Which true freshman play?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Which true freshman play?

Post by HawaiianHogster »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:28 am How much time does Rolo have left? Fired Chow on the 3rd year. Wagner was fired 3 years after the Holiday Bowl win. Would this be Rolo's last year?

Freshman players can be exciting. I'm not sure Rolo should trust Freshmans.
An old coworker of mine told me this could be his last year unless he can win enough games. He knows many people in the know. Anyway I told him that if they fire Rolo then who the heck will they get to replace him? There is nobody out there that wants to coach Hawaii because it is too difficult to recruit too and too far away from the mainland states. Plus UH can't pay a really good coach enough money to come out here. The assistant coaches would not be improved either because they can't pay them enough money to come out here either.

That's pretty stupid to fire head coaches after 3 years with the exception of Norm Chow with the losing record he had. By firing two head coaches back to back after 3 years why would anyone else want to do that? There is no other JJ that gives a care about Hawaii. Even coaches born and raised in Hawaii try to go elsewhere to coach. Give Rolo 4 years minimum unless of course this season turns out to be pathetic like in the Chow days.

For some reason UH doesn't want an experienced head coach coaching UH football. Your better off keeping Rolo here than going after another coach that has never been head coach before. Just my opinion.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

HawaiianHogster wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 pm
cabanalane wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:28 am How much time does Rolo have left? Fired Chow on the 3rd year. Wagner was fired 3 years after the Holiday Bowl win. Would this be Rolo's last year?

Freshman players can be exciting. I'm not sure Rolo should trust Freshmans.
An old coworker of mine told me this could be his last year unless he can win enough games. He knows many people in the know. Anyway I told him that if they fire Rolo then who the heck will they get to replace him? There is nobody out there that wants to coach Hawaii because it is too difficult to recruit too and too far away from the mainland states. Plus UH can't pay a really good coach enough money to come out here. The assistant coaches would not be improved either because they can't pay them enough money to come out here either.

That's pretty stupid to fire head coaches after 3 years with the exception of Norm Chow with the losing record he had. By firing two head coaches back to back after 3 years why would anyone else want to do that? There is no other JJ that gives a care about Hawaii. Even coaches born and raised in Hawaii try to go elsewhere to coach. Give Rolo 4 years minimum unless of course this season turns out to be pathetic like in the Chow days.

For some reason UH doesn't want an experienced head coach coaching UH football. Your better off keeping Rolo here than going after another coach that has never been head coach before. Just my opinion.
I agree. Keep Rolo around, and see what he can do. Rolo's first year he proved he could coach, now let's see if he can recruit and coach-up his own recruits. I think Rolo deserves at least 3-4 more seasons unless something egregious happens i.e players quit on him, he goes bonkers, suffers 10-11 loss seasons back to back to back etc...

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

We'll see. Rolo may be another Chip Kelly. His handling of the disciplinary issues with defense was horrendous. For me, coach is 50/50. Meh...certainly better than Chow. Definitely a couple of grades lower than McMackin. We'll see.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:38 pm I think Rolo deserves at least 3-4 more seasons unless something egregious happens i.e players quit on him, he goes bonkers, suffers 10-11 loss seasons back to back to back etc...
History will remember Chow as the 2nd worst at UH. But lets be fair and recall his last year. Max Wittek was the man at QB. The assistant coaches were all in place. IIRC, the first two games look like how Chow envisioned it. There was that "good feeling" again. Then it all fell apart.

There were talk of how players just gave up (too). Maybe it was the quality of players. The blame need to go both ways.

This year, I'm getting that "good feeling" again about UH Football. This will be something "new." It can go both ways. 50/50.

I agree with what you guys said. I do think UH need to give a coach (Rolo) more time. But the business don't work that way anymore. No has that kind of luxury.

As much as I feel the excitement, can't wait, looking forward to football again. I also sense a feeling of desperation as in, this (R&S) better work or else...

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

HawaiianHogster wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 pm There is nobody out there that wants to coach Hawaii because it is too difficult to recruit too and too far away from the mainland states. Plus UH can't pay a really good coach enough money to come out here. The assistant coaches would not be improved either because they can't pay them enough money to come out here either.
HH, I used to buy into this but have come to realize it's just a cliché used to defer from the truth. I'm not even mentioning JJ as a replacement because there are other qualified HC with D1, BCS experience who would love to coach at Hawaii.

The other Cliché I don't buy is it takes 2 to 3 years to learn the RNS. But that's just me. :wink:

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:22 pm
HawaiianHogster wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 pm There is nobody out there that wants to coach Hawaii because it is too difficult to recruit too and too far away from the mainland states. Plus UH can't pay a really good coach enough money to come out here. The assistant coaches would not be improved either because they can't pay them enough money to come out here either.
HH, I used to buy into this but have come to realize it's just a cliché used to defer from the truth. I'm not even mentioning JJ as a replacement because there are other qualified HC with D1, BCS experience who would love to coach at Hawaii.

The other Cliché I don't buy is it takes 2 to 3 years to learn the RNS. But that's just me. :wink:
The only qualified HC with BCS experience that are willing to come here are the ones that don't have a job. Someone currently a HC at a BCS school is probably making at least twice as much.

It takes a QB about a year to master the RnS. Robinson is the only one that got it early in his first year. Colt and Moniz took almost a year. Rolo and Chang took more than a year.
ImageImage

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Irse wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:03 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:22 pm

The only qualified HC with BCS experience that are willing to come here are the ones that don't have a job. Someone currently a HC at a BCS school is probably making at least twice as much.
I don't think that money is the only motivator to want to coach at Hawaii. Returning home to family ties, weather, surf or just keeping the wife happy are motivators for a successful HC coach that has already earned his retirement money on the mainland.

Rolo was the obvious choice for HC, but having June coach the QB's or even take on the responsibilities of the OC for a few years would introduce some exciting new opportunities and possibilities. Rolo shouldn't be afraid of job security, but instead, build the best coaching staff possible that the UH football budget will allow, and building a winning program with consistency will assure him of his job security.

I also hope that Rolo would consider using resources already available here in Hawaii, like Miano, who has a good local recruiting knowledge base along with the years of experience and understanding of how UH can be successful, so we don't experience the revolving coaching staff changes every year, as the program develops eventual success. Some coaches would never leave Hawaii for more money and there are advantages to coaching consistency.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Both Miano and Rolo are good for UH Football. There must be a reason why one is in and one is not. And that's too bad.