UH vs BYU Attendance

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
caboman70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

UH vs BYU Attendance

Post by caboman70 »

with the puzzling low attendance i was just curious, since BYU seems to be the biggest rival over the years and usually brings the biggest crowds to Aloha Stadium.if UH were to play BYU at home this year with its success so far, what kind of attendance do you guys think UH would draw for this game???

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: UH vs BYU Attendance

Post by cabanalane »

BYU vs UH used to mean something, when both were in the WAC. And how BYU stood in UH's way to the Holiday Bowl.

I don't think it has the same meaning since BYU left WAC, then left MWC (when the rest of WAC became MWC). Beat BYU meant something for those that are about age 50+. And nothing for the younger generation, B-Y-who?

This relates to the new stadium thread. Football is a declining sport. Most kids don't play football anymore, and I'm not talking about the concussion thing. Kids just don't play sports period.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Not only that the younger generation doesn't pay attention to sports, to include football anymore, but the older generation is phasing out due to age and mobility issues. So instead of basically three generations of fans in the stadium there is mostly only the middle generation with a smattering of the older and younger.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

There was a time when local boys sign with BYU (instead of UH) were consider "traders." We understand, BYU was a better program (with Chow as OC), and maybe because of their faith. Respectable, good decision, doing what's best for him and his future football career, but still....a trader.

It does not have the same "sting" anymore when locals boys choose BYU over UH. That's good for him.

As for the younger gen being into sports..It's not about sports or the game anymore. It's about posting selfies on FB to say they were there. Look at me.

Raudi
Starter
Starter

Post by Raudi »

Traitor

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

kinda sad because the movie theaters are doing well showing the UH games, but still if UH doing well and BYU doing well think might draw a bigger crowd. 2001, sold out

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Raudi wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pmTraitor
DOE education, so.

Sorry.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

There's two themes in this post, lack of interest in football and BYU game. First they say that Basketball is taking a lead in sports because its fast moving and you gotta be glued to the tv or miss why there was a 10 point turn around. They say that Baseball is so boring that they are trying to change rules to speed up the game but you can still do something else like manage your portfolio and they always have replays. They say that the NFL suffers from the same thing as you can change the channel after kickoff, halftime, timeouts. BUT if you like football, notwithstanding the traditions of BYU and Hawaii, this is one great game shaping up because BYU and Hawaii was bottom 20 last year. This year BYU beat Arizona and was favored over Cal before Cal beat them. Hawaii in the meantime, has done more than anyone could have predicted for 2018. I'm sure this will be nationally televised. We get to see Dylan Colie as well in the Blue and White. Hope he is doing well.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I lost track that Colie when to BYU, so... Traitor.

I think he personally would have benefited with the R&S as a receiver.

People link football/sports with physical activities, etc. I see football as a culture. And more so from Hawaii's perspective. I think a lot will be lost if football dies. And I'm not talking about a fans ability to throw the ball. The last time we had a Superbowl party at my house, only 2 guys really cared. 20 others didn't even care. Everyone had a great time.

With that said, going back to the Stadium thread, someone suggested (maybe jokingly) it should be back at the old termite palace on King Street by the bowling alley. Perhaps we don't really need a new stadium that big.

I figure, by now, the entire state know that UH is "back" at 3-0. If you have any interest in football, you already are on-board. I think the current attendance level is here to stay, in this new era.

Aloha Stadium will not sell out IMO. I think that's all the part-time and full-time football fans there is now.

Ok, maybe some guys are on Hawaiian Time. If UH is 6-0, or 6-1, etc (half way in the season and doing awesome) and attendance is still under 30,000, I don't imagine it going up.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Dylan Collie had the most honorable reasons for moving. First he served a Mormon mission, he was married and he is from that part of the country. He caught one pass for 25 yards against Arizona and two passes against Cal for 25 yards total and two carries on end arounds for -1 and 9 yards. So Hawaii should look for that when they play. I think that his replacements at slot and wideouts have more than compensated for his loss. Gimme Byrd over Collie although good luck to Collie in his endeavors.

To me, what would sell more tickets is Rolo's demeanor in post game shows or cancel his interview after games. He seems so defensive. It seems like a lot of questions he takes as attacks and should learn to turn those questions around and laugh and smile a bit especially after a win. Its like being a politician but it can sell more tickets. Head coaching is a tough job. You gotta have one face for the kids, different face for the media, different face for the admin.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I don't think the answer is that complicated... Norm Chow just killed a lot of the interest in the team and it takes a lot to rebuild that interest. The program really shot itself in the foot last season, because that was their best chance to build on the success of how the previous season ended. Not only did they lose, but they lost in bad ways by blowing leads, costly turnovers, and undisciplined play that resulted in penalties. People who were ready to give the team a shot again changed their minds. I'm glad that Rolo made the changes he did in the off season with the coaching staff, because it showed me that he was serious about turning this thing around.

I think it is going to take a long enough string of wins or solid performances to show people that the "dog days" are truly over. beating Army would be so huge in that aim. Let's hope they come out and do what we think they can.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm

To me, what would sell more tickets is Rolo's demeanor in post game shows or cancel his interview after games. He seems so defensive. It seems like a lot of questions he takes as attacks and should learn to turn those questions around and laugh and smile a bit especially after a win. Its like being a politician but it can sell more tickets. Head coaching is a tough job. You gotta have one face for the kids, different face for the media, different face for the admin.
I don't know Rolo at all, but I like to think what you see is what you get. True, a HC is the politician. The likes of Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, etc make the best HC. But I'm not sure I want my son to model after them. They are like sneaky "salesmans". Perhaps that why Niumatalolo sent his son to UH, under Rolo. He is one of the good HCs that perhaps young coaches want to model after.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 pm
shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm

I don't know Rolo at all, but I like to think what you see is what you get. True, a HC is the politician. The likes of Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, etc make the best HC. But I'm not sure I want my son to model after them. They are like sneaky "salesmans". Perhaps that why Niumatalolo sent his son to UH, under Rolo. He is one of the good HCs that perhaps young coaches want to model after.
You know what I get, cabanalane, from Rolo's postgame comments after Rice is I'm mad as heck and I don't know why you guys are asking these stupid questions. I would like to have him laugh at these people that ask pointed questions and turn it around and ask them another question to make his point. I think it was cool the way Ursua is really good at expressing his team sentiments and how they are working harder and trying to get better, all the while charming the audience. Cole probably is really cautious because he knows that they are trying to bait him with questions about how well he is doing and to talk about himself when the team philosophy is to play team ball. I still like the fact that he still is comfortable and smiled during the postgame interview. Like I said, head coaching is a tough job.