4/20/19 Practice Notes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

4/20/19 Practice Notes

Post by uhwarriors »

While there was some scrimmaging on Saturday, it was less than last week Saturday. The offense worked on some RNS plays that I didn’t see them working on in previous practices this spring. As usual, there was a lot of breaking down of different parts of the plays and working on the reads and route adjustments. They also worked on other parts of the offense that I hadn’t seen this spring.

I tried to check out the defense a bit, mostly personnel and grouping of the DBs. The first secondary group this week was mostly (CB/NB/S/S/CB) Farris, Ford, Hicks, Peterson and Davis. Second group mostly was Francisco, Kaneshiro, Okeke, Dalton, Wilson. Kaneshiro also worked out at S. Green, Kuewa, and Kamana also got reps.

It looked like Laulu, Taala, Hune, Se’ei, Akoteu and Tavai got most of the reps with interior DL positions. I didn’t have a chance to focus on the DEs and LBs.

As has been at all the practices I’ve been too, there were lots of high school players in attendance.

Highlights of the scrimmage periods:

There was less fireworks than last week, in part because the D played better. Also probably because the O was working on plays that have less explosiveness.

McDonald led the O on a 75 yard TD drive capped with a 28 yard TD run by Reed.

Smart made a nice over the shoulder 25 yard TD catch against tight coverage on a perfectly thrown pass from McDonald.

Uahinui took the O on a 75 yard TD drive. He hit Funkkhouse on a sideline pass that Funkhouser turned into about a 40 yard gain. A few plays later Uahinui threw a 35 yard TD pass to Ihu.

Uahinui threw a 15 yard TD pass to Funkhouser.

Cordeiro threw a 25 yard TD to Bryd. This play showed the level of understanding and execution of the O that Cordeiro and Byrd have. Bryd was the first read but was covered. Cordeiro went to the second and third reads but they were covered. Byrd went to a secondary route and got open. Under duress in the pocket Cordeiro found Byrd and got it to him.

Commentary:
I saw a comment on another site that the poster felt Uahinui might have passed Cordeiro. I don't think so. Uahinui did have the best practice that I've seen him have. Coming from a high school offense that didn’t throw much, he had a lot to learn and wasn’t executing efficiently when we went to the RNS last spring. Uahinui has improved a lot since then and will contend for the third spot in summer camp when the three new QBs report. Some of the new QBs appear to have a lot of talent, but they will be challenged to execute the offense as well as Uahinui. It’s my opinion that Cordeiro is firmly the number 2. He executes at a much higher level and has more arm talent than Uahinui.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 4/20/19 Practice Notes

Post by Waryor »

once again thanks for the report. good news about uahinui improving. sounds like we have good depth at qb now.,

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks uhwarriors. Again, a good synopsis. I think the thing that Uahinui might be lacking is moving around in the pocket in real time or knowing when to take off. Has he ever been timed in the 40?

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

Thanks for the report
So is there any separation in the qb race or is it still 1a/1b between mcdonald/ corderio

How does the running backs look.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Does anyone know who is rooming with who?

Last year, they put McDonald and Byrd in the same dorm hoping to build that QB-WR chemistry. I didn't really see it last year as I see better chemistry with Ursua.

I believe, could be wrong, McDonald room with Brown the year before that. At the time, Brown was the starting QB, and McDonald was the planned heir to the position.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Mahalo again uhwarriors!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:19 pm Thanks uhwarriors. Again, a good synopsis. I think the thing that Uahinui might be lacking is moving around in the pocket in real time or knowing when to take off. Has he ever been timed in the 40?
Markazulu wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm Thanks for the report
So is there any separation in the qb race or is it still 1a/1b between mcdonald/ corderio

How does the running backs look.
I don’t know Uahinui’s 40. He’s not as fast as McDonald or as quick and elusive as Cordeiro. But he’s not a statue and is fairly mobile.

McDonald and Cordeiro share 1st and 2nd group reps, although McDonald gets the 1st group reps first. McDonald seems to be having a very good spring, maybe even an outstanding spring. His improvement from last spring to this year is remarkable. Cordeiro is doing fine, but he’s probably #1B/#2. I really like the way he gets through the reads, but he needs to be little more careful with some of his throws. Uahinui gets the 3rd group reps, although he also gets some 2nd group reps too.

Furuta is Fruit Train. Physical, runs hard and blocks well. Holly has lost some weight, is leaner and is perhaps a little quicker and faster. Reed has good vision and is the most elusive of the three. Reed is much smaller, so blocking is always going to be a concern. But he gives good effort when blocking. While the D has generally been pretty good against the run during scrimmages, when the blocking is right, Holly and Reed have broken off some good runs.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

any passing to the RBs?

BigIslandHank

Post by BigIslandHank »

Mahalo uhwarriors!

wayoutwest
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Orioles

Post by wayoutwest »

Not exactly sure if Holly losing weight is a good thing. He was already going down too easily last year. Still uncertain why the coaches didn't bring in a RB, unless they are certain that Keliiliki will be contributing this year. Just please take Furuta out of the rotation. He might be stocky, but has absolutely no leg drive and goes down far too easily for a guy his size.

The QB competition appears to be a fabrication of the local media and fan base. A healthy McDonald will start over Cordeiro. Enough with this 1a/1b routine. Rolo has enough sense not to publicly announce this or risk alienating the local homers, but McDonald gives the team the best chance to win now.

And thanks for the report!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

^^^ there is some truth to that. Rolo (mainland guy) understands Hawaii better than Chow (so call local boy). Chow may be too old to play these type of "marketing," and it became (one of) his downfall.

Give local guys hope, so they will stay and support UH through the good and bad.

This is not a deception, as everyone does have a chance. A solid football program can't be all local guys.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

In regards to the coaching, Abe Elimimian on YouTube posted two weeks ago. Love his enthusiasm, constant chatter and upbeat demeanor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sueXLBPOfog