2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:15 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:50 pm
@Naz: Well, this year might be different. I mean, his team blasted Iolani School. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time this year that the Raiders were blasted that badly by a Hawaii team. His only loss was to Kamehameha Schools, and that was by only 1 point. Right now, Maryknoll School is ranked #1. Iolani School was ranked #2. So, his #1 team blasted #2. That has to count for something, right?
Maryknoll has the size this year. They're doing to the league what 'Iolani was able to do to everybody when they had height a few seasons ago. Grant's teams always look good leading up to the state tournament (except two years ago when they lost to bottom team St. Louis in the first round of the ILH tournament). Their losses to Damien and, shockingly, Kamehameha only further shows me that they are no less beatable now than they were at the start of the season. When it comes to Grant going all the way to the championship, for me, believing is seeing.
@Naz: OK, didn't Maryknoll lose to Damien somewhat early, about the time Damien had beaten Punahou and was ranked #1? As for the Kamehameha loss, my understanding is that Maryknoll was cold from the perimeter, which forced them to go into the paint. And, Kamehameha scored the winning basket with less than 2 seconds left in the game, with Maryknoll leading by 1, up until that shot. I don't know, when Maryknoll blasted Iolani by 18 last night, that was seeing. Shouldn't it also be believing? Remember, Iolani was ranked #2 before the game, right behind Maryknoll.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

We're about to beat Iolani. However, another matchup or two against them might await us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:20 pm
@Naz: OK, didn't Maryknoll lose to Damien somewhat early, about the time Damien had beaten Punahou and was ranked #1? As for the Kamehameha loss, my understanding is that Maryknoll was cold from the perimeter, which forced them to go into the paint. And, Kamehameha scored the winning basket with less than 2 seconds left in the game, with Maryknoll leading by 1, up until that shot. I don't know, when Maryknoll blasted Iolani by 18 last night, that was seeing. Shouldn't it also be believing? Remember, Iolani was ranked #2 before the game, right behind Maryknoll.
I have seen Grant's teams blow it in the ILH tournament, the semi-finals, and the finals all in years where he underachieved with good teams. This year is no different regardless of beating Iolani by however many points. I won't hold my breath until I see Maryknoll in the state final game and actually win it. Grant has proven he can blow it any stage of the post-season.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I do know--from hearing that Farrington lost to Kalani tonight--that there are no consistent teams in the OIA, although Moanalua's been hot. Regardless if they win the OIA or don't, if they were to beat any of the ILH state tournament teams, it'd be just as big of a shock as their 1996 and 1997 championship teams.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:31 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:20 pm
I have seen Grant's teams blow it in the ILH tournament, the semi-finals, and the finals all in years where he underachieved with good teams. This year is no different regardless of beating Iolani by however many points. I won't hold my breath until I see Maryknoll in the state final game and actually win it. Grant has proven he can blow it any stage of the post-season.
@Naz: Well, let me tell you, Grant isn't the only basketball coach who can blow it any stage of the post-season. Heck, I can think of a coach who can blow it during regular season as well. Not gonna mention names. Hint: He was coaching last year, but not this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:03 am I do know--from hearing that Farrington lost to Kalani tonight--that there are no consistent teams in the OIA, although Moanalua's been hot. Regardless if they win the OIA or don't, if they were to beat any of the ILH state tournament teams, it'd be just as big of a shock as their 1996 and 1997 championship teams.
@gopunahou: Yeah, Moanalua High has been rocking, lately. Other schools had better watch-out for them. Your alma mater vs them would be a good game.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Moanalua is running through an OIA that is in a very down year, even for the East. It's funny that their only loss is to a team that isn't even OIA D1. Put Moanalua in a league like the ILH, and they're probably scratching the bottom of the league alongside Saint Louis and Kamehameha.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kamehameha Schools beat Iolani School, 49-46, just a few minutes ago. That's something of a shocker.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 pm Kamehameha Schools beat Iolani School, 49-46, just a few minutes ago. That's something of a shocker.
In his first season at Kamehameha, Larry Park has already outdone his predecessor already with wins over #1 Maryknoll and #3 Iolani in league play. Once Park starts building his program the way he wants it, he's likely going to be able to give the ILH blue bloods a run for their money even with half the talent that they have.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:49 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 pm Kamehameha Schools beat Iolani School, 49-46, just a few minutes ago. That's something of a shocker.
In his first season at Kamehameha, Larry Park has already outdone his predecessor already with wins over #1 Maryknoll and #3 Iolani in league play. Once Park starts building his program the way he wants it, he's likely going to be able to give the ILH blue bloods a run for their money even with half the talent that they have.
@Naz: I agree that Kamehameha Schools doesn't have much basketball talent, but what they do tend to have--more than talent--is size, particularly if you're talking about bulk. Height-wise, I don't know. They're usually not as short as Iolani School, but they're also usually not as tall as Punahou School. I think they're kind of a mixed bag, height-wise. I've noticed that Punahou School has some thick guys, too.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Ok, guys, Monday is a big day for OIA & ILH. Seedings will be determined and much more:

- Will Kahuku miss the OIA finals for the first time in three seasons? Does Kapolei FINALLY get to the OIA ship game?
- Does Punahou upset Maryknoll and mess up the state tourney seedings even more? Is this Saint Francis last game of the season (and forever)? ALSO does the reigning Gatorade POY not even make the state tournament?

My predictions:

Moanalua beats Kailua in the OIA finals...ILH seedings end up being (1) Maryknoll (2) Punahou (3) Iolani.

What's everyone elses predictions?

P.S. What a championship game on the girls end. I was gutted for Kamehameha that the shot did not count. And I feel Kalina Obrey was robbed of the tournament's Most Outstanding Player Award.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:56 pm Ok, guys, Monday is a big day for OIA & ILH. Seedings will be determined and much more:

- Will Kahuku miss the OIA finals for the first time in three seasons? Does Kapolei FINALLY get to the OIA ship game?
- Does Punahou upset Maryknoll and mess up the state tourney seedings even more? Is this Saint Francis last game of the season (and forever)? ALSO does the reigning Gatorade POY not even make the state tournament?

My predictions:

Moanalua beats Kailua in the OIA finals...ILH seedings end up being (1) Maryknoll (2) Punahou (3) Iolani.

What's everyone elses predictions?

P.S. What a championship game on the girls end. I was gutted for Kamehameha that the shot did not count. And I feel Kalina Obrey was robbed of the tournament's Most Outstanding Player Award.
@Naz: I hear ya. I don't like Iolani School, so I was very bitter that they won. And, I absolutely agree that Obrey should have been MOP, for the following 3 reasons: 1.) She set a new tourney scoring record, and she set it against a strong semifinal school (Kalani High), 2.) She outscored Iolani School's Wu in the title game, and 3.) She swished a trey that would have sent the game to OT, had she released the shot just a nanosecond sooner. So, Obrey clearly should have been the MOP, not Wu. The MOP shouldn't always have to come from the winning school. Kalina, if by some chance you happen to be reading this, at least 2 guys are convinced that you should be MOP!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

@HS Football Fanatic

To add another reason why Obrey should've got it was that every night of the tournament, Obrey was facing defenses that focused strictly on her throwing double and triple teams at her and she still managed to do what she did. The Wu girl from Iolani didn't have to deal with that whatsoever.
I've read comments in other forums about the game, and I haven't seen one person disagree with the opinion that Obrey should've been the MOP. In my opinion, the committee that selects the all tourney team needs to take a day or two, evaluate everything, and then make a decision. It seems like these teams are always picked in a rush the night of the final game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 pm @HS Football Fanatic

To add another reason why Obrey should've got it was that every night of the tournament, Obrey was facing defenses that focused strictly on her throwing double and triple teams at her and she still managed to do what she did. The Wu girl from Iolani didn't have to deal with that whatsoever.
I've read comments in other forums about the game, and I haven't seen one person disagree with the opinion that Obrey should've been the MOP. In my opinion, the committee that selects the all tourney team needs to take a day or two, evaluate everything, and then make a decision. It seems like these teams are always picked in a rush the night of the final game.
@Naz: The problem is that there's this belief that the MOP must ALWAYS come from the winning school. This is a rip-off. Obrey CLEARLY should have been declared MOP. The selection of Wu adds insult to injury. Obrey thought she had the game-tying shot, then it was yanked away from her. That was devastating enough. Then Wu is selected MOP. This is an injustice and an unmitigated rip-off. Obrey was ROBBED TWICE. This is a terrible thing to do to a teenage kid.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm
Naz wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 pm @HS Football Fanatic

@Naz: The problem is that there's this belief that the MOP must ALWAYS come from the winning school. This is a rip-off. Obrey CLEARLY should have been declared MOP. The selection of Wu adds insult to injury. Obrey thought she had the game-tying shot, then it was yanked away from her. That was devastating enough. Then Wu is selected MOP. This is an injustice and an unmitigated rip-off. Obrey was ROBBED TWICE. This is a terrible thing to do to a teenage kid.
I saw the same thing happen in Game 3 of the 1990 NBA Finals, when the Blazers hit a shot that seemingly tied the game against the Pistons. The refs ruled it came too late.

Anyway, Iolani experienced the best and worst of both worlds this weekend. Their soccer team lost a heartbreaker to us. :D :D :D