said, "Bring it on." Kamehameha has a fine O-line, but Kahuku's D-line seemed to have neutralized them. Two physical lines went at each other. As for Mililani's D, they had a kick-butt D last year, too, especially the down-linemen.

Five games on Thursday. Probably because the kids are already on campus for school, and of course there's no school Friday (Admissions Day.) As for not enough guys wanting to ref, the Econ 101 cure, of course, is to raise their pay. Sometimes it does help to throw money at a problem. Raise the pay, and suddenly more guys are willing to ref.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

No.

I think Mililani has a ground game equal to and maybe better than Kahuku this year. What makes this game close ,to me is that Mililani is breaking in a new starter at QB this year,and Kahuku is also putting a new starter at QB. Morikawa,Milton,and Gabriel had way better pass stats than Kahuku's QB'S did in the same years leading up to this year. Mililani has hadYork as HC for a decade,and how many HC's has Kahuku had in the last decade? Mililani has more continuity at the top and I think Coach York gets his QB up in the air game before Coach Carvalho gets his QB up in the air game. As for the defenses, Kahuku and Mililani are both better on defense than they are on offense.