Nick Rolovich NOT a candidate for Utah State Job (edited)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Nick Rolovich candidate for Utah State Job?

Post by cabanalane »

We kicked Bob Wagner out after being (at the time) GOAT UH HC, and 2 years (?) remove from the Holiday Bowl - back then when a Bowl meant something..

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I like Rolo. If he can make more money for his family then I am okay with it. I hope he stays.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 pm We kicked Bob Wagner out after being (at the time) GOAT UH HC, and 2 years (?) remove from the Holiday Bowl - back then when a Bowl meant something..
Many fans don't realize that Mortimer raised the academic standards that resulted in the firing of Wagner.....he couldn't recruit the top players in Hawaii and it still affects us today.

1. We eliminated the English as a second language exception. If there was ever a valid exception this was it. This prevented many Pacific Islanders form getting a higher education. This also affected recruiting of Polys. Many outstanding local players could no longer meet admission requirements. Many exceptional players under Tomey and Wagner were admitted under this exception. This opened the door for the exodus of many local players. They didn't have a choice to play for the home state. They had to go to the mainland.

2. Algebra II is required for admission. This not only affected local recruiting. It also affected mainland recruiting. At other schools you can take two years of advanced math. You could take Algebra I and Geometry. Geometry is a lot easier then Algebra II. It isn't easy for a Jr and Sr in HS to get a wake up call and find out that they have to pass Algebra II, many are not prepared and can't pass it.Many of Hawaii's best athletes don't find out about it till it is too late, many HS coaches hide this fact to keep players elegible and many HS players coaches and families simply dismiss it because they have alternatives. Players can play at the Pac12, SEC, Boise, Fresno, San Diego St and pretty much every where else without taking Algebra II.

There was a period under JJ where 7 outstanding players committed to us from one HS. Not one made it to the campus. In other years we burned scholarships on commits that never made it to UH having to go the JC route because they couldn't meet the requirements and ended up committing to other D1 schools after getting their AA degree.

Posters used to ask why aren't we recruiting some of the best HS players. Well they didn't take Algebra II. When you see one of the best players in the State don't get an offer and end up going the JC route or goint to another school Algebra II in many cases is the culprit.

These factors handcuff Rolo and his staff.

I haven't used Algebra II since HS.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I knew about the Algebra 2 issue, but I didn’t know about the ESL thing.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am
cabanalane wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:19 pm We kicked Bob Wagner out after being (at the time) GOAT UH HC, and 2 years (?) remove from the Holiday Bowl - back then when a Bowl meant something..
Many fans don't realize that Mortimer raised the academic standards that resulted in the firing of Wagner.....he couldn't recruit the top players in Hawaii and it still affects us today.

1. We eliminated the English as a second language exception. If there was ever a valid exception this was it. This prevented many Pacific Islanders form getting a higher education. This also affected recruiting of Polys. Many outstanding local players could no longer meet admission requirements. Many exceptional players under Tomey and Wagner were admitted under this exception. This opened the door for the exodus of many local players. They didn't have a choice to play for the home state. They had to go to the mainland.

2. Algebra II is required for admission. This not only affected local recruiting. It also affected mainland recruiting. At other schools you can take two years of advanced math. You could take Algebra I and Geometry. Geometry is a lot easier then Algebra II. It isn't easy for a Jr and Sr in HS to get a wake up call and find out that they have to pass Algebra II, many are not prepared and can't pass it.Many of Hawaii's best athletes don't find out about it till it is too late, many HS coaches hide this fact to keep players elegible and many HS players coaches and families simply dismiss it because they have alternatives. Players can play at the Pac12, SEC, Boise, Fresno, San Diego St and pretty much every where else without taking Algebra II.

There was a period under JJ where 7 outstanding players committed to us from one HS. Not one made it to the campus. In other years we burned scholarships on commits that never made it to UH having to go the JC route because they couldn't meet the requirements and ended up committing to other D1 schools after getting their AA degree.

Posters used to ask why aren't we recruiting some of the best HS players. Well they didn't take Algebra II. When you see one of the best players in the State don't get an offer and end up going the JC route or goint to another school Algebra II in many cases is the culprit.

I know this is OT but this is incredible. What does Algebra II have to do with the success of an individual in college or life after? Also, a lot of large schools try to recruit Chinese students which includes Stanford and Wisconsin because there is a lot of money in doings so, so there goes ESL. Shouldn't SAT scores determine eligibility?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am

Was Moritmer the one that wanted to make UH the Harvard of the pacific or something like that?
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Was Moritmer the one that wanted to make UH the Harvard of the pacific or something like that?
I went to UH because of my low SAT scores. I later found out that 1% of Stanford's incoming Freshman had the same (range) SAT as I did. That translated to about 60-80 students IIRC. Maybe I could have apply to Stanford? This was a few decades ago.

I don't know all the details of Stanford's incoming Freshmans, but where they football/basketball players? Not taking away from some athletes that are good students.

My point is, there was that football players at Stanford had a different "standard." They were there to play football.

Not saying academics are not important, but this is football, and (nearly all the) kids are there to play football.

Perhaps UH should have a different standard for players?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

With that Algebra II standard, I never would have made it into UH way back when. I went as far as Algebra I and Geometry, and those were tough enough. I can't think of any uses for this level of math in my life since then.

Thanks for the info Duke. Puts a lot of perspective into what all of the UH coaches have to hurdle and factor into their recruiting.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

other schools do have different admission standards.

One big program states that they have a "hollistic admissions policy." You can take a guess as to what that means. Many schools have an exception for "special skills." Under that criteria art, drama, dancing, football, basketball and many other skills would qualify.

At one other school that I am aware of their admission requirements are less then the NCAA minimum requirements. An exceptional athlete can still gain admissions at that school and attend that school while not qualifying for a lot of other schools. They can't play their first year (use their redshirt) and if they get passing marks qualify to play the next year. Do you think they don't get a copy of the play book? If they can't pass their courses with all the help they are getting and working on their grades Full time what has the school lost? Does that student flunking out affect their academic rating? By the way this school is always in the top 25 and in many years in the top 10.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 am
TheDuke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 amI haven't used Algebra II since HS.
I can't think of any uses for this level of math in my life since then.
wow, my credit card said my costco bill was 33 bucks. I bought one rotisserie chicken and 4 pack lightbulb which was in the costco coupon book. I know the chicken always $5, I wonder how much I paid for each pack of light bulb, did I get ripped off?

Should I:
a) call costco and spend 15 minutes on hold
b) drive to costco, I need gas anyway
c) use Algebra II :D

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

ubercow wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:58 pm
My3Cats wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 am
TheDuke wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 amI haven't used Algebra II since HS.
I can't think of any uses for this level of math in my life since then.
wow, my credit card said my costco bill was 33 bucks. I bought one rotisserie chicken and 4 pack lightbulb which was in the costco coupon book. I know the chicken always $5, I wonder how much I paid for each pack of light bulb, did I get ripped off?

Should I:
d) none of the above. Merry xmas costco

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Tariffs aside, how does this relate to the price of tea in China? :lol:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

couz808 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:33 pm
ubercow wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:58 pm
My3Cats wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 amI can't think of any uses for this level of math in my life since then.

Should I:
d) none of the above. Merry xmas costco
ROFLOL Sadly I think Costco is coming to OKC.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I have a hard enough time with addition and subtraction. On my job today I made a long distance phone call but the guy I wanted to talk to was not going to be available until about 10:00 pm Central Time. I calculated back, and then called him at 4:00 pm Hawaii time and he said that he was still tied up for another hour and wouldn't get home for another two hours.

1) shall I blame myself for miscalculating a four hour time difference?
2) blame UH Manoa for not requiring incoming freshmen students in 1976 to have taken and passed Algebra II?
3) blame it on my own old age and/or stupidity?
4) go to Costco and drown my sorrows by buying a couple slices of pepperoni pizza from the food court? And fill up more cheap gas?
5) WTH is Algebra II, and why is it so important?
6) I sure do hope that Rolo stays and that Matlin is able to get him a decent raise and contract extension (getting back on track with this thread).
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I can understand the feel of what do we do with Algebra II? Nothing.

But I like to think it does "something" to you or for you personally. Like a feeling that "you can."

Algebra II was the highest in HS, and UH did requre me to take Statistics later on at College of Business. I would geek out on it. A few of us would talk about standard deviations all the way to the bus stop.

I remember none of that today (and never used it). But It was nice to know I was once "smart." It's a good feel to know "I can" (back then).