2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:24 am You know who Kahuku's new unis remind me of? Mater Dei, my favorite mainland team (since they are the Punahou of CA). Mater Dei's won the last two CIF championships and finished 2017 as the #1 team in the country. Maybe Kahuku thinks that looking that Mater Dei will inspire them to play like MD.
@gopunahou: I don't know; to me, it's mind over matter. Doesn't matter what your uni looks like, just play. The uni doesn't play, it's the player inside that does. Having said that, I'm assuming you've seen Punahou's new unis.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic, maybe Kahuku is trying to adopt a “Mater Dei mentality” along with wearing Mater Dei-esque uniforms.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

While this game won’t have the fanfare that Mililani-Kahuku will, an intriguing matchup this week is Punahou-Kamehameha at our place. Kamehameha will try to win on a field where no varsity team has won this millennium (can’t believe they agreed to play at our place to begin with). Regardless, it’d be a surprise if Hugh plays, so John-Keawe can’t let KSK’s pressure rattle him. The good news is that he showed the ability to escape the pocket, so I doubt he’ll take too many sacks of 10+ yards. I also doubt KSK’s defense—as good as it is—can stop big plays from us from happening. I also doubt our defense will make the kind of mistakes Kahuku’s made. Our defense has proven to be bend-but-not-break and will show the same form again Friday. I also hope Alaka’i can play because he can shut down Ramos or limit him.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm HS Football Fanatic, maybe Kahuku is trying to adopt a “Mater Dei mentality” along with wearing Mater Dei-esque uniforms.
@gopunahou: Well, I don't think Kahuku--or any school--should feel compelled to adopt another school's mentality. Kahuku should be Kahuku, not Mater Dei. I mean, certainly aspire to be as good as Mater Dei, whether or not Kahuku actually can be as good. I.e., I suppose each school should try to be as good as Mater Dei, but in its own way.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 pm While this game won’t have the fanfare that Mililani-Kahuku will, an intriguing matchup this week is Punahou-Kamehameha at our place. Kamehameha will try to win on a field where no varsity team has won this millennium (can’t believe they agreed to play at our place to begin with). Regardless, it’d be a surprise if Hugh plays, so John-Keawe can’t let KSK’s pressure rattle him. The good news is that he showed the ability to escape the pocket, so I doubt he’ll take too many sacks of 10+ yards. I also doubt KSK’s defense—as good as it is—can stop big plays from us from happening. I also doubt our defense will make the kind of mistakes Kahuku’s made. Our defense has proven to be bend-but-not-break and will show the same form again Friday. I also hope Alaka’i can play because he can shut down Ramos or limit him.
@gopunahou: Well, the thing about ILH Open is that, I'm not sure that anyone cares about any game other than St Louis v Punahou. I don't think anyone but Kamehameha alumni care very much about Kamehameha v Punahou. Punahou alumni (such as yourself) can be almost certain that Punahou will win, even without Brady. Now, I don't know how much pressure Kamehameha's D can bring to bear on Keawe. Obviously, much of that depends on how good Punahou's O-line is. The thing about Kamehameha's D is that they get run into the ground because Kamehameha's O doesn't seem to be worth a darn. As a result, Kamehameha's D is on the field much too long. So, I suspect Kamehameha's D will be tired by the 3rd qrtr. And, who is Ramos? One of Kamehameha's receivers? If so, I don't know that he's worth worrying about. Kamehameha's pass game blows. Look how bad it was against Kahuku.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 pm While this game won’t have the fanfare that Mililani-Kahuku will, an intriguing matchup this week is Punahou-Kamehameha at our place. Kamehameha will try to win on a field where no varsity team has won this millennium (can’t believe they agreed to play at our place to begin with). Regardless, it’d be a surprise if Hugh plays, so John-Keawe can’t let KSK’s pressure rattle him. The good news is that he showed the ability to escape the pocket, so I doubt he’ll take too many sacks of 10+ yards. I also doubt KSK’s defense—as good as it is—can stop big plays from us from happening. I also doubt our defense will make the kind of mistakes Kahuku’s made. Our defense has proven to be bend-but-not-break and will show the same form again Friday. I also hope Alaka’i can play because he can shut down Ramos or limit him.
Oh snap I had no idea this was at Punahou. I just assumed it was at the Aloha Stadium

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:54 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:53 pm Love the fact that you hope Hugh recovers, genks. Considering everything, our freshman QB did well and helped us score twice. He also did a good job of escaping the pocket.
I hope Hugh Brady heals up quick. I think they’re the 2nd best team in the state but if he’s gone for a significant amount of time, that’s a huge blow.
@teamhawaii: Don't count-out Mililani. I think Mililani can beat Punahou, even if Brady heals. But in that the case the game would be close, for sure. The key might be Mililani's outstanding LB corps. They'll need to do a "Botelho" on Brady, if he plays.
I disagree. If Brady gets healthy I think they beat Mililani. There’s a reason for Mililani leaning so heavy in the run game. I can also almost guarantee their qb will throw picks against Punahou’ s defense.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic, one thing that favors us is the fact that KSK’s secondary hasn’t been tested. For most of this decade, their secondary has been their weak link, but Kahuku didn’t test them.

On the subject of Kahuku, their offensive philosophy is nothing like Mater Dei’s and never has been. Mater Dei is a passing team. Kahuku likely won’t pass the ball too much this year.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm HS Football Fanatic, maybe Kahuku is trying to adopt a “Mater Dei mentality” along with wearing Mater Dei-esque uniforms.
No offense. I think Kahuku could care less about Mater Dei. They have a contract with their sponsor Under Armour. They have been wearing the same Uni’s since 2016 so they changed it for this current season.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

teamhawaii wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:33 pm
No offense. I think Kahuku could care less about Mater Dei. They have a contract with their sponsor Under Armour. They have been wearing the same Uni’s since 2016 so they changed it for this current season.
Most likely. But their unis do remind me of Mater Dei's.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Pretty sure Campbell beat Punahou at Punahou in like 2011. Also stadium is of course unavailable because of the LA Rams and Dallas Cowboys game

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:13 pm Pretty sure Campbell beat Punahou at Punahou in like 2011. Also stadium is of course unavailable because of the LA Rams and Dallas Cowboys game
I completely forgot about that game, considering the way that season went. Our ILH championship was enough to make me forget about that game. Regardless, we've only lost one game on our field since the millennium began.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 pm
Oh snap I had no idea this was at Punahou. I just assumed it was at the Aloha Stadium
@genks: This was a stupid decision. Punahou School's stadium sucks. It has no lights, and that's why the game is at 3:15, or something like that. This is plain stupid. Here we are in August, the hottest month of the summer. (Yes, it's still officially summer, even though many schools have already begun classes.) And, the game is scheduled at what may be the hottest time of the day, mid-afternoon. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for the players? Even the spectators will have to scramble for shade. Arrangements should have been made to play the game at Kamehameha Schools' stadium. That stadium has lights, so the game can be played at night, when it's much cooler. Not only that, that gives people more time to get to the game. Heck, at 3:15, most people are still at work.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:23 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:54 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 pm

I hope Hugh Brady heals up quick. I think they’re the 2nd best team in the state but if he’s gone for a significant amount of time, that’s a huge blow.
@teamhawaii: Don't count-out Mililani. I think Mililani can beat Punahou, even if Brady heals. But in that the case the game would be close, for sure. The key might be Mililani's outstanding LB corps. They'll need to do a "Botelho" on Brady, if he plays.
I disagree. If Brady gets healthy I think they beat Mililani. There’s a reason for Mililani leaning so heavy in the run game. I can also almost guarantee their qb will throw picks against Punahou’ s defense.
@genks: Then the question becomes, How good is Campbell? I think they were ranked #4, just two spots behind Punahou. In fact, the scoringlive poll has Punahou ranked below Campbell, and that was before Brady was injured. Mililani beat Campbell this past weekend. Another question is, how good is Mililani's O-line? If Mililani is going primarily with the run, I hope they have a huge, rock-'em-sock-'em O-line. They'll need it against Punahou's defensive front-seven. Mililani's O-line will have to get after it and flatten people.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Maybe some of the ILH brethren can answer something I've wondered about for a long time. Why does the ILH play so many of their games at Aloha Stadium? To me, the best setting for football is Kamehameha's stadium. Punahou has a stadium as does Iolani. Sure a lot of the teams don't have a stadium of their own,but then, the OIA has the same situation. In the OIA,historically,schools that had stadiums would let schools that didn't have a home field play in their venue i.e.Ticky Vasconcellos stadium.I believe Damien has played a few games at Skippa Diaz. I know Aiea let Radford play home games at their stadium while the Rams went through field decontamination and a rebuild that took two years. I know Iolani and Punahou's facilities don't have lights which is a little strange for two private schools and yet every public school has lights( when they're working,he-he,)

In the end,why do the ILH schools play so many games in a setting that is really more college and pro size , not really high school size?