shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Cole McDonald

Post by shrek2 »

I didn't want to post this under the GOAT QB post but have a thread strickly for Cole. I think he deserves a lot of kudos for the things he says off the field besides being an outstanding QB. Not only has he put up the numbers on offense but I think for Cole to say things like he looks at the team as being 0-0 instead of 3-0 shows a lot of maturity. Everybody loves a winner and he is more than a quarterback and provides great leadership for the rest of the team.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Cole McDonald

Post by honu888 »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:30 am I didn't want to post this under the GOAT QB post but have a thread strickly for Cole. I think he deserves a lot of kudos for the things he says off the field besides being an outstanding QB. Not only has he put up the numbers on offense but I think for Cole to say things like he looks at the team as being 0-0 instead of 3-0 shows a lot of maturity. Everybody loves a winner and he is more than a quarterback and provides great leadership for the rest of the team.
And to think he is only a 3rd year Soph. Even during the off season interviews he has shown that integrity and maturity. You could tell that he wanted to be "The One" to lead this team. The future certainly looks bright.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Guys lets not get the crown out too early. He's on a good run, but he's also only 3 games into starting. Let's revisit at seasons end and then again after next season.

He missed a bunch of RPO reads last night and his pass placement is inconsistent. He also has some very talented WRs that make his job easier.

I'm not hatin on him, I'm cautious when ppl start naming the latest successful guy the best eva. Mr Breenan was notoriuosly consistent.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

At this point, he shows a lot of NFL potential. I'd like to see him pass more on the run or rollout.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 am At this point, he shows a lot of NFL potential. I'd like to see him pass more on the run or rollout.
Huh? NFL? He's been under center in victory formation only...he's a good system QB, but definitely not an NFL QB.

Do you see his long wind up, staring down WRs and crampy footwork?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:04 am Guys lets not get the crown out too early. He's on a good run, but he's also only 3 games into starting. Let's revisit at seasons end and then again after next season.

He missed a bunch of RPO reads last night and his pass placement is inconsistent. He also has some very talented WRs that make his job easier.

I'm not hatin on him, I'm cautious when ppl start naming the latest successful guy the best eva. Mr Breenan was notoriuosly consistent.
For me, that's what this post was trying to do:
Best QB in the history of UH football

But in this post, I think that Cole deserves some recognition for not only the great play on the field but the young man who is developing before the eyes of the Hawaii fans. His interviews and what he says is more mature than Colt and some others when they were interviewed at the same stage in their careers. What I glean from his postgame interviews the last two games is that he is going for the gold and not settling for getting the silver and he is going to work to get it.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 am At this point, he shows a lot of NFL potential. I'd like to see him pass more on the run or rollout.
Huh? NFL? He's been under center in victory formation only...he's a good system QB, but definitely not an NFL QB.

I watched Colin Kaepernick at UNR and SF. He is better at this stage than Colin was. Oh yeah, Colin only learned to kneel after 5 years in the pros.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Considering how the programs has been over the last few years, it's nice to think Cole MD can be GOAT in UH history. Wishful thinking or not, why not? Honestly, I'm still stuck in the Chow era in terms of fan thinking.

During the JJ era, when the team was down, I have no doubt they could come back. During the Chow era, when the team is down by one score, it's game over.

We have yet to see how this team react being down. Do they have the confidence to come back? We don't know.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I like the fact that the press baits him with questions about his stats but he retorts in Tsai's article that he doesn't care about stats and he's more concerned that it's a win. I know Pro teams that invest money in training their rookies on saying the right thing in interviews but this kid is already a man by what he says.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

QBs by default, are a different breed. Being a 3 year player (So), he has already matured and know what to say. Many have said Chevan Cordeiro had a slight edge over Cole. True, or not, it came down to the X-factor, and Cole has it (now). Sort of like at work. Sometimes the best guy for the job is not the most talented (not saying Cole is not). QB got to know how to talk to the coaches, teammates, press, professors, and the public he meets at Zippys.

With Cole starting, the experience gained over the last 3 games, he is now way ahead of Chevan Cordeiro, without a doubt, UH's best option at QB.

With that said, I hope Rolo DON'T start the two Freshman QBs. Even within the rules, is better for them not to have any game experience. If they get hit, fumble, or interception, will quickly shot down their confidence. I would like to see Rolo keep these guys hungry, and also believe they can walk on water. If they believe it, they can. They would be awesome when they get their first real start. It's important to control "adversity."

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 am QBs by default, are a different breed. Being a 3 year player (So), he has already matured and know what to say. Many have said Chevan Cordeiro had a slight edge over Cole. True, or not, it came down to the X-factor, and Cole has it (now). Sort of like at work. Sometimes the best guy for the job is not the most talented (not saying Cole is not). QB got to know how to talk to the coaches, teammates, press, professors, and the public he meets at Zippys.

With Cole starting, the experience gained over the last 3 games, he is now way ahead of Chevan Cordeiro, without a doubt, UH's best option at QB.

With that said, I hope Rolo DON'T start the two Freshman QBs. Even within the rules, is better for them not to have any game experience. If they get hit, fumble, or interception, will quickly shot down their confidence. I would like to see Rolo keep these guys hungry, and also believe they can walk on water. If they believe it, they can. They would be awesome when they get their first real start. It's important to control "adversity."
They'll probably get some PT against Duquesne. They should be able to learn from mistakes and still be confident. It could be a good learning experience.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 am
cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 am QBs by default, are a different breed. Being a 3 year player (So), he has already matured and know what to say. Many have said Chevan Cordeiro had a slight edge over Cole. True, or not, it came down to the X-factor, and Cole has it (now). Sort of like at work. Sometimes the best guy for the job is not the most talented (not saying Cole is not). QB got to know how to talk to the coaches, teammates, press, professors, and the public he meets at Zippys.

They'll probably get some PT against Duquesne. They should be able to learn from mistakes and still be confident. It could be a good learning experience.
I'm again with you Irse on this one. As much as I like Cole, I think that Hawaii has to give the backups some playing time. Good or bad.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 am

I watched Colin Kaepernick at UNR and SF. He is better at this stage than Colin was. Oh yeah, Colin only learned to kneel after 5 years in the pros.
I saw all of UH's games against Kapernick.

I like Cole's potential. He can pass the ball. That's what QBs are for. Manage the game, execute, lead and pass the ball. If you can run that is an added benefit. If you can run and take the pounding you are lucky.

Kapernick is out of the NFL. Once they know your weakness they got you. Yes, you can still win games but the odds are you may not have a playoff team. Kapernick's achilles heel was the pass. Force him to pass and you can beat him. He isn't accurate and he isn't consistent.

Kapernick never beat Hawaii. We forced him to pass and contained him from running outside the tackles. That's what the NFL was doing to him. And the big and fast LBs was tearing into him.Even as big and strong as Kapernick is he is no match for NFL LBs. With Kapernick's running style eventually they will get you and get you where it will affect your play. Most running QBs that last too long in the NFL.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:20 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 am

I saw all of UH's games against Kapernick.

I like Cole's potential. He can pass the ball. That's what QBs are for. Manage the game, execute, lead and pass the ball. If you can run that is an added benefit. If you can run and take the pounding you are lucky.

Kapernick is out of the NFL. Once they know your weakness they got you. Yes, you can still win games but the odds are you may not have a playoff team. Kapernick's achilles heel was the pass. Force him to pass and you can beat him. He isn't accurate and he isn't consistent.

Kapernick never beat Hawaii. We forced him to pass and contained him from running outside the tackles. That's what the NFL was doing to him. And the big and fast LBs was tearing into him.Even as big and strong as Kapernick is he is no match for NFL LBs. With Kapernick's running style eventually they will get you and get you where it will affect your play. Most running QBs that last too long in the NFL.
Duke, you da man. Exactly what I saw of Kaepernick. He did beat Hawaii in 2009 though. One out of 4 years. He came in with an arm though since he could throw a 90 mph fastball in baseball. Problem was, he wanted to be a quarterback instead of a baseball player and UNR was the only one to offer him a football scholarship and that was after a UNR scout watched his high school basketball game. Unfortunately UNR pistol offense doesn't throw a lot so he tried to grow as a qb at SF but he couldn't look off all receivers. He used to follow one receiver and throw to that receiver. Everybody raved about him the year he took over for Alex Smith but he couldn't even do things that you see the Hawaii players are doing which is knowing when to take the slide to run out the clock. It frustrated me to follow him in the pros. At least Cole has shown that he will slide to run out the clock but so does Freddy Holly and the receivers.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Cole does throw a pretty sweet looking ball.