wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Dick Tomey passed away

Post by wyokie »

Don't have my Wyoming nor my Hawaii media guides but I do remember Tomey is the only UH coach to have a winning record against Wyoming. RIP.

My apologizes for not posting that stat sooner...still recovering from a SECOND hernia surgery on April 19 that lasted 6 hours!!! Should be back to 100% in about 10 days.

The first hernia was in October of 2015.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Did a June Jones team ever play Wyoming?
How about McMackin? You played a great coach in Tomey.

The Pokes had a field day with Wagner teams...and Von Appen and Chow.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

SundayJam wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:35 am Did a June Jones team ever play Wyoming?

Neither McMackin nor JJ has EVER coached against WYOMING.

Loved the Wagner years except for 1992. The Pokes got destroyed in 1992. Afterwards we kept beating the tar outta the Bows. LOL Loved the 1996 game. Wyoming 66, Hawaii 0.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

RIP Tomey.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

wyokie wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 am
SundayJam wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:35 am Did a June Jones team ever play Wyoming?

Neither McMackin nor JJ has EVER coached against WYOMING.

Loved the Wagner years except for 1992. The Pokes got destroyed in 1992. Afterwards we kept beating the tar outta the Bows. LOL Loved the 1996 game. Wyoming 66, Hawaii 0.
Well, your record is better because you've missed out on our best. I love what Wagner did to pop the balloon of BYU's prom party but, realistically, he wasn't the answer for Hawaii football.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

The YouTube video compilation posted by Brian Derby (former OL from 1981 - 1985) provides a nostalgic look-back at the Dick Tomey era at UH.....https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/cour ... -the-past/

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

UH's come-from-behind upset victory over Wisconsin back in 1986 typifies the grit of the Dick Tomey UH teams....

Link

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Former UH players Jesse Sapolu, Kenny Niumatalolo, and Dino Babers among the former players paying tribute to their former HC Dick Tomey at this morning's service held at UofA…..

Link

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Glad to see former UH players included in the tribute at UA.

More videos here if you guys like to see.

https://m.arizona.edu/alumni/device/lar ... aB85TSfH5E

BigWave96744

Re: Dick Tomey Legacy Trophy begins in 2019

Post by BigWave96744 »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1135663721391562753

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

That's pretty cool. It makes games vs SJSU a little more spicy.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

As much as I like that, I think it should be between UH and UA. UA and UH have a home and home for the next two years.

I get it, SJSU. Lots of local support. But SJSU was not when Tomey was at his prime. As a UH fan, I will say Dick Tomey was at his highest with University of Arizona.

Lightly off topic, but sort of on topic. Tomey kept his house in Hawaii. He also have a house in Tucson, AZ. Does he (still) have a house in SF Bay Area?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 am As much as I like that, I think it should be between UH and UA. UA and UH have a home and home for the next two years.

I get it, SJSU. Lots of local support. But SJSU was not when Tomey was at his prime. As a UH fan, I will say Dick Tomey was at his highest with University of Arizona.

Lightly off topic, but sort of on topic. Tomey kept his house in Hawaii. He also have a house in Tucson, AZ. Does he (still) have a house in SF Bay Area?
With SJSU we play them every year.
Arizona has only played us 5 times (1951, 52, 77, 98, 2016), and schedule to play us in 2019, 2020, 2025.
You know the last time we had a trophy game with long breaks, some unorganized sports department lost the trophy :evil: [-X

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:24 am
cabanalane wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 am As much as I like that, I think it should be between UH and UA. UA and UH have a home and home for the next two years.

Arizona has only played us 5 times (1951, 52, 77, 98, 2016), and schedule to play us in 2019, 2020, 2025.
You know the last time we had a trophy game with long breaks, some unorganized sports department lost the trophy :evil: [-X
It wasn't us aka WYOMING. That long break BigWave is referring to is the one to the Paniolo Trophy. From 1998 to 2012, the series laid doormat. Sadly, since then we can't beat Hawaii at Aloha Stadium and we shoulda won last year but...Oops...our OC was being a complete moron!!!!! Had the idiot changed QBs sooner, we win and probably would've gone to our third straight bowl game which is something Wyoming has never done before! Still pissed.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:24 am
I agree with you and that make sense. I'm sure those between the schools involved thought of that too.

Do you guys think that rarely creates more excitement vs something that goes back and forth every year?

If you don't win it, we can try next year.

Or

You only have one chance, one chance at history in your college career, to bring the trophy home. Past players (on both sides) can talk about it, and rag on each other long after their playing days are over. And it would give the schools to maybe make these games more often.

It was not that long ago, that some think UH should join the Pac 12. Wait, it has been a long time ago..

Going off topic, I don't mind a Pac 18 or Pac 20 conference. MWC and Pac 12 should merge. It was Pac-5, 6, 10, and now 12. Why not expand more?