2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

After watching the 'Iolani Classic this year, I have to say that there are no local players who I feel are D1/D2 scholarship deserving. Nobody stood out to me. Anybody else see games from that tournament?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:06 pm Punahou 77, Damien 58 F

Hopefully we can build on this.
@gopunahou: Umm, what's there to build on? Even before the game, Punahou had been ranked #1 be the Star-Advertiser.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:21 pm After watching the 'Iolani Classic this year, I have to say that there are no local players who I feel are D1/D2 scholarship deserving. Nobody stood out to me. Anybody else see games from that tournament?
@Naz: Well, I didn't see any of the games, but I'd like to think there has to be at least one guy who's at least D2-deserving.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:15 pm
@Naz: Well, I didn't see any of the games, but I'd like to think there has to be at least one guy who's at least D2-deserving.
For a scholarship? I would say no. Players padded their stats either in blowout losses to out of state schools or against weaker Hawai'i competition. That basically sums up the 'Iolani Classic this year from the standpoint of the local schools and there were teams that looked very beatable in the first round. I have to believe Punahou would've had a decent shot beating Pleasant Grove or West Linn. Those were two teams that were not impressive to me. And Pleasant Grove has two D1 commits and barely beat Moanalua and 'Iolani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:35 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:15 pm
For a scholarship? I would say no. Players padded their stats either in blowout losses to out of state schools or against weaker Hawai'i competition. That basically sums up the 'Iolani Classic this year from the standpoint of the local schools and there were teams that looked very beatable in the first round. I have to believe Punahou would've had a decent shot beating Pleasant Grove or West Linn. Those were two teams that were not impressive to me. And Pleasant Grove has two D1 commits and barely beat Moanalua and 'Iolani.
@Naz: Well, it must be a pretty bad year in Hawaii high school basketball if there isn't at least one guy who would qualify for a D2 scholarship.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:02 pm
@Naz: Well, it must be a pretty bad year in Hawaii high school basketball if there isn't at least one guy who would qualify for a D2 scholarship.
Take my assessment with a grain of salt. There very well could be a D2 talent out there, but imo from what I saw in the 'Iolani Classic, nobody showed up. I didn't think Punahou had any D2 (basketball) talent last year and the Arceneaux boy ended up going D2. So there you go.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:31 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:02 pm
Take my assessment with a grain of salt. There very well could be a D2 talent out there, but imo from what I saw in the 'Iolani Classic, nobody showed up. I didn't think Punahou had any D2 (basketball) talent last year and the Arceneaux boy ended up going D2. So there you go.
@Naz: Well, I know Punahou is ranked #1, but...
What if we took the top player from every school, D1 and D2? Still no college D2 talent?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:39 pm
What if we took the top player from every school, D1 and D2? Still no college D2 talent?
That is just my humble thought on the players/teams I've seen. I feel like if you're aiming for a college look out of Hawai'i, you should not be playing Division 2. My thought is the 'Iolani Classic is the ultimate showcase as a local kid to show you can hang with top out of state teams. That's the competition you're competing against for college spots. Nobody at that tourney showed up and looked the part to me.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:35 pm
That is just my humble thought on the players/teams I've seen. I feel like if you're aiming for a college look out of Hawai'i, you should not be playing Division 2. My thought is the 'Iolani Classic is the ultimate showcase as a local kid to show you can hang with top out of state teams. That's the competition you're competing against for college spots. Nobody at that tourney showed up and looked the part to me.
@Naz: Well, as a UH alumnus, I'd like to see the state's top talent go to UH. That is, if they're good enough to make the team. After all, UH is D1.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 pm
@Naz: Well, as a UH alumnus, I'd like to see the state's top talent go to UH. That is, if they're good enough to make the team. After all, UH is D1.
As you well know very rarely is the state's best player good enough to be a solid D1 recruit and if they are they rarely opt to stay home silimar to football. As a UH bball supporter I'm saying there is no one from the island in the class of 2019 that would warrant a UH scholarship.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:19 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 pm
As you well know very rarely is the state's best player good enough to be a solid D1 recruit and if they are they rarely opt to stay home silimar to football. As a UH bball supporter I'm saying there is no one from the island in the class of 2019 that would warrant a UH scholarship.
@Naz: Well, I guess it's going to be one of those years, then.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:13 pm

@gopunahou: Umm, what's there to build on? Even before the game, Punahou had been ranked #1 be the Star-Advertiser.
The only ranking my team cares about is the one at the end of the season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:35 pm
@Naz: But not every Hawaii school was in the Iolani Classic, right? What about that kid from Kailua High, Williams? Not even D2-eligible?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:53 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:13 pm

The only ranking my team cares about is the one at the end of the season.
@gopunahou: Well, that's kind of my point. It looks like they'll be #1 then, too.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Damien might have a challenger in D2. Farrington Beat Kalaheo tonight, hasn’t lost yet in the OIA, and could finish with one of the best records in the league.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!