unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

Games begin next week.This is my preseason rank.

1.Kahuku
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kamehameha
5.St.Louis
6.Campbell
7. Leilehua*
8.Farrington*
9.Kapolei*
10.Waipahu.

I have highlighted the changes from my Way Too Early rank back in the spring with asterisks. Kapolei was the prime mover in this shakeup.Two Hurricanes who have college interest transferred out of Kapolei.Their top two
QB's transferred out to other schools. That's a lot to lose,so I bumped Kapolei down to nine from seven.Leilehua and Farrington move up to seven and eight respectively from their former eight and nine.

Like the OIA-ILH alliance. I will keep track of the wins/losses in the Open division. The ILH has decided to also have a post season playoff to determine the ILH rep for Open states. That evens the playing field as the ILH was going to let the alliance record determine it's champion. That team would have had a layoff while scouting the teams that come out of the OIA. Now,maybe just a one week layoff or none at all depending on how many teams the OIA wants to put in it's postseason qualifying tournament.

I'm ready for some football!

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

This would be my top 10 for the open

1. Saint Louis (Defending back to back state champs)
2. Kahuku (Always finds a way to get there, but with new division it should be interesting)
3. Punahou (Loaded defense and lots of returnees on offense especially O-line and backfield)
4. Mililani (Loaded receiver corp and QB returns. I'm sure York did a great job in recruiting this offseason. LOL jk mililani fans)
5. Kamehameha (Always has talent with size, but can never pull it together. BUT does have a new OC)
6. Campbell (Solid coaching, BUT also recruited like crazy this off season! So we'll see if they can have that chemistry)
7. Farrington (New coaching, should be interesting to see how they come together)
8. Kapolei (Lost a bunch of talent BUT always has the size and standouts. Needs to get it together or it'll be a long season)
9. Waianae (Lots of tough kids that come back, hopefully Waianae can also put it together and bring back the tradition. Might be a long year)
10. Not sure who is number for the middle tier group

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Having heard about today's Punahou-Kaimuki scrimmage, we haven't chosen a QB and will likely audition both Hugh and Kobe. Regardless, we've got to find one to stick with. Otherwise, it'll be similar to our 2007 team, which couldn't choose a rock-solid QB until 3/4ths of the season had passed.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Looking forward to.....

No.1 Kahuku and D-II No.3 Konawaena.

At best,I think Konawaena could give the bottom two teams in the Open division a tough time before losing.I just don't Believe Kahuku loses. The Wildcats will get an idea of what they need to work on to finally get that D-II Koa trophy in November after falling short the past few years.Kahuku for the win.

No.7 Leilehua and No.8 Farrington.

Has Farrington QB Chris Afe recovered from his broken hand? That injury could take many weeks to recover from.My guess is that Afe doesn't play. Leilehua QB Max Nichols should be good to go and has veteran talent at RB and WR to call on. Leilehua for the win.

No.6 Campbell and Hilo. Hilo is not ranked,but they are the defending D-I champions,so this is a game of interest. Campbell has dynamic playmakers at WR and two QB'S who can get the ball to them.This game should be a measuring stick for Hilo to find out where they are at for the season ahead after losing a lot to graduation from last year's squad. Campbell for the win.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Hilo is seriously in a rebuilding year after losing 25 seniors, at least 8 starters on offense and 5 on defense. This preseason game will not be close, just hope they come out of this healthy and prepare for the BIIF season.

Konawaena has returnee's on the O-line and their D should be their strength this year, but replacing Ewing will be a huge task if they want to continue running that spread O. Kahuku's starters will be pulled before the second quarter. Kona needs to stay healthy as well to compete with KS Hawaii this year.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:16 am Games begin next week.This is my preseason rank.

1.Kahuku
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kamehameha
5.St.Louis
6.Campbell
7. Leilehua*
8.Farrington*
9.Kapolei*
10.Waipahu.

I have highlighted the changes from my Way Too Early rank back in the spring with asterisks. Kapolei was the prime mover in this shakeup.Two Hurricanes who have college interest transferred out of Kapolei.Their top two
QB's transferred out to other schools. That's a lot to lose,so I bumped Kapolei down to nine from seven.Leilehua and Farrington move up to seven and eight respectively from their former eight and nine.

Like the OIA-ILH alliance. I will keep track of the wins/losses in the Open division. The ILH has decided to also have a post season playoff to determine the ILH rep for Open states. That evens the playing field as the ILH was going to let the alliance record determine it's champion. That team would have had a layoff while scouting the teams that come out of the OIA. Now,maybe just a one week layoff or none at all depending on how many teams the OIA wants to put in it's postseason qualifying tournament.

I am very interested in seeing how Kam will do against the OIA teams. People are used to them getting beat up by Punahou and STL and I feel they don’t get respect because of that.

Also very interested in Campbell. They are getting lots of hype due to transfers but I am not sold on them yet.

I obviously feel STL is getting disrespected big time in this list but the season is close enough for me to hold my whining to myself till they remind everyone who they are.

I think this is do or die for Mililani. The stars line up for them this season. Both Kahuku and STL have new QBs, Kahuku new coach, STL new defense, while Mililani returns almost its entire offense. If they don’t walk away with the OIA title MINIMUM, they will need to wait for years until they stars align again to have a real shot. They need to show some heart and prove they have that dog in them.

Kapolei probably in for a rough season.

Punahou big question for me. STL would be also, I guess, but I am much more familiar with that program so I’m less worried. Punahou has returnees but those returnees had a bad season last year. They are always dangerous and I have great respect for Punahou. but I don’t think returnees coming off a bad season automatically = strong season coming up, just because they are returnees like most think.

Kam big question on offense. Probably strong defense.

I’d guess Waianae gonna have a tough time on offense.

Waipahu in this list? Did they move up?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 pm
unpaid wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:16 am Games begin next week.This is my preseason rank.

1.Kahuku
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kamehameha
5.St.Louis
6.Campbell
7. Leilehua*
8.Farrington*
9.Kapolei*
10.Waipahu.

I am very interested in seeing how Kam will do against the OIA teams.
People are used to them getting beat up by Punahou and STL and I feel they don’t get respect because of that.

Also very interested in Campbell. They are getting lots of hype due to transfers but I am not sold on them yet.

I obviously feel STL is getting disrespected big time in this list but the season is close enough for me to hold my whining to myself till they remind everyone who they are.

I think this is do or die for Mililani. The stars line up for them this season. Both Kahuku and STL have new QBs, Kahuku new coach, STL new defense, while Mililani returns almost its entire offense. If they don’t walk away with the OIA title MINIMUM, they will need to wait for years until they stars align again to have a real shot. They need to show some heart and prove they have that dog in them.

Punahou big question for me. STL would be also, I guess, but I am much more familiar with that program so I’m less worried. Punahou has returnees but those returnees had a bad season last year. They are always dangerous and I have great respect for Punahou. but I don’t think returnees coming off a bad season automatically = strong season coming up, just because they are returnees like most think.

I wouldn't sleep on them, being that they always do their best when little is expected of them (2009 and 2013). They haven't struggled as much as we did between 1997 and 2004. The gap between STL and KSK was wide. There were some years when Iolani would finish above us. Even more frustrating was the fact Iolani also had more kids who'd play D1 FB than we did in that span. I'd hate to go back to those years just as you and other STL fans would hate to go back to the 2011-2013 era. We might not dominate as much as we did in 2013 but we won't struggle as much as we did between 1997 and 2004.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 am
genks wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 pm

1.Kahuku
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kamehameha
5.St.Louis
6.Campbell
7. Leilehua*
8.Farrington*
9.Kapolei*
10.Waipahu.

I am very interested in seeing how Kam will do against the OIA teams.
People are used to them getting beat up by Punahou and STL and I feel they don’t get respect because of that.

I wouldn't sleep on them, being that they always do their best when little is expected of them (2009 and 2013). They haven't struggled as much as we did between 1997 and 2004. The gap between STL and KSK was wide. There were some years when Iolani would finish above us. Even more frustrating was the fact Iolani also had more kids who'd play D1 FB than we did in that span. I'd hate to go back to those years just as you and other STL fans would hate to go back to the 2011-2013 era. We might not dominate as much as we did in 2013 but we won't struggle as much as we did between 1997 and 2004.
Yeah don’t mean to sleep on them, I seen lots of people rank them pretty low in their personal rankings. This season they have a chance to earn some respect

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

genks,

Yup! Waipahu is in D-I now.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Looking further ahead to 17 August,

The St.Louis- Narbonne game got even more even. According to the LA Times, The Gaucho's won't be able to call on the services of star transfer QB Jake Garcia. Apparently the Los Angeles City Section admins came down with a ruling that Garcia has to sit out the first four weeks of their season after transferring from Long Beach Poly. St.Louis is the first opponent ,so that should even things up.

Three of Narbonne's QB'S from last year transferred out,probably thinking Garcia would get the job.

But wait,there's more. Just like Jayden DeLaura at St.Louis, Narbonne may give the controls to a young man moving up from the Gaucho JV,Jaylen Henderson. According to the LA times article, Narbonne beat St.John Bosco on a long TD pass with seconds left on the clock at a 7-on-7 scrimmage. Henderson apparently made a cool,clutch throw with the game on the line. Take it for what it's worth. 7-on-7 scrimmage , no linemen, but if Henderson can take the rest of camp and take control of the team in those first four weeks, Garcia might be the backup.

Two renowned football schools playing a rematch with new field general's. That will be a great game.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:21 pm Looking further ahead to 17 August,

The St.Louis- Narbonne game got even more even. According to the LA Times, The Gaucho's won't be able to call on the services of star transfer QB Jake Garcia. Apparently the Los Angeles City Section admins came down with a ruling that Garcia has to sit out the first four weeks of their season after transferring from Long Beach Poly. St.Louis is the first opponent ,so that should even things up.

Three of Narbonne's QB'S from last year transferred out,probably thinking Garcia would get the job.

But wait,there's more. Just like Jayden DeLaura at St.Louis, Narbonne may give the controls to a young man moving up from the Gaucho JV,Jaylen Henderson. According to the LA times article, Narbonne beat St.John Bosco on a long TD pass with seconds left on the clock at a 7-on-7 scrimmage. Henderson apparently made a cool,clutch throw with the game on the line. Take it for what it's worth. 7-on-7 scrimmage , no linemen, but if Henderson can take the rest of camp and take control of the team in those first four weeks, Garcia might be the backup.

Two renowned football schools playing a rematch with new field general's. That will be a great game.
Thanks for the info! Please keep it coming, you know a lot about all the mainland teams that are matching up against our Hawaii boys. Very interesting stuff.

I guess sitting out 4 week’s is better than sitting the entire season

One small question for you Unpaid, if you know.....
Who had the logo first, Damien or Mater Dei?

All will be welcome on the Crusader war wagon as it rolls in against Narbonne. Last year was a crazy game, sounds like this year is just as crazy. So excited!!
Last edited by genks on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 pm genks,

Yup! Waipahu is in D-I now.
Respect to them, it will make them tougher

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

1.Kahuku
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.Kamehameha
5.St.Louis
6.Campbell
7. Leilehua*
8.Farrington*
9.Kapolei*
10.Waipahu.

@unpaid: You've got Kamehameha ahead of St Louis? I mean, I like the idea, but could you explain how and why?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

genks,

I do not know the answer as to which school used the interlocking D and M first regarding Damien and Mater Dei logos. Mater Dei opened in 1950 while Damien opened in 1966 depending on who you believe.

HS Football Fanatic,

I mentioned in the Way too early top tens thread that I tended to favor teams with returning All-state players.
Given solid base players in a strong program,the edge is how many guys are good enough to get voting respect from hs HC's. In the spring ,I noted that Kamehameha had five such players coming back to St.Louis' four. I think I shortchanged Kamehameha, because 808football reminded us all that Tiger Peterson has recovered from injuries he was dealing with in 2017....so, to me ,it looks like the Warriors have a 6-4 advantage over the Crusaders in returning all-state players. As for no running back or QB for Kamehameha...I would posit that Reino Bush is capable of rushing the football very well.I admit the QB situation looks bad, but the QB'S didn't look so good either in 2009 when they won their state title. We will see.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:33 pm genks,

I do not know the answer as to which school used the interlocking D and M first regarding Damien and Mater Dei logos. Mater Dei opened in 1950 while Damien opened in 1966 depending on who you believe.

HS Football Fanatic,

I mentioned in the Way too early top tens thread that I tended to favor teams with returning All-state players.
Given solid base players in a strong program,the edge is how many guys are good enough to get voting respect from hs HC's. In the spring ,I noted that Kamehameha had five such players coming back to St.Louis' four. I think I shortchanged Kamehameha, because 808football reminded us all that Tiger Peterson has recovered from injuries he was dealing with in 2017....so, to me ,it looks like the Warriors have a 6-4 advantage over the Crusaders in returning all-state players. As for no running back or QB for Kamehameha...I would posit that Reino Bush is capable of rushing the football very well.I admit the QB situation looks bad, but the QB'S didn't look so good either in 2009 when they won their state title. We will see.
@genks: I'm quite certain that Mater Dei had the interlocking "DM" first. Damien started using it only about 7 years ago or so. Any Damien alumni out there able to confirm?

@unpaid: I would love to see Kamehameha beat St Louis. There are only two schools that I don't want to see beat St Louis: Punahou and Mililani. But, I suspect it's not as simple as determining how many all-state players each school returns; we need to look at how good those all-state players are. As for Kamehameha RB Bush, I've never even heard of him. Finally, I would submit that Kamehameha's QB situation is precisely as bad as we might imagine. In '09, they had TC Campbell. He was in fact a very capable QB, especially when you consider that we're talking about Kamehameha, which isn't known as a QB school such as St Louis, Mililani, or Leilehua. He was better than last year's QB, Boogie Yam, who wasn't so shabby himself. (Yam's problem was that he was inconsistent.) TC Campbell could pass and run better than Yam, and he was more consistent.