Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

*** Official Hawaii @ BYU, Game 8 Thread ***

Post by BigWave96744 »

Rolo 2.0 vs Sitake 2.0
2 coaches with similar HC journeys:
- 1st time HC at their Alma Mater
- 1st year they won their Bowl Game
- 2nd year both suffered the Sophomore Slumps  (Rolo 3-9, Sitake 4-9)
- offseason made needed coaching changes
- In year 3 BYU had a tremendous start with wins at Arizona & Wisconsin and a close loss to CAL at home. At 6-1, Hawaii is off to their best start since 2007.

BigWave96744

Re: *** Official Hawaii @ BYU, Game 8 Thread ***

Post by BigWave96744 »

Tales and Journeys of 2 Slot backs
== BYU #3, Dylan Collie 5'10"
2018: 8 catches, 68 yards, 1 TD
Redshirted his first year at BYU, went on his LDS mission, played 3 years at Hawaii and is now finishing his career back at BYU.

== Hawaii #5, John Ursua 5'10"
2018: 55 catches, 801 yards, 12 TDs
1 carry, 1 yard, 1 TD
Born and raised in Kailua-Kona. Moved to Utah after leading Kealakehe HS to a Big Island Champinship in his Freshman year. Considered BYU, especially with his family being close with BYU HC Kalani Sitake. Went on his LDS mission, redshirted in 2015, and now in his 3rd year.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

As long as Collie doesn't have a good game, I'll be happy

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

BYU has a balanced passing/running attack. They always seem to run Collie once a game from the slot/receiver position with an end around. Their defense though is the thing that has kept them in games. They have a 50,000 home attendance so those Mormons must like their football or maybe they claim it as part of their tithe.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Since we are talking about Collie and Ursua, let's be fair, they are both good guys. I think Collie actually missed out on the R&S, if football is truly is his passion. I''m sure it is, but I thik Collie got other plans..meaning I would not worry about him "life after football."

What I want to say/ask, is that do you think these players (and others) who return from thier missionary duties, do better? They are older, more mature, and their bodies are developed and at their prime.

In some cases, an 18 year old can't go up against someone that's 26 years old. I'm going to say that Ursua and Collie are good, reached their current level, because they are older players.

Should UH target more of these guys returning from their obligations?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I think that Ursua is far better than Collie. I saw Collie drop balls like he had iron hands whereas Ursua makes the catch but is often hit at the same time the ball gets to him. Coverage on him is really good. Also, Ursua is aware of the sidelines whereas Collie often caught the ball with his foot on the line. Ursua also is a deep threat, whereas Collie is good on the short passes and YAC. Last year after Ursua went down the offense had no go to receiver and virtually no offense. One thing that Collie can do that Ursua can't do is a back flip. Ursua is also a lot better interview, not because of his tonal quality but because of what he says.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

game week interviews

Link

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

BYU is big on D. Defensive ends are 6’7 plus.
But, the Cougars were big when Chad Owens and Co. beat um. And, we have Padello!!!
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Not all former missionaries pan out. Some do, some don't. Just like everything else in life. The only real thing that a former missionary has over a true freshman is more maturity and life experience. Does not always translate out to being a better football player.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 pm I think that Ursua is far better than Collie. I saw Collie drop balls like he had iron hands whereas Ursua makes the catch but is often hit at the same time the ball gets to him. Coverage on him is really good. Also, Ursua is aware of the sidelines whereas Collie often caught the ball with his foot on the line. Ursua also is a deep threat, whereas Collie is good on the short passes and YAC. Last year after Ursua went down the offense had no go to receiver and virtually no offense. One thing that Collie can do that Ursua can't do is a back flip. Ursua is also a lot better interview, not because of his tonal quality but because of what he says.
Collie is good, but I believe Byrd, Ursua AND Ward is better than Collie. Faster and better hands. lol
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 pm
shrek2 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 pm I think that Ursua is far better than Collie. I saw Collie drop balls like he had iron hands whereas Ursua makes the catch but is often hit at the same time the ball gets to him. Coverage on him is really good. Also, Ursua is aware of the sidelines whereas Collie often caught the ball with his foot on the line. Ursua also is a deep threat, whereas Collie is good on the short passes and YAC. Last year after Ursua went down the offense had no go to receiver and virtually no offense. One thing that Collie can do that Ursua can't do is a back flip. Ursua is also a lot better interview, not because of his tonal quality but because of what he says.
Collie is good, but I believe Byrd, Ursua AND Ward is better than Collie. Faster and better hands. lol
I agree. Somebody made a Ursua/Collie comparison and I just don't think they belong together in the same conversation. I like Collie the man but don't really care for the football player.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:55 pm Not all former missionaries pan out. Some do, some don't. Just like everything else in life. The only real thing that a former missionary has over a true freshman is more maturity and life experience. Does not always translate out to being a better football player.
I remember being so excited for Orlando Wong to complete his mission and join the team, but when he came back he was a completely different body type from his days at Kahuku and he never made much of an impact on the field.

415hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

My friend just suggested that Rolo should drop a fake script of plays for BYU to find. All running plays ; p

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Use Chow's playbook. And wait for BYU to say...what...we already have this in the archives.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

poidog wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 pm
My3Cats wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:55 pm Not all former missionaries pan out. Some do, some don't. Just like everything else in life. The only real thing that a former missionary has over a true freshman is more maturity and life experience. Does not always translate out to being a better football player.
I remember being so excited for Orlando Wong to complete his mission and join the team, but when he came back he was a completely different body type from his days at Kahuku and he never made much of an impact on the field.
Two years of minimal physical activity is pretty hard to overcome.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.