2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

Hooper wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:55 pm Just read Hawaii Prep World, Kahuku has a 6'9 senior and his 6'5 sophomore brother transferring in. Akana is the man at bringing in basketball talent from outside Hawaii.
That is why every time someone crowns Punahou, Damien, Maryknoll, or another ILH school the favorites before the season starts, I roll my eyes and say [-X NO SIR, you better wait and see what Brandyn Akana has up his sleeve before you make such accusations. Granted, this kid doesn't look as good as previous transfers that have come through and the article seems like he is really pushing hard to play at UH. Time will tell if he is even ready for a D2 college let alone D1.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Predicting is part of the fun of being a fan. It doesn't matter if it's an ILH or OIA school. If Kahuku had Avea, Villa, and Fotu as juniors and they were all coming back for their senior year, most people would have chosen them to win it all.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Hooper wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:30 pm Predicting is part of the fun of being a fan. It doesn't matter if it's an ILH or OIA school. If Kahuku had Avea, Villa, and Fotu as juniors and they were all coming back for their senior year, most people would have chosen them to win it all.
But that doesn't go against my point that I said I always wait and see who Akana has in his arsenal before I make my predictions. I think that's obvious that if Kahuku had that trio for more than one year, they'd have won two state titles. My point being that no coach on any island, in any league, can bring in quality talent like Akana can. I mean, he had 3 D1 guys all on one team at a point. That is unheard of. Then brought in another one the following season. Tolu Smith was basically playing with the Kahuku's end of the bench players from the earlier season and helped them get to the state final. This kid Cheng, however, by comparison does not excite me the way the four aforementioned guys did. I think unless he has quality players around him, he won't take Kahuku to the top single-handedly like Tolu almost did.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

I agree he is the best at bringing in talent. I’m wondering what he says to make these players leave their schools their senior year to play at a school on the north shore. This newest player doesn’t look as skilled as the previous bigs brought in, but he is 6’9, which will definitely help.

From a parent’s perspective, I wonder how the Kahuku parents feel when these players are brought in. I know Alan Akina faced many challenges because he played his own kids more than other players.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Hooper wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm From a parent’s perspective, I wonder how the Kahuku parents feel when these players are brought in. I know Alan Akina faced many challenges because he played his own kids more than other players.
My opinion is Akana has more support from the community than Akina did. Just my thought. But I also feel as long as Akana is winning, which he does more often than not, all is forgiven with that community for basketball and the parents will shut up. They'd be dumb to not support Akana. He could easily be courting these guys to an ILH school but he's bringing them to RR nation. In only his second season as HC, he delivered Kahuku's first state boy's basketball title. UH should just re-hire him already.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hooper wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm I agree he is the best at bringing in talent. I’m wondering what he says to make these players leave their schools their senior year to play at a school on the north shore. This newest player doesn’t look as skilled as the previous bigs brought in, but he is 6’9, which will definitely help.

From a parent’s perspective, I wonder how the Kahuku parents feel when these players are brought in. I know Alan Akina faced many challenges because he played his own kids more than other players.
@Hooper: The parents of Kahuku players are heavily outnumbered--and therefore, trumped--by Kahuku alumni. I think it's very safe to assume that Kahuku alumni want their alma mater to WIN; to heck with politics played by parents whose kids "aren't playing enough." The BEST players need to play; if it's 4th qrtr and the game is well in hand, THEN other players can come in.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:38 pm
Hooper wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm From a parent’s perspective, I wonder how the Kahuku parents feel when these players are brought in. I know Alan Akina faced many challenges because he played his own kids more than other players.
My opinion is Akana has more support from the community than Akina did. Just my thought. But I also feel as long as Akana is winning, which he does more often than not, all is forgiven with that community for basketball and the parents will shut up. They'd be dumb to not support Akana. He could easily be courting these guys to an ILH school but he's bringing them to RR nation. In only his second season as HC, he delivered Kahuku's first state boy's basketball title. UH should just re-hire him already.
@Hooper: I'd prefer to see Akana stay with Kahuku. As long as he's there, Kahuku will likely be in D1 states, and be a "Punahou stopper." Ganot seems to be doing well enough without him. Kahuku needs him more than UH does.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

It’s shocking that Akana didn’t go to Kamehameha two years ago.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:48 pm It’s shocking that Akana didn’t go to Kamehameha two years ago.
He has much more freedom at Kahuku. If he were at Kamehameha, only one of his four stud transfers in the last 3 years would have been able to play for him.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Naz wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 am
gopunahou wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:48 pm It’s shocking that Akana didn’t go to Kamehameha two years ago.
He has much more freedom at Kahuku. If he were at Kamehameha, only one of his four stud transfers in the last 3 years would have been able to play for him.
Speaking of Kamehameha transfers, I'm surprised they let the younger Ng come in for his senior year

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Neighbor wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:45 pm Speaking of Kamehameha transfers, I'm surprised they let the younger Ng come in for his senior year
This seemed really odd and fishy to me. There had to have been hundreds of kids on the Kamehameha waitlist waiting longer than Ng for a spot at Kamehameha and all of a sudden he bum rushes to the front of the line? In previous articles, he said he had a laundry list of schools he was considering and Kamehameha was only one of them. And guys are saying he went to Punahou first which means Kamehameha wasn't even his first choice. I don't get how a kid thinks he can just "choose" Kamehameha with such a stringent application/testing/interview process. And to get in your senior year is extremely difficult. Must have had the big red dot in the corner of his application. In any case, looks like he should've gone to Kahuku instead. Better chance of making states (and winning it now).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Naz: That's the thing about Kamehameha Schools; gotta have Hawaiian blood to go there. It's amazing that the Warriors can be competitive at all. I mean, not all good players have Hawaiian blood.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:45 pm
Speaking of Kamehameha transfers, I'm surprised they let the younger Ng come in for his senior year
@Neighbor: Ng has Hawaiian blood? Didn't know that.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 am
Neighbor wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:45 pm Speaking of Kamehameha transfers, I'm surprised they let the younger Ng come in for his senior year
This seemed really odd and fishy to me. There had to have been hundreds of kids on the Kamehameha waitlist waiting longer than Ng for a spot at Kamehameha and all of a sudden he bum rushes to the front of the line? In previous articles, he said he had a laundry list of schools he was considering and Kamehameha was only one of them. And guys are saying he went to Punahou first which means Kamehameha wasn't even his first choice. I don't get how a kid thinks he can just "choose" Kamehameha with such a stringent application/testing/interview process. And to get in your senior year is extremely difficult. Must have had the big red dot in the corner of his application. In any case, looks like he should've gone to Kahuku instead. Better chance of making states (and winning it now).
@Naz: I would imagine the Kamehameha Athletic Dept leaned in. Nothing like winning games and championships; garners a lot of alumni support.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

I'm not definite about this but I think Ng's father, Kekoa went to Kamehameha.

As for letting the boy in for his senior year, I think many private schools made the exception for St. Francis students, not just Kamehameha and not just the athletes.

Regarding Akana, I think him bringing in talent makes high school basketball more interesting. Although bringing Oscar and his brother in will make Kahuku better, I don't know if they'll have enough to win states. Only time will tell.