shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Who should attend the MWC preseason conference in Vegas

Post by shrek2 »

This hopefully will help Rolo decide on who to take to the MWC football preseason hype in Las Vegas. Last season Dru Brown was selected. Losing choice. Jahlani Tavai was selected, good choice. How about taking one of the offensive linemen like Asotui Eli and if not Jahlani Tavai, take Malachi Mageo. Of course I have no idea where their heads are at now but the players going to the conference should be bleeding green not bull shitters.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Who should attend the MWC preseason conference in Vegas

Post by Neighbor »

Well apparently Asotui Eli isn't playing this year cause of injury. I doubt Jahlani goes just cause of the looming misdemeanor charge. idk this is another tough year as far a senior leadership goes. I know they have their "leadership council" but I think the upperclassmen on it are guys like Dayton Furuta, Noa Borden or Tevarua Eldridge; who are great kids but don't necessarily get to lead with their on-field game performance. No guys like RJ Hollis or Kema Kaleiwahea

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I didn't know about Asotui Eli's injury. I'd like to see one of the blue collar guys on the offensive/defensive line going. I could see John Ursua representing Hawaii even though he's an underclassman. I heard one of the national broadcasters at one of the games saying that he was an engaging young man in a game before his injury. With his experience in France, he makes a good local boy with a worldly outlook.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

My vote would be for SB John Ursua, if Asotui Eli's is really out for the year with an injury. God I hope that is not true. The other rep I would want to see is LB Solomon Matautia. Given that Tavai is currently suspended from team activities I believe Solomon makes the most sense. Another possibility would be DB Kalen Hicks. He has overcome a lot to be in this position of being a starting DB for UH, plus he is a local Las Vegas guy.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Kaiwi Chung and Zeno Choi.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Ursua has been cleared, so him and Tavai seem like the obvious answers.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

J-Rod wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 pm Ursua has been cleared, so him and Tavai seem like the obvious answers.
I totally agree with this but I have no idea why Tavai is kept out of activities because of his pending misdemeanor. Couple of juniors were mentioned including Kalen Hicks. The one thing I have about underclassmen is that they have put in their time with the Warrior system and/or is committed to UH. I was just looking at Dany Mulanga who is a RsSr and his numbers went drastically down from his freshman year from 40 tackles, starting 4 games to his junior year 5 tackles with only 7 games on special teams (OT but looking at seniors.) I really don't see any linemen that play with a chip on their shoulder but tempers under control. I think that Choi will be a pleasant surprise on the field this year but still needs some maturing in terms of leadership. Jahlani Tavai is the best rep for Hawaii.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

thing with Tavai is if he goes to media day, he's gonna have to answer a lot of repeat questions about the arrest. How about sending Ro Farris?

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

send zeno.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Maui Boy in Alaska wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:52 pm My vote would be for SB John Ursua,
kalua pig wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:22 pm send zeno.
http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... dia-event/

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 pm
Maui Boy in Alaska wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:52 pm My vote would be for SB John Ursua,
kalua pig wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:22 pm send zeno.
http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... dia-event/
you already know cuz.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

That kinda sucks. They gotta be in Vegas July 24–25 and then Fall Camp opens July 26

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Ursua is obvious. UH need to promote him. And he will deliver next year.

Choi I think it's a good choice. UH once was the showcase on players from the Pacific. Now, everyone knows about the talent of the Pacific Islanders. In fact, many now live on the mainland, and many are born and raised, with no connection to Hawaii or their native roots. Ok, maybe an uncle or dad once lived in Hawaii.

If UH wants to show case the multi-ethnic, and be the pride of Pacific, then Choi would grab a lot of attention. Are there any Koreans in D1 football?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 am Ursua is obvious. UH need to promote him. And he will deliver next year.

Choi I think it's a good choice. UH once was the showcase on players from the Pacific. Now, everyone knows about the talent of the Pacific Islanders. In fact, many now live on the mainland, and many are born and raised, with no connection to Hawaii or their native roots. Ok, maybe an uncle or dad once lived in Hawaii.

If UH wants to show case the multi-ethnic, and be the pride of Pacific, then Choi would grab a lot of attention. Are there any Koreans in D1 football?
He might be the first Korean to make big time football. Dat Nguyen was the first Vietnamese to make it big time in football playing for Texas A&M, then going on to play for the Dallas Cowboys for seven years as a 5'11" linebacker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dat_Nguyen

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Race should not matter. But at times it should be pointed out.

When I was in school, a few of my (part) Hawaiian friends have Chinese last names. Sometimes, kind of confusing when the teacher read out the names like on the first day of school.

Yes, I remember Dat Nguyen. His parents and siblings are from Vietnam, but he was born in the USA. All the Texas T-bone steaks probably made him bigger than his parents.

Same with Jeremy Lin (NBA player).

That's true with many local Asians. With each generation, guys are almost always taller than their father. Must be the plate lunch with Spam.