Chad Morris The New Head Hog

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Calloway Looks To Prove His Worth

Post by HawaiianHogster »

By Otis Kirk

Fayetteville, AR. – Sophomore cornerback Chevin Calloway turned down Texas and many others to become a Razorback.

While he was from Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne High School, Calloway wasn't a true out-of-state prospect. He was born in Pine Bluff and has family there.

“I know I was born there for sure and grew up a little bit there,” Calloway said. “I was probably about two or three years old when we moved to Texas. I have a couple of cousins (in Pine Bluff) and an uncle that stays down there and my grandmother stays down there sometimes.”

Landing Calloway was huge for the Razorbacks since he hadn't lived in Arkansas except when he was a baby. The four-star recruit was the No. 120 player in the ESPN300. He played in the Under Armour All-American Game. Did you being from Pine Bluff play a role in Arkansas beating not just the Longhorns, but Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Michigan, Auburn, LSU and many others?

“No,” Calloway said. “That wasn’t a factor at all. It was more my experience when I came here and the coaches.”

Read the rest here - https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1347611856
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

08/06 Post Practice

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

[youtube][/youtube]
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Arkansas Lands Three-Star Running Back

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1349229467

Arkansas has picked up a commitment from Phenix City (Ala.) Central three-star running back A'Montae Spivey.

Spivey is the first running back in Arkansas' Class of 2019. On July 4, Spivey narrowed his list of 14 offers down to five. LSU, Louisiana, Missouri and Purdue joined the Hogs on the list. On Monday, he chose the Razorbacks over LSU.

He was recruited by Joe Craddock and Jeff Traylor. Spivey rushed for 944 yards and 14 touchdowns as a junior. He was offered by Arkansas on March 2 and unofficially visited on June 7. He visited and was offered by LSU on June 23.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Spivey also had offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Massachusetts, Toledo, Troy, Tulane, Youngstown State and South Alabama.

Here's Arkansas' Class of 2019 commitments by position.
KJ Jefferson, QB, 6-3, 211, Sardis (Miss.) North Panola
A'Montae Spivey, RB, 6-1, 205, Phenix City (Ala.) Central
Treylon Burks, WR, 6-3, 225, Warren
TQ Jackson, WR, 6-2, 188, Jefferson (Texas)
Shamar Nash, WR, 6-1, 195, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy
Joseph Stone, OL, 6-8, 354, Gulf Breeze (Fla.)
Beaux Limmer, OL, 6-5, 270, Tyler (Texas) Robert E. Lee
Enoch Jackson, DT, 6-0, 290, Mansfield (Texas) Legacy
Carl Williams, DT, 6-4, 310, Lufkin (Texas)
Marcus Miller, DT, 6-5, 300, Warren
Zach Williams, DE, 6-4, 225, Joe T. Robinson
Mataio Soli, DE, 6-4, 225, Douglasville (Ga.) Douglas County
Collin Clay, DE, 6-4, 261, Putnam City (Okla.)
Eric Gregory, DE, 6-4, 240, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy
Zach Zimos, LB, 6-4, 215, Richmond (Texas) Fort Bend Travis
Malik Chavis, ATH-CB, 6-2, 175, Rison
Adonis Otey, CB, 5-11, 180, Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Blackman
Myles Brooks, S, 6-2, 190, Pflugerville (Texas) Hendrickson

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kirk Reviews Day 3 of Fall Camp

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1349209378

Arkansas is on the field Monday morning for the third preseason practice.

Head coach Chad Morris had hoped for hotter weather and he was getting that on Monday though the team started practice around 10:20 a.m. The first 20 minutes were open to the media.

Ty Storey continues to be the first quarterback taking snaps in the offensive drills. A few of the players not practicing on that side of the ball were center Dylan Hays in protective jersey and offensive lineman Jalen Merrick (riding a bike). Redshirt freshman Shane Clenin took Hays' spot at first-team center.

During the open periods, Connor Limpert nailed a 38-yard field goal. Matthew Phillips' attempt from the same distance sailed wide left. Quarterback Jack Lindsey was the holder for the field goals.

True freshman defensive lineman Billy Ferrell and sophomore Briston Guidry also weren't practicing.

Working with the first-team defense was Sosa Agim, Randy Ramsey and Gabe Richardson alternating at the ends with Armon Watts and T.J. Smith inside. The linebackers were Scoota Harris and Dre Greenlaw with Hayden Henry working at the nickel. The cornerbacks were Ryan Pulley and Chevin Calloway with Kamren Curl and Santos Ramirez at the safeties.

The second-unit defense to begin practice had Austin Capps and Jonathan Marshall inside on the line with Michael Taylor and David Porter at the ends. The linebackers were Grant Morgan and Dee Walker with the secondary consisting of Britto Tutt and Jarques McClellion at the corners, Nate Dalton at the nickel and then Montaric Brown along with Micahh Smith at the safeties.

Link

Link

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Mike Irwin on North Endzone Project

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Malone Out For Season, O-Line Depth Takes Another Hit

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1351765134

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Another day, another injury on the offensive line at Arkansas.

The latest is senior Deion Malone. He joins true freshman Ryan Winkel, juniors Colton Jackson and Jalen Merrick along with sophomore Dylan Hays on the sidelines.

On Tuesday, Arkansas coach Chad Morris talked about Malone's injury.

“We really don’t have much to report other than Deion Malone is out and will be out the rest of the year,” Morris said. “He had season-ending surgery last night on his knee.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Offensive Line Remains a Big Need for Hogs in 2019 Class

Kirk: Offensive Line Remains a Big Need for Hogs in 2019 Class
By: Otis Kirk
Updated: Aug 08, 2018 02:24 PM CDT

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas has had a lot of success recruiting in the Class of 2019, but there's still needs in the offensive line.

Arkansas has commitments from Tyler (Texas) Robert E. Lee's Beaux Limmer and Gulf Breeze (Fla.) High's Joseph Stone. According to sources, the Hogs want to sign up to five prospects in this class.

They used official visits on Wellington (Texas) High's Trevor Roberson (Texas Tech), St. Louis (Mo.) Lutheran North's Jack Buford (Missouri) and Charlotte (N.C.) Country Day's Triston Miller (North Carolina State). All three obviously went elsewhere. Stone and Limmer have also officially visited Arkansas.

Inside the state, Camden Fairview's Stacey Wilkins (Oklahoma) and Jonesboro's Darius Thomas (Ole Miss) went elsewhere as well.

The Razorbacks currently have 14 scholarship offensive linemen and two walk-ons on the squad. The breakdown is four seniors, two juniors and sophomores each and then six freshmen including three who redshirted as true freshmen last year. One walk-on lineman is a sophomore and the other a redshirt freshman.

The situation most coaches want on the offensive line is 15 scholarship players on the team. To get to that, Chad Morris and his staff would have to retain the current 10 underclassmen and sign five newcomers.

Read the rest here - https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1354630933

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

08/07 and 08/08 Practice with Interviews

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Select Freshman Impress On Day 6 of Fall Camp

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1357550690

By Otis Kirk:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas practiced for the sixth time this preseason on Thursday with Chad Morris meeting with the media afterward.
Among the topics that Morris discussed was freshmen helping the team this fall. He was asked which freshmen have avoided hitting that six-day wall and are still impressing?

“I think we have a lot of freshmen that have a chance to help us out this year,” Morris said. “It’s really hard to see without just going in and only two days of pads, but some guys have just flashed.”

A freshman who has continuously drawn praise from Morris is defensive back Joseph Foucha, who is from New Orleans McDonogh 35 High School. He has worked at both cornerback and safety. He once again was praised by Morris.
“Right off the top of my head, Joe Foucha,” Morris said. “I mentioned him a few days ago. I think he’s a guy, hands down, has a chance to be special. He really does.”

When Morris arrived at Arkansas, he went to Ashdown and flipped cornerback Ladarrius Bishop to the Hogs from Mississippi State. Bishop has impressed Morris.

“I’ve been pleased with Day Day, LaDarrius Bishop,” Morris said. “He’s done some good things.”

Morris admitted that some of the freshmen did hit a wall today which was the second one in pads and hotter than on Wednesday.

“As I told them, we have to pull them through the knot hole,” Morris said. “We just have to keep pulling. You’re going to make it. You’re going to survive. Just keep pulling. But again, I’ve been pleased with those guys.”

Connor Noland and John Stephen Jones got some additional work at quarterback Thursday.

“We put those freshmen quarterbacks in to see what they can do,” Morris said. “Connor Noland got some reps with the ones and John Stephen (Jones) with the twos. Created a little bit of excitement on the sidelines.”

Arkansas has suffered several injuries in the offensive line. The linemen missing practice has created more reps for Noah Gatlin and Silas Robinson.

“Both of these two offensive linemen, Silas Robinson and Noah Gatlin, these guys are getting a ton of reps in that offensive line,” Morris said. “Whatever the circumstance is, we have some guys out right now that’s forcing these two freshmen, young guys, to get in there and get game-speed reps.

“They have done a really good job. A really good job. And I’ve been very proud of them. Been proud of our older guys kind of nurturing and bringing those guys along, too.”

Morris also talked about one more defender from the freshman class.

“Again, those are some,” Morris said. “I’m pretty sure I probably missed one or two here. Isaiah Nichols. He’s got something. He’s got a lot of fight in him. I love it. He’s a good one that will have a great career here in that defensive line.

“Any time you get two freshmen tangled up out there at practice a little bit, get the spirits flying around and everybody high-fiving, hootin’ and hollerin’, you kind of love it. I’m excited about the freshmen that we brought in.”

The team will hold a closed scrimmage on Saturday which could go a long way to helping set the depth chart.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

WATCH: Arkansas' Offense & Defense During 6th Practice

Last edited by HawaiianHogster on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Why SEC QB's Will Know Randy Ramsey's Name

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1357339769

Chris Smith. Trey Flowers. Deatrich Wise Jr.

A recent list of Arkansas defensive ends who acquainted themselves with quarterbacks around the league.

I have a strong feeling Randy Ramsey's name will be added to the list once the 2018 season is over. And no, it's not just because "he's a senior and has to have a good year."

What's the one thing all three guys above have in common?

Swagger.

With Smith and Flowers it was a quiet confidence that came out on the field. Wise Jr had a more outward display. Regardless, they had it.

Randy Ramsey HAS it.

You don't have to look any further than his Twitter feed to figure out who Ramsey is.

He's vocal, he's confident, and he's ready to make a name for himself in the SEC.

Standing 6-4, 236 lbs, he looks the part. He showed his athleticism off the edge during the Spring Game in April.

It was the spring when Defensive Coordinator John Chavis quickly took notice, “I’ve coached some of the best DLs in the country. Randy Ramsey has the chance to be an elite talent.”

He's a hidden gem on this Arkansas defense, or as Chad Morris likes to put it, a guy laying in the weeds.

Right now, he's a nobody. One publication recently put out their list of the top 30 DE's in the country. Ramsey wasn't on it. Im sure they meant no disrespect (last season Ramsey had 2 sacks and 6 quarterback hurries) but I think they'll be pleasantly surprised once the season is over.

"It's going to be a special year. That's all I'm gonna say about it," says Ramsey on the upcoming season he hopes to have.

I've covered Ramsey now for 5 years. It's been a long (and windy) road for the Ft. Lauderdale, Fl, native who came in to play linebacker for Randy Shannon. His story is one of trials and tribulations. Ups and downs. Walking away from football then coming back.

Yea, I have no doubt in my mind Randy Ramsey will have a special year and join the list of great defensive ends to come out of Arkansas.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Morris: 'We're going to build it, we're going to win'

Marty Smith and Ryan McGee sit down with Arkansas head coach Chad Morris to discuss his time in Texas and hitting the road in the Pork Chopper.

http://www.secsports.com/video/24343786 ... -going-win

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24123692

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Pressure-minded Chavis bringing swagger to Arkansas' defense

AP Sports Writer - FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) Arkansas defensive lineman McTelvin Agim thought long and hard in high school about attending Texas A&M, for one reason: Former Aggies defensive coordinator John Chavis.

Three years later, Agim will finally have the chance to play for the coach he has admired for so long.

Chavis was one of new Razorbacks coach Chad Morris' most important hires this year. The former A&M, LSU and Tennessee assistant coach has nearly 30 years of experience working in the Southeastern Conference, winning a national title with the Volunteers in 1998.

The 61-year-old Chavis long ago established himself as one of the premier defensive coordinators in college football, a reputation built on a philosophy of constant quarterback pressure and organized chaos on defense.

"He's just an aggressor," Agim said.

Now Chavis takes over an Arkansas team mired in one of its worst six-year stretches in school history, capped by a 4-8 record last year that led to the firing of former coach Bret Bielema. Among the many things that went wrong for the Razorbacks a year ago was a defense that was 114th in the country while allowing 36.2 points per game.

Read more here - https://www.nwahomepage.com/pig-trail-n ... 1359992852

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Chad Morris - Post-Scrimmage (Aug. 11)

Last edited by HawaiianHogster on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Broyles Tribute Film to Debut on One-Year Anniversary

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... 1364062981

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – “Frank Broyles, Arkansas Legend,” a tribute film to the late University of Arkansas head football coach and men’s director of athletics, will be released online at ArkansasRazorbacks.com on Tuesday, August 14, on the one-year anniversary of Broyles’ passing. Coach Broyles passed away at his home in Fayetteville on August 14, 2017 at the age of 92.

The film was commissioned by the University of Arkansas Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to commemorate Broyles’ life and legacy. “Frank Broyles, Arkansas Legend was produced and edited by Jim Borden and researched and written by Larry Foley, Professor and Chair of the School of Journalism and Strategic Media. Former University of Arkansas quarterback Scott Bull, who played for the Razorbacks under Coach Broyles from 1972-75, is the narrator for the film. Kevin Trainor, University of Arkansas Senior Associate Athletics Director for Public Relations, served as the executive producer on the film.

In April, the 14-minute film won a Broadcast Education Association (BEA) Festival King Foundation Award – the top award given during the BEA’s Festival of Media Arts.

“Frank Broyles is one of the true iconic figures in the history of Arkansas and intercollegiate athletics,” Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Hunter Yurachek said. “His passion for this program, this state and the Razorbacks was truly remarkable. The film celebrates Coach Broyles’ tremendous impact and celebrates his extraordinary contributions as an athlete, coach, administrator, broadcaster and Alzheimer’s care advocate. His legacy lives on and continues to shape every aspect of the Razorback Nation.”

Broyles spent more than a half century serving the University of Arkansas as a football coach, athletics director and goodwill ambassador. In 19 seasons (1958-76) as head football coach, Broyles amassed a record of 144-58-5, seven Southwest Conference titles and 10 bowl bids. In 1964, Broyles led the Razorbacks to an undefeated season and a national championship.

During his 34 ½ years as Athletic Director (1973-2007), Broyles transformed the Razorbacks into one of the most successful programs in the nation earning 43 national titles, 57 SWC titles, 48 SEC titles and 22 bowl game appearances. His vision and leadership were the driving forces behind the University of Arkansas moving to the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in 1990.

In 1996, the Broyles Award was created in recognition of his long-standing history of developing successful assistant coaches. The Broyles Award is given annually to college football’s top assistant coach. In 2007, the field at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium was dedicated as Frank Broyles Field. In 2013, a bronze statue of him was dedicated in front of the Broyles Athletic Center, the athletics administration building which also bears his name.

Beyond his work at Arkansas, Broyles was part of one of the most beloved college football broadcast television teams in history, working alongside Keith Jackson for nine years on ABC. In the fourth quarter of his life, Broyles turned his focus to improving the quality of life for those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and their loved ones. In 2006, Coach Broyles established the Barbara Broyles Legacy, later becoming the Frank & Barbara Broyles Legacy Foundation. Broyles worked toward the publication and national distribution of a guidebook for caregivers, entitled “Coach Broyles’ Playbook for Alzheimer’s Caregivers” which is based on his family’s personal experience caring for his first wife, Barbara Day, in their home. To date, more than one million copies of the playbook have been distributed.