Just my thought

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Just my thought

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

If you're a hardcore fan such as myself, you start thinking of all kinds of thoughts to why the season has ended up the way it has.. For me, ever since that Army game where we decided to go for it on 4th instead of kicking the field goal to go up 10-0 against a really good team. That's when everything started to change for me.. They took over, drove all the way down and scored.. Ever since then we just weren't the same.. But still.. Go Warriors for Life!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Just my thought

Post by My3Cats »

Lost confidence. Lack of focus. Stronger opponents. Ouch. Ouch. And more ouch.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

UHALLDAWAY808 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 am If you're a hardcore fan such as myself, you start thinking of all kinds of thoughts to why the season has ended up the way it has.. For me, ever since that Army game where we decided to go for it on 4th instead of kicking the field goal to go up 10-0 against a really good team. That's when everything started to change for me.. They took over, drove all the way down and scored.. Ever since then we just weren't the same.. But still.. Go Warriors for Life!
I feel the same.
Should have kicked FGs in 1st Qtr drives against Nevada & Utah St, as well. Drive all the way down and come up with zero, only to have the opponents take momenum away from us and then score.

Against Utah St could we could have went up 3-0, the at the worst be down 21-6 instead of 21-0. Can't be gambling so much when you have a young and inexperienced team vs teams with winning records.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

It was fun while it lasted, being the talk of the nation.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I think the loss to Nevada was the toughest to me. Three onside kicks that failed and multiple 4th down situations when punting would have been optimal early in the game. If we had played it "straight" and done what other major colleges do, I would have felt much better about the loss. There are times to go on 4th down and times to onside kick. We don't do these at the right times in the game. I still don't know why we didn't onside kick with 1 minute 30 seconds to go against Fresno State even though they were up 50-20. Even if we didn't score or got a field goal, that was the time to onside kick even if we weren't going to win. A game and a season is all about momentum if not about respectability for next year.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

It's good that this team is young and a lot of players are getting some significant playing time. This can only help them get better for next year. The schedule on the other hand will be tough with those 3 Pac-12 teams.

We'll see if the coaches can come up big during this bye week and figure out their problems. If we can somehow pull off W's the last two games for me that will cancel out the 4 losses in a row. Ok maybe not but it will definitely put a smile back on my face.

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

Agreed.. We had some really good drives that stalled with zero points and killed all momentum.. Any score is motivation, and a chance to kickoff and perhaps cause a fumble on the return.. But yes.. Glad this is a young team.. Gotta go thru the crap first I guess. Still on a positive didn't expect a chance at the Hawaii Bowl for this season.. Still get hope

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Cole McDonald room with Cedric Byrd. Rolo wanted to build that bond between QB and WR.

Perhaps McDonald should room with Ursua instead. That is a productive pair that need to get back into sync.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 am Cole McDonald room with Cedric Byrd. Rolo wanted to build that bond between QB and WR.

Perhaps McDonald should room with Ursua instead. That is a productive pair that need to get back into sync.
There are a lot of monster houses in town that can fit a lot of players.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Move the players off campus. One monster house for the O-Line. One monster house for the D-L. One monster house for QB-RB-WR. Can the DB and LB share the same house?

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

The turning point of the season imo was Cole's random injury vs Wyoming. Chevan came in and did well but since that injury Cole has been off and it seems his throws are inaccurate and it seems like he lost his swagger. The WRs seems like they haven't paid attention to the playbook in the past three weeks, not turning for passes or even running wrong routes. Defense has been absolute swiss cheese and Kaimana Padello lost his swagger as well.

I feel that Wyoming win that was eeked out by Chevan and the Defense since then it's been all down hill.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Or we can say, in the beginning, the other team was looking at old film of JJ's R& S. And that turned out to be different and their defense was not prepared at all. There was no film on many of UH's players such as McDonald. Then they figured it out. They prepared and know how Cole McDonald is going to think, how Ursua will run, etc. Padello came out of "no where" to be the Defensive stud, and now they got a solution to take care of him. Everything UH is doing, they got it on film and a plan to stop UH. And analytics on Rolo's 4th down gambles.

I was looking at the exact play where Tavai got hurt and out for the season. It wasn't even a physical "hit". He just sort of fell on it. They made me thing he was already playing seriously hurt, and really shouldn't be playing.

I wonder...if the skid of UH started with that, meaning J. Tavai being hurt. There is no doubt he had to take it a bit "gingerly" on his tackles. Turn down the Beast Mode. Perhaps that was the key.

When you look at the last game for example, 300+ yards on offense, normally can win a football game (despite how it looks). It's the defense that caused the landslide. And the guy in the middle is hurt and now out.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Game planning, play calling, game management and coaching inexperience is a problem.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

They replayed the Wyoming/SJSU game on tv and Wyoming has improved. I'm glad that our freshman quarterback beat a really tough defensive team. I think even if we played today, Wyoming, SJSU, CSU and Hawaii would play an competitive even game. Fresno State and USU both look like they belong in the Pac-12 this year. I'd like to see them play Colorado, Cal and Oregon State. Hoping Hawaii will fill the gaps necessary to play the three Pac-12 teams even next year.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Was fun in the beginning then it got real. We still have a chance at a bowl. If we get the win I would say it was a successful season. We have a young team with little to no experience prior to this season. This has been a rebuilding year.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: