2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:06 pm
genks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 pm While this game won’t have the fanfare that Mililani-Kahuku will, an intriguing matchup this week is Punahou-Kamehameha at our place. Kamehameha will try to win on a field where no varsity team has won this millennium (can’t believe they agreed to play at our place to begin with). Regardless, it’d be a surprise if Hugh plays, so John-Keawe can’t let KSK’s pressure rattle him. The good news is that he showed the ability to escape the pocket, so I doubt he’ll take too many sacks of 10+ yards. I also doubt KSK’s defense—as good as it is—can stop big plays from us from happening. I also doubt our defense will make the kind of mistakes Kahuku’s made. Our defense has proven to be bend-but-not-break and will show the same form again Friday. I also hope Alaka’i can play because he can shut down Ramos or limit him.
Oh snap I had no idea this was at Punahou. I just assumed it was at the Aloha Stadium
@genks: This was a stupid decision. Punahou School's stadium sucks. It has no lights, and that's why the game is at 3:15. This is plain stupid. Here we are in August, the hottest month of the summer. (Yes, it's still officially summer, even though many schools have already begun classes.) And, the game is scheduled at what may be the hottest time of the day, mid-afternoon. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for the players? Even the spectators will have to scramble for shade. Arrangements should have been made to play the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium. That stadium has lights, so the game can be played at night, when it's much cooler. Not only that, that gives people more time to get to the game. Heck, at 3:15, many people are still at work. Yes, I know Friday is Admissions Day, but not everyone is off. It's a state holiday, not a federal holiday. Holiday or no, a night game would give people more than 4 hours more to get to the game. Always nice to have more time to get somewhere.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm @genks: This was a stupid decision. Punahou School's stadium sucks. It has no lights, and that's why the game is at 3:15. This is plain stupid. Here we are in August, the hottest month of the summer. (Yes, it's still officially summer, even though many schools have already begun classes.) And, the game is scheduled at what may be the hottest time of the day, mid-afternoon. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for the players? Even the spectators will have to scramble for shade. Arrangements should have been made to play the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium. That stadium has lights, so the game can be played at night, when it's much cooler. Not only that, that gives people more time to get to the game. Heck, at 3:15, many people are still at work. Yes, I know Friday is Admissions Day, but not everyone is off. It's a state holiday, not a federal holiday. Holiday or no, a night game would give people more than 4 hours more to get to the game. Always nice to have more time to get somewhere.
What sucks way more than our stadium is the fact that Hugh Brady won't play again for us. HPW reported that he suffered an ACL tear. That's a major kick in the balls. I also know that we've dealt with this before--Cole Arceneaux shredded Leilehua's defense in 2016; that was the only game he played that year because of an ACL injury. Despite the fact that Cole would've given our WRs a big boost, we managed to almost win the ILH without him. I don't think this'll sink our season, as there is enough talent to win our fair share of games. As for Hugh, I really hope he'll take on the role of "assistant coach" and give John-Keawe as much assistance as he needs. I think John-Keawe can handle the rigors of open competition, as well.

Regarding the decision to play the KSK game at our place, it might be because we've already played at their stadium (17 or 18 years ago). I also see that Kamehameha is playing some games at their place. This'll be our only home game of the season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:55 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm @genks: This was a stupid decision. Punahou School's stadium sucks. It has no lights, and that's why the game is at 3:15. This is plain stupid. Here we are in August, the hottest month of the summer. (Yes, it's still officially summer, even though many schools have already begun classes.) And, the game is scheduled at what may be the hottest time of the day, mid-afternoon. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for the players? Even the spectators will have to scramble for shade. Arrangements should have been made to play the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium. That stadium has lights, so the game can be played at night, when it's much cooler. Not only that, that gives people more time to get to the game. Heck, at 3:15, many people are still at work. Yes, I know Friday is Admissions Day, but not everyone is off. It's a state holiday, not a federal holiday. Holiday or no, a night game would give people more than 4 hours more to get to the game. Always nice to have more time to get somewhere.
What sucks way more than our stadium is the fact that Hugh Brady won't play again for us. HPW reported that he suffered an ACL tear. That's a major kick in the balls. I also know that we've dealt with this before--Cole Arceneaux shredded Leilehua's defense in 2016; that was the only game he played that year because of an ACL injury. Despite the fact that Cole would've given our WRs a big boost, we managed to almost win the ILH without him. I don't think this'll sink our season, as there is enough talent to win our fair share of games. As for Hugh, I really hope he'll take on the role of "assistant coach" and give John-Keawe as much assistance as he needs. I think John-Keawe can handle the rigors of open competition, as well.

Regarding the decision to play the KSK game at our place, it might be because we've already played at their stadium (17 or 18 years ago). I also see that Kamehameha is playing some games at their place. This'll be our only home game of the season.
@gopunahou: OK, you know I don't care for Punahou School. But, I'm not about to gloat over Brady's injury. Color me relieved, but I'm not about to stoop so low as to rejoice over a kid's injury. Moving forward, I think Punahou will still beat Kamehameha on Friday. Kamehameha's O simply isn't good enough to give their school a fighting chance, even with Brady out. Brady's absence will hurt Punahou against tough OIA Open schools like Mililani and Campbell. But really, if St Louis is going to take the ILH Open title anyway, and only that titlist can go on to States, how much does it really matter? I mean, you'd rather see your alma mater win than lose, but they're still not going to States.
Regarding Punahou having a home game, it's like, is it worth it? If Punahou School had a lighted stadium, sure. But, a hot afternoon game? I suspect many Punahou alumni would rather have the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium, and I suspect the Punahou football players would probably agree with that. I mean, who wants to play or watch a football game in the hot August sun? Play it at Kamehameha Schools, where it would be in the evening, and infinitely cooler. Like any ILH school, I don't think Kamehameha's stadium is loaned-out to other schools. If there's a game there, Kamehameha is supposed to be playing in it. (Unlike the OIA schools. For example, both Kaimuki High and Kalani High use Kaiser High's stadium. So, there could be a game at Kaiser High, without Kaiser playing in it.)
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm

@gopunahou: OK, you know I don't care for Punahou School. But, I'm not about to gloat over Brady's injury. Color me relieved, but I'm not about to stoop so low as to rejoice over a kid's injury. Moving forward, I think Punahou will still beat Kamehameha on Friday. Kamehameha's O simply isn't good enough to give their school a fighting chance, even with Brady out. Brady's absence will hurt Punahou against tough OIA Open schools like Mililani and Campbell. But really, if St Louis is going to take the ILH Open title anyway, and only that titlist can go on to States, how much does it really matter? I mean, you'd rather see your alma mater win than lose, but they're still not going to States.
Regarding Punahou having a home game, it's like, is it worth it? If Punahou School had a lighted stadium, sure. But, a hot afternoon game? I suspect many Punahou alumni would rather have the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium, and I suspect the Punahou football players would probably agree with it. I mean, who wants to play or watch a football game in the hot August sun? Play it at Kamehameha Schools, where it would be in the evening, and infinitely cooler.
At least you ain't stooping as low as Infidel would.

As for me, the last thing I need is an injury to Mater Dei's Bryce Young.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid, Cooke Field might work as a place to play ILH games. They've done it before.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:21 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Regarding Punahou having a home game, it's like, is it worth it? If Punahou School had a lighted stadium, sure. But, a hot afternoon game? I suspect many Punahou alumni would rather have the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium, and I suspect the Punahou football players would probably agree with it. I mean, who wants to play or watch a football game in the hot August sun? Play it at Kamehameha Schools, where it would be in the evening, and infinitely cooler.
At least you ain't stooping as low as Infidel would.

As for me, the last thing I need is an injury to Mater Dei's Bryce Young.
@gopunahou: You really are into Mater Dei High, aren't you? As for me, I couldn't care less about them.

I'd also like to correct an error in my previous post. Now that Farrington High's stadium has re-opened, and it's a lighted stadium, I think Kaimuki High now plays its home games there, rather than at Kaiser High's stadium.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:32 pm @gopunahou: You really are into Mater Dei High, aren't you? As for me, I couldn't care less about them.

I'd also like to correct an error in my previous post. Now that Farrington High's stadium has re-opened, and it's a lighted stadium, I think Kaimuki High now plays its home games there, rather than at Kaiser High's stadium.
Yeah. Mater Dei is the Punahou of California.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:31 pm unpaid, Cooke Field might work as a place to play ILH games. They've done it before.
@gopunahou: Something tells me UH would tell the ILH to bite them. Now that Kamehameha Schools has a lighted stadium, UH would probably say, "Play there." Oddly enough, Kamehameha Schools is the only ILH school with a lighted stadium. By contrast, look at how many OIA schools have lighted stadiums.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

It's really unfortunate to hear about Hugh Brady. He was going to kill it his senior season. Wishing him nothing but the best and health recovery.

Would of been nice if they had Kobe Muasau still on the team. The freshman QB (John Keawe-Sagapolutele) is good but definitely would rather see him slowly transition into the Starting role instead of getting thrown in there. He'll do well vs. the lower tier of Open teams but once he plays the Big 4 (St. Louis, Mililani, Campbell & Kahuku) it's going to be a rude awakening.

This Punahou team will remind me of Kahuku's team last year, a very good team that was hit with the injury bug. Is Alaka'i Gilman ok from his injury he sustained on Friday Night?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm It's really unfortunate to hear about Hugh Brady. He was going to kill it his senior season. Wishing him nothing but the best and health recovery.

Would of been nice if they had Kobe Muasau still on the team. The freshman QB (John Keawe-Sagapolutele) is good but definitely would rather see him slowly transition into the Starting role instead of getting thrown in there. He'll do well vs. the lower tier of Open teams but once he plays the Big 4 (St. Louis, Mililani, Campbell & Kahuku) it's going to be a rude awakening.

This Punahou team will remind me of Kahuku's team last year, a very good team that was hit with the injury bug. Is Alaka'i Gilman ok from his injury he sustained on Friday Night?
@teamhawaii: Well, I don't know if we can count Kahuku among the "Big Four." They barely got past Kamehameha this past weekend, and Kamehameha's O sucks.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

teamhawaii wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm It's really unfortunate to hear about Hugh Brady. He was going to kill it his senior season. Wishing him nothing but the best and health recovery.

I hope Alaka'i plays. Fact is, Kahuku went far despite their injuries and avenged an earlier loss to Campbell. So an 8-2 or 7-3 season would suit me just fine.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:13 pm Pretty sure Campbell beat Punahou at Punahou in like 2011. Also stadium is of course unavailable because of the LA Rams and Dallas Cowboys game
It’s funny that slipped my mind, seeing as how I’m going to that game lol

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:06 pm
genks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 pm While this game won’t have the fanfare that Mililani-Kahuku will, an intriguing matchup this week is Punahou-Kamehameha at our place. Kamehameha will try to win on a field where no varsity team has won this millennium (can’t believe they agreed to play at our place to begin with). Regardless, it’d be a surprise if Hugh plays, so John-Keawe can’t let KSK’s pressure rattle him. The good news is that he showed the ability to escape the pocket, so I doubt he’ll take too many sacks of 10+ yards. I also doubt KSK’s defense—as good as it is—can stop big plays from us from happening. I also doubt our defense will make the kind of mistakes Kahuku’s made. Our defense has proven to be bend-but-not-break and will show the same form again Friday. I also hope Alaka’i can play because he can shut down Ramos or limit him.
Oh snap I had no idea this was at Punahou. I just assumed it was at the Aloha Stadium
@genks: This was a stupid decision. Punahou School's stadium sucks. It has no lights, and that's why the game is at 3:15, or something like that. This is plain stupid. Here we are in August, the hottest month of the summer. (Yes, it's still officially summer, even though many schools have already begun classes.) And, the game is scheduled at what may be the hottest time of the day, mid-afternoon. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for the players? Even the spectators will have to scramble for shade. Arrangements should have been made to play the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium. That stadium has lights, so the game can be played at night, when it's much cooler. Not only that, that gives people more time to get to the game. Heck, at 3:15, most people are still at work.
That’s a good point, Kam’s stadium is great. The view is stunning and you get a nice breeze up there

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Awful news. Through all the rivalries and competition, this is high school sports and you never ever want to see someone end up injured. Prayers for him, hope he can get right for college. He played a very good season last year and was looking real dangerous so far. I’m glad that at least he was able to secure a scholarship.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kamehameha's offense may have looked bad against Kahuku, but does anyone think it'll be an upgrade over Kailua and Farrington? The latter two haven't scored a point in the two games they've played (although they've played the same two teams). Having Alaka'i (who can guard Ramos) would be a big plus.
Last edited by gopunahou on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.