unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 pm
unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:20 am Waipahu ,with less than 30 suited,beat Waianae decisively. Granted, the Seariders might finish last in the Open this year, but Waipahu certainly has to feel good about their chances for some trophies in a few months.

Kapolei steamrolled outmanned Castle.Kapolei is Open and Castle is D-I, but the Hurricanes seem to have found suitable replacements for all those who transferred out.

I listened to the Kaiser-Aiea game. I think the coaches must have gotten together at the end of regulation and said no OT,can't afford to lose any more players to injury. Between the two,I believe 5 players,all QB's were knocked out of the game.
@unpaid: I'm totally shocked not only that Waipahu won, but won by a pretty large margin. What's even more impressive is that Waipahu did it with a substantial number of players out. I think Waianae alumni need to brace themselves for what may be a very long season. Before the game, Waianae was ranked #7. I have a hunch they will possibly drop-out of the Top Ten completely. I think Waipahu should crack the rankings at #10, especially now that they're D1.

I think both Aiea and Kaiser lost two QBs each. That sucks. Losing your field general always sucks, unless you have very capable backups.
scoringlive came-out with their rankings for this week. They have Waipahu at #15. I think that's too low. For smashing Waianae, I think they should be rewarded with at least a #10 ranking.
Waipahu does face a huge test this week against Iolani. It’ll tell us a lot about both teams.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 pm

@unpaid: I'm totally shocked not only that Waipahu won, but won by a pretty large margin. What's even more impressive is that Waipahu did it with a substantial number of players out. I think Waianae alumni need to brace themselves for what may be a very long season. Before the game, Waianae was ranked #7. I have a hunch they will possibly drop-out of the Top Ten completely. I think Waipahu should crack the rankings at #10, especially now that they're D1.

I think both Aiea and Kaiser lost two QBs each. That sucks. Losing your field general always sucks, unless you have very capable backups.
scoringlive came-out with their rankings for this week. They have Waipahu at #15. I think that's too low. For smashing Waianae, I think they should be rewarded with at least a #10 ranking.
Waipahu does face a huge test this week against Iolani. It’ll tell us a lot about both teams.
Interesting, they still have Waianae ranked a few spots above Waipahu, along with..... Moanalua? I’m thinking Waipahu should be able to beat Moanalua if the beat Waianae.

I’ve read some stuff about both Waianae and Waipahu having starters that couldn’t play in that game. Maybe that’s why Scoringlive didn’t give Waipahu a big bump for winning?

Waipahu vs Iolani is an interesting game. I wonder if Waipahu can rough Iolani up enough and take away that finesse.

Anyway, Crusaders, Puns, Warriors back in action this week! And it’s not against each other! Heeeerreee we go!!!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 am
gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 am

Interesting, they still have Waianae ranked a few spots above Waipahu, along with..... Moanalua? I’m thinking Waipahu should be able to beat Moanalua if the beat Waianae.

I’ve read some stuff about both Waianae and Waipahu having starters that couldn’t play in that game. Maybe that’s why Scoringlive didn’t give Waipahu a big bump for winning?

Waipahu vs Iolani is an interesting game. I wonder if Waipahu can rough Iolani up enough and take away that finesse.

Anyway, Crusaders, Puns, Warriors back in action this week! And it’s not against each other! Heeeerreee we go!!!!
@genks: Regarding the Waipahu game, I think the key will be Waipahu's O-line. In their game against Waianae, Waipahu showed that they can throw the ball. However, against Iolani, I think they should run the ball perhaps about 80% of the time. Waipahu has one of the best RBs in the state in Failauga. Iolani's D-line is usually not that big, so I think Waipahu should try to just run the ball down Iolani's throat. I think Waipahu should run the ball and eat-up clock, so Iolani's prolific quick-strike pass game has less time to be on the field. I'd like to see Waipahu's O-line manhandle Iolani's D-line, creating all kinds of lanes for Failauga. I'd like to see him eat-up huge chunks of real estate. Meanwhile, I hope Iolani RB Nishigaya goes nowhere against Waipahu's defensive front-seven.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Yes Waipahu is on the march. Coaching and offensive plays has stepped up since Carvalho took over. Waipahu always had studs. All the pieces are starting to fall in place. If Farrington or Waianae falter in the Open, Waipahu maybe the team that steps in. Against Iolani, Pound the ball. Iolani stack the box, Waipahu can also throw. Just let Failauga
run.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 pm Yes Waipahu is on the march. Coaching and offensive plays has stepped up since Carvalho took over. Waipahu always had studs. All the pieces are starting to fall in place. If Farrington or Waianae falter in the Open, Waipahu maybe the team that steps in. Against Iolani, Pound the ball. Iolani stack the box, Waipahu can also throw. Just let Failauga
run.
@Markeke: My sentiments exactly. When you play a school like Iolani, which is usually undersized on the line, pound the rock. Especially when you have a good RB like Failauga. And even if Iolani does stack the box, are their D-linemen big enough to stymie Waipahu's O-line? Also, hopefully Waipahu takes the field with some confidence, knowing that they do have a pass game in their back pocket. When Iolani starts trying to fling the ball around, Waipahu should remember that two can play that game. As for Waianae faltering, it looks like they already have. Waianae has stumbled badly out of the starting gate, and now they have to play #1 St Louis. As they say: When it rains, it pours. Waianae High has such a long and proud football tradition; as far back as the mid-'70s, they had been kicking a lot of schools' butts on the gridiron, big-time. Guys of a certain age will remember Waianae's vaunted wishbone, which was so difficult to stop. In many ways, back then they were like Kahuku is now: A run-oriented school with huge O-linemen and good RBs. This season has the makings of a long and depressing one for Waianae alumni, and now they have to brace for St Louis. Some years, doo-doo happens.

hawaiiboy396
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hawaiiboy396 »

This week I think stl blasts waianae. I see it getting really ugly. I think stl by 49.

Kapolei by 7 over Kamehameha in a tight one.

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

Waipahu should run the ball against iolani that would give them the best chance to win. I guess no one saw them vs kapolei scrimmage? They are not going to throw to win. The QBs best assets are his legs not his arm. And back to the Waianae game don’t think they are going to win one in the open it’s just one of those years for them and Waianae not being able to score is going to be there biggest problem and they lost their DC to kapolei is huge . I honestly believe Lancaster was a great fit for that program but they weren’t able to comprehend the message that he was trying implement there and when you don’t understand you get frustrated ! Back to Waipahu you stop failauga you win !!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

hawaiiboy396 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:24 pm This week I think stl blasts waianae. I see it getting really ugly. I think stl by 49.

Kapolei by 7 over Kamehameha in a tight one.
@hawaiiboy396: Yeah, I was thinking St Louis by 42. This must seem like deja vu for Waianae alumni. From the mid-'80s to the present, Waianae might work its way to the top of the OIA, but when they met St Louis in either the Prep Bowl or in the state tourney, the wheels would come-off. The '12 or '13 final was close, but otherwise, Waianae would take a whupping. Isn't this week's game on TV? Now the entire state will be able to watch. I think the only thing Waianae alumni can hope for is the occasional kick-butt play by the defensive front-seven. Otherwise, there'll probably be very few bright spots for Waianae.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

DA SCOUT wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:49 pm Waipahu should run the ball against iolani that would give them the best chance to win. I guess no one saw them vs kapolei scrimmage? They are not going to throw to win. The QBs best assets are his legs not his arm. And back to the Waianae game don’t think they are going to win one in the open it’s just one of those years for them and Waianae not being able to score is going to be there biggest problem and they lost their DC to kapolei is huge . I honestly believe Lancaster was a great fit for that program but they weren’t able to comprehend the message that he was trying implement there and when you don’t understand you get frustrated ! Back to Waipahu you stop failauga you win !!!
@DA SCOUT: Well, I don't think Iolani's defensive front-seven will be able to stop Failauga. If Waipahu QB Marques is as poor a passer as you're impying, that shows how weak Waianae's secondary is. Didn't Marques throw 3 TD passes against them? Anyway, if Waipahu isn't going to win with the pass, they might not need the pass when they have an RB like Failauga. And then there are those schools that can't pass or run to win.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I said I would keep a track of Open wins and losses.We are on the eve of a necessary change in Hawaii football.

Campbell 0-0
Farrington 0-0
Kahuku 0-0
Kamehameha 0-0
Kapolei 0-0
Mililani 0-0
St.Louis 0-0
Waianae 0-0

These unofficial standings will sure look a lot different after few more weeks pass by.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

^^^Maybe just give Open it's own thread since there's bound to be as much and probably more discussion about it as D1. Easier to follow conversations/debates.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I expect a great game between Punahou and Kahuku. I also expect us to give our best effort, even though there'll be first-game jitters.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:21 pm I expect a great game between Punahou and Kahuku. I also expect us to give our best effort, even though there'll be first-game jitters.
Yup, should be a good game. If Big Red can establish the run and pressure the Punahou qb, I like our chances.
Good luck!
RRFL!!!!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Gaaaaameee Daaaaayyy!!!! Let’s go!!!!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 am
gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:21 pm I expect a great game between Punahou and Kahuku. I also expect us to give our best effort, even though there'll be first-game jitters.
Yup, should be a good game. If Big Red can establish the run and pressure the Punahou qb, I like our chances.
Good luck!
RRFL!!!!
@rrforlifebaby: I think the key to this game is Punahou's O-line. How good are they? Can they keep Kahuku's defensive front-seven off of their QB? I do suspect Kahuku can establish the run. So, I'm worried about whether Kahuku can contain Punahou's pass game. (Yes, I'm backing Kahuku.)