St. Francis closing down

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: St. Francis closing down

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:14 pm I'm old (so I'm not going to be PC), St. Francis was a girl school. And when you are dating a girl from St. Francis, that was special...
@cabanalane: As you may have seen in a previous post, I'm no spring chicken myself, having been in high school during the mid-'70s. For guys like you and I, St Francis High will be remembered as being a girls' school, which it was for so many decades. Don't know about you, but when I was in high school, there seemed to be a consensus that the prettiest girls were at Sacred Hearts Academy.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm
@cabanalane: As you may have seen in a previous post, I'm no spring chicken myself, having been in high school during the mid-'70s. For guys like you and I, St Francis High will be remembered as being a girls' school, which it was for so many decades. Don't know about you, but when I was in high school, there seemed to be a consensus that the prettiest girls were at Sacred Hearts Academy.
Sacred Hearts was #1 in the 70s-and 80s (undisputed). I'll stop there, so people don't interpret it wrong.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:01 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm
Sacred Hearts was #1 in the 70s-and 80s (undisputed). I'll stop there, so people don't interpret it wrong.
@cabanalane: Well, I don't think you have to worry. We're talking about when we were their age.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I can guarantee that one person who's posted here will try to do everything he can to keep former SFS FB players from going to SLS and my school. As for my feelings about the hottest girls, you know the way I felt when I was at Punahou.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

To be fair, when a girl you like from your school (DOE public) is going out with a guy from St. Louis, you know you get no chance. Chances are he is better looking, get better clothes, and got some money.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:59 pm
University Ave wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:54 pm The problem with Kamehameha Kapalama is when The campuses of Maui and Big Island opened. Since these campuses opened and began taking outer island talent away from the mother campus, Kapalama has fallen in competition across the board. This will not change, and I feel Kapalama should consider the move to at least compete for a state title. Punahou just had down years, Kapalama’s issues are derived more from a permanent geographic issue IMO.
@University Ave: You've raised a very good point. However, even without the campuses on Maui and the Big Island, students on those islands who want to attend Kamehameha Schools would have to board. Some would, but some wouldn't, and those who wouldn't would simply attend another high school located on those islands. So, yes, Kamehameha - Kapalama has lost some talent to the outer-island campuses. But, I don't think they've lost enough to drop down to D1. I think Kamehameha - Kapalama still has enough talent to stay in Open. Just the other season, they beat Punahou for 2nd in ILH Open, for example. So, I would recommend to Kamehameha - Kapalama that they stay in Open. I would hazard to guess that most of the players on Kamehameha - Kapalama's football teams have always been from Oahu, even before the outer-island campuses were founded. Not only that; how many blue-chippers are at the Maui and Big Island campuses anyway?
I think KSK’s best player from their 1st title team was from Maui—Jordan Rego I think. Anyway, what’s hurt them in ALL sports since about 2014 is a constant change of coaches.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 pm I can guarantee that one person who's posted here will try to do everything he can to keep former SFS FB players from going to SLS and my school. As for my feelings about the hottest girls, you know the way I felt when I was at Punahou.
@gopunahou: Well, I mean, we have to ask ourselves how much St Louis School and Punahou School are loved at large. Certainly, as a Punahou alumnus, you have every right to support your alma mater. But, the question arises: How many guys who are not alumni of Punahou School, care for that school? Well, if my own anecdotal evidence is any indication, not very many. I'd say the same about St Louis School.

As you saw in one my previous posts, I mentioned that when I was in high school, there seemed to be a consensus that Sacred Hearts Academy had the prettiest girls, and cabanalane agreed in his responding post. When I was a junior, I remember talking with three other guys in our school's English building about which schools had the prettiest girls. After several minutes of discussion, I recall that we reached this conclusion: Sacred Hearts Academy, followed by Kaiser High and Kalani High. We hadn't mentioned Punahou School, but when you say that school, I'm not going to disagree. You were there, so you would know better than I or any of the other guys I was talking with back then.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:48 am To be fair, when a girl you like from your school (DOE public) is going out with a guy from St. Louis, you know you get no chance. Chances are he is better looking, get better clothes, and got some money.
@cabanalane: Well, I would dispute that the St Louis School guy would necessarily be better-looking. He might have better clothes and more money, but even there, it might depend on which public school you're from. Take a guy from Kaiser High, for example. That school pulls kids from Portlock, a very exclusive neighborhood. So, a guy who lives in Portlock and who goes to Kaiser High, will likely have the clothes and the money to match the guy who goes to St Louis School.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:59 pm
University Ave wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:54 pm The problem with Kamehameha Kapalama is when The campuses of Maui and Big Island opened. Since these campuses opened and began taking outer island talent away from the mother campus, Kapalama has fallen in competition across the board. This will not change, and I feel Kapalama should consider the move to at least compete for a state title. Punahou just had down years, Kapalama’s issues are derived more from a permanent geographic issue IMO.
@University Ave: You've raised a very good point. However, even without the campuses on Maui and the Big Island, students on those islands who want to attend Kamehameha Schools would have to board. Some would, but some wouldn't, and those who wouldn't would simply attend another high school located on those islands. So, yes, Kamehameha - Kapalama has lost some talent to the outer-island campuses. But, I don't think they've lost enough to drop down to D1. I think Kamehameha - Kapalama still has enough talent to stay in Open. Just the other season, they beat Punahou for 2nd in ILH Open, for example. So, I would recommend to Kamehameha - Kapalama that they stay in Open. I would hazard to guess that most of the players on Kamehameha - Kapalama's football teams have always been from Oahu, even before the outer-island campuses were founded. Not only that; how many blue-chippers are at the Maui and Big Island campuses anyway?
I think KSK’s best player from their 1st title team was from Maui—Jordan Rego I think. Anyway, what’s hurt them in ALL sports since about 2014 is a constant change of coaches.
@gopunahou: I would agree with you that what's been hurting Kamehameha - Kapalama most, is coaching-turnover, not the quality/talent of the players.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:11 pm
@cabanalane: Well, I would dispute that the St Louis School guy would necessarily be better-looking. He might have better clothes and more money, but even there, it might depend on which public school you're from. Take a guy from Kaiser High, for example. That school pulls kids from Portlock, a very exclusive neighborhood. So, a guy who lives in Portlock and who goes to Kaiser High, will likely have the clothes and the money to match the guy who goes to St Louis School.
You are right.There are many well off areas that are part of the public school district. I should not be hard on my DOE educated brothers. We can complete, and that includes football too.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

KSK is competitive now with the merger. They could be on an upswing if their young qb can get going. They may look bad when they are stuck on the bottom of a 3 team league but they are very tough.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:14 pm KSK is competitive now with the merger. They could be on an upswing if their young qb can get going. They may look bad when they are stuck on the bottom of a 3 team league but they are very tough.
@genks: Well, OK, Kamehameha is competitive with the OIA Open schools. But when you've got only St Louis and Punahou in the ILH Open, then yeah, Kamehameha is bound to be last. I mean, you could argue that Punahou was #2 in the state. That means Kamehameha had the top two teams in the state to contend with in ILH Open. If you could substitute any other school in the state for Kamehameha in ILH Open, that school would be last, too.
Unfortunately, I see Kamehameha being last again next season, too. They'll beat their share of OIA Open schools, but they're simply not getting past St Louis and Punahou, again. St Louis and Punahou are recruiting left and right, and Kamehameha can't play that same game because, 1.) Admission to Kamehameha is by lottery only. 2.) Students at Kamehameha have to have Hawaiian blood. So, if there's a really good player, unless he has Hawaiian blood, Kamehameha can't even think of getting him. In effect, Kamehameha is having to fight St Louis and Punahou with one hand tied behind its back. Heck, it's easier for a public high school to recruit than it is for Kamehameha, a private school. Pretty ironic, no? Kamehameha is probably the hardest private high school to get into, because there are so many barriers to entry.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm
cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm I'm guessing geography and population shift may be the main cause. I used to live in town, so it was "easy" to go to any private school, if one can afford it. Today, many live in Mililani, Ewa, etc. with the drive home about 1:45mins. If you add football practice and such, hard to make that work.

Since this is a football forum, if private schools want to build a strong team, they got the "cheat" like St. Louis. Wait, that's not cheating. Just offer Kalihi or Laie's Best an offer to attend your school. That's how you build a team.

Recall how Punahou offer Mosi Tatupu an offer, then the school "flunk him" back to the 10th grade. He was dragging 3-4 guys across the line for a TD as a 20 year old senior. (Then they create the age rule - cause not fair).
@cabanalane: You've made some very good points. I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and Tatupu was a '74 Punahou grad. Yes, I recall he was one heck of an RB, very difficult to bring down. But then, look at how old he was. Literally a man playing among boys. I heard that the same thing was happening at St Louis School, before that age rule. Regarding the players who live in rural areas but attend private school, I think what's happening is that a lot of them simply live with a relative who lives in town. Then they don't have to make the long commute.
Mosi was at the most 19 at graduation. He lived in Lanikila housing. He was a freak ING big kid period. His older brother was ILH all star (old days) name Joe Scanlan of Farrington. Mosi also played for the first little League World champions from Honolulu. Played 3 sports for Punahou. To get a full ride from USC was a big thing. I believe he came from American Samoa when he was in the second grade. Exceptional athlete for his size and time period.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:51 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm
cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm I'm guessing geography and population shift may be the main cause. I used to live in town, so it was "easy" to go to any private school, if one can afford it. Today, many live in Mililani, Ewa, etc. with the drive home about 1:45mins. If you add football practice and such, hard to make that work.

Since this is a football forum, if private schools want to build a strong team, they got the "cheat" like St. Louis. Wait, that's not cheating. Just offer Kalihi or Laie's Best an offer to attend your school. That's how you build a team.

Recall how Punahou offer Mosi Tatupu an offer, then the school "flunk him" back to the 10th grade. He was dragging 3-4 guys across the line for a TD as a 20 year old senior. (Then they create the age rule - cause not fair).
@cabanalane: You've made some very good points. I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and Tatupu was a '74 Punahou grad. Yes, I recall he was one heck of an RB, very difficult to bring down. But then, look at how old he was. Literally a man playing among boys. I heard that the same thing was happening at St Louis School, before that age rule. Regarding the players who live in rural areas but attend private school, I think what's happening is that a lot of them simply live with a relative who lives in town. Then they don't have to make the long commute.
Mosi was at the most 19 at graduation. He lived in Lanikila housing. He was a freak ING big kid period. His older brother was ILH all star (old days) name Joe Scanlan of Farrington. Mosi also played for the first little League World champions from Honolulu. Played 3 sports for Punahou. To get a full ride from USC was a big thing. I believe he came from American Samoa when he was in the second grade. Exceptional athlete for his size and time period.
@Markeke: Well, if he lived in Lanakila Homes, then Punahou School ripped him off from McKinley High. They could have used him. If I recall correctly, McKinley High's '73-'74 team wasn't that bad; Tatupu could have made them even better. (That was Tatupu's senior year.) Makes you wonder how St Louis High beat Punahou School for the ILH title that year.