4/13/19 Practice Notes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

4/13/19 Practice Notes

Post by uhwarriors »

Today’s practice featured a lot scrimmaging and fireworks on both sides of the ball. These are some of the highlights.

McDonald 55 yard deep ball to Sharsh for a TD.

Cordeiro WR screen to Phillips for a 50 yard TD.

Reed 45 and 11 yard runs.

3 interceptions by Okeke. One and possible 2 would have been pick 6s.

Several sacks by the D. Sorry wasn’t able to identify the players.

Several tackles for losses by the D. Wasn’t able to identify the players.

Cordeiro to Phillips on a drag route with Phillips getting out the back door down the sidelines for a 65 yard TD.

Sharsh laying out and catching a Cordeiro 50 yard bomb.

McDonald to Stovall for a 30 yard TD down the seam.

DE Rittner dropping back into coverage and getting an interception off a deflected pass.

Dalton big hit breaking up a pass to Funkhouser.

McDonald bomb to Stovall for 60 yard TD.

Uahinui to Huddleston for 30 yard gain.

Cordeiro threw 3 picks. Uahinui threw 1.

Two separate periods were dedicated to special teams.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: 4/13/19 Practice Notes

Post by ubercow »

big plays!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Mahalo again uhwarriors! Really appreciate your notes.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

Sounds like McDonald is still ahead of Cordeiro. Good to hear Phillips and Stovall making plays!

Thanks for the report

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

uhwarriors, thank you for the updates. They really seem to be significantly ahead of last Spring. The coaching continuity will pay dividends on both sides of the ball - especially on defense. We did not get to see the full extent of Coach Batoon’s schemes last season. 11 flying around and not thinking and hesitating will surprise opponents.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Thanks for the report.

How about the "shorter" passes? 10-20-30 yard type? Shuttle pass? Handing off the ball? How did both QBs look? Your opinion.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Waryor wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:02 pm Sounds like McDonald is still ahead of Cordeiro. Good to hear Phillips and Stovall making plays!

Thanks for the report
Duster wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:33 am uhwarriors, thank you for the updates. They really seem to be significantly ahead of last Spring. The coaching continuity will pay dividends on both sides of the ball - especially on defense. We did not get to see the full extent of Coach Batoon’s schemes last season. 11 flying around and not thinking and hesitating will surprise opponents.
cabanalane wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 am Thanks for the report.

How about the "shorter" passes? 10-20-30 yard type? Shuttle pass? Handing off the ball? How did both QBs look? Your opinion.
I wish I could say I’ve been to all 8 of the practices this spring. Trying to give a good assessment on one or a couple of practices (in my case 3) can be really dicey. Players can have good and bad days. The O or D can have good or bad days. But it’s the trend that is important. Also, what they are working on or who they are lined up with or against can make a difference in performance. Sometimes the D might do something the O hasn’t seen or practiced much against. In fact, I suspect the coaches do that on purpose for the teaching opportunity.

That said, based on the practices I’ve been to McDonald appears to be having a really good spring. Cordeiro seems to be doing good, although last Saturday he was picked 3 times.

Since I primarily watch the O and have studied the RNS a lot, I can say they appear to be significantly ahead of last year. Rather than trying to learn plays, they seem to be spending more time refining the execution. Thus, they’ve had some good sustained drives and are also connecting on some big plays. I think the D is ahead of last year based on the big plays they’ve gotten (sacks, TFLs and interceptions) but I’ll be the first to admit I don’t study or watch the D like I do with the RNS.

The O is working on all phases of the RNS both passing (short, medium and long) and running. Last week the passing game was decent and the running game had 4 really big plays. This week the passing game was explosive on both short and long throws. Two of the big passing plays were off short passes. One was a WR screen that Phillips broke for a TD. Another was Phillips’ drag route that turned into a 65 yard TD. The nice thing about that play was Phillips was Cordeiro’s 3rd or 4th read and Cordeiro got it to him in stride.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Mahalo..

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

uhwarriors, did they run the WR/bubble/jailbreak screen yet? That was one play that did not seem to work at all last season. Although opponents had a say, the timing and coordination was off. RBs also appeared to be stymied a lot on running plays, and the shovel pass to RB did not look right, which enabled opponents to drop 7/8 into coverage and create a traffic jam. Have you seen any improvement there? Without tipping the Warriors' hand, of course!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Some observations I have:

Positives: UH is loaded @ Slot, WRs are improved, McD is better than CC with accuracy and reads and the DEs are improved.

Negatives: DL is still limited in getting a push, DBs and especially CBs are average at best - open field tackling and coverage is porous. LBs are also average - still having issues diagnosing plays and reacting quickly.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: