2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:09 pm
Neighbor wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm How's Kahuku doing this year? Anyone catch any of their games or see any big-time transfers? If not, it seems it might just be a ILH showdown for D1 at least?
They haven’t won a league game yet. To be fair, they’ve played Farrington, Kaiser, and Kailua, with their biggest loss coming by 6 pts.
@gopunahou: Yeah, I don't think Kahuku is going very far this year. They just don't have it.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Whoever wins the OIA D1 is a longshot to win states. The best OIA teams are in D2.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 pm Based on his potential and size, Kailua’s Isaiah Hopson might catch the attention of scouts. But his numbers are nowhere near that of a D1 prospect. BTW, is he the son of former NBA player Dennis Hopson?
Everyone has their own criteria to evaluate players, but for me like I have mentioned prior, how you perform in the 'Iolani Classic carries a lot of weight for me in regards to whether or not you are potentially a collegiate-level player. Hopson had a measley 3 pts in a 70 pt blowout to Oak Ridge. THREE POINTS. That night, he was definitely going up against the caliber of guys who are competing for college spots. Even the next night, Mid-Pac held him to FOUR. For someone who should be "catching the attention of scouts", there is no way Kailua should be losing games like they have in pre-season. Last night, D-II Farrington put a whopping on them (not sure if Hopson was in the lineup).

As far as kids with size that show any hint of next level possibilities, I think Tobin from Maryknoll is head and shoulders above anyone else the state has to offer right now.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Neighbor wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm How's Kahuku doing this year? Anyone catch any of their games or see any big-time transfers? If not, it seems it might just be a ILH showdown for D1 at least?
The guys leading the way now for Kahuku were all the third-stringers from just two seasons ago when they won the 2017 OIA & state title. I felt even with that, they wouldn't have gotten to this bad of a start in OIA regular season play. Obviously, they do not have stud transfers this season but they also don't have a legit pg like they had in 2017 (and somewhat in 2018). I feel Akana is doing the best with what he has and I don't think there is another coach on this island who would do any better given the current Kahuku roster, but it's looking like a down year for Kahuku. They've already dropped two games to OIA D-II teams so far. I always wonder how dangerous Akana would be if he coached one of the big ILH schools. I guarantee he'd have brought more titles to whichever of those schools than any of the current coaches that are already there. What you can't deny Akana for is that in his past three (and only) seasons, he hasn't done worse than going to the state tournament semi-final (and twice to the state final). Looking like a different story this year, though.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Not to discredit Kamehameha, because they earned that win against Maryknoll, but one factor could be that Maryknoll was looking ahead. They beat us today. As for KSK, they play Iolani tonight and can capitalize on their Maryknoll win. It could bring them into state tournament contention.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm Not to discredit Kamehameha, because they earned that win against Maryknoll, but one factor could be that Maryknoll was looking ahead. They beat us today. As for KSK, they play Iolani tonight and can capitalize on their Maryknoll win. It could bring them into state tournament contention.
Let's not forget Falatea for Pun was missing from a recruiting trip. He's a key piece for them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:50 pm Whoever wins the OIA D1 is a longshot to win states. The best OIA teams are in D2.
@gopunahou: The best OIA teams are in D2? What's up with that?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm Not to discredit Kamehameha, because they earned that win against Maryknoll, but one factor could be that Maryknoll was looking ahead. They beat us today. As for KSK, they play Iolani tonight and can capitalize on their Maryknoll win. It could bring them into state tournament contention.
@gopunahou: I don't think they were looking ahead or taking Kamehameha lightly. I suspect that they simply weren't up for the game. Kamehameha probably sensed that, and like how sharks sense blood in the water, they played at another level, especially on defense.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:33 pm
Let's not forget Falatea for Pun was missing from a recruiting trip. He's a key piece for them.
@Naz: Well, that's probably it. You figure he's worth at least 6 points more.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:10 pm
@Naz: Well, that's probably it. You figure he's worth at least 6 points more.
Most definitely. He has the most points and 3-pointers scored for Punahou as of today. He's averaging 11 ppg since the pre-season and 9 ppg for the first two ILH reg season games. Not to mention, he is a defensive minded player so he would've been a significant piece on both ends.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Iolani suffered a brutal 1-point loss to Punahou a couple nights ago. Brutal not only because of the slimmest of margins, but also because 1.) Both schools are in the Top 3, and 2.) They are bitter rivals in general. If there's one school Iolani School doesn't want to lose to, it is Punahou School. Iolani alumni must be pissed.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One thing that is frustratingly inconsistent is St. Louis. Tuesday night, they lost at home by 13 to Mid-Pac. Then tonight, they gave us all we could handle at our place. I know the SLS athletic department only cares about football, but wouldn’t it make them feel better to have a contender here, too?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:39 pm One thing that is frustratingly inconsistent is St. Louis. Tuesday night, they lost at home by 13 to Mid-Pac. Then tonight, they gave us all we could handle at our place. I know the SLS athletic department only cares about football, but wouldn’t it make them feel better to have a contender here, too?
@gopunahou: Well, St Louis isn't the only inconsistent team; Kamehameha is just as bad. Also, I'm sure the St Louis Athletic Dept doesn't care only about football; I'm sure they want to be good in other sports, too, as would any school. Actually, I think St Louis School is a contender in basketball. They took your alma mater to OT before falling, and they beat St Francis twice.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

It just shows that even in Hawaii, pure athleticism isn't enough to win basketball games. You gotta have the guys who play the game year-round and have the basketball IQ and sport-specific skills.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There actually was a time when St. Louis ruled in hoops.The Crusaders had a 60+ game win streak extending through three seasons when I was a middle schooler in the mid-1960's.Jim Nicholson and Howie Dunnam led the charge. They have more than football to hang their hat on.