Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:12 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm
genks wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:54 pm

I feel like Punahou would beat Campbell without a ton of drama. Punahou blew out Campbell last year, not to mention Mililani who everyone felt had the best offense. Campbell would need a real ace at qb to beat Punahou. I don’t think they will have that yet
@genks: Yeah, I also thought Punahou was better than Campbell. I think a lot will depend on how good Campbell's defensive front-seven is, given especially that Punahou's strength is on O.
Yes the pass rush will make a huge difference in qb performance.

Punahou has good defensive play calling especially against passing. Their secondary is also strong. I could be wrong but I don’t think they lost too much to graduation from last year. However they did lose the biggest playmaker on defense.

The Campbell qb getting love from his performance and that is cool. He’s a young guy and he’s got plenty of time. But unless he takes a giant step forward this year, I just don’t see it. He could do fair in one game and awful in the next.

Let’s not forget Brady is a player. The guy can play, he can handle pressure. He just needs to find a new WR1 I believe Falatea has graduated. His line fed him to Jordan Botelho but had he been healthy, that game would’ve probably been back and forth like the 1st game.

I think Kahuku may be getting overlooked a little also. They lost to Campbell and Mil but can’t count them out. In my opinion, if I were to come up with rankings, I’d think Kahuku and Mililani get the benefit of the doubt for 1 and 2 interchangeable, and Campbell would be on my must watch list. I need to see Campbell roast some teams before I’d have confidence picking them as a favorite for the OIA.
@genks: I think the very last sentence of your post really says it all. I can't see Campbell kicking Mililani's or Kahuku's butt. I'm not even sure that they'd even win against either school.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:53 am HS Football Fanatic,

I think Brendyn Agbayani will be the starter for Mililani.He was listed as a 6-0 190 lb sophomore QB in 2018. I went back through some StarAdvertiser articles and found the report about the recent GPS showcase. Agbayani was one of three QB's to win offensive awards at the end of camp alongside Iolani's Jonah Chong and Kapolei's Christian Rapis.
@unpaid: OK, sounds like Mililani will have a decent pass game; bandits1 said they have decent receivers returning. But, will they have a decent run game? And, what about their D?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:49 am
unpaid wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:10 am I have updated the St.Louis,Campbell,and Mililani capsules on page 1 to reflect changes due to transfers.
Also, Tauai is not at Campbell this semester, he may be going to Moanalua
Kamalu DeBlake lb transferred to Mililani from St. Louis
Sonny Semeatu lb transferred to Mililani from Kapolei
Micah Kim lb transferred to Mililani from Moanalua
That's a HUGE upgrade to the Mililani D
@Dog 96707: That's unreal. So, Mililani got THREE transfers, all LBs. OK, so it looks like Mililani will have a good LB corps. But, what about their down-linemen? What about their secondary?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

With transfer news rolling in from Dog 96707 and the StarAdvertiser, I have updated the Mililani and Hilo capsules.

Long Beach Poly plays Punahou. The Jackrabbits aren't what they used to be,but be wary. What little I can relate comes from a podcast recorded this past April with Poly's HC on The562.org site.He was confident,but guarded and didn't give away a lot of info. The line will be the strength of this team.They check in at 6-2 to 6-3 and 300 to 315 across the line. The skill positions were shredded by graduation. The HC feels that some of his skill position replacements will come from last year's undefeated JV team. Other than that, another check reveals one player rated as 3stars atCB. Punahou has 4 players rated 3stars currently in Solatoa Moeai 6-5 310 OL,S Alakai Gilman, WR Koa Eldredge,and QB Hugh Brady.
Punahou should have the edge with plenty of veteran players on offense and defense to take advantage of Poly's younger lineup.
Last edited by unpaid on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Scheduling favors Punahou this year. Last year a lot of road games. With Punahou at Aloha for Kahuku and Mililani this year I can see the 2nd ranking more clearly. Only Campbell might be a challenge in Ewa. As far as Mililani,Kahuku or Campbell, they all get a nod at post season OIA positions. With the OIA it's a matter of who is healthy in the end. First OIA game Campbell vs.Mililani in Ewa, nod Campbell. Campbell vs Kahuku at Kahuku, nod Kahuku. Kahuku at Mililani, Mililani. So 1-1 for the 3. Lol.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:05 pm
unpaid wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:10 am I have updated the St.Louis,Campbell,and Mililani capsules on page 1 to reflect changes due to transfers.
@Dog 96707: That's unreal. So, Mililani got THREE transfers, all LBs. OK, so it looks like Mililani will have a good LB corps. But, what about their down-linemen? What about their secondary?
Not super familiar with DeBlake, he didn’t get a ton of playing time but good luck to him hope he gets more time at Mililani.

Dayton Sam, is a very good and very tough RB. He’s fast enough to bounce runs outside, but he’s tough enough to drive straight up the middle and lay a stiff arm or bang it behind his pads. Gonna miss watching him. He was 2nd behind Paikai, I gotta think he would’ve been the starter this coming season.

Good luck and best wishes to the former Crusaders

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Not super familiar with DeBlake, he didn’t get a ton of playing time but good luck to him hope he gets more time at Mililani.

Dayton Sam, is a very good and very tough RB. He’s fast enough to bounce runs outside, but he’s tough enough to drive straight up the middle and lay a stiff arm or bang it behind his pads. Gonna miss watching him. He was 2nd behind Paikai, I gotta think he would’ve been the starter this coming season.

@genks: Sam was St Louis' best RB, right? Which school did he transfer to? I'm assuming he didn't graduate yet.

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 am LA Rams 7v7 champ is Campbell.StLouis got knocked out by Waipahu in one semifinal.

OK,it's a one-day pass league and St.Louis did not have DeLaura and some of his receivers in the tournament.
St.Louis is still the prohibitive favorite for the Open title this year. What l feel Campbell accomplished was to solidify their position as St.Louis' top challenger. I think the Sabers have separated themselves a little from Punahou,Mililani and Kahuku.

Waipahu got three INT's from Fiva Tulafale on defense,and Cody Marques spread the ball around in the win against a Crusader squad that was less than full strength. Waipahu has solidified my belief that they are the favorites to win the D-I crown this fall.
Dat mean Waipahu get chance against Iolani. Cheehoo!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:15 pm

@genks: Sam was St Louis' best RB, right? Which school did he transfer to? I'm assuming he didn't graduate yet.
He transferred to Mililani. He actually did pretty well against Mililani in last years state championship.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Narbonne,Harbor,City,CA plays Kamehameha.

The Gaucho's have won the last five Los Angeles City Section Championships in the highest division. They seem to be favored to make it six in a row this year. They have 12 players rated 3stars or better. Narbonne has a great passing combo in 4star QB Jake Garcia and 4star WR Traeshon Holden.Jordan Banks and Jared Greenfield will make life miserable for opposing offenses.

Still,there is a cloud hanging over this team.According to the site,Dailybreeze.com, The Los Angeles Unified School District is investigating the program for Academic misconduct. Head Coach Manuel Douglas and two other staffers have been reassigned pending the outcome of the investigation and any penalties that will be enforced.

Kamehameha has a tough row to hoe in this game,even if Narbonne doesn't show up with everyone they were expecting to be back. We will have to see how this investigation plays out and what effect imposed penalties on the Narbonne program,should there be any,will have on this game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 am LA Rams 7v7 champ is Campbell.StLouis got knocked out by Waipahu in one semifinal.

OK,it's a one-day pass league and St.Louis did not have DeLaura and some of his receivers in the tournament.
St.Louis is still the prohibitive favorite for the Open title this year. What l feel Campbell accomplished was to solidify their position as St.Louis' top challenger. I think the Sabers have separated themselves a little from Punahou,Mililani and Kahuku.

Waipahu got three INT's from Fiva Tulafale on defense,and Cody Marques spread the ball around in the win against a Crusader squad that was less than full strength. Waipahu has solidified my belief that they are the favorites to win the D-I crown this fall.
@#1Kahuku: You're a guy after my own heart. Exactly like you, I prefer Waipahu High to Iolani School. Anyway, I think there's no question that Waipahu not only has a chance against Iolani; I think they WILL beat them, for the following reasons:
1. Waipahu will almost definitely have a physical advantage. When was the last time, if ever, Iolani was bigger than Waipahu? 1980? Even then, while Iolani had a big O-line, I don't know that the rest of the team was big.
2. Isn't Failauga returning? If so, Iolani's D will have their hands full trying to stop him.
3. Waipahu will have a good QB (Marques) and decent receivers.
4. Some guys on this thread have posted that Waipahu can and should move-up to Open. That says a lot. I don't think anyone has said that Iolani should move-up to Open. My guess is that Iolani cannot handle Open physically. Not only are they almost always too small physically; their roster is usually small turnout-wise.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm

He transferred to Mililani. He actually did pretty well against Mililani in last years state championship.
@genks: OK, that means Mililani will have at least one decent RB. I mean, St Louis is a pass-oriented team, but when they chose to go with the run, they went with Sam, and he was decent. NOW, the question arises: Without Sam, will St Louis have a decent run game at all, this coming season?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 am Narbonne,Harbor,City,CA plays Kamehameha.

The Gaucho's have won the last five Los Angeles City Section Championships in the highest division. They seem to be favored to make it six in a row this year. They have 12 players rated 3stars or better. Narbonne has a great passing combo in 4star QB Jake Garcia and 4star WR Traeshon Holden.Jordan Banks and Jared Greenfield will make life miserable for opposing offenses.

Still,there is a cloud hanging over this team.According to the site,Dailybreeze.com, The Los Angeles Unified School District is investigating the program for Academic misconduct. Head Coach Manuel Douglas and two other staffers have been reassigned pending the outcome of the investigation and any penalties that will be enforced.

Kamehameha has a tough row to hoe in this game,even if Narbonne doesn't show up with everyone they were expecting to be back. We will have to see how this investigation plays out and what effect imposed penalties on the Narbonne program,should there be any,will have on this game.
@unpaid: No matter how the investigation affects Narbonne, I don't think there's any way Kamehameha beats them. At best, I think Kamehameha is only an above-average team. Gone are the mid- to late-'70s, when Kamehameha was an island-wide buttkicker.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:45 pm
#1Kahuku wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 pm

@#1Kahuku: You're a guy after my own heart. Exactly like you, I prefer Waipahu High to Iolani School. Anyway, I think there's no question that Waipahu not only has a chance against Iolani; I think they WILL beat them, for the following reasons:
1. Waipahu will almost definitely have a physical advantage. When was the last time, if ever, Iolani was bigger than Waipahu? 1980? Even then, while Iolani had a big O-line, I don't know that the rest of the team was big.
2. Isn't Failauga returning? If so, Iolani's D will have their hands full trying to stop him.
3. Waipahu will have a good QB (Marques) and decent receivers.
4. Some guys on this thread have posted that Waipahu can and should move-up to Open. That says a lot. I don't think anyone has said that Iolani should move-up to Open. My guess is that Iolani cannot handle Open physically. Not only are they almost always too small physically; their roster is usually small turnout-wise.
I can’t imagine Waipahu having smaller teams than Iolani’s teams from 1997 to 2001. Iolani had bigger teams than PUNAHOU did in that time span. I also think that every year from 1997 to 2004 Iolani had AT LEAST one D1 prospect, or maybe two.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:49 pm
genks wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm

@genks: OK, that means Mililani will have at least one decent RB. I mean, St Louis is a pass-oriented team, but when they chose to go with the run, they went with Sam, and he was decent. NOW, the question arises: Without Sam, will St Louis have a decent run game at all, this coming season?
St Louis doesn’t run conventional run plays very often. It’s usually draws and options. There are 2 returning RBs that I know of, limited play time for both. Don’t know much about them.