unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

My mistake, it was three,not five QB'S injured in the Aiea-Kaiser game.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 am My mistake, it was three,not five QB'S injured in the Aiea-Kaiser game.
Damn that’s awful. Hope they get better soon. Heavy toll from their very first game of the year

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Waipahu rolls up Waianae. Is this Waianae taking a big step backwards for Waipahu taking a huge step forward? I want To see more from Waipahu now. If they take Leilehua, they probably collect another OIA title in their second division. Wow

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

That freshman QB for Farrington looks pretty poised against Leileihua. Some mistakes but all in all, did pretty good. Coach Elroy Chong looks good. Like the fact that this Iolani alum has put so much devotion to the Govs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:11 pm Granted Leilehua is without their running back, I shoulda known they'd have trouble on offense. I figured Waipahu would win but just didnt know how their QB would fare. But they had a lot of talent coming back
@Neighbor: You mean, you figured Farrington would win (?)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:20 am Waipahu ,with less than 30 suited,beat Waianae decisively. Granted, the Seariders might finish last in the Open this year, but Waipahu certainly has to feel good about their chances for some trophies in a few months.

Kapolei steamrolled outmanned Castle.Kapolei is Open and Castle is D-I, but the Hurricanes seem to have found suitable replacements for all those who transferred out.

I listened to the Kaiser-Aiea game. I think the coaches must have gotten together at the end of regulation and said no OT,can't afford to lose any more players to injury. Between the two,I believe 5 players,all QB's were knocked out of the game.
@unpaid: I'm totally shocked not only that Waipahu won, but won by a pretty large margin. What's even more impressive is that Waipahu did it with a substantial number of players out. I think Waianae alumni need to brace themselves for what may be a very long season. Before the game, Waianae was ranked #7. I have a hunch they will possibly drop-out of the Top Ten completely. I think Waipahu should crack the rankings at #10, especially now that they're D1.

I think both Aiea and Kaiser lost two QBs each. That sucks. Losing your field general always sucks, unless you have very capable backups.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 am Waipahu rolls up Waianae. Is this Waianae taking a big step backwards for Waipahu taking a huge step forward? I want To see more from Waipahu now. If they take Leilehua, they probably collect another OIA title in their second division. Wow
@genks: My take is that it was more a matter of Waipahu stepping forward. Waianae's secondary seems suspect, and--equally disturbing--they couldn't score more than what, two TDs? against Waipahu. Is Waipahu's D that good, or does Waianae's O simply lack punch?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:18 pm
genks wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 am Waipahu rolls up Waianae. Is this Waianae taking a big step backwards for Waipahu taking a huge step forward? I want To see more from Waipahu now. If they take Leilehua, they probably collect another OIA title in their second division. Wow
@genks: My take is that it was more a matter of Waipahu stepping forward. Waianae's secondary seems suspect, and--equally disturbing--they couldn't score more than what, two TDs? against Waipahu. Is Waipahu's D that good, or does Waianae's O simply lack punch?
I don’t know a ton about Waianae? But I wonder how good that O line is. Without Rosario powering through and making things happen, the O line will need to open up some holes. Maybe they having a tough time on offense

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:04 pm
Neighbor wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:11 pm Granted Leilehua is without their running back, I shoulda known they'd have trouble on offense. I figured Waipahu would win but just didnt know how their QB would fare. But they had a lot of talent coming back
I was talking about the two separate games. I knew Waianae has been a bit of a mess this off-season and like I said, Waipahu had a lot of talent coming back. Just depended on how their new QB would fare and it seems like he's legit so far

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Waianae has had a history of starting slow and plays St. Louis next week. Ouch.

Waipahu faces a big test next week when they play at Iolani in one of the few OIA-ILH games at an ILH field.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week One,

1.Kahuku 1-0 Seems like everyone played in a lopsided win over D-II Konawaena.
2.Punahou 0-0 Did not play.
3.Mililani 1-0 Cruised over Kailua.
4.Kamehameha 0-0 DNP
5.St.Louis 0-0 DNP.
6.Campbell 1-0 Trounced Hilo.
7.Farrington 1-0. Frosh QB looked pretty good in the win over Leilehua.
8.Kapolei 1-0 Players transfer out.No problem. Hurricanes rolled with the guys who stayed.
9.Leilehua 0-1 MCGary in a cast not a good sign.Mules will have go to their classic air game for weeks now.
10.Waipahu 1-0 Big win over Waianae. Iolani next.

Waianae losing by as much as they did was the shocker this week to me.The Seariders showed some positives that they can build on. Kevin Joseph,Jr. Rushed ,received,and returned kicks for around 250 all-purpose yards.That's a guy that could put the team on his back. The QB,Poepoe also showed promise.Obviously, the O and D lines need to get back to the typical tough line play Waianae has been known for.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:21 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:18 pm
I don’t know a ton about Waianae? But I wonder how good that O line is. Without Rosario powering through and making things happen, the O line will need to open up some holes. Maybe they having a tough time on offense
@genks: Something tells me this is going to be a bad year for Waianae. I mean, for decades Waianae was known for having thick, powerful O-lines. And they can put-up only two TDs on Waipahu all game? To make matters worse, Waianae's D also seems to be having problems, especially against the pass. And they play St Louis next? Like, good luck.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:04 pm
I was talking about the two separate games. I knew Waianae has been a bit of a mess this off-season and like I said, Waipahu had a lot of talent coming back. Just depended on how their new QB would fare and it seems like he's legit so far
@Neighbor: So you figured in advance that Waipahu would beat Waianae? I give you credit for that. Waianae was ranked #7 by one poll, and #9 by another. Waipahu wasn't even ranked. And, how often would Waipahu be favored over Waianae in football? Now we know that this is one of those years.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners,

No.1 Kahuku and No.2Punahou,

Robbie Sauvao proved to be a more than adequate replacement for Thorton Alapa. Red Raiders can run,they can pass, and I believe they have an unmatched defense this year. Punahou is still trying to figure out their QB. Kahuku for the win.

No.3 Mililani and No.7 Farrington

I think the defenses are a wash.Mililani has the clear edge on offense. This group of Trojans have been to good at the game for too long to lose to the Governors. Mililani for the win.

No.4 Kamehameha and No.8 Kapolei,

Kapolei is facing a rugged Kamehameha defense that will be way harder to score against than Castle. I really believe The Warriors will earn some respect this year. That will start this weekend against Kapolei. Kamehameha for the win.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 pm
unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:20 am Waipahu ,with less than 30 suited,beat Waianae decisively. Granted, the Seariders might finish last in the Open this year, but Waipahu certainly has to feel good about their chances for some trophies in a few months.

Kapolei steamrolled outmanned Castle.Kapolei is Open and Castle is D-I, but the Hurricanes seem to have found suitable replacements for all those who transferred out.

I listened to the Kaiser-Aiea game. I think the coaches must have gotten together at the end of regulation and said no OT,can't afford to lose any more players to injury. Between the two,I believe 5 players,all QB's were knocked out of the game.
@unpaid: I'm totally shocked not only that Waipahu won, but won by a pretty large margin. What's even more impressive is that Waipahu did it with a substantial number of players out. I think Waianae alumni need to brace themselves for what may be a very long season. Before the game, Waianae was ranked #7. I have a hunch they will possibly drop-out of the Top Ten completely. I think Waipahu should crack the rankings at #10, especially now that they're D1.

I think both Aiea and Kaiser lost two QBs each. That sucks. Losing your field general always sucks, unless you have very capable backups.
scoringlive came-out with their rankings for this week. They have Waipahu at #15. I think that's too low. For smashing Waianae, I think they should be rewarded with at least a #10 ranking.