HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: *** Official Hawaii vs Army, Game 4 Thread ***

Post by HawaiianHogster »

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... local-2018

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Hawaii being forced to play Army at 6 a.m. Hawaii time is football hell
It’s the most miserable match of game time and opponent imaginable, though Hawaii has done it before.
By Alex Kirshner@alex_kirshner Updated Sep 11, 2018, 1:26pm EDT

Hawaii is six hours behind the East Coast, as many hours as the East Coast is behind Paris. Yet Hawaii’s football team is not taking a bye week before or after its lone 2018 trip to that part of the United States, in Week 3 at Army.

In fact, not only are the Rainbow Warriors not getting an extended break before or after that trip — they’ll play seven days later in Honolulu — they’re starting the Army game this Saturday at 6 a.m. their time, which is noon ET and local time at West Point.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

This game right here will test our team to its maximum. Any lack luster playing during this game will end very ugly for our team. UH must play hungry for four quarters to win this one. Never get complacent!! They might even have to make an incredible comeback which I hope it never comes to that.

UH never played to their potential against Rice. It was just enough to win. Most other fans are saying our competition is weak. That is why we won. I say B.S on that. UH won because they willed themselves to win. They never quit or choked. They kept their composure and kept trucking until the time clock read 00:00.

The offense will need to be explosive and play as one for each other. They will need to do their part extremely well on every play. Scoring a lot of points will take some pressure off the defense. Army will be tough to stop.

So if UH wants to make a big noise in the NCAA world then this Saturday would the perfect time to do it. GO RAINBOW WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Army has a quarterback that sits really low in the backfield so the defensive backs and linebackers will have a tough time picking up the snap and following where the ball is going and when. The fullback Woffolk is at least as tough and elusive as the Rice running back last week. Also, the cornerback plays up tight against the receivers. It's going to be tough to find the open receivers when they play up close at the line of scrimmage. Here's the Liberty game against Army.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcO-meqfOL4
Last edited by shrek2 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

xer 21 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 pm Good read someone found from WSN.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... 26b5aabb84
Takes a Washington Post writer to tell Hawaii fans that there were cultural problems in the locker room? You think a Hawaii Sports writer would say something subtle like they're not that cohesive a group yet, it will take time to build. Instead you see all the transfers leaving Hawaii and you have no clue why. Just makes it tough for a fan to follow. Now we know why there were so many suspensions last year if you add 1 and 1 and get 3. There's always going to be altercations in the locker room, there's just a lot of testosterone flowing but how its managed productively makes it more interesting.
Last edited by shrek2 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

nice read

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

That was an interesting read. I went to a meet the coach and Rolo was saying he wanted to get players that wanted to play for Hawaii. Now I can see that was his solution to the cultural problem. We need a team with cohesiveness one for all all for one because we can't attract the caliber of players the teams with prima donnas have. The players can make each other better by doing their own jobs better. It's still early in the year but so far so good.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

"The issues Rolovich talks about are difficult for those who haven’t lived and worked on Oahu to understand. Hawaii is paradise to vacationers, but it can feel very isolated if you live there. Former Warriors basketball coach Riley Wallace used to talk about “rock fever.” Rolovich prefers to call it “the Magellan mind-set.”

“You come here, you have to be prepared to be an explorer. The geography’s not going to change. The volcano isn’t going to all of a sudden erupt and create a bridge between here and the mainland. When we fly somewhere, we aren’t going to see land for 4½ to five hours. I tell players when we recruit them that in four or five years when they leave here, they’ll be worldly men. They can go in any direction and be comfortable.”

^^^ From that Washington Post article.

I don't like that term "rock fever", and I never heard of that term until I spoke to some haole military members who asked about "rock fever". I told them I never heard of that term growing up, when you're born and raised in Hawaii you don't know anything else, but living the island life. Almost all of my family and friends live in Hawaii, so for most of us it's no big 'ting. Rock fever for non locals sounds more like homesickness to me. IDK, I still hate that term.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Takes a Washington Post writer to tell Hawaii fans that there were cultural problems in the locker room? You think a Hawaii Sports writer would say something subtle like they're not that cohesive a group yet, it will take time to build. Instead you see all the transfers leaving Hawaii and you have no clue why. Just makes it tough for a fan to follow. Now we know why there were so many suspensions last year if you add 1 and 1 and get 3. There's always going to be altercations in the locker room, there's just a lot of testosterone flowing but how its managed productively makes it more interesting.
Yup, but no surprise there.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm "The issues Rolovich talks about are difficult for those who haven’t lived and worked on Oahu to understand. Hawaii is paradise to vacationers, but it can feel very isolated if you live there. Former Warriors basketball coach Riley Wallace used to talk about “rock fever.” Rolovich prefers to call it “the Magellan mind-set.”

“You come here, you have to be prepared to be an explorer. The geography’s not going to change. The volcano isn’t going to all of a sudden erupt and create a bridge between here and the mainland. When we fly somewhere, we aren’t going to see land for 4½ to five hours. I tell players when we recruit them that in four or five years when they leave here, they’ll be worldly men. They can go in any direction and be comfortable.”

I don't like that term "rock fever", and I never heard of that term until I spoke to some haole military members who asked about "rock fever". I told them I never heard of that term growing up, when you're born and raised in Hawaii you don't know anything else, but living the island life. Almost all of my family and friends live in Hawaii, so for most of us it's no big 'ting. Rock fever for non locals sounds more like homesickness to me. IDK, I still hate that term.
What he refers to as "rock fever" I used to know as "island fever." When you local, you get involved as an adult in lots of local softball and basketball leagues or go diving or surfing somewhere and there's all kinds of things to do. When you live on the mainland you have access to taking a trip out to Yosemite, Napa or Ocean Beach if you live in Northern California or Disneyland, Venice Beach etc if you live in Southern Cal. When I came back from Europe and lived in the east coast, first thing I did was go to a play on 42nd street in NY. One thing when you have that freedom of getting away is that people aren't asking you the same questions. I can imagine that Rolo might be asked how's so-and-so on the team doing when he goes to Safeway or wherever. That leads to island fever because there's no where he can go to get away from those questions except taking a trip back to Marin or Kula where his in-laws are.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

When I grew up here I would see over and over how people would attempt to move here from the mainland but after a year or two feel so isolated from the things they enjoyed in the mainland that they go back. It was called rock fever back then, maybe the 70's. I grew up on Kauai and knew some of the people there haven't ever left the island. I once talked to a couple who were so nervous because they were retiring and going to take their first trip off the island in their late 50's. They had never even been to another island! Today due to the internet and tv kids grew up seeing much of the world elsewhere and some feel that Hawaii is too limiting for them, particularly job market is limited and housing and just about everything else is so expensive that they can't wait to get off the rock. I guess back in the day there were those like that too and if they lacked the monetary means to leave like parents put them in college in the mainland then they would enlist in the military. I guess too that sooner or later some of them will still come back.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm "The issues Rolovich talks about are difficult for those who haven’t lived and worked on Oahu to understand. Hawaii is paradise to vacationers, but it can feel very isolated if you live there. Former Warriors basketball coach Riley Wallace used to talk about “rock fever.” Rolovich prefers to call it “the Magellan mind-set.”

When I was at Schofield in the Army I can remember mainlanders moaning about how they miss home. I told them to either adjust and be happy or go home. Even my sister when she comes here she tells me in Seattle we have this. I keep telling her this is not Seattle. I can pretty much go anywhere. My stint in the Army prepared me for this. There are a lot of worse places in the world. But still Hawaii isn’t for everyone.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Good Morning fellas. Game time baby. Dark and early.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Good Morning!! Game On!! Go Warriors!!!