Post by Irse »

I believe a walk on.

Noa Kamana transferring from Pacific

http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... -warriors/
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: One more LBer coming

Post by uhwarriors »

Another local boy coming back to islands. Got his shot via the walk-on tryouts. Great bloodlines.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Probably a strong safety....instead of a LB.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Everybody wants to be part of a winning program. Hope this trend continues. Stockton is a weak second to Manoa. Make Hawaii proud Noa!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Did UH even gave him a look out of HS? Just wondering?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:54 pm Everybody wants to be part of a winning program. Hope this trend continues. Stockton is a weak second to Manoa. Make Hawaii proud Noa!
University of Pacific does not have a football team. This Pacific is from Forest Grove, Oregon (DIII).
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:27 am Did UH even gave him a look out of HS? Just wondering?
I doubt it if he went to a DIII school instead.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:54 pm Everybody wants to be part of a winning program. Hope this trend continues. Stockton is a weak second to Manoa. Make Hawaii proud Noa!
University of Pacific does not have a football team. This Pacific is from Forest Grove, Oregon (DIII).
Thanks. I don't think I would have ever found it if I was searching for a University to go to. I guess its kinda like Linfield where a lot of local kids go and nearby Pacific University.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Great bloodlines indeed....

Noa's dad (Carter, Kamehameha-Kapalama & Michigan State) and uncle (John, Punahou & USC)….were among the awesome Class of 1980 group of stud local athletes....
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 60398.html

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Whoa! That 1980 class was awesome.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I wonder if there are stats on bloodline and sports? Micheal Jordan's sons don't have it. Archie Manning's sons do. I wonder why we didn't hear anything about the Noga kids. If they never made it, that's ok. I would think there would be some press attention. Yes, there's more to life than football, but I figure football must be a big part of the family life.

Or did it skip a generation and the Noga grand kids will be on the watch list?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

They had a Tuinei last year that didn't have the size but probably had the heart and spirit.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Great question. Bloodlines need to take into account the other parent as well. Could be that she/he has no athletic genes in them at all. Also need to take into account the kid's heart and desire to work hard and get better.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:35 am Great question. Bloodlines need to take into account the other parent as well. Could be that she/he has no athletic genes in them at all. Also need to take into account the kid's heart and desire to work hard and get better.
shrek2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:58 am They had a Tuinei last year that didn't have the size but probably had the heart and spirit.
Wasn't Yao Ming's father like 6'9" and his mom like 6'4" and both were basketball players for the Chinese team. When you consider that Chinese are generally on the smaller side, both parents are already supertall. And if Yao pulls the tall genes from both sides, it's like an explosion of 7'4".

On the flip side in the U.S. once a pro athlete made it, with big money, they often attract the pretty women, who may not athletic, thin, and of normal size. So their sons are not as big and strong as their fathers.

Shaq's son is 6'9". Tall, true, but not 7" feet and Superman size. Isn't Shaq's current GF like 5'2". Opposites do attract.

So I can see how bloodline often work the other way, when we factor in biology.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:07 pm Whoa! That 1980 class was awesome.
I am a 1980 grad and recognize most of those guys. I am not sure if success in college is the barometer for making this list, but there are some omissions IMHO. Ken Smith from Kahuku was one. He was a stalwart DL and also two time state wrestling champion in the unlimited weight class. I also seem to recall that he was national champion in greco-roman wrestling. I think he was on the UH football roster but don't know what happened since I went to college on the continent.

Another guy that comes to mind is Watson Tanuvasa (Onosai's brother), RB from Moanalua. Set the OIA West single game rushing record until later broken, probably by Adrian Murrell. Dude was a moose on wheels, carrying defenders on his back.

Akiu and Hadama - football/baseball guys who ran track. Came in at 1 and 2 in the 100 meters at States at Kaiser in 1980.