unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

You should also remember then ,that Campbell and another QB were rotating at QB for many weeks at the start of 2009. TC Campbell didn't win the starting job outright until midway through the regular season. He was a work in progress that contributed to that championship Kamehameha season. Does the freshman take a step as a sophomore , or is there another 2009 like QB competition brewing for 2018?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:34 pm You should also remember then ,that Campbell and another QB were rotating at QB for many weeks at the start of 2009. TC Campbell didn't win the starting job outright until midway through the regular season. He was a work in progress that contributed to that championship Kamehameha season. Does the freshman take a step as a sophomore , or is there another 2009 like QB competition brewing for 2018?
@unpaid: Well, I'm assuming that that frosh QB who played on the vars a few games, is the frontrunner for the position now. But, I don't think he has the potential that TC Campbell did. Thing is, Kamehameha has some good receivers. Will Kamehameha's QB--whichever one wins the job--be good enough himself as a QB, to get the ball to those receivers? I'd hate to be Kamehameha's QB coach right now. I don't think he has very much to work with, quite frankly. And imagine how frustrated Kamehameha's receivers must be. You could just see them standing around with their hands on their hips.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:41 pm
unpaid wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:34 pm You should also remember then ,that Campbell and another QB were rotating at QB for many weeks at the start of 2009. TC Campbell didn't win the starting job outright until midway through the regular season. He was a work in progress that contributed to that championship Kamehameha season. Does the freshman take a step as a sophomore , or is there another 2009 like QB competition brewing for 2018?
@unpaid: Well, I'm assuming that that frosh QB who played on the vars a few games, is the frontrunner for the position now. But, I don't think he has the potential that TC Campbell did. Thing is, Kamehameha has some good receivers. Will Kamehameha's QB--whichever one wins the job--be good enough himself as a QB, to get the ball to those receivers? I'd hate to be Kamehameha's QB coach right now. I don't think he has very much to work with, quite frankly. And imagine how frustrated Kamehameha's receivers must be. You could just see them standing around with their hands on their hips.
KSK's got a current sophomore who started one or two games last years.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I think it's gonna be the same top three as last year. Kahuku, St Louis, and Mililani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:41 pm
KSK's got a current sophomore who started one or two games last years.
@gopunahou: Yeah, that's the kid I was talking about in my earlier post. He was a frosh last year, and they pulled him up from JV to play two games on the vars because starter Yam was injured. I guess he wasn't bad for a freshman, but he's not going to cut it against schools like St Louis, Kahuku, and your alma mater. Hopefully he's a little better now as a soph. Another question is whether Kamehameha's O-line is good enough to protect the QB, whomever he might be. (I'm assuming that that soph has at least some competition at QB. No school has only one QB, right?) They've got good receivers, but if the QB ain't got time to throw due to poor pass protection, or if the QB simply isn't a very good passer...

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Until proven otherwise, I have no issues with St Louis at the top spot.

Like the 2009 Kamehameha team proved, all that matters is putting it all together at the end.

With that being said, I don't see anybody but Big Red and St Louis battling for the Koa trophy. Regardless of how scary Mililani's O looks, imho, they don't have the D to match up with either the Saints or Red Raiders.

But time will tell, this new Open Division will take it's toll on every team.

Good luck to all the boys!!!

RRFL!!!!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:57 am Until proven otherwise, I have no issues with St Louis at the top spot.

Like the 2009 Kamehameha team proved, all that matters is putting it all together at the end.

With that being said, I don't see anybody but Big Red and St Louis battling for the Koa trophy. Regardless of how scary Mililani's O looks, imho, they don't have the D to match up with either the Saints or Red Raiders.

RRFL!!!!
Agree. For high school, previous champs should always have the preseason #1. With this year's Official Open league, the thing that could swing any team is injuries. I don't see the luxury of too many blowouts and 1st stringers sittings. The OIA has always balanced a run/pass attack with more running. The ILH more of quick hit passing. More running means more defensive line injuries,roll ups etc. Plus you know people will be hitting for pride. So I see more of "enduring" the season. Coaches will need to rotate get the other players up to game speed. Good Luck.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:57 am Until proven otherwise, I have no issues with St Louis at the top spot.

RRFL!!!!
@rrforlifebaby: Actually, the '09 Kamehameha team didn't sneak-up on anyone. They were loaded, especially on D. They had kick-butt DEs, LBs, and DBs. On O, they had Ryan Ho at RB. When the season had just begun, guys were already (correctly) picking Kamehameha and your alma mater to play for the state title. Your alma mater's D was almost as good as Kamehameha's that year.

I'm glad you haven't added Punahou as a likely winner of the Koa. (Sorry, gopunahou). I don't really want to see St Louis win it, either. That leaves only your alma mater. Go Red Raiders.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:34 am

RRFL!!!!
@rrforlifebaby: Actually, the '09 Kamehameha team didn't sneak-up on anyone. They were loaded, especially on D. They had kick-butt DEs, LBs, and DBs. On O, they had Ryan Ho at RB. When the season had just begun, guys were already (correctly) picking Kamehameha and your alma mater to play for the state title. Your alma mater's D was almost as good as Kamehameha's that year.

I'm glad you haven't added Punahou as a likely winner of the Koa. (Sorry, gopunahou). I don't really want to see St Louis win it, either. That leaves only your alma mater. Go Red Raiders.
No hard feelings. At least you ain't sounding like Donald Trump's biggest fan (and also a fan of the two schools that hate us the most) on Oahu.

Anyway genks, my honest opinion about my team is that this one reminds of the 2011 edition. We were coming off of two subpar years (mind you, just after our 1st championship season) and needed a new QB. The 2010 team, like the 2017 team, suffered two double digit losses to STL, including one by 35 points (like last year's team). We won the ILH and 4 other games in 2011. If we play like a team on a mission as we did in 2013, we'll give ourselves a better chance of contending.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:34 am

RRFL!!!!

No hard feelings. At least you ain't sounding like Donald Trump's biggest fan (and also a fan of the two schools that hate us the most) on Oahu.

Anyway genks, my honest opinion about my team is that this one reminds of the 2011 edition. We were coming off of two subpar years (mind you, just after our 1st championship season) and needed a new QB. The 2010 team, like the 2017 team, suffered two double digit losses to STL, including one by 35 points (like last year's team). We won the ILH and 4 other games in 2011. If we play like a team on a mission as we did in 2013, we'll give ourselves a better chance of contending.
@gopunahou: Well, I don't like Trump either, so at least we have that in common. As for the two schools that hate Punahou School the most: OK, Iolani has to be one of them, wouldn't you agree? Who's the other? (I'm guessing, St Louis? That's only a guess, because I've heard that also Kahuku and Kamehameha don't care for your alma mater. I'm trying to use the most gentle language possible, as to avoid offending you and other Punahou alumni. Yet, what's out there is what it is, you know?)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Just about kickoff...appreciate the personal insights and knowledge people in this forum are bringing to the discussion table. 2018 looks to be a good season!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kaiser scores the first varsity football touchdown of the 2018 hs season. Having to listen on radio. Congrats Cougars!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Granted Leilehua is without their running back, I shoulda known they'd have trouble on offense. I figured Waipahu would win but just didnt know how their QB would fare. But they had a lot of talent coming back

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:09 am@gopunahou: Well, I don't like Trump either, so at least we have that in common. As for the two schools that hate Punahou School the most: OK, Iolani has to be one of them, wouldn't you agree? Who's the other? (I'm guessing, St Louis? That's only a guess, because I've heard that also Kahuku and Kamehameha don't care for your alma mater. I'm trying to use the most gentle language possible, as to avoid offending you and other Punahou alumni. Yet, what's out there is what it is, you know?)
Yes, he's a fan of St. Louis. I wanted to kill somebody in 2010. LOL, JK! :D

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Waipahu ,with less than 30 suited,beat Waianae decisively. Granted, the Seariders might finish last in the Open this year, but Waipahu certainly has to feel good about their chances for some trophies in a few months.

Kapolei steamrolled outmanned Castle.Kapolei is Open and Castle is D-I, but the Hurricanes seem to have found suitable replacements for all those who transferred out.

I listened to the Kaiser-Aiea game. I think the coaches must have gotten together at the end of regulation and said no OT,can't afford to lose any more players to injury. Between the two,I believe 5 players,all QB's were knocked out of the game.