2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:33 pm @gopunahou: This might piss you off. Today, Punahou School's softball team played Mid-Pac Institute. The Puns were up 10-0 in the 5th, but the Owls stormed back to win, 15-12. That is nuts. That means the Owls scored 15 runs over the last 3 innings of the game (they were the home team). One of the Owls' girls hit a walk-off grand slam. So, the Puns were ahead 12-11 in the bottom of the last inning, and might have won by that score, if not for that grand slam. Doo-doo happens. The Puns are now 0-2, which means they will likely lose their #1 ranking in the Star-Advertiser.
I know this is a BB thread, but we can't let that kind of loss destroy our confidence. Because that's what those types of losses do. This team does not need a #1 ranking. It needs a confidence booster ASAP.
@gopunahou: That's right, this is a basketball thread; I lost track of that fact. Anyway, not all is lost for the Puns' softball team. There's still the ILH double-elimination tourney near the end of regular season. No matter how badly they do in the front-end regular season, there's always the chance that they'll do well in double-elimination. If they should win the double-elimination tourney, they can play for the ILH title, and would also have gotten an automatic state berth as winner of that tourney.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Fact is, our girls teams across the board have been down since about 2014 or 2015. Very disappointing.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:01 pm Fact is, our girls teams across the board have been down since about 2014 or 2015. Very disappointing.
@gopunahou: Take heart. I just started a girls' water polo thread, and guess which school I'm picking to win ILH and states? I'll give you one fat guess.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:01 pm Fact is, our girls teams across the board have been down since about 2014 or 2015. Very disappointing.
@gopunahou: Take heart. I just started a girls' water polo thread, and guess which school I'm picking to win ILH and states? I'll give you one fat guess.
The one with the most state championships in girls water polo history. Has there ever been another school that's won a state championship in that sport?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

On the subject of boys basketball, Iolani’s coach resigned. I wonder if they’ll bring Doc back.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:40 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm
The one with the most state championships in girls water polo history. Has there ever been another school that's won a state championship in that sport?
@gopunahou: I think another school did take it, but I think it was back in the first decade of the century, if then. By the way, Punahou School played Kamehameha Schools yesterday, but I can't find the score anywhere. It's not in the paper, and it's not on scoringlive. But, I would assume that the Puns won.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:22 am On the subject of boys basketball, Iolani’s coach resigned. I wonder if they’ll bring Doc back.
@gopunahou: I don't think Mugiishi will return. Like, he's 59 or 60 already. I mean, that's his alma mater, but I think that's asking quite a bit for someone his age. Yes, there are basketball coaches older than he, but after having left coaching for all these years, I'd be surprised if he returned.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:59 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:22 am On the subject of boys basketball, Iolani’s coach resigned. I wonder if they’ll bring Doc back.
@gopunahou: I don't think Mugiishi will return. Like, he's 59 or 60 already. I mean, that's his alma mater, but I think that's asking quite a bit for someone his age. Yes, there are basketball coaches older than he, but after having left coaching for all these years, I'd be surprised if he returned.
If Cal Lee can come back, why couldn’t he?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

My prediction is Mid-Pacific's HC, Ryan Hirata, will be pursued to take the position. Makes sense. Hirata was part of that 'Iolani dynasty along with Low that brought 3 state championships to the school. Although I would rather continue to see him coach the Owls.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Anyone's predictions for league MVPs & COY?

For MVP, I got:
ILH - Kamata, OIA West - Ja'Shon Carter, OIA East - Everett Torres-Kahapea

For Coaches, I got:
ILH - Larry Park or Ryan Hirata, OIA West - Kapolei Coach, OIA East - Wally Marciel

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I wonder if Iolani's new dorms will bring in any overseas or neighbor island recruits

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:55 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:59 pm
If Cal Lee can come back, why couldn’t he?
@gopunahou: OK, Cal is an example of a coach who's older than Mugiishi. Cal is 71 or 72, I think. But Cal was coaching throughout, to the present. Even when he had left St Louis School, he then went on to be an assistant coach at his alma mater, Kalani High. Mugiishi, as far as I know, cut clean from coaching when he left Iolani School.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Regarding the Iolani basketball vacancy, I think Ryan Hirata is the front runner with Branden Kawazoe a close second.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

Getting drilled tonight. It sucks doodoo that our bad luck in FB championship games has transitioned to BB ones. We need a comeback for the ages.

The reason Punahou didn't win this year is because they only had a few true basketball players. Most of the Punahou contributors this year are good athletes that happen to play basketball. Last year's team had basketball players - Mausolf, Chong, Hosoda, & Arcenaux.

Hats off to Maryknoll, they played great all season. Iolani also over achieved this season for the lack of size on their team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm Getting drilled tonight. It sucks doodoo that our bad luck in FB championship games has transitioned to BB ones. We need a comeback for the ages.

The reason Punahou didn't win this year is because they only had a few true basketball players. Most of the Punahou contributors this year are good athletes that happen to play basketball. Last year's team had basketball players - Mausolf, Chong, Hosoda, & Arcenaux.

Hats off to Maryknoll, they played great all season. Iolani also over achieved this season for the lack of size on their team.
@Hooper: Like most undersized teams, Iolani compensated with perimeter shooting. But, when they're cold from the perimeter, they're in deep doo-doo.