UH Baseball 2019

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: UH Baseball 2019

Post by shrek2 »

Too bad HSA doesn't cover the UH win over CSUF especially when the win occurred in dramatic fashion. With as many writers as they have, nobody covered the fact that Logan Pouelsen hit a three run homer in the night to take a walkoff win 8-6 over the ever tough CSUF baseball team.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

With a come from behind victory in the second game with CSUF in the ninth inning and a 3-1 victory in the rubber match, the Bows are more exciting to follow than the SF Giants. The Bows belong in the NCAA Big West. They have a shot to contend. I still think they should have bunted the runner over a couple of times. With the conference lead in hitting into double plays, you think the coaching would catch on that a barely 300 hitter is going to move the runner up. Really not the way the Big West plays baseball.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I'm a fan of Logan Pouelsen. Hits a home run one night and pitches the next day. Runs the basepath like he's an adult playing in Little League.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Looks like Maaki Yamazaki is going from a Big West first team selection and surprise walk-on to the Hawaii program to just an average walk-on this year. Couldn't bunt the runner over in the first inning, made an error in the 7th inning which should have been an easy underhand to second base went over the head of Ethan Lopez's head. The overall infield in the second game against CSUN looked bad. On a rundown that would end the inning in the 7th, Alex Baeza hangs on to the ball while a fielder is standing on third and could have tagged the runner caught in a rundown out. Ethan Lopez is probably a surprise now that he is starting at shortstop as he has a better arm at deep short in getting the runner out.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The infield looks really weak. Duarte can't play third base this year and if Maaki was out there at short there probably wouldn't be a miss handled pop up at short. Somehow Maaki Yamazaki provides stability to the infield even if he doesn't have a strong throw to first. When its a game of one run, its tough to deal with the errors in the outfield and infield. Jack Kennelly needs to get his head into the pitch as he seems to be backing off the plate with every pitch inside or out.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

Another lost season.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Against UCSB, the outfield looks like the kids that they have out in the field during the MLB All Star Game Home Run Derby. Just running around and chasing the ball, never really able to make the play.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Now can we get a new coach? It’s long overdue

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Yup, I think they need to go with a younger coach with more on the ball so the kids get better during the off season. Something is wrong with their conditioning program because so many of them seem to get hurt.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

My wish is that they go after local boy Keoni DeRenne. He's currently the AAA Cubs hitting coach. He may be so close to the majors that he wouldn't want to coach in college though.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The UH baseball team is almost a joke. They might want to start playing the local high schools so that they can win some games.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Last place in the Big West. Ouch. Past the time for Trapasso to step down, because Matlin will not fire him.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Adam Fogel was the heart and soul of this 2019 squad and when he went down the season went spiraling down. Look at the stats before and after he played. In fact looked at the past two years. The kid has the big bat impact and can be a major leaguer if he stays healthy. Baeza Yamazaki Hancock etc they are ok but they don’t have the big bat impact that can change the game like Fogel does. That being said Trap has to go. I would like to see Mike Brown as head coach.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:34 pm Last place in the Big West. Ouch. Past the time for Trapasso to step down, because Matlin will not fire him.
I don't quite understand why Matlin can't release Trapasso. When the team is not performing consistently over the course of years, isn't it a good reason to get a new coach? Why not release Matlin so that he can hire Trapasso at the next school Matlin is hired at?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Kind of sad for the baseball team that the only person to make the first team Big West was a walk-on who played injured this season and missed a lot of games. I wonder who they give scholarships to? Maybe Trapasso can't spot talent in position players.