2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 am
gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm It was our turn to suffer a baffling loss. St. Francis at home. Perhaps St. Francis is playing hard knowing that its days are numbered.
@gopunahou: Yes, that was baffling, indeed. Didn't see that coming. As a Punahou alumnus, you must be pissed. As for me, well, you know I'm not a Punahou School fan. But as for you, you must feel sick, especially since the game went to OT. If it's any consolation, Punahou School's boys' soccer team is doing well; I don't know if you follow soccer.
@gopunahou: Oops. Looks like I spoke too fast. This afternoon, Kamehameha Schools beat your alma mater in boys' soccer, 2-1. Before that game, Punahou School was undefeated, and ranked #1 in the state. Like they say, "When it rains, it pours." It's tough out there. Schools are knocking each other off, and not only in boys' basketball.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:49 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm It was our turn to suffer a baffling loss. St. Francis at home. Perhaps St. Francis is playing hard knowing that its days are numbered.
@gopunahou: Yes, that was baffling, indeed. Didn't see that coming. As a Punahou alumnus, you must be pissed. As for me, well, you know I'm not a Punahou School fan. But as for you, you must feel sick, especially since the game went to OT. If it's any consolation, Punahou School's boys' soccer team is doing well; I don't know if you follow soccer.
I do sometimes. KSK seems to save their best effort for us. But it’d suck to lose to Iolani again considering they’ve got a strong team.

@gopunahou: Oops. Looks like I spoke too fast. This afternoon, Kamehameha Schools beat your alma mater in boys' soccer, 2-1. Before that game, Punahou School was undefeated, and ranked #1 in the state. Like they say, "When it rains, it pours." It's tough out there. Schools are knocking each other off, and not only in boys' basketball.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:24 pm
@Naz: It's apparent from your posts that you have a good basketball mind. I don't know your age, but if you're not "too old" (whatever that is), you should coach high school basketball, any school, boys or girls.

If Makaula wasn't playing, well, there's your game right there. If he plays, Punahou School probably wins; the game probably wouldn't even have gone to OT. And again, I agree that Iolani School has been Steady Eddie. But, I wish they weren't, because I don't care for that school at all. But, things are what they are; what can you do? Also, I too hope that Mid-Pac Institute bumps someone and goes to States. I'd rather have them than any of the other top three ILH D1 schools.
Eh, mahalo HS Football Fanatic. Glad to be able to talk prep bball with you guys throughout the week for the past two seasons. I'm in my early 30s graduated in the era of no Division 2 (which is how I feel it should be). I will be the first to admit that I would not make a good coach I'm a not a basketball strategist by any means I just point out the obvious.

Makaula would've made a difference on both ends in that game. I just don't understand how any coach would not send a double-team to that kid and make any other kid take the shot. I can't believe that shot ended up on Sportscenter Top 10. Like, really? Was it that slow of a day in sports?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:07 pm

I do sometimes. KSK seems to save their best effort for us. But it’d suck to lose to Iolani again considering they’ve got a strong team.

@gopunahou:
This should make you feel better: Last week, in boys' soccer, Iolani jumped-out to a 2-0 lead against Punahou, only to see Punahou tie it up at 2-2, and that's how the game ended.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:54 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:24 pm
@Naz: It's apparent from your posts that you have a good basketball mind. I don't know your age, but if you're not "too old" (whatever that is), you should coach high school basketball, any school, boys or girls.

If Makaula wasn't playing, well, there's your game right there. If he plays, Punahou School probably wins; the game probably wouldn't even have gone to OT. And again, I agree that Iolani School has been Steady Eddie. But, I wish they weren't, because I don't care for that school at all. But, things are what they are; what can you do? Also, I too hope that Mid-Pac Institute bumps someone and goes to States. I'd rather have them than any of the other top three ILH D1 schools.
Eh, mahalo HS Football Fanatic. Glad to be able to talk prep bball with you guys throughout the week for the past two seasons. I'm in my early 30s graduated in the era of no Division 2 (which is how I feel it should be). I will be the first to admit that I would not make a good coach I'm a not a basketball strategist by any means I just point out the obvious.

Makaula would've made a difference on both ends in that game. I just don't understand how any coach would not send a double-team to that kid and make any other kid take the shot. I can't believe that shot ended up on Sportscenter Top 10. Like, really? Was it that slow of a day in sports?
@Naz: You say you wouldn't make a good coach, yet you saw something that Punahou School's coach didn't. That tells me that if he's coaching, so can you.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

We lost tonight to Maryknoll and play Iolani next. We cannot let this string of losses ruin our confidence and season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:20 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:07 pm

@gopunahou:
This should make you feel better: Last week, in boys' soccer, Iolani jumped-out to a 2-0 lead against Punahou, only to see Punahou tie it up at 2-2, and that's how the game ended.
Can someone explain to me the crazy world of boys' soccer? As mentioned above, Kamehameha beat previously undefeated and #1-ranked Punahou, 2-1. A day or two later, Iolani beat Kamehameha, 4-0. That was this past Saturday. And then, just today, Punahou beat Iolani, 4-1, for the ILH D1 title. None of this makes any sense to me.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Going back to basketball, Maryknoll School whipped Iolani School, 67-45, just a few minutes ago. Increasingly, it looks like Maryknoll School will be State D1 champ. I mean, beating Iolani School is one thing; whipping them is another. I don't think any school can touch them right now.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:34 pm Going back to basketball, Maryknoll School whipped Iolani School, 67-45, just a few minutes ago. Increasingly, it looks like Maryknoll School will be State D1 champ. I mean, beating Iolani School is one thing; whipping them is another. I don't think any school can touch them right now.
They've likely clinched the top spot in the ILH. However, that didn't help them win the state title last year. Hopefully, the presence of Tamatoa Falatea can help us close the gap between them and us.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:34 pm Going back to basketball, Maryknoll School whipped Iolani School, 67-45, just a few minutes ago. Increasingly, it looks like Maryknoll School will be State D1 champ. I mean, beating Iolani School is one thing; whipping them is another. I don't think any school can touch them right now.
The two coaches who have underachieved the last 10+ years with the most talented teams have been Grant and Matsui. Both guys should have way more state titles to their names than they actually do with the talent they constantly have had year in and year out.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:49 pm
They've likely clinched the top spot in the ILH. However, that didn't help them win the state title last year. Hopefully, the presence of Tamatoa Falatea can help us close the gap between them and us.
@gopunahou: Well, your alma mater has to worry about getting past Iolani School first. But if Falatea plays, they should be able to do it, especially given how Maryknoll School whipped the Raiders' fannies last night. Well, not that I want Punahou School to win, but obviously you do.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:53 pm
The two coaches who have underachieved the last 10+ years with the most talented teams have been Grant and Matsui. Both guys should have way more state titles to their names than they actually do with the talent they constantly have had year in and year out.
@Naz: Well, I don't know about Matsui, but it looks like Grant is on a roll with his Spartans.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm
@Naz: Well, I don't know about Matsui, but it looks like Grant is on a roll with his Spartans.
I have no faith in Grant's teams and this year's is no different. Just last year he locked the #1 overall seed in the state tournament and lost to the OIA runner up in the semis. Years ago when Maryknoll made it to the state finals, he had a 6'9" German transfer, two New Zealand transfers, and two guards who would eventually go on to be state players of the year (Gilmore and Bernett)... And still lost to Kalaheo.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm
I have no faith in Grant's teams and this year's is no different. Just last year he locked the #1 overall seed in the state tournament and lost to the OIA runner up in the semis. Years ago when Maryknoll made it to the state finals, he had a 6'9" German transfer, two New Zealand transfers, and two guards who would eventually go on to be state players of the year (Gilmore and Bernett)... And still lost to Kalaheo.
@Naz: Well, this year might be different. I mean, his team blasted Iolani School. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time this year that the Raiders were blasted that badly by a Hawaii team. His only loss was to Kamehameha Schools, and that was by only 1 point. Right now, Maryknoll School is ranked #1. Iolani School was ranked #2. So, his #1 team blasted #2. That has to count for something, right?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:50 pm
@Naz: Well, this year might be different. I mean, his team blasted Iolani School. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time this year that the Raiders were blasted that badly by a Hawaii team. His only loss was to Kamehameha Schools, and that was by only 1 point. Right now, Maryknoll School is ranked #1. Iolani School was ranked #2. So, his #1 team blasted #2. That has to count for something, right?
Maryknoll has the size this year. They're doing to the league what 'Iolani was able to do to everybody when they had height a few seasons ago. Grant's teams always look good leading up to the state tournament (except two years ago when they lost to bottom team St. Louis in the first round of the ILH tournament). Their losses to Damien and, shockingly, Kamehameha only further shows me that they are no less beatable now than they were at the start of the season. When it comes to Grant going all the way to the championship, for me, believing is seeing.