unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am Makoa is the head man, but I think there is more going on that pretty much puts him in the position of caretaker. I think he's a great guy who was put in a spot. I love my alma mater, but why anyone would want to coach Big Red is beyond me.....too much drama.

I think Paul Ah Yat has done an incredible job in bringing Sol-Jay along. As long as Sol-Jay stays humble, sky's the limit for this kid. Hopefully he heals up to 100% come game time.

As far as the OC, you would figure that being an all star lineman himself, the oline would be much better and more complex in their run blocking. Like others have mentioned, the Waianae game would've been over at 3 to 0 with a power running game.
RRFL
@rrforlifebaby: Yeah, I would agree that being Kahuku HC is drama city. But then, the same could be said for being St Louis HC. If I'm not mistaken, Freitas is a Kamehameha alumnus, so why he takes all that pressure and drama to be another school's HC, is beyond me. But, the same could be said for Cal Lee, right? Lee is a Kalani alumnus, but he elects to be HC of another school, St Louis, with all the pressure and drama that entails. Perhaps it's all because those two HCs are attracted to schools with very good football teams. Kahuku and St Louis are two of the best football schools in the state, but their alumni can be really rabid. I mean, they take loving one's alma mater to extremes, some of them.

Against St Louis, yeah: I agree that Kahuku should go with the run game. Of course, that's not to say they shouldn't pass the ball at all, especially when the OC spots a weakness in St Louis' D somewhere, or when it's third-and-long. A time-consuming run-game would eat clock, keeping Cordeiro and Quinn off the field. But when Cordeiro and Quinn are on the field, Kahuku's D needs to make it a point to get into their heads, big-time. Hopefully, at the very least, Kahuku's defensive front-seven can disrupt Cordeiro's timing. Seeing as St Louis' O is so pass-heavy, I would love to see a Kahuku DB pick Cordeiro off and take it all the way to the house. Like, that would be electrifying, a real kick in the pants. Kahuku's DBs are pretty good, so here's hoping.
The only drama that can equal that of Kahuku's the ILH's Big Three.
@gopunahou: Well, Kamehameha and Punahou (your alma mater), have been football powers--especially Punahou--over the last decade. However, I don't see Punahou's and Kamehameha's alumni as being rabid. St Louis' alumni, yes. It's just certain schools, it seems to me. I mean, every school's alumni want their alma mater's football team to do well, but some schools' alumni as a whole, I don't notice a whole lot of fire in the belly. Besides, the line between eager and rabid is sometimes very fine.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 pm You can bet St. Louis will go with an empty backfield on many possessions. The question is can Kahuku stop that?
@gopunahou: You would hope they could. I mean, for me it's very frustrating to see St Louis having the success they're having, with virtually no run game. To me, it's almost annoying, like it shouldn't be happening somehow. I mean, lots of schools run the ball all night, and have virtually no pass game. But to see the obverse, is quite rare. gopunahou, we both want Kahuku to win. Thank goodness Kahuku has a good D; at least we can hope that they might be able to do something about St Louis Airlines. LB Ah You needs to have a monster game. He needs to be in Cordeiro's face-mask on as many plays as he can. And, when he can get his paws on him, he needs to get into his head. Kahuku's defensive front-seven, as a unit, needs to throw-off Cordeiro's timing, make him unload the ball sooner than he'd like. Would that they could all get into his head. Of course, a lot of it will depend on Kahuku's DC, too. There's something almost arrogant about St Louis' O, like: "We're gonna throw the ball on almost every down; what are you gonna do about it?" I sure hope Kahuku's DC and defensive front-seven can find a way to somehow make St Louis' pass game eat it. An empty St Louis backfield on almost every play is almost like a taunt. If you can, Kahuku, make St Louis own it and eat it. Meanwhile, on O, Kahuku has a FB on its roster--Sekope Latu--who's 248 lbs. Perhaps he can be a blocking-back for Nawahine; he's big enough to clean-out St Louis' LBs, hopefully. Heck, he's big enough to be a D-lineman. He's also 6'3".

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:50 pm
gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 pm You can bet St. Louis will go with an empty backfield on many possessions. The question is can Kahuku stop that?
@gopunahou: You would hope they could. I mean, for me it's very frustrating to see St Louis having the success they're having, with virtually no run game. To me, it's almost annoying, like it shouldn't be happening somehow. I mean, lots of schools run the ball all night, and have virtually no pass game. But to see the obverse, is quite rare. gopunahou, we both want Kahuku to win. Thank goodness Kahuku has a good D; at least we can hope that they might be able to do something about St Louis Airlines. LB Ah You needs to have a monster game. He needs to be in Cordeiro's face-mask on as many plays as he can. And, when he can get his paws on him, he needs to get into his head. Kahuku's defensive front-seven, as a unit, needs to throw-off Cordeiro's timing, make him unload the ball sooner than he'd like. Would that they could all get into his head. Of course, a lot of it will depend on Kahuku's DC, too. There's something almost arrogant about St Louis' O, like: "We're gonna throw the ball on almost every down; what are you gonna do about it?" I sure hope Kahuku's DC and defensive front-seven can find a way to somehow make St Louis' pass game eat it. An empty St Louis backfield on almost every play is almost like a taunt. If you can, Kahuku, make St Louis own it and eat it. Meanwhile, on O, Kahuku has a FB on its roster--Sekope Latu--who's 248 lbs. Perhaps he can be a blocking-back for Nawahine; he's big enough to clean-out St Louis' LBs, hopefully. Heck, he's big enough to be a D-lineman. He's also 6'3".
Kahuku seems to have the defense to make St. Louis RB's beat them. However, giving up 31 points to Mililani is disconcerting if you are a Kahuku fan. St. Louis had a better defensive showing against them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 pm
Kahuku seems to have the defense to make St. Louis RB's beat them. However, giving up 31 points to Mililani is disconcerting if you are a Kahuku fan. St. Louis had a better defensive showing against them.
@gopunahou: Well, if Kahuku's D is able to contain St Louis' pass game, I would think St Louis would be in big trouble, as they don't have much of a run game. When you talk about St Louis RBs, who are they? And, while Kahuku surrendered 31 points to Mililani, St Louis surrendered 23 to them, right? That's only one TD fewer. It's too bad that Kahuku doesn't have the pass game that Mililani has. I think that makes it all the more important that Kahuku's D really clamp-down on St Louis' pass game. I think Kahuku has a better D than Mililani, especially in the secondary, and how important is that against a pass-heavy school like St Louis? Also, I'd like to see Kahuku try to run the ball up St Louis' butt. Pass on occasion, but run when you can. I also hope Kahuku QB Maiava's foot will be healed. Can't have him limping, especially when he has to throw the ball. Hard to evade St Louis' D when you're limping.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 am

@gopunahou: Well, if Kahuku's D is able to contain St Louis' pass game, I would think St Louis would be in big trouble, as they don't have much of a run game. When you talk about St Louis RBs, who are they? And, while Kahuku surrendered 31 points to Mililani, St Louis surrendered 23 to them, right? That's only one TD fewer. It's too bad that Kahuku doesn't have the pass game that Mililani has. I think that makes it all the more important that Kahuku's D really clamp-down on St Louis' pass game. I think Kahuku has a better D than Mililani, especially in the secondary, and how important is that against a pass-heavy school like St Louis? Also, I'd like to see Kahuku try to run the ball up St Louis' butt. Pass on occasion, but run when you can. I also hope Kahuku QB Maiava's foot will be healed. Can't have him limping, especially when he has to throw the ball. Hard to evade St Louis' D when you're limping.
They’ve used two guys: Tomanico and Tumpap to my knowledge. But a lot of times these last couple of weeks they’ve gone with an empty set. Isn’t that what killed Kahuku last year—when they went with an empty set?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 am
They’ve used two guys: Tomanico and Tumpap to my knowledge. But a lot of times these last couple of weeks they’ve gone with an empty set. Isn’t that what killed Kahuku last year—when they went with an empty set?
@gopunahou: That's what's worrying me, and that's despite the fact that St Louis has even less of a run game than they did last year. I hope this year's game won't be a repeat of last year's. What bothers me is that St Louis again has a QB who can scramble very well. Seems to me that last year, Tagovailoa hurt Kahuku more with his running than his passing. I hope Cordeiro doesn't do the same thing this year. I hope Kahuku has the same DC as last year, so he'll remember what happened last year, and try to counteract, try to prevent a repeat. Somehow I think Kahuku's secondary will play a big role; after all, St Louis is so pass-heaby. I'm grateful that Kahuku's secondary is pretty good; I'm hoping for them to have a breakout night. It's not just Cordeiro's passing skills; it's his scrambling skills as well, though hopefully Kahuku's defensive front-seven will contain most of his scrambling. Kahuku's secondary has to worry too about St Louis receiver Quinn's speed; speed kills. Hopefully Kahuku's defensive front-seven can get to Cordeiro before he can get the long ball to Quinn. Kahuku's LBs also need to watch for the shorter screen passes to Quinn. You get the impression that if Kahuku is going to carry the day, the task will fall heavily to their defense. GO RED RAIDERS!! :)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

@ HS Football Fanatic
I think St. Louis opponents come in using a gameplan of making them their RBs beat them. The only team that’s come close to succeeding is KSK (2nd game where SLS only scored 23 pts). Maybe Kahuku can do some of the things KSK did and keep the SLS offense off the field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 am @ HS Football Fanatic
I think St. Louis opponents come in using a gameplan of making them their RBs beat them. The only team that’s come close to succeeding is KSK (2nd game where SLS only scored 23 pts). Maybe Kahuku can do some of the things KSK did and keep the SLS offense off the field.
@gopunahou: Excellent observations. It would seem that in football, anything Kamehameha did, Kahuku can do better. So, if Kamehameha's D held St Louis to 23 pts, Kahuku's D can do the same. Problem: genks said St Louis was "sleepwalking" in that Kamehameha game. I.e., St Louis' O was off that night. Can we count on them being off this coming game? No. Hopefully they will be, but there's no guarantee. Now, Kamehameha has a good D, but I think Kahuku's is better, especially the secondary. And, of course, you keep St Louis' O off the field by keeping your O on. You would think that Kahuku has just the right O for that: A run-heavy O with a good O-line and a good RB. Kamehameha also had a good O-line and a decent RB in Shannon. The good thing is that Kahuku has a better RB in Nawahine. He didn't get very many yards the last two games; I hope he has a breakout game this coming weekend. Kahuku also has some RBs who are bigger than Nawahine; presumably they could do more damage against St Louis' LBs, or they could serve as blocking-backs for Nawahine. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd like for Kahuku to try to run the ball up St Louis' butt. Would that Kahuku might have a punishing, clock-eating, pigskin-monopolizing power run-game.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I think Tunpap may be injured. I’d hate to spread misinformation but I could’ve sworn I read or heard that somewhere. I apologize if that isn’t true.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 am

@gopunahou: That's what's worrying me, and that's despite the fact that St Louis has even less of a run game than they did last year. I hope this year's game won't be a repeat of last year's. What bothers me is that St Louis again has a QB who can scramble very well. Seems to me that last year, Tagovailoa hurt Kahuku more with his running than his passing. I hope Cordeiro doesn't do the same thing this year. I hope Kahuku has the same DC as last year, so he'll remember what happened last year, and try to counteract, try to prevent a repeat. Somehow I think Kahuku's secondary will play a big role; after all, St Louis is so pass-heaby. I'm grateful that Kahuku's secondary is pretty good; I'm hoping for them to have a breakout night. It's not just Cordeiro's passing skills; it's his scrambling skills as well, though hopefully Kahuku's defensive front-seven will contain most of his scrambling. Kahuku's secondary has to worry too about St Louis receiver Quinn's speed; speed kills. Hopefully Kahuku's defensive front-seven can get to Cordeiro before he can get the long ball to Quinn. Kahuku's LBs also need to watch for the shorter screen passes to Quinn. You get the impression that if Kahuku is going to carry the day, the task will fall heavily to their defense. GO RED RAIDERS!! :)
I will say this about Chevan and Tua and scrambling. Tua is definetly stronger, but Chevan is faster. Chevan has equally good vision when it comes to running around or between defenders as Tua but Chevan will cover more ground. He will also stick to the play longer and look for a receiver. This year has been a treat watching Chevan and I only wish he could’ve played more last year. If he’s this good in his first year starting, imagine him after 2 or 3 years of experience.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27 pm

I think Tunpap may be injured. I’d hate to spread misinformation but I could’ve sworn I read or heard that somewhere. I apologize if that isn’t true.
@genks: Even if it's true, it's not a problem for St Louis. The way they throw the ball, they probably don't need any RBs, period. When you're St Louis, you just shrug your shoulder to something like that and say, "Oh well. Sorry it happened, but no problem." It's almost like it's only a mere hiccup in St Louis' O.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm
I will say this about Chevan and Tua and scrambling. Tua is definetly stronger, but Chevan is faster. Chevan has equally good vision when it comes to running around or between defenders as Tua but Chevan will cover more ground. He will also stick to the play longer and look for a receiver. This year has been a treat watching Chevan and I only wish he could’ve played more last year. If he’s this good in his first year starting, imagine him after 2 or 3 years of experience.
@genks: As it stands, I take St Louis' side only when they play Punahou or Mililani, so to be perfectly honest with you, I'm glad Cordeiro is a senior. I don't know how St Louis gets these kick-butt QBs year after year. For some twenty years now, St Louis School has been called a QB factory. Granted, Passas is probably the best high-school QB coach in the state, but I think St Louis' QBs have had a knack for the position as soon as they arrived on campus. It seems that only Punahou, Mililani, and Leilehua have even come close to having the kind of QBs St Louis has had, for anywhere near as long as it has. St Louis School is basically a QB magnet. Dating back to the mid-1980s, their list of great QBs is sick. It's just one of those things.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:08 pm

@genks: As it stands, I take St Louis' side only when they play Punahou or Mililani, so to be perfectly honest with you, I'm glad Cordeiro is a senior. I don't know how St Louis gets these kick-butt QBs year after year. For some twenty years now, St Louis School has been called a QB factory. Granted, Passas is probably the best high-school QB coach in the state, but I think St Louis' QBs have had a knack for the position as soon as they arrived on campus. It seems that only Punahou, Mililani, and Leilehua have even come close to having the kind of QBs St Louis has had, for anywhere near as long as it has. St Louis School is basically a QB magnet. Dating back to the mid-1980s, their list of great QBs is sick. It's just one of those things.
I think all factors. Parents of young QBs are probably attracted to the pass first offense, of course being developed under the care of Coach Passas. If I had a son that showed potential early as a qb, I’d 100% send him to ST Louis to play. So many qbs get college scholarships coming out of this school. I’d feel the same i had a WR son that has speed and hands, send him to a school known for good qbs.

Last season, Chevan did score on the Punahou 1st team defense, but usually when he went it he just handed off the ball. We didn’t really see him throw. Definetly didn’t see the extent of his scrambling ability. Only watching scrimmages did I finally see him pass and wow, I was pleasantly very surprised. Coach Cal and Coach Ron had said they believe in him 100% in the beginning of this season but we didn’t see it yet. Ppeople used to comment “oh not Tua, you got no qb” and “ no qb to hit those WRs” man how wrong can you be

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 pm

I think all factors. Parents of young QBs are probably attracted to the pass first offense, of course being developed under the care of Coach Passas. If I had a son that showed potential early as a qb, I’d 100% send him to ST Louis to play. So many qbs get college scholarships coming out of this school. I’d feel the same i had a WR son that has speed and hands, send him to a school known for good qbs.

Last season, Chevan did score on the Punahou 1st team defense, but usually when he went it he just handed off the ball. We didn’t really see him throw. Definetly didn’t see the extent of his scrambling ability. Only watching scrimmages did I finally see him pass and wow, I was pleasantly very surprised. Coach Cal and Coach Ron had said they believe in him 100% in the beginning of this season but we didn’t see it yet. Ppeople used to comment “oh not Tua, you got no qb” and “ no qb to hit those WRs” man how wrong can you be
@genks: Well, when St Louis has an assistant coach like Ron Lee and a QB coach like Passas, it's hard to imagine them ever "running out" of good QBs. Wasn't Ron one of the first coaches to bring the run-and-shoot to Hawaii high-school football, when he was at Kaiser High in the mid-1970s? And of course, Passas' reputation as a QB coach speaks for itself. Even so, I would probably just have my kid attend the public school he's supposed to attend, based on our place of residence. Even if St Louis offered an athletic scholarship, I'm not so sure I'd send him there. If we lived relatively close to St Louis School, I might consider it, but, I'm not Catholic. Yes, you don't have to be Catholic to attend St Louis School, but there is that element. Secondly, I have concerns about the fact that St Louis is an all-boys school. I prefer co-ed high-schools, as kids can learn to interact normally with kids of the opposite sex. I've never been a supporter of single-gender schools. If we lived far from St Louis School, I wouldn't have my kid attend. Just go to the "neighborhood" public school (or, the school you're supposed to attend. If you live in Mayor Wright Homes, for example, Farrington High is your "neighborhood" school; it's only a few blocks away, and you can walk there in ten to fifteen minutes. Yet, Mayor Wright kids are assigned to McKinley High instead, which is quite further away.) I think kids need to learn to operate in an environment that's not too sheltered. In a public high-school, you learn to interact with kids from all walks of life; I think that's a valuable life lesson. Even if the "neighborhood" public high-school's football team isn't that good, a kid can learn from an experience like that, too. I think that all of those things I mentioned, collectively, constitute a life lesson that helps kids deal with life.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm
genks wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 pm

@genks: Well, when St Louis has an assistant coach like Ron Lee and a QB coach like Passas, it's hard to imagine them ever "running out" of good QBs. Wasn't Ron one of the first coaches to bring the run-and-shoot to Hawaii high-school football, when he was at Kaiser High in the mid-1970s? And of course, Passas' reputation as a QB coach speaks for itself. Even so, I would probably just have my kid attend the public school he's supposed to attend, based on our place of residence. Even if St Louis offered an athletic scholarship, I'm not so sure I'd send him there. If we lived relatively close to St Louis School, I might consider it, but, I'm not Catholic. Yes, you don't have to be Catholic to attend St Louis School, but there is that element. Secondly, I have concerns about the fact that St Louis is an all-boys school. I prefer co-ed high-schools, as kids can learn to interact normally with kids of the opposite sex. I've never been a supporter of single-gender schools. If we lived far from St Louis School, I wouldn't have my kid attend. Just go to the "neighborhood" public school (or, the school you're supposed to attend. If you live in Mayor Wright Homes, for example, Farrington High is your "neighborhood" school; it's only a few blocks away, and you can walk there in ten to fifteen minutes. Yet, Mayor Wright kids are assigned to McKinley High instead, which is quite further away.) I think kids need to learn to operate in an environment that's not too sheltered. In a public high-school, you learn to interact with kids from all walks of life; I think that's a valuable life lesson. Even if the "neighborhood" public high-school's football team isn't that good, a kid can learn from an experience like that, too. I think that all of those things I mentioned, collectively, constitute a life lesson that helps kids deal with life.
I mean from purely a football centered point of view. For a kid that may use football as a vehicle to get into college, ST Louis is a good choice for. Qb. People have different views on schools as far as education goes.