Lomi Lomi Salmon

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Lomi Lomi Salmon

Post by cabanalane »

The quality of liquid smoke has gone down too. It does not have the same smell as before. Must be getting old cause I'm complaining about everything...

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Also found this, sorry if this was already posted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomi-lomi_salmon
Lomi salmon (more commonly known as lomi-lomi salmon) is a side dish in Hawaiian cuisine. It is a fresh tomato and salmon salad, and was introduced to Hawaiians by early Western sailors.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

ulua wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 pm Also found this, sorry if this was already posted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomi-lomi_salmon
Lomi salmon (more commonly known as lomi-lomi salmon) is a side dish in Hawaiian cuisine. It is a fresh tomato and salmon salad, and was introduced to Hawaiians by early Western sailors.
This was posted before but after second reading of the article, I saw that it was made with chili pepper and I never had lomi salmon with chili pepper so I corrected it on Wikipedia. The cucumber part I took out as well since I never had cucumber in lomi salmon. Just as crazy to add bell peppers.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm always up for talking about food, even if it's was posted or discussed before.

This reminds me. I recall asking my Samoan friends what kind good stuff they get to eat at home. Their response was "same." I'm sure they meant "American" food.

This goes back to an earlier reply, did the newer immigrants brought their cultural dishes to mix in with "local" foods? I don't know any Samoan, Tongan, or Micronesian foods. Ok, I'm sure I can google it, but that's not the point. It does not seem like their cultural dishes got transferred over.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We can go to a Chinese restaurant. A pizza place. We can go for Indian food. And on the mainland, there's plenty Persian restaurants. And now African restaurants.

How come we don't hear anything about Samoan restaurant or cuisine? There has to be, correct?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A Samoan friend with whom I used to play tennis with many years ago said that his favorite Samoan dish was palusami. A dish made with taro leaves, coconut milk and corned beef (canned kind). I don't think that canned corned beef was a canoe food back in the olden days. BTW, his wife was Caucasian from the mainland so I don't think that she cooked any Samoan meals.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

And BTW #2, there are no Samoan restaurants on Oahu as far as I know, but there was/is a Polynesian grocery store that is/was in Waipahu.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

For a Samoan restaurant to catch on, it has to undergo some transformation to suit the general American public. I believe spaghetti and chop sui is American in origin and the spices added were to suit the taste of the people who consumed the food. Even Mexican food is different in Mexico than it is in the US. I remember going to a Hawaiian-Filipino wedding and reception which was outdoors and you get exposed to a lot of interesting dishes. I'll try anything. On the other hand, I went to the UK with a couple of Midwesterners for business for three weeks and they wouldn't eat Chinese, Indian, etc in the Soho area but that's all they had since this was the food of the British Commonwealth. No steak and potatoes and we were lost in London because of my colleagues. They found a pizza place in the phone book they were ecstatic but we never found the Pizza Hut but we wandered on to a fast food truck in London and they were in heaven because they had hamburger and fries. Glad I grew up in Hawaii.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yup, Glad I grew up in Hawaii cause I'll eat anything, or try to. A guy I know make armadillo and also snake chili. Shoots, I choose that any day over traditional beef chili. Not saying it's better, but just because it's different. And what else you got? What else you like make? I'm in.

A few other guys would not even touch that cause they see armadillo as road kill.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

One thing about trying new things is you gotta be careful about what it is. Like, I wont go to a Hawaiian party and eat the fish (reef fish mostly uhu) if it was cooked with the guts as flavoring because sometimes the reef fish eat the poison coral and the whole party gets sick. I wont eat opu (pig intestine) unless I know who cleaned it. I once tried raw hamburger on a half bagel and it looked good but it had no flavor in Germany. Put lots of pepper and salt and it was fine. Luckily most food served in Germany is pretty healthy.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

That reminds me of the Filipino dish that's like pig blood soup. I forget the name. When it's hot, I can drink it (I never said it taste good). Once it starts to cool down a bit, my body felt wrong drinking it. Like something didn't felt natural.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 am
dakineguy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm If you can get raw salmon then you can just pack it in salt for a few days. I would probably freeze it for a couple days though to make sure no mo worms.
Worms. Ewww. That's why I seriously cut back on how much and how often I eat poke and sashimi now days. Fish really needs to be cooked, or in the case of dakineguy's suggestion, frozen.
Someone just gave me some Neem leaves to make tea out of. It's supposed to clean out your system. She said a week after she drank the tea, a couple of worms came out from her poop. :o I eat a lot of fish, so I'm nervous about what may come out of my stomach. haha

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Parkpill wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 am
My3Cats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 am
dakineguy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm If you can get raw salmon then you can just pack it in salt for a few days. I would probably freeze it for a couple days though to make sure no mo worms.
Worms. Ewww. That's why I seriously cut back on how much and how often I eat poke and sashimi now days. Fish really needs to be cooked, or in the case of dakineguy's suggestion, frozen.
Someone just gave me some Neem leaves to make tea out of. It's supposed to clean out your system. She said a week after she drank the tea, a couple of worms came out from her poop. :o I eat a lot of fish, so I'm nervous about what may come out of my stomach. haha
Mostly it's eating raw freshwater fish that you need to worry about or whole raw saltwater fish. Neem hahahaha okay
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I had lomi salmon at the Bay Area Hawaiian Festival and searching for salt salmon in the lomi was like searching for ahi in Ala Wai Canal. :lol: