2018 QB Battle: who wins?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Who is Hawaii's starting QB at the END of the 2018 football season?

Cole McDonald
10%
Jeremy Moussa
5%
Chevan Cordeiro
45%
Justin Uahinui
5%
Larry Tuileta
10%
Kolney Cassel
15%
Other?
10%

Total votes: 20

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018 QB Battle: who wins?

Post by HawaiianHogster »

No need hurry in deciding who starts. You want to make sure the guy is the right one. You need to see how each QB improved over the summer. Who studied the most. Who understands the offense the most. Who is respected by the team the most. Who is the best leader. When they do decide who is the starting QB it would benefit the team and the QB to have at least 10 days of starter reps before the first game. That would give each QB 5 days to prove they are the best one for the job this coming fall camp.

Whoever the backup is needs some good reps to in case of injury or the starter doesn't pan out as expected. Worse case scenario you play two QB's your first game. I've seen several teams do this especially when they are winning by several TD's in the fourth qtr. or sooner. One plays first half and the other plays second half. Then by your first conference game you should know for sure who the starter is.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

HawaiianHogster wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:19 pm No need hurry in deciding who starts. You want to make sure the guy is the right one. You need to see how each QB improved over the summer. Who studied the most. Who understands the offense the most. Who is respected by the team the most. Who is the best leader. When they do decide who is the starting QB it would benefit the team and the QB to have at least 10 days of starter reps before the first game. That would give each QB 5 days to prove they are the best one for the job this coming fall camp.

Whoever the backup is needs some good reps to in case of injury or the starter doesn't pan out as expected. Worse case scenario you play two QB's your first game. I've seen several teams do this especially when they are winning by several TD's in the fourth qtr. or sooner. One plays first half and the other plays second half. Then by your first conference game you should know for sure who the starter is.
Sadly our first conference game is also our first game. I think you have to go with McDonald the entire game unless we get blown out badly. Then those next four non-conference games we can play around with other arms unless Cole really solidifies his spot. Never really thought about it till now about how having that CSU game first changes things a little bit

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Good point. But, if McDonald wins the game, and it's an offensive type of win, meaning a score, passing TD, etc, and not a defense interception or fumble for a TD win, then how can Rolo not start McDonald in game 2, 3, etc, unless production drop off badly. I like to see Rolo pick one guy and live and die with him. Commitment need to go both ways. Rolo give him the confidence, and he need to deliver.

I totally understand the best man for the job. Football players today are like kids today. Well, they are kids today. If they don't start, they will be salty and demand a transfer. That seem to be the trend for QB. Play or transfer school.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 am Good point. But, if McDonald wins the game, and it's an offensive type of win, meaning a score, passing TD, etc, and not a defense interception or fumble for a TD win, then how can Rolo not start McDonald in game 2, 3, etc, unless production drop off badly. I like to see Rolo pick one guy and live and die with him. Commitment need to go both ways. Rolo give him the confidence, and he need to deliver.

I totally understand the best man for the job. Football players today are like kids today. Well, they are kids today. If they don't start, they will be salty and demand a transfer. That seem to be the trend for QB. Play or transfer school.
I'd like to see them commit to one guy too, but it has to be the right guy. That's my concern right now with Cole...cause he's known more for his running ability than his passing. From high school to the brief appearances he's made for UH, he's a much better fit for a RPO type system than the run-and-shoot. That's what he was originally recruited for. I question his fit for this system. If we're going to commit to one QB, commit to the QB with the arm talent and upside to be good long term (Moussa or Cordeiro).

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Don't be afraid to play freshman as long as they are mature enough and strong enough to handle it. Playing plenty freshman allows you to build for the future.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

in 2016 Rolo went with Woolsey first, with Dru Brown doing cleanup duty and it went this way into the first bye week, in which Dru took over the job for the next 1.75 seasons. I think a similar thing may happen here while CM is the starter at first while one of the new QB's gets an extra 3-4 weeks of preparation.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

poidog wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 pm in 2016 Rolo went with Woolsey first, with Dru Brown doing cleanup duty and it went this way into the first bye week, in which Dru took over the job for the next 1.75 seasons. I think a similar thing may happen here while CM is the starter at first while one of the new QB's gets an extra 3-4 weeks of preparation.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this too. Cole plays vs. CSU, Navy, Rice, Army...probably finishes 1-3, and then one of the freshman QBs gets Duquesne as a warm up before the bulk of conference play.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

J-Rod wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:36 am
poidog wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 pm in 2016 Rolo went with Woolsey first, with Dru Brown doing cleanup duty and it went this way into the first bye week, in which Dru took over the job for the next 1.75 seasons. I think a similar thing may happen here while CM is the starter at first while one of the new QB's gets an extra 3-4 weeks of preparation.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this too. Cole plays vs. CSU, Navy, Rice, Army...probably finishes 1-3, and then one of the freshman QBs gets Duquesne as a warm up before the bulk of conference play.
It seems like a fair way to go. it gives Cole 4 games to prove himself and is also a better strategy than throwing in an inexperienced qb too soon and wrecking their confidence. Dru got to build his confidence against 2nd string defenses during cleanup duty and I think that was better than any reps in practice.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I thought Rolo went with Woolsey because there was no one better. So UH when to get Dru Brown. Dru Brown pretty much got off the plane and then put on a UH helmet.

Not exactly that, but I'm guessing if Brown signed early and had a full camp, no doubt he would have started at Day 1 of the season - instead of Woolsey.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:10 am I thought Rolo went with Woolsey because there was no one better.
That's what was said publicly, but being that Woolsey didn't win the job in spring camp I felt like he was only holding the job temporarily so the new guy could learn the system well enough to take over, and that's what happened. this past spring was similar in that CM was the 1st string guy, but he wasn't announced as the starting qb at the end of camp. we heard a lot about Uahinui and Moussa - we probably don't hear as much about those guys if CM had the job secured.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Rolo wants to use our quarterbacks running abilities also to create more problems for defenses. We may need all of them. He said he thought about doing it last year with Brown. Should be interesting to see who stands tall at the end of the season. No mo Chow ball. Time to go for broke.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

RedZone wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:50 pm Rolo wants to use our quarterbacks running abilities also to create more problems for defenses. We may need all of them. He said he thought about doing it last year with Brown.
The player that I was impress with a few years ago was (sort of local) Anu Solomon, during his prime in Arizona.

I believe UH wanted to sign him too, when he lost his starting job - took too many hits to the head. AZ knew he was "not the same guy" anymore.

Anu eventually withdraw from Baylor (school all together) due to concussion. That's too bad, because he was awesome (at Arizona).

Given today's concussion theories, I wonder if young guys coming up would prefer to be more traditional drop back QB, vs the dual threat type.