Way too early top ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top ten

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:12 pm Definitely way too early, but the one thing I absolutely disagree with, just my opinion, is putting Kamehameha as high as you did. Crusaders may have lost a lot, but it is St Louis, with the Lee brothers, its always reload. I know many of us in Red Raider Nation were thinking we had states with the loss of Tua, but many of us were still wary because we knew Chevan was no slouch coming into last season.

As always, I like Big Red's chances again this year. This goes without saying, but barring any injuries or transfers, this years edition of Big Red D could be another special group. I'm just praying there won't be any distractions with coaching and admin or coaches and coaches.
@rrforlifebaby: Agree regarding Kamehameha. I think they belong at #8. All they have on O are receivers, with no QB good enough to get the ball to them reliably. What good are decent receivers, if you ain't got a decent QB. It's like having a musclecar, but no gasoline.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

This schedule benefits all teams. Different looks, different problems to solve, different gamepland and strategies, etc. I love it I’m very excited

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 pm This schedule benefits all teams. Different looks, different problems to solve, different gamepland and strategies, etc. I love it I’m very excited
@genks: What I like about it is that it takes away the league barrier. Now, teams of the same caliber can take each other on, islandwide. Doesn't matter whether you're ILH or OIA. This way, an OIA school like, say, Kahuku, can tell an ILH school like, say, Punahou, "Bring it on." Neither school has to worry about making States before rumbling with each other.

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

Actually the new STL QB is a better overall athlete then his previous predecessors he would be one of the top DB/Wr in the state if he wasn’t such a good Qb but he still needs to prove himself on the field !!! You never know not all great athletes make good QBs but anyone who’s ever seen this kid dunk a basketball throw a pass or make a one handed catch would very impressed

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

DA SCOUT wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am Actually the new STL QB is a better overall athlete then his previous predecessors he would be one of the top DB/Wr in the state if he wasn’t such a good Qb but he still needs to prove himself on the field !!! You never know not all great athletes make good QBs but anyone who’s ever seen this kid dunk a basketball throw a pass or make a one handed catch would very impressed
@DA SCOUT: Well, this sounds like very good news for St Louis alumni, and very bad news for Punahou alumni. At least one other guy on this message-board posted about the QB, De Laura.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

DA SCOUT wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am Actually the new STL QB is a better overall athlete then his previous predecessors he would be one of the top DB/Wr in the state if he wasn’t such a good Qb but he still needs to prove himself on the field !!! You never know not all great athletes make good QBs but anyone who’s ever seen this kid dunk a basketball throw a pass or make a one handed catch would very impressed
Very interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing him out there.

I remember seeing a video of Chevan running a route and going up to make a one handed catch over a DB last year. Good to hear Delaura is also a great athlete. He had last year to learn the offense and I’m sure he was paying attention to the all the other team’s defense schemes while on the sidelines

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Just by looking at the ILH open dates, Punahou/St.Louis should be Aug.31 weekend. Pun/Kam Sept.28. Kam/StL Oct.13. Interesting. Again just looking at the existing schedule and the open date slots.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm Just by looking at the ILH open dates, Punahou/St.Louis should be Aug.31 weekend. Pun/Kam Sept.28. Kam/StL Oct.13. Interesting. Again just looking at the existing schedule and the open date slots.
@Markeke: Of those three games, only the St Louis v Punahou game will be competitive, especially if St Louis QB De Laura is as good as guys on this message-board have been saying.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Came across an old football article from November. It featured a photo of Kahuku RB Lefau. He'll be a senior this coming season, and he's 5'10" and 220 lbs. Kind of like an LB playing RB. On one of these threads, we were talking about old-school, late-'70s type, huge RBs. Lefau appears to fit that mold. Lefau had four TDs during reg season, and four more during playoffs. Another guy on one of these threads talked about large power-backs. Again, Lefau seems to be one of those. So, looks like Kahuku will have a big power-back for its run game.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:12 pm
Markeke wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm Just by looking at the ILH open dates, Punahou/St.Louis should be Aug.31 weekend. Pun/Kam Sept.28. Kam/StL Oct.13. Interesting. Again just looking at the existing schedule and the open date slots.
@Markeke: Of those three games, only the St Louis v Punahou game will be competitive, especially if St Louis QB De Laura is as good as guys on this message-board have been saying.
Actually the Punahou/STL. would be sandwiched in between Mililani and Kahuku for StL. That the meat of the new open. As much as teams like Waianae and Farrington will not be as offensively blessed, they can be physical and tax the opposing team with injuries. This season will be too close to call. I think by the end of the 1st week of September, we will get a much clearer picture.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:54 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:12 pm
Actually the Punahou/STL. would be sandwiched in between Mililani and Kahuku for StL. That the meat of the new open. As much as teams like Waianae and Farrington will not be as offensively blessed, they can be physical and tax the opposing team with injuries. This season will be too close to call. I think by the end of the 1st week of September, we will get a much clearer picture.
@Markeke: That's bad news for St Louis. The thing about run-oriented schools with big O-lines, of course, is that they are very physical. I don't know how big Mililani's O-line will be, but Kahuku's O-line is always huge. When a school has big O-linemen who fire-out to run-block, it tends to wear-down the other school's defensive front-seven, not just the down-linemen. After all, if those huge hogs knock the other school's down-linemen on their butts, they're looking to clean-out the LBs as well. If St Louis will have the best D in the state, Kahuku's O-line will surely make it a point to make the defensive front-seven pay. It would be as if Kahuku's O-line were to tell St Louis' defensive front-seven, "Here we come. What are you going to do about it? Gonna make you pay!" It probably would have been even worse for St Louis if they played Kahuku first.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

The name of the game this season is who will be the most healthiest team come October. Solid schedule! Super excited for this season. Finally the best against the best. It will be very physical for the ILH teams, but can OIA defenses cover the offensive schemes of the ILH. Huge advantage for the OIA will be the ILH schools will all play at the OIA home fields every week.

1. Saint Louis
(Returning State Champs, reloaded as usual. Lose a lot of starters but, with 100 kids at each football level, I'm sure they have the cream of the crop still. C'mon guys, it's Cal Lee. Everyone gets in if you play football. Faatui Tuitele and Jordan Botehlo will lead the defense, new QB is a stud from what I hear. It'll still be tough to stop this group. Their receiver corp looks solid!)

2. Mililani
(Only placing them this high because Gabriel returns and is probably one of the best QBs in the state this year. Solid receiver corp as usual. They don't need a rb if they can sling it like Gabriel can. But with this new schedule, can they still put up 40 points a game? Defense has always been suspect! But with the transfer rule gone, Mililani can go back to "attracting" kids to come to their school from all over the island. Heard the school to transfer too if you're not from Kahuku is either Mililani or Campbell.)

3. Kahuku
(They lose SolJay as a QB, but lets be real. That won't effect the Red Raiders. They were never known for passing the ball, they will go back to the old ground and pound. Physical offense. Only difference this year is that the schedule is a lot stronger. So no more 70-0 blowout games by them which would cause the backups to play. We'll see how healthy they will be come playoffs. Red Raiders will be as loaded as can be going into the new year.)

4. Punahou
(This is an interesting team this year because on paper, they should be really good. Majority of OLine returns, all Receivers return except one. They return their speedy running back and their power guy who is fast as well who is also gaining national attention I think he's 6'2 230? They have a QB battle, but from what I saw last year. Brady was better anyway, so their in better hands this year. Defensively they lose their 2 Dline guys, but return everyone else including Oregon offer Marist Liufau and National Recruit Maninoa Tufono at Linebacker. But STL has been their kryptonite the last few years so we'll see how they do this year.

5. Campbell
(New coach, new culture and they have been doing well since then. But from what I hear, there are a lot of kids transferring over to Campbell including from Kahuku. So we'll see how that pans out for this team as far as chemistry to go against the powerhouse programs.)

6. Kamehameha
(Still struggling, only difference is I hear they have a new OC. But with no QB this year. I'm not sure how they'll do. They have a solid receiver who will be a junior was their play maker all last season, but I'm not expecting much from these guys. Talented team as always, but can never pull through. Then again this is against ILH Competition so maybe against OIA they can score more points? Who knows)

7. Kapolei
8. Farrington
9. Waianae

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ka'ahupahau706: You have St Louis and Mililani ranked ahead of Kahuku? Most other guys have Kahuku ranked first. OK, all you other guys out there: Which school do you think is #1, and why? (I prefer Kahuku High to both St Louis School and Mililani High, so I'm hoping to see reasons why Kahuku should be #1.)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am 4. Punahou
(This is an interesting team this year because on paper, they should be really good. Majority of OLine returns, all Receivers return except one. They return their speedy running back and their power guy who is fast as well who is also gaining national attention I think he's 6'2 230? They have a QB battle, but from what I saw last year. Brady was better anyway, so their in better hands this year. Defensively they lose their 2 Dline guys, but return everyone else including Oregon offer Marist Liufau and National Recruit Maninoa Tufono at Linebacker. But STL has been their kryptonite the last few years so we'll see how they do this year.
It helps that both of our QBs are talented underclassmen, but it'd suck if there is a QB controversy. Avoiding injuries can help us stay in contention longer than we did last year, when injuries ravaged us. I think Kennedy Freeman will be our leader at D-Line.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

We all have our own opinions of how teams rank, but I do try to inform myself on what hs coaches think about who has the best returning impact player numbers based on how they voted on media all-state teams. These coaches can see which players from other schools pass the eye test. Most programs that regularly appear in the top ten also have a number of solid role players who do not make all-state teams.So,all things being equal on solid base players, I tend to favor teams who have a large number of all-state returnees. Any tiebreakers are based on recent had to head results. So......

Kahuku is loaded with seven guys who meets the all-state criteria to go with good numbers of solid athletes. They are my preseason number one. Mililani also has seven all-staters,but Kahuku beat them last year. My numbers suggest Kahuku will beat Mililani this coming fall too.

Punahou has six all-state talents returning to complement the Buffanblu squad,so I put them at two.

Kamehameha has five all-state players returning, compared to St. Louis' four, hence my placing Kamehameha at four and St.Louis at five.