Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:58 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 pm Just saw the OIA-ILH schedule. I think the schedule makers stuck it to St. Louis, being that they play Kahuku and then us in consecutive weeks.
Lol, I think the schedule maker stuck it to Kahuku by taking the home field away. It's a big thing to play a big game at Kahuku. At least PUN played last year at Kahuku. If that game was was at Aloha, no doubt Pun would have won.
@Markeke: Really? I mean, I know Kahuku has a strong alumni following at games, but they would have followed the team to Aloha Stadium. I don't think there's reason to believe they would have lost at Aloha.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 pm I can’t remember but was there an overflowing crowd for the Punahou-Kahuku game last year? Because the Kamehameha-Kahuku was originally scheduled to happen @ Kahuku before they moved it to the stadium.
@gopunahou: Well, Punahou has a strong alumni following, too, but I don't think it's as strong as Kahuku's. I think Kahuku has the strongest alumni following on the island, though Punahou might possibly be second. There are a number of schools that might vie for second, but I really think Kahuku is clearly first.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 pm I get one solution—kick St Louis (St Lulu) and Iolani (weak-olani) outta da alliance an let dem play each udda all 17 weeks. It be the greed bowl!
@#1Kahuku: Well, there's no way Iolani can hang with St Louis physically. I mean, I'm sure Iolani wouldn't agree to playing St Louis 17 weeks. I doubt Iolani would agree to playing St Louis even 3 weeks.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

LA Rams 7v7 champ is Campbell.StLouis got knocked out by Waipahu in one semifinal.

OK,it's a one-day pass league and St.Louis did not have DeLaura and some of his receivers in the tournament.
St.Louis is still the prohibitive favorite for the Open title this year. What l feel Campbell accomplished was to solidify their position as St.Louis' top challenger. I think the Sabers have separated themselves a little from Punahou,Mililani and Kahuku.

Waipahu got three INT's from Fiva Tulafale on defense,and Cody Marques spread the ball around in the win against a Crusader squad that was less than full strength. Waipahu has solidified my belief that they are the favorites to win the D-I crown this fall.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 am LA Rams 7v7 champ is Campbell.StLouis got knocked out by Waipahu in one semifinal.

OK,it's a one-day pass league and St.Louis did not have DeLaura and some of his receivers in the tournament.
St.Louis is still the prohibitive favorite for the Open title this year. What l feel Campbell accomplished was to solidify their position as St.Louis' top challenger. I think the Sabers have separated themselves a little from Punahou,Mililani and Kahuku.

Waipahu got three INT's from Fiva Tulafale on defense,and Cody Marques spread the ball around in the win against a Crusader squad that was less than full strength. Waipahu has solidified my belief that they are the favorites to win the D-I crown this fall.
I feel like Punahou would beat Campbell without a ton of drama. Punahou blew out Campbell last year, not to mention Mililani who everyone felt had the best offense. Campbell would need a real ace at qb to beat Punahou. I don’t think they will have that yet

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

First glance at traditional mainland powers playing Hawaii teams this year.

Bishop Gorman plays St.Louis. The Gaels have 8 players rated 3stars or higher. The QB is 4star Micah Bowens, a dual threat triggerman.He will be throwing to a pair of rangy ,long targets in 6-2 182 lb Rome Odunze 1,347 yds,15 TD's in 2018, and 6-4 193 lb Donovan Smith 806 yds ,8TD's in 2018.3star LB Bam Amina made 73 tackles last year on defense. St.Louis has 10 players rated 3stars or better currently. "4star linebackers Jordan Botelho and Nick Herbig and WR Roman Wilson.3 star Jayden De Laura is the QB and Matt Sykes is rated 3stars at WR all by 247 Sports.Ditto for.LB Lawai Brown,S Kaiser Cambracho-Cho,S Kamoi Latu, DT Stanley McKenzie,and LB Darrell Masaniai. Edge to the Crusaders.

St. John Bosco plays Mililani. The Braves feature DJ Uagalelei 6-5 243 lb at QB. Depending on who you believe, he is rated at either 4 or 5stars.Kourt Williams is 4star talent at LB 6-1 200 lbs. 12 players are rated 3stars or better. Mililani has 3 players rated 3stars or better currently by 247 Sports.DE Shane Kady, OLJake Tuatagaloa,and LB Muelu Iosefa.

Edge to St. John Bosco.
Last edited by unpaid on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 am LA Rams 7v7 champ is Campbell.StLouis got knocked out by Waipahu in one semifinal.

@unpaid: I'm really glad to hear Waipahu beat St Louis, in ANY kind of competition. I'm very OK with Waipahu, but not with St Louis. Having said that, you made it clear why St Louis lost: DeLaura and some of his receivers out. Waipahu's Tulafale sounds good, getting 3 INTs. But the question is: How good was the St Louis QB? I.e., if he kind of sucked, maybe that's WHY Tulafale had 3 INTs. I'm not saying Tulafale isn't good, either, but if the St Louis QB isn't accurate or rushes his throws...

I'm also glad that you think Campbell is #2. I'd rather have them than Punahou and Mililani, though I'd rather see Kahuku at #2. Allow me to clarify here that I'm talking about the SCHOOLS, not the teams. I.e., I'd rather have Campbell High than Punahou School and Mililani High, but I prefer Kahuku High to Campbell High. I REALLY WOULD like to see Campbell beat Punahou, believe me. I would get a MAJOR charge out of that.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:54 pm

I feel like Punahou would beat Campbell without a ton of drama. Punahou blew out Campbell last year, not to mention Mililani who everyone felt had the best offense. Campbell would need a real ace at qb to beat Punahou. I don’t think they will have that yet
@genks: Yeah, I also thought Punahou was better than Campbell. I think a lot will depend on how good Campbell's defensive front-seven is, given especially that Punahou's strength is on O.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:16 pm First glance at traditional mainland powers playing Hawaii teams this year.

Bishop Gorman plays St.Louis. The Gaels have 8 players rated 3stars or higher. The QB is 4star Micah Bowens, a dual threat triggerman.He will be throwing to a pair of rangy ,long targets in 6-2 182 lb Rome Odunze 1,347 yds,15 TD's in 2018, and 6-4 193 lb Donovan Smith 806 yds ,8TD's in 2018.3star LB Bam Amina made 73 tackles last year on defense. St.Louis has three players rated 3stars or better currently. "4star linebackers Jordan Botelho and Nick Herbig. 3 star Jayden De Laura is the QB.

St. John Bosco plays Mililani. The Braves feature DJ Uagalelei 6-5 243 lb at QB. Depending on who you believe, he is rated at either 4 or 5stars.Kourt Williams is 4star talent at LB 6-1 200 lbs. 12 players are rated 3stars or better. Mililani has no players rated 3stars better that I am aware of at this time.
@unpaid: I think that now that Gabriel has graduated, what does Mililani have to look forward to besides a good JV coming up? And, even if a school has a good JV coming up, it could take two years for them to make an impact. Does Mililani have any good vars returnees?

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

^^^Mililani's got some solid WRs coming back, the previously mentioned Hill, Sampaga and SB Motoyama who's also a good change-of-pace RB. Having that experience in the receiving corps can help whoever the next QB is settle in. In the past decade or so Mililani has been reloading as opposed to rebuilding as far as the QB position goes. If I remember correctly they went from McKinny --> Morikawa --> Milton --> Gabriel, I believe all in succession with no gaps(could be wrong on that one). Let's hope they can keep it going.

And Campbell's got that kid Hipa coming back at QB. Dude showed flashes as a freshman. And like Mililani, the Sabers have some experience and talent returning at SB/WR.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm
genks wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:54 pm

@genks: Yeah, I also thought Punahou was better than Campbell. I think a lot will depend on how good Campbell's defensive front-seven is, given especially that Punahou's strength is on O.
Yes the pass rush will make a huge difference in qb performance.

Punahou has good defensive play calling especially against passing. Their secondary is also strong. I could be wrong but I don’t think they lost too much to graduation from last year. However they did lose the biggest playmaker on defense.

The Campbell qb getting love from his performance and that is cool. He’s a young guy and he’s got plenty of time. But unless he takes a giant step forward this year, I just don’t see it. He could do fair in one game and awful in the next.

Let’s not forget Brady is a player. The guy can play, he can handle pressure. He just needs to find a new WR1 I believe Falatea has graduated. His line fed him to Jordan Botelho but had he been healthy, that game would’ve probably been back and forth like the 1st game.

I think Kahuku may be getting overlooked a little also. They lost to Campbell and Mil but can’t count them out. In my opinion, if I were to come up with rankings, I’d think Kahuku and Mililani get the benefit of the doubt for 1 and 2 interchangeable, and Campbell would be on my must watch list. I need to see Campbell roast some teams before I’d have confidence picking them as a favorite for the OIA.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have updated the St.Louis,Campbell,and Mililani capsules on page 1 to reflect changes due to transfers.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

I think Brendyn Agbayani will be the starter for Mililani.He was listed as a 6-0 190 lb sophomore QB in 2018. I went back through some StarAdvertiser articles and found the report about the recent GPS showcase. Agbayani was one of three QB's to win offensive awards at the end of camp alongside Iolani's Jonah Chong and Kapolei's Christian Rapis.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

unpaid wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:10 am I have updated the St.Louis,Campbell,and Mililani capsules on page 1 to reflect changes due to transfers.
Also, Tauai is not at Campbell this semester, he may be going to Moanalua
Kamalu DeBlake lb transferred to Mililani from St. Louis
Sonny Semeatu lb transferred to Mililani from Kapolei
Micah Kim lb transferred to Mililani from Moanalua
That's a HUGE upgrade to the Mililani D

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 pm ^^^Mililani's got some solid WRs coming back, the previously mentioned Hill, Sampaga and SB Motoyama who's also a good change-of-pace RB. Having that experience in the receiving corps can help whoever the next QB is settle in. In the past decade or so Mililani has been reloading as opposed to rebuilding as far as the QB position goes. If I remember correctly they went from McKinny --> Morikawa --> Milton --> Gabriel, I believe all in succession with no gaps(could be wrong on that one). Let's hope they can keep it going.

And Campbell's got that kid Hipa coming back at QB. Dude showed flashes as a freshman. And like Mililani, the Sabers have some experience and talent returning at SB/WR.
@bandits1: Glad to hear all that. I don't exactly love Mililani High, but I'd much rather have them than St Louis School or Punahou School. Campbell High, I'm very OK with. Mililani has a good JV coming up, but--like any JV--they might take two years to have an impact. I guess the question for Mililani is: How good was Gabriel's best returning backup, and how good was the JV's starting QB?

Regarding Campbell, they won't get much help from the JV. Kamehameha's JV pounded them 38-0 last season. I've heard returning vars QB Hipa is pretty good, but what about Campbell's D? I mean, it sounds like they'll be OK on O, but what about D?