2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm Damien might have a challenger in D2. Farrington Beat Kalaheo tonight, hasn’t lost yet in the OIA, and could finish with one of the best records in the league.
@gopunahou: If they beat Kalaheo, then yeah, Damien had better be concerned about them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Maryknoll beat Iolani, just seconds ago. Perhaps Maryknoll should be ranked #2 now?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I've never cared if my team is ranked #1 right now. I've seen previous Punahou teams start strong (2014) and dominate most of the season (2015). Needless to say, those teams didn't win the big one. The only ranking that matters to me is the one at the end.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:44 am I've never cared if my team is ranked #1 right now. I've seen previous Punahou teams start strong (2014) and dominate most of the season (2015). Needless to say, those teams didn't win the big one. The only ranking that matters to me is the one at the end.
@gopunahou: Well, it would appear that Maryknoll School is your alma mater's biggest threat. We'll have a better idea of where each team stands in relation to the other, when they play each other.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm
@Naz: But not every Hawaii school was in the Iolani Classic, right? What about that kid from Kailua High, Williams? Not even D2-eligible?
You're right but there were players in this year's Classic that have been hyped up by various publications as being "next level" players even so much as to say one in particular *from SF* was "bonafide D1 point guard". Absolutely nobody gave a performance worthy of even a D2 look imho. As for the Kailua High player, I'm not sure you mean Williams do you? The only Williams player listed on Kailua averages barely 6 ppg. That is definitely not D2 eligible but who knows. I possibly see potential walk-on players. Heck if UH took the McKinley kid and the Kapolei kid as walk-ons, then why not.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:08 pm
@Naz: But not every Hawaii school was in the Iolani Classic, right? What about that kid from Kailua High, Williams? Not even D2-eligible?
You're right but there were players in this year's Classic that have been hyped up by various publications as being "next level" players even so much as to say one in particular *from SF* was "bonafide D1 point guard". Absolutely nobody gave a performance worthy of even a D2 look imho. As for the Kailua High player, I'm not sure you mean Williams do you? The only Williams player listed on Kailua averages barely 6 ppg. That is definitely not D2 eligible but who knows. I possibly see potential walk-on players. Heck if UH took the McKinley kid and the Kapolei kid as walk-ons, then why not.
@Naz: As a UH alumnus, I'm glad that UH is accepting kids from local high schools as walk-ons. After all, UH is the only D1 college basketball team in the state. It's the home team. Nice to see kids from local high schools making the team.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I'm assuming you mean the Torres-Kahapea kid who is averaging 18.7 ppg so far and not actually Williams who is averaging 6.2 ppg. I have seen the Torres-Kahapea kid play the last 3 seasons and to me has been the same player the last 3 seasons. He is a 5'10" pg who is not quick, the offense runs through him and he's given the green light to shoot without consequence, and plays the whole game. He's basically the OIA version of the Ng kid. I think he is D2 walk-on at best. I'm not sure there are a lot of coaches at any level who is jonesing for an undersized, not that quick pg to come down and take more than half of the team's shots every possession. I wouldn't even classify him as a pg, honestly, he's a sg when I think about it. My 2 cents.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:58 pm
I'm assuming you mean the Torres-Kahapea kid who is averaging 18.7 ppg so far and not actually Williams who is averaging 6.2 ppg. I have seen the Torres-Kahapea kid play the last 3 seasons and to me has been the same player the last 3 seasons. He is a 5'10" pg who is not quick, the offense runs through him and he's given the green light to shoot without consequence, and plays the whole game. He's basically the OIA version of the Ng kid. I think he is D2 walk-on at best. I'm not sure there are a lot of coaches at any level who is jonesing for an undersized, not that quick pg to come down and take more than half of the team's shots every possession. I wouldn't even classify him as a pg, honestly, he's a sg when I think about it. My 2 cents.
@Naz: Well, I've read articles about both kids. I think I'm starting to come 'round to your view: There simply aren't that many prospects in Hawaii high school basketball this year.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm
@Naz: Well, I've read articles about both kids. I think I'm starting to come 'round to your view: There simply aren't that many prospects in Hawaii high school basketball this year.
Which, honestly speaking, is par for the course for Hawai'i prep basketball every year. Once in a great while, a talent comes along that is a D1 prospect. When I think about it, there are only SIX players who have played hs basketball in Hawai'i who are currently playing D1 or signed a LOI to play D1 and they are:

1) Samuta Avea 6'6", 2) Dan Fotu 6'7" (St. Mary's), 3) Hugh Hogland 6'9" (Portland), 4) Tolu Smith 6'10" (WKU), 5) Justice Sueing 6'5" (California), and 6) Jessiya Villa 6'0" (L.O.I. w/Hawai'i). That is a very small club... and four of these guys played in one year (2017). Unheard of.
Last edited by Naz on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm
Which, honestly speaking, is par for the course for Hawai'i prep basketball every year. Once in a great while, a talent comes along that is a D1 prospect. When I think about it, there are only SIX players who have played hs basketball in Hawai'i who are currently playing D1 or signed a LOI to play D1 and they are:

1) Samuta Avea 6'6", 2) Dan Fotu 6'7" (St. Mary's), 3) Hugh Hogland 6'9" (Portland), 4) Tolu Smith (WKU), 5) Justice Sueing (California), and 6) Jessiya Villa (L.O.I. w/Hawai'i). That is a very small club... and four of these guys played in one year (2017). Unheard of.
@Naz: Well, Hawaii as a state simply doesn't have the "genes" for big-time basketball. As a state, we can hold our own in football and baseball, but not basketball.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Didn't see Kamehameha beating Maryknoll lol. Especially after they took a 25 point shellacking the first time they played. Now that ILH has three state tourney births, I thought for sure Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani were locks to get those spots but with games like this one tonight, anything can happen (especially in the single elimination ILH tournament). There may not be obvious college prospects this year, but it is fairly evenly matched amongst both OIA and ILH leagues that there are pretty entertaining games throughout.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Based on his potential and size, Kailua’s Isaiah Hopson might catch the attention of scouts. But his numbers are nowhere near that of a D1 prospect. BTW, is he the son of former NBA player Dennis Hopson?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

How's Kahuku doing this year? Anyone catch any of their games or see any big-time transfers? If not, it seems it might just be a ILH showdown for D1 at least?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Neighbor wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm How's Kahuku doing this year? Anyone catch any of their games or see any big-time transfers? If not, it seems it might just be a ILH showdown for D1 at least?
They haven’t won a league game yet. To be fair, they’ve played Farrington, Kaiser, and Kailua, with their biggest loss coming by 6 pts.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 pm Didn't see Kamehameha beating Maryknoll lol. Especially after they took a 25 point shellacking the first time they played. Now that ILH has three state tourney births, I thought for sure Maryknoll, Punahou, and Iolani were locks to get those spots but with games like this one tonight, anything can happen (especially in the single elimination ILH tournament). There may not be obvious college prospects this year, but it is fairly evenly matched amongst both OIA and ILH leagues that there are pretty entertaining games throughout.
@Naz: That was a massive upset, and it was only by 1 point. Maryknoll alumni must be crushed. Either Kamehameha's D played way over their heads, or Maryknoll was cold, or some combination. Gotta tip your hat to Kamehameha; they honestly had no business winning that game. I mean, I had Maryknoll at #2 in the state. The Warriors walked into the Spartans' house last night and kicked-over their applecart. Togiai scored the game-winning basket with less than 2 seconds left. He took the inbounds pass, drove the length of the court, and put-up the game-winning shot. He seemed to have made-up his mind that he wasn't going to be denied. Pretty amazing stuff. Even Iolani is no guarantee. They beat St Louis by only 6 last night. Schools are knocking each other off, or coming very close.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.