unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:44 pm Interesting, the Honolulu Advertiser votes Mililani over Punahou by 7 votes. Punahou crushed mililani @ mililani by 20 about 20 points.

I guess Punahou had more losses but 2 of them were to STL, who also handled mililani. That must give Punahou a much tougher schedule to play Kam and STL twice.

Also interesting that Campbell was right behind Kahuku. If it wasn’t for the league merger, Kahuku and Campbell would’ve tied, both best everyone in OIA except for mililani and they split 1 win a piece over each other. But kahuku had the early win over Punahou which clearly puts them above Campbell.

I want to give respect to Punahou, our league mates. They have what I consider the best offense in the state. Brady did a great job and the receivers are fantastic. Muasau stepped up and played hard and played well, next man up.

Not to discredit anyone, but it is a shame that with Punahou being either #2 or #3, didn’t get a crack at the tournament that supposedly was the 4 best teams fighting for the title.
@genks: Punahou has the best O in the state? What about your alma mater? And, with all due respect to gopunahou, I really didn't want Punahou to be in the state tourney. I didn't want them to have any chance of taking the title. I don't exactly love your alma mater, but I'd rather have them than Punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:31 pm
Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:22 pm So what's the review of what was supposed to be the greatest year in Hawaii high school sports?

There was a lot of great regular season matchups on Oahu especially in D1. Having six teams in D2 state tournament was good. For D1, I would have liked to see the two Oahu teams on opposite sides of the bracket but oh well. Unfortunately, most casuals/alumni only care about the Open Division and not nearly as fun with St Louis dominating everyone. We saw some good games with the interleague games, but idk. I wish it was more even all around. Of course Farrington, Waianae, and Kapolei had down years and could easily be good again any other season, but St Louis is just so damn good.
@Neighbor: OK, any idea how good Kahuku will be next year?
Looking into my crystal ball, I foresee you ditching the trojan T-shirt and once again raising the red raider flag.

I have zero clue who mililani’s next qb is.he could be a killer. They do lose a huge chunk of their team next season.

kahuku returns a large part of theirs. The jv team looked big and physical. I’m sure they will pull a bunch of those guys up.
@Neighbor: No, actually I'll keep the Mililani t-shirt, metaphorically speaking. If I have to choose between Mililani and Kahuku, I'll stay with Mililani. It's not that I don't like Kahuku High; it's just that I prefer Mililani High to them by a slight margin. It's hard to explain; feelings are complicated things. In any case, what I'm looking for is an OIA school that can beat St Louis School, or at least give them the hardest rub possible. I want an OIA school that can best cause St Louis School to crap bricks.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:34 pm
Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:22 pm So what's the review of what was supposed to be the greatest year in Hawaii high school sports?

There was a lot of great regular season matchups on Oahu especially in D1. Having six teams in D2 state tournament was good. For D1, I would have liked to see the two Oahu teams on opposite sides of the bracket but oh well. Unfortunately, most casuals/alumni only care about the Open Division and not nearly as fun with St Louis dominating everyone. We saw some good games with the interleague games, but idk. I wish it was more even all around. Of course Farrington, Waianae, and Kapolei had down years and could easily be good again any other season, but St Louis is just so damn good.
Kahuku has a good amount of returnees coming back (Saovao, Matagi, Howlett-Soliai, Zion Ah You, Fonoimoana Bros, Aveau and Kaniho. The COACHING is another story, but they should compete again. But than again the offseason should be exciting, you never know who transfers back to Kahuku and who Transfers out. It would be nice to see Sol Jay Maiava transfer back for his Senior Season.

Campbell is really young and should have a good core coming back with the Freshman QB Hipa, Lactoen, Adkins-Kupukaa, Tauai, Tafai and the Mokiao-Atimalala Bros.

Punahou looks good with Hugh Brady returning with Terrell, Eldredge, Dancil-Evans and Moeai anchoring the O-Line. On defense they have the Freshman Tafiti coming back along with Gilman. Heard they will be traveling down to California for the Honor Bowl.

Mililani, I don't really know too much besides Kady, Pilanca coming back on defense. Also, Hill on offense Kobe Muasau transferring is an interesting rumor.

Waipahu seems to making a lot of noise since winning it's D1 state championship, it will be interesting to see if they moved up to OPEN

with that being said. I don't see anyone beating St. Louis, They have so much coming back on Offense and Defense. They're back to there Power House days in the 90's. Cal Lee probably schedule some Mainland competition for there resume. Delaura, Wilson, Sykes and Nishigaya should be fun to watch. Jordan Botelho is probably the most exciting defensive player I've seen in a while. Botelho and Herbig is going to wreck havoc.

Can't wait for the offseason
@teamhawaii: I suspect Kahuku will have a new HC next season. After the kind of season Kahuku had, I'd be surprised if Carvalho is back. I mean, Kahuku High would kill HCs for less. I want a school that can be just as physical as St Louis School is. If St Louis has to win, I want the other school to make them pay as high a physical price as possible. I want a school that will put a hat on a hat and give as good as it gets. That school, to me, is Kahuku. Seems they're always big and physical.

I don't know about Campbell. They're a good team, but somehow I can't/don't picture them as being on the same level as Kahuku.

Punahou is obviously the ILH school that will give St Louis the hardest rub. They're pretty big and physical, too, and have quite a few good players returning. Trouble is, I don't want them to beat St Louis. I'd just as soon see St Louis beat them.

Mililani will be losing lots of players to graduation, right? Also, to me, Mililani isn't as big and physical as Kahuku. I mean, yes, they beat Kahuku this past season, but what about next season?

Waipahu? Even if they do move-up to Open, I don't see them being on the same level as Kahuku or St Louis. They might be competive with a school like, say, Campbell. But, I don't think they can touch Kahuku or St Louis.

I agree that St Louis is likely to win the State Open title again. I'm not looking forward to that at all, but if it has to happen, let's put a school up against them that will make them pay a heavy physical price. In my mind, that's Kahuku. I envision Kahuku High telling St Louis School, "You might beat us, but we're 'gonna make you pay!' " Like how that big Black guy with the mohawk on the old TV show, "A Team", said it.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:46 pm
genks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:44 pm Interesting, the Honolulu Advertiser votes Mililani over Punahou by 7 votes. Punahou crushed mililani @ mililani by 20 about 20 points.

I guess Punahou had more losses but 2 of them were to STL, who also handled mililani. That must give Punahou a much tougher schedule to play Kam and STL twice.

Also interesting that Campbell was right behind Kahuku. If it wasn’t for the league merger, Kahuku and Campbell would’ve tied, both best everyone in OIA except for mililani and they split 1 win a piece over each other. But kahuku had the early win over Punahou which clearly puts them above Campbell.

I want to give respect to Punahou, our league mates. They have what I consider the best offense in the state. Brady did a great job and the receivers are fantastic. Muasau stepped up and played hard and played well, next man up.

Not to discredit anyone, but it is a shame that with Punahou being either #2 or #3, didn’t get a crack at the tournament that supposedly was the 4 best teams fighting for the title.
@genks: Punahou has the best O in the state? What about your alma mater? And, with all due respect to gopunahou, I really didn't want Punahou to be in the state tourney. I didn't want them to have any chance of taking the title. I don't exactly love your alma mater, but I'd rather have them than Punahou.
Yes I put Punahou’s offense above St Louis. The run game has been really great for us. Our passing game has definitely taken a step back. Delaura had a great season and I’m sure will improve over the offseason.
We have some young receivers coming up to go along with the returning ones so Delaura will not be short on weapons.

Punahou’s passing game is just smooth. It’s impressive to watch honestly. We were lucky to have a great group of DBs, along with a great pass rush. Hopefully next season The Crusader offense wil be even more dangerous.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Kahuku has a good amount of returnees coming back (Saovao, Matagi, Howlett-Soliai, Zion Ah You, Fonoimoana Bros, Aveau and Kaniho. The COACHING is another story, but they should compete again. But than again the offseason should be exciting, you never know who transfers back to Kahuku and who Transfers out. It would be nice to see Sol Jay Maiava transfer back for his Senior Season.

Campbell is really young and should have a good core coming back with the Freshman QB Hipa, Lactoen, Adkins-Kupukaa, Tauai, Tafai and the Mokiao-Atimalala Bros.

Punahou looks good with Hugh Brady returning with Terrell, Eldredge, Dancil-Evans and Moeai anchoring the O-Line. On defense they have the Freshman Tafiti coming back along with Gilman. Heard they will be traveling down to California for the Honor Bowl.

Mililani, I don't really know too much besides Kady, Pilanca coming back on defense. Also, Hill on offense Kobe Muasau transferring is an interesting rumor.

Waipahu seems to making a lot of noise since winning it's D1 state championship, it will be interesting to see if they moved up to OPEN

with that being said. I don't see anyone beating St. Louis, They have so much coming back on Offense and Defense. They're back to there Power House days in the 90's. Cal Lee probably schedule some Mainland competition for there resume. Delaura, Wilson, Sykes and Nishigaya should be fun to watch. Jordan Botelho is probably the most exciting defensive player I've seen in a while. Botelho and Herbig is going to wreck havoc.

@teamhawaii: I suspect Kahuku will have a new HC next season. After the kind of season Kahuku had, I'd be surprised if Carvalho is back. I mean, Kahuku High would kill HCs for less. I want a school that can be just as physical as St Louis School is. If St Louis has to win, I want the other school to make them pay as high a physical price as possible. I want a school that will put a hat on a hat and give as good as it gets. That school, to me, is Kahuku. Seems they're always big and physical.

I don't know about Campbell. They're a good team, but somehow I can't/don't picture them as being on the same level as Kahuku.

Punahou is obviously the ILH school that will give St Louis the hardest rub. They're pretty big and physical, too, and have quite a few good players returning. Trouble is, I don't want them to beat St Louis. I'd just as soon see St Louis beat them.

Mililani will be losing lots of players to graduation, right? Also, to me, Mililani isn't as big and physical as Kahuku. I mean, yes, they beat Kahuku this past season, but what about next season?

Waipahu? Even if they do move-up to Open, I don't see them being on the same level as Kahuku or St Louis. They might be competive with a school like, say, Campbell. But, I don't think they can touch Kahuku or St Louis.

I agree that St Louis is likely to win the State Open title again. I'm not looking forward to that at all, but if it has to happen, let's put a school up against them that will make them pay a heavy physical price. In my mind, that's Kahuku. I envision Kahuku High telling St Louis School, "You might beat us, but we're 'gonna make you pay!' " Like how that big Black guy with the mohawk on the old TV show, "A Team", said it.
The ol’ can’t beat em so try to hurt em philosophy huh. Well you’ll be happy to know that a couple teams tried that this season.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

What a season!! I was totally wrong, but i should've known better. I thought St. louis wouldn't be as good as they were last season.....but they were better! Punahou and Kahuku were my pre season picks to be in the championship game. Now, the off season transfer rumors will begin. LOL Campbell will be loaded next year, hopefully the kahuku transfers will stay... but i heard they'll be transferring back to kahuku in January. Punahou returns a lot, so does st. louis and kam. Mililani will lose a lot of srs. but they'll find a way to get the squad back to the top again. Rumor has it that St. Louis was invited to play in the GEICO State Champions Bowl in Arizona on Dec. 22nd....Anyone know if and who they'll be playing?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:39 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Yes I put Punahou’s offense above St Louis. The run game has been really great for us. Our passing game has definitely taken a step back. Delaura had a great season and I’m sure will improve over the offseason.
We have some young receivers coming up to go along with the returning ones so Delaura will not be short on weapons.

Punahou’s passing game is just smooth. It’s impressive to watch honestly. We were lucky to have a great group of DBs, along with a great pass rush. Hopefully next season The Crusader offense wil be even more dangerous.
@genks: Well, if you say so. I'm usually not one to heap praise on your alma mater, but I'd always thought the combination of QB De Laura, their receivers (especially the super-fast one), and their two RBs (Sam and the other guy) were at the top.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:16 pm

The ol’ can’t beat em so try to hurt em philosophy huh. Well you’ll be happy to know that a couple teams tried that this season.
@genks: Oh, really? Which two teams?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:49 pm What a season!! I was totally wrong, but i should've known better. I thought St. louis wouldn't be as good as they were last season.....but they were better! Punahou and Kahuku were my pre season picks to be in the championship game. Now, the off season transfer rumors will begin. LOL Campbell will be loaded next year, hopefully the kahuku transfers will stay... but i heard they'll be transferring back to kahuku in January. Punahou returns a lot, so does st. louis and kam. Mililani will lose a lot of srs. but they'll find a way to get the squad back to the top again. Rumor has it that St. Louis was invited to play in the GEICO State Champions Bowl in Arizona on Dec. 22nd....Anyone know if and who they'll be playing?
@Dog 96707: Kind of makes you wonder why those Kahuku players transferred to Campbell. Like, how did that work out? Kahuku finished ahead of Campbell. Anyway, I do prefer Kahuku High to Campbell High, so I hope those transfers return to Kahuku. Kamehameha returns a lot? Are you sure? Who? They return that soph QB, but he wasn't really great shakes. And yeah, I heard about St Louis being invited to the GEICO Bowl, but don't know much more. Might want to ask genks; he's a St Louis alum who follows his alma mater's football team closely.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Saint Louis declines invite to national bowl game
http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... bowl-game/

“Although it would be an honor to be involved, coaches Cal and Ron Lee, co-athletic directors Ryan Blangiardi and Gerald Welch spent the last few days considering if this trip would be in the best interest of our students...this particular game takes place during finals week. For this reason, students attending would have to miss their final exams. Additionally, not all players would be able to make the trip....Moreover, several families have already made plans to travel or make visits to colleges or simply take family vacations during this time. Furthermore, this game does not represent a playoff game, where a national champion is crowned. It is simply an exhibition game against a nationally ranked opponent, similar to those of which we play each year at the beginning of the season...Finally, participating in this game would mean that athletes already committed to other sports would have to abandon those teams during the month of December.”

“The timing was not right,” Cal Lee said about the decision to not take the trip. “It’s finals week at the same time. Players have family vacations. Players are playing other sports, such as basketball and wrestling and those sports have already started. It would have been a great opportunity. I wish I could have made it work for the kids’ sake.”

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Neighbor wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:41 pm Saint Louis declines invite to national bowl game

“Although it would be an honor to be involved, coaches Cal and Ron Lee, co-athletic directors Ryan Blangiardi and Gerald Welch spent the last few days considering if this trip would be in the best interest of our students...this particular game takes place during finals week. For this reason, students attending would have to miss their final exams. Additionally, not all players would be able to make the trip....Moreover, several families have already made plans to travel or make visits to colleges or simply take family vacations during this time. Furthermore, this game does not represent a playoff game, where a national champion is crowned. It is simply an exhibition game against a nationally ranked opponent, similar to those of which we play each year at the beginning of the season...Finally, participating in this game would mean that athletes already committed to other sports would have to abandon those teams during the month of December.”

“The timing was not right,” Cal Lee said about the decision to not take the trip. “It’s finals week at the same time. Players have family vacations. Players are playing other sports, such as basketball and wrestling and those sports have already started. It would have been a great opportunity. I wish I could have made it work for the kids’ sake.”
Noooooooooo St Louis what is u doin???!?! Could it be arranged to have them take their finals earlier? It is St Louis after all and not just a school that has had football success every once in a while. Well it sucks either way. We needed this.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Neighbor wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:49 pm
Neighbor wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:41 pm Saint Louis declines invite to national bowl game

Noooooooooo St Louis what is u doin???!?! Could it be arranged to have them take their finals earlier? It is St Louis after all and not just a school that has had football success every once in a while. Well it sucks either way. We needed this.
I just heard about this. I am selfishly heart broken.

I wonder if they knew that they might’ve been eligible for this. I saw an article about it on Monday, saying they could be chosen. Today is wendsday that’s a pretty small window and doesn’t allow for any planning. I wonder if we could schedule a non league game with the would be opponent next season? Would’ve been great for Hawaii, I would’ve felt good about fielding this defensive group. :(

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Neighbor: To be perfectly honest with you, I'm glad they're not going.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

I wonder if they knew that they might’ve been eligible for this. I saw an article about it on Monday, saying they could be chosen. Today is wendsday that’s a pretty small window and doesn’t allow for any planning. I wonder if we could schedule a non league game with the would be opponent next season? Would’ve been great for Hawaii, I would’ve felt good about fielding this defensive group. :(
@genks: If you don't mind, I'd like to be selfish, too. Even though St Louis School is from Hawaii, I wouldn't see this as being good for Hawaii. It's good for St Louis School. (I hope not too many guys climb on my back for having said that.)

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 pm
genks wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

@genks: If you don't mind, I'd like to be selfish, too. Even though St Louis School is from Hawaii, I wouldn't see this as being good for Hawaii. It's good for St Louis School. (I hope not too many guys climb on my back for having said that.)
I disagree. Anytime a team from Hawaii has success on a national level it brings attention to the state. Attention means scouts, and that means hopefully scholarships