unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by Markeke »

The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.
@Markeke: Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, there was a notion that players aren't supposed to be showy, or draw too much attention to themselves. Some high schools today are offering those gold chains for INTs. I long for a simpler, more unpretentious time when coaches made it a point to take a player down a peg or two when he got too big-headed. Now they're offering those big gold chains for INTs? I don't know, there's something about that that bothers me. I think those chains might go to a player's head. Why can't a big play be its own reward, like the good ol' days?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.
You know that the number 1 college team in the country has a turnover belt?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm
@Markeke: Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, there was a notion that players aren't supposed to be showy, or draw too much attention to themselves. Some high schools today are offering those gold chains for INTs. I long for a simpler, more unpretentious time when coaches made it a point to take a player down a peg or two when he got too big-headed. Now they're offering those big gold chains for INTs? I don't know, there's something about that that bothers me. I think those chains might go to a player's head. Why can't a big play be its own reward, like the good ol' days?
You don’t even watch the games anyway so how can it bother you?

Look, you guys want to mention flexing and turnover chains. How about poor losers and picking fights because your team got blown out. How’s that for discipline.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Coach Vinny Passas is in NY for the Heisman ceremony for the 2nd time in 4 years to support one of his students. Unbelievable.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 pm
You know that the number 1 college team in the country has a turnover belt?
@genks: I can't speak for Markeke, but I don't care for 'Bama, either. I mean, there are other colleges I dislike more than them, but I don't care for 'Bama. So, I'm not impressed by their practice of awarding turnover belts.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:20 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm
You don’t even watch the games anyway so how can it bother you?

Look, you guys want to mention flexing and turnover chains. How about poor losers and picking fights because your team got blown out. How’s that for discipline.
@genks: Oh, I watch the games if they're on OC16. Regarding poor losers picking fights, yes, I condemn that, too. But I think Markeke and I stand shoulder-to-shoulder when we frown upon personal ostentation in high school football. I don't know how old Markeke is, but when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, personal ostentation in sports was frowned upon. It was a simpler, more humble time. Sometimes I think schools need to go back to those days.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Lol, just saying as old timers, these showy examples like HS fanatic talked about, was not looked upon during the 70's. Just humble opinions. Sheez. Good year Tua. Get better.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm Lol, just saying as old timers, these showy examples like HS fanatic talked about, was not looked upon during the 70's. Just humble opinions. Sheez. Good year Tua. Get better.
@Markeke: Oh, so you were in high school in the mid-'70s, too? Welcome, fellow child of the '70s!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:03 pm
Markeke wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm Lol, just saying as old timers, these showy examples like HS fanatic talked about, was not looked upon during the 70's. Just humble opinions. Sheez. Good year Tua. Get better.
@Markeke: Oh, so you were in high school in the mid-'70s, too? Welcome, fellow child of the '70s!
Actually late 60's...the old ILH.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Hope Tua can get better for OU. He will definitely be motivated after today. Kyler is a great player and very impressive 2 sport athlete

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:25 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:03 pm
Actually late 60's...the old ILH.
@Markeke: Whoa! Late '60s?! I give you credit for being on this site. Sometimes I feel too old to be on this site.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I've heard Waianae is accepting applications for the head varsity coach. This must mean that Walter Young is gone. What sucks for that program is Larry Ginoza and Harry Mitsui ain't walking through that door! I'd even take Leo Taaca at this point. Waianae is like the Hawaii high school version of Nebraska football.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 am I've heard Waianae is accepting applications for the head varsity coach. This must mean that Walter Young is gone. What sucks for that program is Larry Ginoza and Harry Mitsui ain't walking through that door! I'd even take Leo Taaca at this point. Waianae is like the Hawaii high school version of Nebraska football.
@gopunahou: Well, not any more. Today, St Louis is Hawaii's "high-school Nebraska." Waianae was Hawaii's high-school Nebraska back in the '70s. During most of that decade, they were kicking everyone's butts, including St Louis'. In fact, Waianae beat St Louis in the first Prep Bowl back in '73. The only school to consistently give them trouble back then was Kamehameha. In fact, Kamehameha won the Prep Bowl three straight years: '74, '75, and '76. In the '75 Prep Bowl, they beat Waianae. Today, Waianae isn't bad, but they're only a shadow of what they were in the '70s. Obviously, Waianae alumni would love to see those glory days return, but it's hard to say whether that's ever going to happen, what with schools like Mililani, Kahuku, and St Louis clogging-up the top. You might even say that your alma mater is making it hard for Waianae to return to its days of dominating Hawaii high-school football. After all, Waianae would have to get past all four schools.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Waianae will never get back. Depressed area,yes. Money school, no. At this point, outside schools have a shot at harvesting the west side best players. Kapolei,Campbell 10 miles away. Even Mililani got Rex Manu to play for them. Then of course, the private schools. Don't be surprise if Waianae falls to D1.