Siuaki Livai - Farrington????

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Siuaki Livai - Farrington????

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Anybody else hear that Livai is the front runner for the Gov's head coach position?

Will be scary for the rest of the OIA (including Big Red) if true.

RRFL!!!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Siuaki Livai - Farrington????

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:27 pm Anybody else hear that Livai is the front runner for the Gov's head coach position?

Will be scary for the rest of the OIA (including Big Red) if true.

RRFL!!!!

@rrforlifebaby: Isn't Livai teaching at Kahuku High? Or, has he retired? I know that some teachers at public high-schools coach at private high-schools. But, to coach another public high-school? And, especially the biggest high-school sport, football? If Livai is still teaching at Kahuku High, if I were he I would turn-down the job. And, even if he does take the job, I don't think Kahuku has to worry excessively. I think Kahuku High has superior talent. I don't think Farrington could beat Kahuku; at least, not this coming season. Kahuku is loaded this coming season. I like Kahuku High; I know they're good in football every year, but I don't resent it. I like Farrington High, too, but I like Kahuku High more.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I think there's several coaches in football and in other sports who teach at one school and coach at a different school (after being let go as coach at the other school), but are now assistants, I guess. I think Amosa was doing that during his short time with Kapolei last year. I think the previous Castle coach still has his job there and was coaching with Aiea last year. But of course going from Kahuku to Farrington every day is a different story.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:24 pm@rrforlifebaby: Isn't Livai teaching at Kahuku High? Or, has he retired? I know that some teachers at public high-schools coach at private high-schools. But, to coach another public high-school? And, especially the biggest high-school sport, football? If Livai is still teaching at Kahuku High, if I were he I would turn-down the job. And, even if he does take the job, I don't think Kahuku has to worry excessively. I think Kahuku High has superior talent. I don't think Farrington could beat Kahuku; at least, not this coming season. Kahuku is loaded this coming season. I like Kahuku High; I know they're good in football every year, but I don't resent it. I like Farrington High, too, but I like Kahuku High more.
Are you seriously saying that if a head coach of any sport isn't offered(or fired from) the head coaching position at the school they're teaching at -- especially if it's also the school they graduated from -- that they should just give up coaching that sport for the rest of their lives, football most of all? Am I reading you right? That's a pretty hard line to take from a guy who won't even tell us what high school he graduated from.

I have a few friends who teach or taught at our alma mater who moved on to coach at other schools, western conference rivals no less, because of various reasons. A few of them led their new schools to several OIA titles and one state title, which must've stung a bit for our alma mater seeing as how they probably could've retained them as coaches if they just tried a little harder.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:24 pm@rrforlifebaby: Isn't Livai teaching at Kahuku High? Or, has he retired? I know that some teachers at public high-schools coach at private high-schools. But, to coach another public high-school? And, especially the biggest high-school sport, football? If Livai is still teaching at Kahuku High, if I were he I would turn-down the job. And, even if he does take the job, I don't think Kahuku has to worry excessively. I think Kahuku High has superior talent. I don't think Farrington could beat Kahuku; at least, not this coming season. Kahuku is loaded this coming season. I like Kahuku High; I know they're good in football every year, but I don't resent it. I like Farrington High, too, but I like Kahuku High more.
Are you seriously saying that if a head coach of any sport isn't offered(or fired from) the head coaching position at the school they're teaching at -- especially if it's also the school they graduated from -- that they should just give up coaching that sport for the rest of their lives, football most of all? Am I reading you right? That's a pretty hard line to take from a guy who won't even tell us what high school he graduated from.

I have a few friends who teach or taught at our alma mater who moved on to coach at other schools, western conference rivals no less, because of various reasons. A few of them led their new schools to several OIA titles and one state title, which must've stung a bit for our alma mater seeing as how they probably could've retained them as coaches if they just tried a little harder.
@bandits1: No; I said if he's still teaching at Kahuku High, I wouldn't recommend that he coach Farrington High. If he's retired, then I would say, go ahead. It's not a "hard line" at all, in the sense that no one should ever refuse such advice. Obviously, Livai can do whatever he wants. I'm just saying what I would recommend. And yes, you called me "weak" and "hypocrite" for not revealing my alma mater. Guilty as charged. By the way, there are indeed schools on this island who are not treating their coaches well. I'm talking about both public and private schools. How do I know? I know personally two coaches who were victims of such treatment. One coached at a public school, the other at a private school. The public-school coach was let-go about six years ago, the private-school coach was let-go more recently. In both cases, the coaches were willing to continue, but the AD at each school made continuing "impossible." To protect the privacy and dignity of those coaches, I'm not going to mention their names, or the schools they coached, or the sports they coached. I'm mentioning this to verify your comment that if only schools just tried a little harder to retain coaches, those coaches might stay.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:25 pm@bandits1: No; I said if he's still teaching at Kahuku High, I wouldn't recommend that he coach Farrington High. If he's retired, then I would say, go ahead. It's not a "hard line" at all, in the sense that no one should ever refuse such advice. Obviously, Livai can do whatever he wants. I'm just saying what I would recommend.
Let's see if I got it straight this time -- if a coach teaches at his alma mater and that school has no intention to ever hire him as the head coach of his sport, but another school makes him an offer, your advice to him/her would be to never head coach their sport again until they either transfer schools or retire from teaching, however many years or decades that may be, rather than accept the head coaching job at the other school. Doubly so if his/her sport is football. Is that correct?

I'd agree that if one has an opportunity to teach and/or coach at one's alma mater and things are close to equal with opportunities at other schools -- salary, work environment, etc... -- then I'd want to see them "stay at home". But if your alma mater won't give you the opportunity or takes it away, then I'd say feel free to go coach at another school. You're already teaching at your alma mater which is the important part since academics > athletics, so clear conscience all the way.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:25 pm@bandits1: No; I said if he's still teaching at Kahuku High, I wouldn't recommend that he coach Farrington High. If he's retired, then I would say, go ahead. It's not a "hard line" at all, in the sense that no one should ever refuse such advice. Obviously, Livai can do whatever he wants. I'm just saying what I would recommend.
Let's see if I got it straight this time -- if a coach teaches at his alma mater and that school has no intention to ever hire him as the head coach of his sport, but another school makes him an offer, your advice to him/her would be to never head coach their sport again until they either transfer schools or retire from teaching, however many years or decades that may be, rather than accept the head coaching job at the other school. Doubly so if his/her sport is football. Is that correct?

I'd agree that if one has an opportunity to teach and/or coach at one's alma mater and things are close to equal with opportunities at other schools -- salary, work environment, etc... -- then I'd want to see them "stay at home". But if your alma mater won't give you the opportunity or takes it away, then I'd say feel free to go coach at another school. You're already teaching at your alma mater which is the important part since academics > athletics, so clear conscience all the way.
@bandits1: First of all, I don't know Livai's alma mater. Let's suppose, for argument's sake, that Livai is a Kahuku alumnus. Let's also suppose, for argument's sake, that he's still teaching there. OK, Farrington offers him their football HC job. Yes, I'd advise him to turn it down. You're assuming that no other school will ever make him an offer, and that he'll therefore never be able to coach again. We can't make that assumption, right? And besides, if Livai retires, and Farrington makes him that offer again, yes: Then I'd advise him to take it. The reason I'd give him all that advice is that it would be very awkward to be teaching at Kahuku, and at the same time be football HC at Farrington. What would make it even more awkward is that both schools are in D1, which means they'd likely play each other. That's all I'm saying. Now, if Farrington were to offer Livai the golf HC job, I'd advise that he take it, whether he's retired or not. I mean, there aren't going to be Kahuku fans at the golf course. But in football? Could you imagine if Livai were still teaching at Kahuku, and Kahuku happens to play Farrington, and there Livai is, wearing a Farrington coach's shirt, on Farrington's sideline? But again, Livai can do whatever he wants. He doesn't have to heed my advice. I was just saying.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Awkward for who.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm Awkward for who.
@Neighbor: Awkward for Livai. Imagine the scenario: Let's say he's still teaching at Kahuku High. He's taken the football HC position at Farrington High. It's Friday night or Saturday night, and Farrington is playing Kahuku, as they're both D1. Livai is wearing a Farrington coach's shirt, and he's on Farrington's sideline, and he's not there only as an assistant coach. He's there as HC, so he's running the show there on Farrington's sideline. Seeing as it's a vars game, there's a fairly large turnout of fans for both schools. Not only is Livai coaching against the school he's teaching at; what if some of his students are on Kahuku's team? Now he's also coaching against his own students. If Livai is also a Kahuku alumnus, what are Kahuku alumni and fans at the game supposed to think? If all of that isn't awkward, I don't know what is.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I'm really not sure, but I guess he can still teach at Kahuku and coach Farrington. Might be awkward for a little while, but our admin didn't want him back as our head coach, so it's on them. If he is going to coach there and he stays there for awhile, I can see the Governors becoming serious contenders again.

RRFL!!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Kahuku's school website still shows Livai listed as a teacher there. Hell of a commute if he continues to teach there and get to Farrington for practices same day. Maybe Farrington might have offered him a teaching position as well?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 am I'm really not sure, but I guess he can still teach at Kahuku and coach Farrington. Might be awkward for a little while, but our admin didn't want him back as our head coach, so it's on them. If he is going to coach there and he stays there for awhile, I can see the Governors becoming serious contenders again.

RRFL!!
[/quote

@rrforlifebaby: Oh, he can; there's nothing illegal about it or anything. It's just the awkwardness of it. There are politics in high schools, as there are in any workplace. My3Cats said Livai is still teaching at Kahuku High. I wonder if there's already a little bit of awkwardness as it is, seeing as Admin didn't want him back as coach, yet as a teacher he still has to work with and is under Admin. If he went ahead and became Farrington football HC, I'd imagine that that would increase the awkwardness.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

My3Cats wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 am Kahuku's school website still shows Livai listed as a teacher there. Hell of a commute if he continues to teach there and get to Farrington for practices same day. Maybe Farrington might have offered him a teaching position as well?
@My3Cats: That would depend on how badly they want him. Not just that; is there a teaching position open at Farrington? Years ago, when he was Kahuku HC, the local paper did a feature on him. The article said he was a math teacher at Kahuku. So now the question is: Not only is there a teaching position open at Farrington, but is it a math position?

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Maybe longtime position coach Malo Torres. (2009-2013)?under coach to Okimoto. If Okimoto goes ad, great catch. Plus Malo got the old school top hat and cane tat to his left bicep. Malo bleeds maroon because of the extra pounding as a housing kid.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 pm Maybe longtime position coach Malo Torres. (2009-2013)?under coach to Okimoto. If Okimoto goes ad, great catch. Plus Malo got the old school top hat and cane tat to his left bicep. Malo bleeds maroon because of the extra pounding as a housing kid.
@Markeke: Will Okimoto move-up to AD? I thought he was stepping-down to devote more time to his son? Seems being the AD would take just as much time as being coach. And, yeah, I prefer Farrington High's old top-hat and walking cane. The "G" is too much like Georgia. Besides, "G" isn't Farrington's initial; it's their nickname initial. I know Farrington was using the "G" on their helmets as early as '70. I recall seeing a photo of Onosai Tanuvasa in the paper that year, and he had that "G" on his helmet.