unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:12 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 pm
genks wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

I just heard about this. I am selfishly heart broken.

I wonder if they knew that they might’ve been eligible for this. I saw an article about it on Monday, saying they could be chosen. Today is wendsday that’s a pretty small window and doesn’t allow for any planning. I wonder if we could schedule a non league game with the would be opponent next season? Would’ve been great for Hawaii, I would’ve felt good about fielding this defensive group. :(
@genks: If you don't mind, I'd like to be selfish, too. Even though St Louis School is from Hawaii, I wouldn't see this as being good for Hawaii. It's good for St Louis School. (I hope not too many guys climb on my back for having said that.)
I disagree. Anytime a team from Hawaii has success on a national level it brings attention to the state. Attention means scouts, and that means hopefully scholarships
@genks: Well, OK, I guess it would bring those benefits. But, the only school I could support going to the GEICO Bowl is Kahuku. I guess what I like about Kahuku High is that it's a public school, and, they don't carry themselves with lots of swag. I find it very hard to resent Kahuku High in any way.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Sounds like they were gonna accommodate a traveling party of 75. Their roster alone already has 93 players. Of course there are seemingly other factors that are going into it as well

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St.Louis has declined to participate in the GEICO bowl format.....so that's that.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:25 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 pm

@genks: If you don't mind, I'd like to be selfish, too. Even though St Louis School is from Hawaii, I wouldn't see this as being good for Hawaii. It's good for St Louis School. (I hope not too many guys climb on my back for having said that.)
I disagree. Anytime a team from Hawaii has success on a national level it brings attention to the state. Attention means scouts, and that means hopefully scholarships
@genks: Well, OK, I guess it would bring those benefits. But, the only school I could support going to the GEICO Bowl is Kahuku. I guess what I like about Kahuku High is that it's a public school, and, they don't carry themselves with lots of swag. I find it very hard to resent Kahuku High in any way.
You clearly haven’t been to a kahuku game where you support the opposing team. In 2016 a bunch of them were walking around the side that was mostly STL fans. They were yelling “St Louis sucks”. My cousin played football for Rosevelt years ago. One of his teammates got hurt, a bunch of people from the kahuku’s crowd was yelling things like he’s too weak get him off the field, and if you can’t handle then don’t play. 2017 they came with the “ref you suck” chant. Not nice, although I can’t say that I disagree with them

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:36 pm

You clearly haven’t been to a kahuku game where you support the opposing team. In 2016 a bunch of them were walking around the side that was mostly STL fans. They were yelling “St Louis sucks”. My cousin played football for Rosevelt years ago. One of his teammates got hurt, a bunch of people from the kahuku’s crowd was yelling things like he’s too weak get him off the field, and if you can’t handle then don’t play. 2017 they came with the “ref you suck” chant. Not nice, although I can’t say that I disagree with them
@genks: Thanks for that update. Those students/alumni of Kahuku High should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, I don't care for St Louis School, but that doesn't mean students/alumni from any school should be walking in front of the St Louis fan section, yelling those things. People--even young people--should have more class and consideration than that. So, I stand corrected. Now, I withdraw my support for Kahuku High going to the GEICO Bowl. Students/alumni should be aware that their behavior affects what people think--and how they feel--about their school / alma mater.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:57 pm

@genks: Thanks for that update. Those students/alumni of Kahuku High should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, I don't care for St Louis School, but that doesn't mean students/alumni from any school should be walking in front of the St Louis fan section, yelling those things. People--even young people--should have more class and consideration than that. So, I stand corrected. Now, I withdraw my support for Kahuku High going to the GEICO Bowl. Students/alumni should be aware that their behavior affects what people think--and how they feel--about their school / alma mater.

Ah well, not nice but you can’t paint everyone with the same brush. I didn’t mean to make kahuku’s fans sound bad. I’m sure every crowd has those people.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:20 am

Ah well, not nice but you can’t paint everyone with the same brush. I didn’t mean to make kahuku’s fans sound bad. I’m sure every crowd has those people.

@genks: But see, that's the thing. That's why students and alumni of a school need to be on their best behavior, especially when they're wearing a shirt (or sweater, etc) that identifies a certain school. People will/might infer from the specific to the general. I'm sure everyone knows that not all students and alumni of any particular school behave badly, but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Most people think Iolani School has a good reputation, right? Well, I know someone who doesn't like them because of Iolani fan behavior at a soccer game. So, it's not just football; it could be any sport.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:54 pm
@genks: But see, that's the thing. That's why students and alumni of a school need to be on their best behavior, especially when they're wearing a shirt (or sweater, etc) that identifies a certain school. People will/might infer from the specific to the general. I'm sure everyone knows that not all students and alumni of any particular school behave badly, but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Most people think Iolani School has a good reputation, right? Well, I know someone who doesn't like them because of Iolani fan behavior at a soccer game. So, it's not just football; it could be any sport.
There are people that give Iolani a bad name (the elitists there) just like there are people that give my school a bad name.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:52 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:54 pm
There are people that give Iolani a bad name (the elitists there) just like there are people that give my school a bad name.
@gopunahou: Well, at the soccer game, one of my colleagues said that the Iolani fans were saying rude things to the other school's side (I'm not sure which school they were playing; I think it might have been St Louis, because his son went there. But, I don't think he played soccer.). So, in that case, it wasn't elitism, but what we might say is almost the opposite: Rudeness. As for your alma mater, well, it's true that a lot of guys detest them because of their perceived elitism. For me, what I don't like about Punahou School is the way they seem to win most of the championships in many/most sports; I'm talking league and state championships. I kind of resent that. I mean, that gets old real fast. I had another colleague, a Mililani alumnus. He felt the same way; he said he hates Punahou (School) because "they win too much." Those words in quotes were his exact words. He also used that word, "hate." He didn't accentuate it or say it in an angry or forceful way; he simply said it in a matter-of-fact fashion, like like any other word in the sentence.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I mourn the fact that so much has been lost in being civil to one another. When I was at Radford, I cheered when the Rams made a good play,and when they screwed up... Well ,it was like,OK ,sometimes you have to back up to make a running start. Nevah yelled at the other team sideline. What's the point? Football is a game.

Game over and we go back home to family.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:26 pm I mourn the fact that so much has been lost in being civil to one another. When I was at Radford, I cheered when the Rams made a good play,and when they screwed up... Well ,it was like,OK ,sometimes you have to back up to make a running start. Nevah yelled at the other team sideline. What's the point? Football is a game.

Game over and we go back home to family.
@unpaid: Well, I haven't heard anything bad about Radford High's fan behavior; guess that's a good sign for your alma mater. Until and unless we learn otherwise then, Radford High and its alumni fans have class. And speaking for myself, there's nothing I dislike about Radford High. There's nothing about that school annoys me.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Been to several Kahuku games over the years, and in most fans were respectable. If you watch Kahuku games, no extra chirping, muscle pumping or "chains". So yeah, every crowd has those people. Also Kahuku hasn't played Roosevelt for years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Been to several Kahuku games over the years, and in most fans were respectable. If you watch Kahuku games, no extra chirping, muscle pumping or "chains". So yeah, every crowd has those people. Also Kahuku hasn't played Roosevelt for years.

@Markeke: Yeah, what's up with those gold chains for INTs? Several schools are using them. Back when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, coaches didn't have to reward gold chains for INTs. Back then, just a pat on the back was enough. Well, I'm glad Kahuku High isn't using those gold chains. Also, Markeke, if I'm not mistaken, you're a Kahuku alumnus. It's not surprising when any school has student/alumni fans who are bad apples, that make the school look bad. Those rude Kahuku High fans that genks mentioned, it's very possible that every school has a few like those. I mean, who would imagine that Iolani School fans could be rude? Well, one of my colleagues witnessed that at a soccer game. I think most guys would agree that Iolani School has a pretty good reputation, yet those bad apples at that soccer game sullied the school's image, and left a bad taste in my colleague's mouth.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 pm

@Markeke: Yeah, what's up with those gold chains for INTs? Several schools are using them. Back when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, coaches didn't have to reward gold chains for INTs. Back then, just a pat on the back was enough. Well, I'm glad Kahuku High isn't using those gold chains. Also, Markeke, if I'm not mistaken, you're a Kahuku alumnus. It's not surprising when any school has student/alumni fans who are bad apples, that make the school look bad. Those rude Kahuku High fans that genks mentioned, it's very possible that every school has a few like those. I mean, who would imagine that Iolani School fans could be rude? Well, one of my colleagues witnessed that at a soccer game. I think most guys would agree that Iolani School has a pretty good reputation, yet those bad apples at that soccer game sullied the school's image, and left a bad taste in my colleague's mouth.
The turn over chains and stuff is just a bit of fun taken from college teams. It’s on our sidelines not on the field, so it’s for our players, not something against the other team. Miami’s turnover chain is famous. They’ve uodated it this season. Some people don’t like it or whatever, to each his own. It’s not for you anyway it’s just something fun for the kids. Like I said, it’s on our sideline, not on the field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:29 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 pm

The turn over chains and stuff is just a bit of fun taken from college teams. It’s on our sidelines not on the field, so it’s for our players, not something against the other team. Miami’s turnover chain is famous. They’ve uodated it this season. Some people don’t like it or whatever, to each his own. It’s not for you anyway it’s just something fun for the kids. Like I said, it’s on our sideline, not on the field.
@genks: Yeah, I think Punahou School is also using those chains. I don't know, maybe I'm real old-school, but I believe in internal motivation, not giving players external rewards. But, you're right: To each his own.