shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: When will the Rainbow be gone?

Post by shrek2 »

You can also look at Rainbow as being the aloha side of "Live aloha, play Warrior." Either way, its just a name. It'll always be UH to me.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am Not sure what ppl have up their a$$ about the Rainbow part of Rainbow Warriors. Is it the association the rainbow now has w/gay ppl? I sense some bigotry.
Travel around the world with the Rainbow logo, go into sports bars and sporting events and tell me its okay. For me, I get tired of the "is that for gay pride?" question. Wearing it in Hawaii or even in MWC cities, its okay, almost everyone who lives in Hawaii or those cities know its the UH nickname, but not the rest of the country/world. Also, no bigotry, I just don't like being mistaken for being gay. I get hit on by enough females (sure I do), I don't need dudes passing me their number. lol

2left
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 2left »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:39 pm
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am Not sure what ppl have up their a$$ about the Rainbow part of Rainbow Warriors. Is it the association the rainbow now has w/gay ppl? I sense some bigotry.
Travel around the world with the Rainbow logo, go into sports bars and sporting events and tell me its okay. For me, I get tired of the "is that for gay pride?" question. Wearing it in Hawaii or even in MWC cities, its okay, almost everyone who lives in Hawaii or those cities know its the UH nickname, but not the rest of the country/world. Also, no bigotry, I just don't like being mistaken for being gay. I get hit on by enough females (sure I do), I don't need dudes passing me their number. lol
There's a difference between coming up with a way to integrate rainbow colors, and the old "rainbow logo". I was at UH when they switched from the menehune to that logo and even back then, I and most students I knew thought the rainbow logo was way lame. Same with the dreaded "marshmallow man". If UH is going to keep the "rainbow" in the rainbow warriors name, then at least bring back the menehune!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:39 am
It has more to do with the image and what young men, want or do not want, to be associated with. I can’t recall exactly the number of times that former players, especially those that played under the “Warrior” name, current players and future recruits have a dislike of the “Rainbow” brand. Sure some will rock the Rainbow logo on their practice helmet or wear a shirt or something with it in public, but many would rather just be known as “Warriors”. From what my friends that were on some of those teams have said, they respect what the “Rainbow” is and what it means to some fans, but its time has passed in today’s CFB world, especially in trying to get what little recruits we can. Poll 10 HS FB recruits, especially mainland recruits, and ask them, “Would you rather be a Rainbow Warrior, a Bronco, a Bulldog, a Cougar, etc?”. Don’t factor in any other variables. Location, quality of school, price, etc, just base it on the name. Guarantee majority would not want to be associated with “Rainbow Warriors”. That’s just the cold hard truth.
Names/mascots have nothing to do with it. Winning, learning from top tier coaching, D or O scheme and education is what attracts top talent.

What about that dumb elephant @ Alabama? Did Tua go their bc he loves elephants? What about the Buckeyes? I mean really ppl.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm
It has more to do with the image and what young men, want or do not want, to be associated with. I can’t recall exactly the number of times that former players, especially those that played under the “Warrior” name, current players and future recruits have a dislike of the “Rainbow” brand. Sure some will rock the Rainbow logo on their practice helmet or wear a shirt or something with it in public, but many would rather just be known as “Warriors”. From what my friends that were on some of those teams have said, they respect what the “Rainbow” is and what it means to some fans, but its time has passed in today’s CFB world, especially in trying to get what little recruits we can. Poll 10 HS FB recruits, especially mainland recruits, and ask them, “Would you rather be a Rainbow Warrior, a Bronco, a Bulldog, a Cougar, etc?”. Don’t factor in any other variables. Location, quality of school, price, etc, just base it on the name. Guarantee majority would not want to be associated with “Rainbow Warriors”. That’s just the cold hard truth.
Names/mascots have nothing to do with it. Winning, learning from top tier coaching, D or O scheme and education is what attracts top talent.

What about that dumb elephant @ Alabama? Did Tua go their bc he loves elephants? What about the Buckeyes? I mean really ppl.
They're Power5 schools, top football schools that compete for national championships. Their football program is what sells recruits to the Alabama's and Ohio States, Hawaii is not in that class. Be realistic. Almost all Power5 schools have money, and compete at the highest level, unlike the have nots. The have nots have to do every little thing to have their schools stand out, if its an easy thing like having bad okole uniforms, why not do it? C',mon, now.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I'm in line with you Palolo. Yeah, seems like this thread did bring up some weird posts. Insecurities? I guess they don't know that the Mascot for BYU may be a older well dressed lady this year. :)

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

It definitely does have something to do with it when you’re not winning on a consistent basis, craptastic facilities and don’t have top tier coaching on the levels of Saban, Sweeney, Harbaugh etc. Sorry Rolo, no disrespect, but let’s be real. Defensive and offensive schemes, well bringing back the RNS is a start and should help. And UHs quality of education is fine, but honestly it’s not what catches a recruits eye. If you think that it does then I don’t know what to tell you. Is it a factor? Sure it is, just like name and uniforms are factors. Hawaii has to do whatever it can to try and get ahead. Get ahead, forget get ahead. They need to catch up.

Bama’s tradition of winning and cool name outweigh its ridiculous mascot. Which in all honesty isn’t really bad. Same with Ohio St and whatever a Buckeye is.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm in line with you Palolo. Yeah, seems like this thread did bring up some weird posts. Insecurities? I guess they don't know that the Mascot for BYU may be a older well dressed lady this year. :)
I’m sorry but what’s weird about it? I’m sorry if you can’t see the bigger picture. And what’s wrong with BYU’s mascot. Cosmo the cougar seems like a fine college mascot. Kinda “weird” that you would mention an old lady in this discussion.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:34 pm

It definitely does have something to do with it when you’re not winning on a consistent basis, craptastic facilities and don’t have top tier coaching on the levels of Saban, Sweeney, Harbaugh etc. Sorry Rolo, no disrespect, but let’s be real. Defensive and offensive schemes, well bringing back the RNS is a start and should help. And UHs quality of education is fine, but honestly it’s not what catches a recruits eye. If you think that it does then I don’t know what to tell you. Is it a factor? Sure it is, just like name and uniforms are factors. Hawaii has to do whatever it can to try and get ahead. Get ahead, forget get ahead. They need to catch up.

Bama’s tradition of winning and cool name outweigh its ridiculous mascot. Which in all honesty isn’t really bad. Same with Ohio St and whatever a Buckeye is.
In the end, I doubt we lose recruits for a dang rainbow. Traditions are made for a reason and fans always love the through back jerseys.

Some gimmicky mascot, will not land recruits. Maybe a new stadium, facilities or lime green field might. Let's think of real paths to arrant the best talent possible; winning, facilities and scheme
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm

In the end, I doubt we lose recruits for a dang rainbow. Traditions are made for a reason and fans always love the through back jerseys.

Some gimmicky mascot, will not land recruits. Maybe a new stadium, facilities or lime green field might. Let's think of real paths to arrant the best talent possible; winning, facilities and scheme
I also doubt we'll lose recruits for being "back in black" and being called the Warriors, but we may gain a few. As a traditionalist, let's go back to the all gold helmets and rebadge UH as the "Fighting Deans". That's our real roots, no?

O.Ranks
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by O.Ranks »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 pm
I’m sorry but what’s weird about it? I’m sorry if you can’t see the bigger picture. And what’s wrong with BYU’s mascot. Cosmo the cougar seems like a fine college mascot. Kinda “weird” that you would mention an old lady in this discussion.
I guess the joke went over your head. A cougar can also be a term for an attractive older woman haha.

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None

Post by travo66 »

O.Ranks wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 pm
I guess the joke went over your head. A cougar can also be a term for an attractive older woman haha.
No, cougar is an older woman that goes for younger guys. You're thinking of a MILF, haha!
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None

Post by travo66 »

Well, it's a good thing we're a relatively cheap, good school in paradise, because those variables DO factor in and kids want to come here for all different reasons!
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

travo66 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am
Well, it's a good thing we're a relatively cheap, good school in paradise, because those variables DO factor in and kids want to come here for all different reasons!
Are you factoring in the cost of airline travel and housing for out-of-state students? Our paradise location is a positive, but it’s also a negative. People don’t see that all the time.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm

I doubt we gain recruits for a dang rainbow. And like I said, I’m ok with it being on a throwback, but it being the main at-the-forefront image of the program, it’s time is done.

Also I already mentioned facilities and winning as being the main factors in getting talent.