Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Post Army Game Thoughts?

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:10 pm Was Salas fast? I thought he was a good possession receiver. He caught everything thrown to him. I liked Ashley Lelie with the speed and height combination.
If I remember correctly, Salas ran a 4.52 40 at the combine.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My first reaction was Colt's best receivers such as Davone Bess and Ryan Grice-Mullen. Then I realized they were not all that tall.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

When have they ever interviewed offensive linemen after the game. Time to give some of these guys the mike and let them know we appreciate their play.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm I thought the Coaching staff got a little too cute with their personnel. Starting Stubblefield over JoJo Ward, and Playing Furuta way more than Holly. Start the players that got you there (3-0). I heard the coaches started Stubblefield because of his size over Ward. I would have gone with speed against Army. No way Army could have covered 3 really fast Slots, wide outs and RB. This was a D dropping 8 in coverage, you need your best runner to run/catch out of the backfield, IMO. Furuta's a nice power back, but not the runner that Holly or even Reed is. Play your best players, not one because he's 6' 2" and 200lbs, that's just ridiculous. I can see a 6'2" WR coming in for spot duty for a jump ball, but if Ward is a better WR, play him!
Ward is more of a slot playing wide receiver. I think it was a good idea to put in taller receivers against Army because their corners had struggled against taller receivers. Kinda like ours. We just didn’t execute as we have in earlier games. Army dbs use their hands a lot to slow down our receivers. We need our receivers to become more physical and fight to get to where they are going.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 pm
shrek2 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:10 pm Was Salas fast? I thought he was a good possession receiver. He caught everything thrown to him. I liked Ashley Lelie with the speed and height combination.
If I remember correctly, Salas ran a 4.52 40 at the combine.
Salas is one of the best receivers I have seen at UH. He had the best pair of hands I have ever seen. He was also strong and got the tough yards.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

While I liked guys like Bess, GM, and Pilares ... the best was watching Salas and Jason Rivers block, or run through, defenders.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Grinch wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm While I liked guys like Bess, GM, and Pilares ... the best was watching Salas and Jason Rivers block, or run through, defenders.
Yes, and I would add one more who blocked and ran hard, Chad Owens.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I guess I have one final thought on the Army game and that is, Army seemed to know what play was going to be run. It seemed like there was something that tipped them off after the first series of the game. What I would like to have seen is a change of quarterbacks in the second half, not because Cole wasn't doing his job but it would have given the defense something new to look at.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

One last issue more with the Army crowd was a section of the crowd was doing the tomahawk chop that they do in Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles, etc game. This was shown when CBS was scanning the crowd. First of all, I don't like the tomahawk chop because some Native Americans find it offensive and second what does the tomahawk chop have anything to do with Army?