Post Nevada Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Nevada Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

This loss I have to put it on Rolo and the Coaches. Giving Nevada a short field from some unorthodox calls i.e.; On side kicks, going for it on 4th down from beyond the opponents 40 yard line. Most of us would agree if you at the opponents 39 yard line and its 4th down and 1 then go for it. But to put the defense to defend from the 50 yard line multiple times early in games due to unorthodox calls is asking a lot.

This killed momentum, Listen, Hawaii fans love gambling, but we also love playing better analytics/odds to win some moolah. And this young team look to the coaches for guidance, wisdom and strategy. Got to play it smart and punt and kick off and give your defense a chance and make these run heavy teams like Nevada, Fresno, Utah State, UNLV and San Diego State a long field to drive.

We understand the Coach Rolo likes to "Roll it" River Boat Gambler Style. But using some razzle-dazzle trick plays will motivate the young Warriors by mixing it up from the mundane grind on the base offense. A few trick plays on offense would be better than going for it on 4th down outside the opponents 40 yard line or unnecessary on side kicks. When comfortably in field goal range and it's 4th down take the points early in games. Coming away with nothing kills the momentum and the opponents seem to gain momentum and drive the field for points.

Coaches of you plan on taking advantage of the Red Shirt Rule and rotate in some players that don't get a lot of playing time. Don't put this young men behind the 8-ball, less feel from the gut gambling more strategy. Fresno, Utah State, UNLV and San Diego State will eat this team for lunch with short field and momentum killing play calls.

Was there dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles in the back field, bad calls from the refs, errand throws, miscommunication between the QB and WR, turnovers. Yes! And no matter how much you prepare some of this stuff happens every game. Can't control the Refs making bad calls and can't prepare for everything unless you know or the opponents hand give you their game plan. And add rotating in Red Shirt Rule inexperience players with gambling play calls that kill momentum and give the opponent a short field. This is a recipe for putting the team behind the 8-ball.

This team looks tight and doesn't look like they are playing swag/loose and having fun making plays. Reminds me of Norm Chow Era tight teams that lacked swag. This is on all the coaches to fix and adjust.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Go Warriors of Hawaii!

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Re: Post Nevada Game Thoughts?

Post by daddy »

My thoughts are that all of a sudden what seemed to be an automatic Hawaii Bowl bid is now probably going to come down to a must win vs UNLV

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I agree with most your thoughts Warrior time. It almost feels like Rolo either: 1) Had bets on UNR to win, 2) Wanted Reno fans to not forget him, 3) Wanted to play a game and not include the players, 4) Tired of coaching at UH, 5) Not mature enough to be a head coach. I don't think it will be a big national attention draw if Hawaii gets into the Hawaii Bowl.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:09 am This loss I have to put it on Rolo and the Coaches. Giving Nevada a short field from some unorthodox calls i.e.; On side kicks, going for it on 4th down from beyond the opponents 40 yard line. Most of us would agree if you at the opponents 39 yard line and its 4th down and 1 then go for it. But to put the defense to defend from the 50 yard line multiple times early in games due to unorthodox calls is asking a lot.

This killed momentum, Listen, Hawaii fans love gambling, but we also love playing better analytics/odds to win some moolah. And this young team look to the coaches for guidance, wisdom and strategy. Got to play it smart and punt and kick off and give your defense a chance and make these run heavy teams like Nevada, Fresno, Utah State, UNLV and San Diego State a long field to drive.

We understand the Coach Rolo likes to "Roll it" River Boat Gambler Style. But using some razzle-dazzle trick plays will motivate the young Warriors by mixing it up from the mundane grind on the base offense. A few trick plays on offense would be better than going for it on 4th down outside the opponents 40 yard line or unnecessary on side kicks. When comfortably in field goal range and it's 4th down take the points early in games. Coming away with nothing kills the momentum and the opponents seem to gain momentum and drive the field for points.

Coaches of you plan on taking advantage of the Red Shirt Rule and rotate in some players that don't get a lot of playing time. Don't put this young men behind the 8-ball, less feel from the gut gambling more strategy. Fresno, Utah State, UNLV and San Diego State will eat this team for lunch with short field and momentum killing play calls.

Was there dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles in the back field, bad calls from the refs, errand throws, miscommunication between the QB and WR, turnovers. Yes! And no matter how much you prepare some of this stuff happens every game. Can't control the Refs making bad calls and can't prepare for everything unless you know or the opponents hand give you their game plan. And add rotating in Red Shirt Rule inexperience players with gambling play calls that kill momentum and give the opponent a short field. This is a recipe for putting the team behind the 8-ball.

This team looks tight and doesn't look like they are playing swag/loose and having fun making plays. Reminds me of Norm Chow Era tight teams that lacked swag. This is on all the coaches to fix and adjust.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Go Warriors of Hawaii!
Agree on all points.
ImageImage

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I appreciate all your input, but sometimes the coaches need to hear the obvious from outside observers. The failure of many leaders is to only listen to their inner circle of yes-men, ignore other perspectives to get the total picture and self evaluation. Its easy to pile in on and blame the players but we as fans know the all the coaches have the capability to figure this out. However, if we say nothing how are the coaches going to know they need to take some time to look in the mirror and figure this out?

Raudi
Starter
Starter

Post by Raudi »

Anyone want to chip in for the moving truck

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

It wouldn't have been a bad game had UH lost because of playing a "normal" football game by the rule and the Nevada running game and defense stifled UH. But a game is a swing of momentums and the first half of the game put Hawaii in a losing situation. At this point I don't have a big desire to go see them play in Fresno and I think some of the players are probably feeling the same way. This may be the impetus for Chevan to start looking around for other teams to play for. If I were a four or five star recruit, I definitely wouldn't be considering UH.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

at the beginning of the season i thought this year would be the last rebuilding year afforded rolo.

with a 6-3 season it looks like next year will be better.

one more win and i can use my hawaii bowl tickets.

nevada game was entertaining. not fulfilling, but entertaining. disappointing, but still fun. nothing better on saturday nights in hawaii.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Kinda expected games like these as the season went on. Opponents have film on the RNS and have a better idea on how to defend it. That’s partly why Hawaii’s offense hasn’t performed to the level it did early in the season. And defensively, the depth and talent is just not there.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Very disappointed. Very frustrating to watch. Boneheaded playing and boneheaded coaching decisions.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

st808 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:59 am at the beginning of the season i thought this year would be the last rebuilding year afforded rolo.

with a 6-3 season it looks like next year will be better.

one more win and i can use my hawaii bowl tickets.

nevada game was entertaining. not fulfilling, but entertaining. disappointing, but still fun. nothing better on saturday nights in hawaii.
With all of the young players I think that the next year should be the payoff year but then I look at the schedule. They will have to make a huge improvement to what they are doing right now. It doesn’t get easier.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Our oline is struggling. Our young players are finding it harder to block the more talented players they are seeing in the second half of the season. Our opponents defensive schemes has taken our offense out of rhythm. Our coaches have yet to correct it. Rolo likes to gamble but is losing his pants right now. Nevada pretty much did what I thought they would do and still got it done. I am starting to think that we don’t have the talent that we need at certain positions. DC plays our dbs deep because they keep getting beat by the deep ball. We also struggle to make the tackles so the throws underneath go for long gains. I think defense is playing more bend but don’t break but you still need to make the tackle. Some players can. Some no can. We have no edge defense which is why we get beat so much to the outside. It is funny how we try to throw those screen passes to our wide receivers that end up losing yards but when they do it they get good yardage out of it. Maybe it has to do with our blocking. I hoped that I would never see Ursua get called for a pick play but it happened again. Are we getting better? Nope. Still we just might get the 7th win. But it may come down to beating SDSU.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

We suck right now. Rolo and Offense got to stop being other people’s beaatches.

Don’t compete. Dominate!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

WarriorTyme, I've questioned many of Rolo's decision making since he took the reign. Thus why I started the "Kicking FG vs Going for 4th & Goal" thread. Going toward the Gun Slinger / High Risk Gambler approach too often not only kills momentum but put your defense in terrible field position

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 am I appreciate all your input, but sometimes the coaches need to hear the obvious from outside observers. The failure of many leaders is to only listen to their inner circle of yes-men, ignore other perspectives to get the total picture and self evaluation. Its easy to pile in on and blame the players but we as fans know the all the coaches have the capability to figure this out. However, if we say nothing how are the coaches going to know they need to take some time to look in the mirror and figure this out?
Pretty much saved me from typing my thoughts